Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG! We truly are a sisterhood united by a serious obsession!

Sherry, you and paulssandy ROCK! Dining rooms are soooo over-rated. Who needs 'em?

Amy, you're gonna love scrappin', I just know it!

Karrie, my first papercraft party--reluctantly attended--was a Creative Memories party. I thought these ladies were totally insane and completely irresponsible with their money. Who would pay this much for tape?!?!? (In my defense, DH and I had just gone from being DINKs to one income and a baby, and we were still adjusting.) I left, looked down at the page I'd made, and thought, "Gee, I just ruined six perfectly good photos." Well, I still think that I ruined those photos (the consultant had me crop them into odd shapes), but look who's spending more on tape than anyone else I know!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 PM   #42  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-- My first Stampin' Up! order was $150, I was pretty sure that nobody ever spent that much before!

-- I became a demo, but just for the accessories. I mean, I already have 3 stamp sets, what more could I need?

-- All of my embellishments fit into a tiny box labeled "Doo-dads"

-- I received a beautifully heat embossed card from a friend. I was on my way to the craft store to ask about the "special puffy ink" when I showed it to my mom and she explained about heat guns and embossing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

I agree - a world without SCS is not a happy world. I've been off this site for a while and I'm so much happier now that I'm back on.

I was told about SCS at the first stamping workshop that I attended and it was the best thing that demo ever did. I had a few odd stamps but once I saw everything on this site and started reading about all the techniques - well, lets just say I had to have one or two or three of everything. $$$$$$$$

I remember reading a thread with someone wanting to know what all the sharpie colors were. I thought who cares. I DO!

Last edited by cookiedecorator; 09-25-2007 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 07:30 PM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

This is too funny. I see myself in so many of you. Thanks for giving me a good laugh tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #45  
Gallery Gazer

Loved reading all the stories. I can echo most of the sentiments by most of you. I keep thinking I have enough stamps and then there is a new style I want to try and have to collect the stamps that go with that style. I think the funniest thing I remember thinking was that I had to do all my cards exactly the way the I saw them in the catalog. That was my only resource for samples at that time. I was ordering from my demo one time she finally told me that I could follow the basic pattern shown in the catalog but to use different stamps. I also called her and told her I needed to make a wedding card so needed a wedding set. She advised that one stamp could have many uses. Flowers or hearts for example, could be used for wedding cards. Wow that was news to me. How do you do that. I thought you had to have one stamp for one purpose. She also was the one that told me about SCS. That was the beginning of a whole new stamper. So many samples and so many ideas, so much money spent ordering all the great supplies I've seen used by other SCS members.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 07:46 PM   #46  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.:twisted:
ohm god that is to funny as i am married to a treky I to tell my hubby things like " no hunny i didnt buy this its Jamies ( my best friend) i just borrowed it from her.

i always thought that scrapbooking was stupid and i only went to my first SU! party to hang with Jamie and drink. i am now planning my new scrap room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 08:38 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,013 Likes on 867 Posts
Default silly

Well ladies, when I joined this site, there were less than 2500 members.....and it was easier to chat with each other, cause there were not pages and pages of newly uploaded cards for the day. One night, someone posted that they were drinking while they were stamping, and that she was really liking the cards she was making.....no pink elephants though.....Well, I do have a silly 'gene' -my Dad is 100% Silly Irish.....anyway, I decided to make the following cards- we were all laughing and having a good time. Here they are:
SC08 Beerstamping by mcschmidty at Splitcoaststampers

Then seeing pink elephants got even better:
Advanced beerstamping- spinning by mcschmidty at Splitcoaststampers

So, that is my version of silly.......

Hope you enjoyed it!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #48  
Glitter Queen

I just simply tell my husband "Ok, I have enough. I am not buying ANY MORE." Yeah, uh huh.

