Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazzyScrapperView Post
I think I have an eye of color but I have to take my time with my cards. I don't have an particular style but I love trying new techniques. I don't really know what my strength is.
I noticed you've done a bit of masking lately. I especially like your love and peacock card. I also really like how you but the gems all over the peacock.
Kelli ~ "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Proverbs 16:24
My blog ~ My Gallery 2018 Scrap Goal 8/12
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:15 PM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm still working on my strengths and such. Sometimes I make a nice card, then I think "I really like this". Sometimes I think I make a nice card and then wonder what in the world I was thinking. People seem to like my brayered cards, so I would say brayered landscape style cards might be my strength.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:18 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Holy cow, some of my favoritest stampers are in here! I am extremely left brained so I have a tendency to want everything to be in a line - actually, a straight line - cannot for the life of me mix patterned papers and, even though I have a 'picture' in my mind's eye, I can't execute it a lot of the time. On the other hand, I am willing to practice coloring with prismas and baby oil and watercolor for hours on end, so maybe that is my strength. I can also take hours, heck, days, to make a card and I never can figure out how people do the challenges so quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickadee3357View Post
wow. This is a different thread. I love reading the posts on this.

I don't know what my strength is. I mainly scrapbook and my cards aren't that great, but they are better than they were a year ago. So I guess I'm improving. I take forever to make a scrapbook page. Longer than Judy's two hour cards. I generally spend 3 or 4 I would guess, plus more just mulling it over in my mind.
You have beautiful scrapbook pages! I think you are good at use of color, you must get that from your scrapbooking skills. I love that we can look back on splitcoast and see how we have improved over the past year. So cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:28 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whim6915View Post
Holy cow, some of my favoritest stampers are in here! I am extremely left brained so I have a tendency to want everything to be in a line - actually, a straight line - cannot for the life of me mix patterned papers and, even though I have a 'picture' in my mind's eye, I can't execute it a lot of the time. On the other hand, I am willing to practice coloring with prismas and baby oil and watercolor for hours on end, so maybe that is my strength. I can also take hours, heck, days, to make a card and I never can figure out how people do the challenges so quickly.
This left-brained stamper knew there was a reason she was crazy about you, Christine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Being able to watercolor for hours to practice your skill is definately a good thing. I get so fed up with watercoloring so fast that I rarely do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazylizardView Post
I thought it might be fun for all of us stampers to take a self evaluation of what we think our strong suits are in our artistry. Do you have a good eye for color and what goes together well?
No.

Quote:

Do you know how to put different things together?
Sometimes, but, more often, no.

Quote:

Do you have one particular style you find yourself doing?
Mmmmm, yes . . .

Quote:

Is it in the layering for you?
Definitely no.

Quote:

Do you love contrast and texture?
Yes, I do love them!

Quote:

What element of art is your specialty?
A plain white card or OLC . . . I think . . .

Quote:

Think about it and let us know. We can visit your gallery and see if we agree!! I don't know if this has already been done before, but I missed it if it has. I thought this would be fun.

Personally, I think I am good with color, and I love working on the layouts of my cards.

Next.....
That was an interesting question! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by annascreationsView Post
You have beautiful scrapbook pages! I think you are good at use of color, you must get that from your scrapbooking skills. I love that we can look back on splitcoast and see how we have improved over the past year. So cool!
Thank you. I like that I can look back in some ways and in others I want to forget some of those old cards.

Also, I really like your cards. I think you are really good with ribbon. You use it on a lot of your cards and I think you place it really well. Does that sound silly. I guess I just feel totally inept with how to do things with ribbon. But I really like it!
Kelli ~ "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Proverbs 16:24
My blog ~ My Gallery 2018 Scrap Goal 8/12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:54 PM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Lynn, you made me smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I think you have made a great point. When we have an eye for what works for us on our own stuff, that is a great skill to have as well. I know there is a fine line when too much stuff is just too much. You gotta know when to stop before it's overdone. I love great clean and simple cards that are of great design and non-smudged (like mine too often are). There is really nothing more elegant than that style of card. You have some great ones in your gallery. I have to agree with your accessment of your coloring skills as well. That's the one I am trying to improve on.
there are some people though that pile on the stuff and it looks great.. i would love to do that style everntually.. for now i'm happy colouring and figurin' out layouts and such..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

i consider myself a B average card maker, most times i am fine at none of my cards being perfect, but i think my best feature would be to try and incorporate two or more different stamp sets onto one card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #52  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Wow, Christine, I think you are a whiz with textures. Your coloring is amazing too. I think you have some beautiful cards in your gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

[quote=elaina fuller;13061429]i consider myself a B average card maker, most times i am fine at none of my cards being perfect, but i think my best feature would be to try and incorporate two or more different stamp sets onto one card.[/quote

Loved visiting your gallery and you are correct about how good you are in combining stamp sets. I'm sure Stampin' Up's biggest drawing card for me was that they put stamps together for me. I'm not real great at that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #54  
Insane Embellisher

i love your cards, and have fav'd them many times, i still have to get around making them though
Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #55  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
No.