I remember going to my first SU party at my neighbor's house. It was fun, we made a great card, but she kept talking about the color families and matching them to the paper and so forth. I thought "That is the absolute silliest thing I have ever heard!" I can match my own stuff up.

Here I sit, drowning in matching paper, ink, brads, eyelets, etc. She now brings it up at every one of her shows. What inspiration I give! LOL!

Now I am a hobby demo that places more orders than I need per quarter...all for myself. It is a sickness I tell ya!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 AM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well I was going to save money 'cause I come from such a big family....I reckon that the current tally for each card I make is running in the $$$ because of all the goodies that I have! I wasnt going to get into stamping...I have over 1000, I wasnt going to get into scrapbooking...I have 4 scrapbooks and enough paper to redecorate the house waiting to be used!

But ya know what all that $$$$$$$ has bought me.......something that makes me relax, that brings out my creative side, led me to friends I would never have met, and also the knowledge what I do makes people smile! and that as they say is Priceless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think everyone of us thought or told someone that we would save so much money as I can make my own cards now instead of buying them. I also used this one on DH when I first started. Every year during Sellabration I buy about 200.00 worth of SU products. I am the hostess and the only buyer as I like the free sets! And of course then there is my SU stamper's 10 every month and I also am in a TAC group monthly. WOW no wonder DH banned me from Michaels, Joannes and Ebay! I know he tries to tally up how much I spend as he then "claims" he gets to spend the same amount on the boat or some tool for the garage. I silently tell myself if he does that then there would be less stamping money for me, so I don't let him know how much I really spend anymore!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:12 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

I guess for me it's, "I'm only gonna run in really quick and use my 40% off coupon and then I'm outta there!"

Two hours later.................. oopsie lol

I have absolutely loved reading everyone's responses. Can so identify with them all! Well, all but one. If I took the hobby too seriously, it wouldn't be fun for me and I would find something else to do that would make me relax, laugh, and have a good time. I decorate cakes on the side and if I began to take that too seriously or it because just a business, I'd become bored with it and walk away from it. If a hobby isn't fun or addictive to me, it doesn't last long at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:35 AM   #52  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
...But ya know what all that $$$$$$$ has bought me.......something that makes me relax, that brings out my creative side, led me to friends I would never have met, and also the knowledge what I do makes people smile! and that as they say is Priceless!
Too true, jukie!

Now, do you have the set Priceless? SU will be in England soon, and you know you need it......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:49 AM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

My funny quote is not mine but DH ... every time we go to San Antonio (3 hour trip to any crafting store) we have to stop at Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Scrapbook Heaven and DH says ... "You mean there is something stamping you don't have?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:51 AM   #54  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRStamperView Post
"You mean there is something stamping you don't have?"
You do have to be very vigilant about these kinds of things... something new might come out and you definitely don't wanna miss it! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 04:43 AM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by DixieCurlView Post
You do have to be very vigilant about these kinds of things... something new might come out and you definitely don't wanna miss it! ;)
LOL! So true!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 06:09 AM   #56  
Compulsive Stamper

A stamp, an ink pad (black) and a piece of paper (white, of course). Now how many cards are going to look good enough to send? Not many, or so I thought. How can you possibly get addicted to this? Well fast forward a few years and lots more stamps (just got to have that one), more ink pads (lots more colors - oh so pretty colors), and paper and more paper and more paper. Don't have a DH to answer to - so if I have to eat bologna sandwiches for a while that is OK. Lot of classes (like to learn new things), and I keep buying lots of tools that are a must have, more stamps, more ink pads, and lots and lots of that pretty paper. I have one piece of paper that I have had for over 3 years - it is just too pretty to cut - and if I do cut it who is special enough to receive it? It terrifies me to even begin to try and determine how many $$$$ I have gladly spent on this non addicting hobby. By BIL once asked how much stamp stuff I had, my comment - probably enough to buy a really, really good used vehicle. Does SUV sound good? Did I say there isn't much you can do with a stamp, an ink pad, and a piece of paper? Boy was I wrong!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