Sometimes, but, more often, no.

Mmmmm, yes . . .

Definitely no.

Yes, I do love them!

A plain white card or OLC . . . I think . . .

That was an interesting question! Thank you!
LOL... Julie is a woman of few words.. but she gets the job done! ~ Julie, you know.... YOU JUST ROCK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #56  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=lazylizard;13062077]
Quote:

Originally Posted by elaina fullerView Post
i consider myself a B average card maker, most times i am fine at none of my cards being perfect, but i think my best feature would be to try and incorporate two or more different stamp sets onto one card.[/quote

Loved visiting your gallery and you are correct about how good you are in combining stamp sets. I'm sure Stampin' Up's biggest drawing card for me was that they put stamps together for me. I'm not real great at that.
thanks for visiting my gallery, i also went to see yours, and especially like all those christian cards, had to fav some more. you do great work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

tee hee, now this is a thread I haven't seen before! Kind of scary to partake, but here goes... (then I'm off to see if I agree with all your self-assessments!) So I TRY to put my own unique twist on everything, not that it always happens... and I think I'm pretty good at taking someone else's card and seeing what I'd change so that it is "me". KWIM? I do really enjoy finding unique color combos too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:23 PM   #58  
Insane Embellisher

your cards are adorable, did you hear about the new splitcoast challenge for clean and simple cards, thought you'd be great for that challenge, love your work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
there are some people though that pile on the stuff and it looks great.. i would love to do that style everntually.. for now i'm happy colouring and figurin' out layouts and such..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #59  
Insane Embellisher

very nice gallery, so clean, i have some of yours fav'd already but didn't know till i saw the cards, i do like your work
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristin MooreView Post
tee hee, now this is a thread I haven't seen before! Kind of scary to partake, but here goes... (then I'm off to see if I agree with all your self-assessments!) So I TRY to put my own unique twist on everything, not that it always happens... and I think I'm pretty good at taking someone else's card and seeing what I'd change so that it is "me". KWIM? I do really enjoy finding unique color combos too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #60  
Mad Swapper

I think my strengths watercoloring and having an eye for colors (most of the time).

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

what an interesting question, Liz...and when I try to think about what I do well....

I love to CUT. I love pattern and texture.

what I am not good with:

I have a hard time using ribbon on my work. I keep asking for a SCS School of Ribbon Placement and Knot Tying, but no one takes me seriously!

My vision for my art is I have to let the image or the paper speak to me, I know that might sound crazy, but I have to 'feel' my work. I consider each piece a work of art. Every piece and elements has a story around it.

When I read a comment, like, oh, I spotted yours without seeing your name, or I just knew that was yours in the gallery...I truly don't know what my style is...if anyone else does, I would love for you to inform me. I do know I like to distress things!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Wow, my own horn tooter isn't working!

Well, as I think about it, I usually do my best/favorite work when I am pressured to get something done for a club, etc.

And, I get the greatest challenges from my dearest friends/club members who ask me to try something they want to see ~ I have really stretched to meet some of those requests and have been pleased with the results.

Ok, I hear a squeak out of my horn.

Thanks for asking, it sure is hard to talk about our good attributes ~ Oh, I like to laugh at own work too!

www.yappinboutstampin.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #63  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by One4JoyView Post
what an interesting question, Liz...and when I try to think about what I do well....

I love to CUT. I love pattern and texture.

what I am not good with:

I have a hard time using ribbon on my work. I keep asking for a SCS School of Ribbon Placement and Knot Tying, but no one takes me seriously!

My vision for my art is I have to let the image or the paper speak to me, I know that might sound crazy, but I have to 'feel' my work. I consider each piece a work of art. Every piece and elements has a story around it.

When I read a comment, like, oh, I spotted yours without seeing your name, or I just knew that was yours in the gallery...I truly don't know what my style is...if anyone else does, I would love for you to inform me. I do know I like to distress things!!!
Susan, I think the reason I can pick your cards out is because they always have a message that challenges the intellect!! Your work speaks to me, so I think you are defintely accomplishing what you are after. I love how your art speaks to my soul and intelligence. KWIM? BTW, I don't even miss the ribbon on your cards because there is always something more interesting to look at on your one of a kind cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:18 PM   #64  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmartinView Post
Well, as I think about it, I usually do my best/favorite work when I am pressured to get something done for a club, etc.