I thought stamping would be a good hobby to keep me out of the stores and I would stop spending so much money and contribute to the savings account. I became SU Demo to get the discount. I became my own best customer! Had to have $150 order so I didn't miss out on FREE stuff. Ha! Needed everything - had to have newest stamp sets plus tools, paper, inks, embellishments, punches. Then found Michaels, JoAnns, online ordering - no end to it. DH gave me one of our spare rooms and set up a wonderful stamping/scrapping area. Said now that I could find everything, I didn't need to buy more! OH MY - I can't promise that! SU orders - they are for someone else. ONLINE orders - send to my friend's house. STAMPING room - I've outgrown it. SAVINGS ACCOUNT - What savings account?

And I love every minute of it!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:27 AM   #58  
Kookie Creator

I just introduced my boyfriend to stamping which immediately stopped any and all comments about my craft supplies, the money they cost, and the room they take up. The only worry I have now is that his supplies mean less room for mine in the craft room lol. Hope I haven't created a monster!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #59  
Inking Addict

My famous line I use everytime I buy something is: "Honey, thats it for a while, I'm not buying anything else until I use up what I've got".

Yeah....okay.....lol!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustStarting2StampView Post
My famous line I use everytime I buy something is: "Honey, thats it for a while, I'm not buying anything else until I use up what I've got".

Yeah....okay.....lol!!
I actually used that line on my DH. I said "Honey, I am on a self imposed spending stoppage. I will not buy ANYTHING unless it is necessary for a particular project". I have done really well too. I only bought those 30 composition notebooks (at 3/$1) because I was going to alter them for baby shower favors. I did it too.

Now, fast forward a couple of weeks and I am trying to put together a project. Well, I am spitting and sputtering because it is not working out like I had planned. DH asks me why I am having so much difficulty on this one. I tell him that I think it is the adhesive...I ran out of my good stuff and I am trying to use up the other stuff I have laying around. Well, after about 30 minutes of me grumbling he says "why don't you go buy your adhesive?" I tell him that I still have adhesive and I am trying to be good and not spend money. I wil get it to work. Well, after another 30 minutes he comes up to me and says "Please...I am begging you GO SPEND SOME MONEY".

OK....so he might have regretted that after I got back with my 3 bags from M's and J's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #61  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4BiddlesView Post
I actually used that line on my DH. I said "Honey, I am on a self imposed spending stoppage. I will not buy ANYTHING unless it is necessary for a particular project". I have done really well too. I only bought those 30 composition notebooks (at 3/$1) because I was going to alter them for baby shower favors. I did it too.

Now, fast forward a couple of weeks and I am trying to put together a project. Well, I am spitting and sputtering because it is not working out like I had planned. DH asks me why I am having so much difficulty on this one. I tell him that I think it is the adhesive...I ran out of my good stuff and I am trying to use up the other stuff I have laying around. Well, after about 30 minutes of me grumbling he says "why don't you go buy your adhesive?" I tell him that I still have adhesive and I am trying to be good and not spend money. I wil get it to work. Well, after another 30 minutes he comes up to me and says "Please...I am begging you GO SPEND SOME MONEY".

OK....so he might have regretted that after I got back with my 3 bags from M's and J's

HAHAHAH I know EXACTLY what you mean. Too funny!! Actually, thanks for the reminder, I do need adhesive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 PM   #62  
First To Quack

Quote:

Originally Posted by SherryLC05View Post
I stumbled across this thread and I almost PIMP laughing so hard! I have been stamping about a year and a half and I remember when I had a "Stamping Drawer" in my dining room! I thought that was a pretty big deal and I made no bones in telling my family about it. ha ha ha! now my dining room has become my stamping room that we occasionally eat in! LOL! What a difference a year makes!
LOL, been there! I had a Rubbermaid sweater box marked STAMPS. That lasted about 2 weeks. Now I have a wonderful room just for me full of goodies. See my gallery!!!!! :p

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 PM   #63  
First To Quack

Hey, BTW, buying stamps does not add fat to my butt like buying cookies! Just sayin'

Cards from the Cabana
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #64  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachboundView Post
Hey, BTW, buying stamps does not add fat to my butt like buying cookies! Just sayin'

You crack me up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I have to tell you my stamping adventure is totally Karma. How so you ask? Let me elaborate.