And, I get the greatest challenges from my dearest friends/club members who ask me to try something they want to see ~ I have really stretched to meet some of those requests and have been pleased with the results.

Ok, I hear a squeak out of my horn.

Thanks for asking, it sure is hard to talk about our good attributes ~ Oh, I like to laugh at own work too!
I think the point of this thread was to realize that the things that we are good at that makes our cards perhaps unique in some way is truely the things that shine forth in our work. Surprisingly, I have found that true today. I think it is in our confidence (call it horn tootin' if you like) that we grow to be even better!! I have to agree that those requests and challenges of others really help us put out our good efforts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 08:34 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I thought it might be fun for all of us stampers to take a self evaluation of what we think our strong suits are in our artistry. Do you have a good eye for color and what goes together well? Do you know how to put different things together? Do you have one particular style you find yourself doing? Is it in the layering for you? Do you love contrast and texture?What element of art is your specialty? Think about it and let us know. We can visit your gallery and see if we agree!! I don't know if this has already been done before, but I missed it if it has. I thought this would be fun.

Personally, I think I am good with color, and I love working on the layouts of my cards.

Next.....

Subscribing - Great thread!

Okay, I'll try my luck at answering too. I choose colors based on what I think the recipient would like. If I am not creating for a specific person, I usually choose comfortable favorites. I want my style to be varied, but I aspire that people can someday say "oh that's a chrisations design!" I like to layer, and I enjoy the CAS too. I'd say my strengths lie in combining textures and patterns that compliment the focal point. I like to do the out of the ordinary with ribbon treatment too.
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am learning so much from reading this. I have looked at everyone's gallery and can see what you mean about your strengths. I CASE a lot, do challenges as practice to learn about balance and colors. Thanks for your comments about me using texture - never realized that. This thread is really helping me see what I do right, what I can work on, and see what other people do that attracts me to their cards. Awesome thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:52 AM   #67  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Christine m., I love how your cards do have a very strong focal point and you do make good use of the textures and shapes to even bring that out all the more. Wow, I'm with the other Christine about how much I have learned from understanding the artist more hearing them tell us about their knack at their art and then getting to check it out in their galleries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #68  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

OK Here's mine...

Eye for color: so-so
Different things together: yes
Particular style: yes
Layering: not a fan of matted layers
Contrast and Texture: It's all about texture!
Specialty: hmmm...stitching, scrappy stamped cards
Coloring: good with Copics, need to work on watercolor
Not great with: creating scenes
Layouts: ok but could be better.
Also: I can't tie a decent bow to save my life!

Thanks for the interesting start to the morning!

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:41 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a tough question, and I wasn't going to post at first either. After looking through my gallery, though, I think my strength is probably making pretty, simple cards with minimal layers and embellishments. Another one of my strengths, although you can't really tell from my gallery, is making cards in a style that matching the recipients' personalities.

Awesome thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #70  
Glitter Guru

let me see...

Do you have a good eye for color combinations? I think so...I've been working on expanding my color slate to include red which I don't use very often.

Do you know how to put different things together? I have problems with embellishments other than brads, gemstones, and half pearls. If it isn't small and round, I really have no idea where to put it.

Do you have one particular style you prefer? YES! I like my cards to have clean crisp lines and a specific focal point.

Is it in the layering for you? Nope. I find that the fewer layers I use, the easier the design is to complete.

Do you love contrast and texture? I definitely like contrast and I try to balance the textures in my design as well.

What element of art is your specialty? Balance. All of the elements on my project should be perfectly balanced in coordination with my focal point.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

very nice gallery, so clean, i have some of yours fav'd already but didn't know till i saw the cards, i do like your work
Ooh, thank you Elaina! How sweet of you to say! I'm off to check out your gallery now- I bet I'll find the same thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 AM   #72  
Gallery Gazer

I'm really good collecting stuff and spending hours online for more stuff to collect. And I can spend a whole Saturday on one card!

I think my strong suit is "whimsical"-I just love to work with American Craft paper & The Cat's Pajamas stamps. I also like to think that I think outside the box sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #73  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I'm in the process of checkin' all your galleries out and man, I have seen some fabulous work!! Some I'm familiar with, some I'm not so this is a great opportunity to see it all! I definitely need to spend more time in the gallery ...

Quote:

Do you have a good eye for color and what goes together well?
I'd like to think so, but sometimes it just doesn't happen ...
Quote:

sometimes
Quote:

nope
Quote:

I do love layers!
Quote:

I always try to have an element of contrast and texture, a skill I'm trying to learn more of.
Quote:

I don't know if I have a corner on anything or could call something my "specialty".