My SIL has been a stamper for years and years and years . . . can you tell she is a little older than me? She tried to get me interested a long time ago and I retorted that I was involved in so many crafts that I couldn't imagine taking up anything else (silly me). I would just enjoy the fruits of her labor . . . yada, yada, yada.

In 1998 my DH and I moved to Fredericksburg VA for his job and we built a lovely house in a cul-de-sac with wonderful neighbors. When we got to know the couple across the street, I discovered the wife was a new Stampin' Up demo (uh, oh, shivers up my spine). I agreed to attend a workshop and took my DD who was visiting us. We had a great time and I decided to buy a black stamp pad and one stamp set (Quilts Give Comfort).

To make a long story short that was many thousands of dollars ago . . . I no longer have that stamp set (never could determine why I thought I would use it anyway, just not my style).

Oh yeah, where does the Karma come into place, you ask? I digress very easily and often . . . oh yeah, sorry.

When we moved back to (wonderful, dry) Arizona in 2002 we started looking for a house (ya gotta know those apartments just don't have enough room for stamping supplies). After a few months of searching, we found a beautiful home in a neighborhood that really appealed to us. When we walked in and looked outside to the back yard my husband and I turned to the realtor and said - it's sold!

Still no Karma, right? Remember that digressing issue I told you about?

As I walked through the house, I found a lovely little room with a built-in countertop, cabinets, tall storage cabinets - no, it wasn't the kitchen. On the countertop was (gasp) a Stampin' Up pad of grid paper. I screamed (well, actually I called out - Honey, come here please.). Would you look at this, the lady of the house is a STAMPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Imagine the look of glee on my husband's face (glee - grimace, I never could tell the difference between those two faces).

Finally the Karma mystery solved. Whew!

Needless to say the stamp room has been filled and (almost) emptied many times over. It has been organized, reorganized, re-reorganized - well, you get the picture. And I still love it as much as I did the day I first entered it.

Sigh.

Gulp, is there a point to this story? Did I hijack this thread? Remember I do have this problem (see above).

I guess this isn't really a story about a silly thing I have done regarding papercrafting, but I sure think it is silly how I was able to justify to myself how my stamping habit is Karma. :::Snort:::
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:59 PM   #66  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh, Alyce, that is a great story!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

You know, when I bought this house I was thinking of my family in mind....2 kids plus a guest room for (all) of my out of state relatives. Boy, next house I'll be looking for the scrapping/stamping potential!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #68  
Compulsive Stamper

I just made plans this afternoon to spend Saturday stamping with a friend and her mother. These two ladies attended their first Stampin Up workshop two weeks ago. They don't even have their orders yet. I asked if I could bring anything in particular to share for stamping and was told - "Mom's order should be in by the time we get there. She ordered two stamp sets and has some colored paper. I think that is everything that we need."

Two stamp sets and some colored paper - I'm basically packing up my entire stamping room. These two are in trouble but I have a feeling their SU demo is going to be very happy for quite some time.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 AM   #69  
Watercolor Wizard

Awww, isn't that sweet? Darla's gonna enable...oops, I mean "educate" them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #70  
Compulsive Stamper

Enabling makes the world go around!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #71  
Mad Swapper

Like so many others I do try the "no buying until I've used....." line. Doesn't work too well, though I do manage to slow way down when it's getting close to Christmas time to give dh a chance :P
Reply With Quote Likes