There are many skills that others are far superior with, but I know that when I look at other's cards, I try to question it: what impact does this card have? why do I feel it has that impact? ... sort of dissect a card so I can learn more.

I have definitely changed over the past few years as I've participated in different challenges (personal and ones here). I really really want to learn how to use my Copic markers better. I just have to develop the patience to read and practice ...

Thanks for this thread! It's neat seeing what people feel are their strong points, their weaknesses
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:05 AM   #74  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post
LOL... Julie is a woman of few words.. but she gets the job done! ~ Julie, you know.... YOU JUST ROCK!
LOL! Thanks, Toy! I guess I should clarify more--

Originally Posted by lazylizard
Do you have a good eye for color and what goes together well?

No. -- I can't think the combos up on my own, but, I can usually take a color combo I can see works well from somewhere else and apply it. ;)

Quote:
  • Sometimes, but, more often, no. --I tend to feel my designs turn out better when I follow through consistently within one style, rather than trying to force things together (contemporary with vintage, for example)
Quote:
  • Mmmmm, yes . . . --simple, as a general rule
Quote:
  • Definitely no. --see above. I tend to avoid layers or use them sparingly, most, altho certainly not all, of the time.

Quote:
  • Yes, I do love them! --depending on how they are done, they are a great way to add depth and dimension, without additional layers
Quote:
  • A plain white card or OLC . . . I think . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

your cards are adorable, did you hear about the new splitcoast challenge for clean and simple cards, thought you'd be great for that challenge, love your work.
Thanx! although until recently i considered myself to be a layered/scrappy/distressed kind of carder, i really do like the CAS style, so I actually approached Jen to see if I could help out with the challenge.. We'll see! thanx for the boost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #76  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! what a great thread. DD therapy session got cancelled so now I can spend a half hour gallery hopping Yay!

As for my assessment - I'm kinda afraid to look LOL!

Do you have a good eye for color combinations? Lukewarm. I often have to rely on something else for inspiration (or use a color wheel).

Do you know how to put different things together? I have trouble with lots of embellishments. I think I'm another one that has no idea what to do if its not small and round.

Do you have one particular style you prefer? Don't know..... maybe classic?? I tend to like straight lines, smooth curves - not much free form

Is it in the layering for you? I love to layer mattes on top of each other. But I do tend to get into layout ruts.

Do you love contrast and texture? Yes - I think thats what I'm trying to do with the mattes.

What element of art is your specialty? Don't know about specialty, but I love to color images. I wish I could just color images and find someone else to put the cards together. ;)

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #77  
Bar
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Interesting thread! Glad I stumbled upon it.

Do you have a good eye for color combinations? I think I do, but I usually end up working with challenge color combinations because I don't have time to think up my own, LOL! I let DP lead me most of the time, I suppose.

Do you know how to put different things together? I think so. Most of the time my cards please me--or I keep going until they do. I often have an idea when I start, but end up adding stuff. I am definitely not a CAS card maker--I like my cards full of "stuff". I do look at CAS cards and think: "That's so pretty! Wonder why mine look unfinished when I do that?"

Do you have one particular style you prefer? Yeah, more frou-frou is my fave.

Is it in the layering for you? Yes! I love layers and making them work well together.

Do you love contrast and texture? Not much--I need for things to be uniform and match.

What element of art is your specialty? Definitely balance.

Thanks for making me think!
Proudly designing for: My Favorite Things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #78  
Kookie Creator

This is a great thread, but I must admit that I was a bit scared to post.

Why? Because the more I think on this subject...the more I realize I am not sure what I am really good at IF anything!

Yea...I make cards but I am not tooting my horn for much because to me they are not that fantastic, I see cards in these galleries that "blow my socks off" and mine pale in comparison to some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momof2ShihtzusView Post
This is a great thread, but I must admit that I was a bit scared to post.

Why? Because the more I think on this subject...the more I realize I am not sure what I am really good at IF anything!

Yea...I make cards but I am not tooting my horn for much because to me they are not that fantastic, I see cards in these galleries that "blow my socks off" and mine pale in comparison to some.
I think you have a great eye for color. There were beautiful color combinations in your gallery and your designs were very nice. You are selling yourself way too short here. It appears you are relatively new, but already a pro on your skills. Enjoyed browsing your gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:44 PM   #80  
Gallery Gazer

Well, lately I've been a little depressed about my work. Add to that my "special" time of month, and quite honestly I can't think of a single constructive thing to say. I'm NOT fishing for compliments here, I'm just being honest about my feelings about my work these days.

I do think this looks like a fun thread, and I'm going to read the other replies and go look at their stuff!!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes