Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I think it's a changing world here on SCS. A few years back, everyone was high fivin' each other with comments. Now, we're told to be happy that someone actually cared enough to view our humble creations.

Personally, if I see that a card has 20+ comments already, why would I add another? Many cards that get all the comments are not even that special to me...I think it has more to do with celebrity/popular stampers than it does creativity.

These days, I try to scout out something that catches my eye that has a small number of comments...I mean, really. Let's encourage each other in this creative pursuit!
I completely agree with this. I try to leave comments on all the cards I am viewing unless they already have 5 pages of comments. It is obvious that their creation is well liked in that case. But if the card has few comments and I view it I leave a comment. If I favorite a card, I always comment to tell them I am adding it to my favorites for inspiration.

I get a little discouraged because I upload cards that don't get more than 3 or 4 comments, and I think I do pretty good work. For that reason, I don't waste my precious time photographing and uploading as many projects as I could because so many feel they cannot take a second to say "neat, I like your card". It takes time for me to prepare the photo and type a list of what I used. If I can take the time to do that, a nice simple quick comment would be nice. You may think you are sounding like a broken record, but you may be making someone's day.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #42  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are a couple of tips for getting comments that I've seen on past threads like this:

Do the challenges and post a link on that particular thread.

Do the comments thread.

Good lighting. The thumbnails are so small that if it's not very well lit or blurry, it won't be all that inviting for someone to click on to look at full size.

Use lots of keywords - use the challenge name/number, stamp company/names, anything like holiday (Christmas, Halloween, etc.), descriptions such as name of technique, "masculine", "baby shower". These may not bring immediate comments, but when people do a search to see "Thomas Kinkade" cards, yours will show up if you put it in the keywords.

If you're using an SU stamp set, upload to that gallery. If you used one of the demo'd techniques, upload to that gallery. Again, people looking for ideas will find your cards.

Probably time of day you upload affects your view count. By the time I log on at night, there are hundreds of cards already posted. I look at as many as I can, but I never get through a whole days worth.

But whatever you do, don't take it personally. We live in a busy world. I'm lucky if I can find time to stamp my own stuff. I like the idea of thinking of the views as a compliment. It means your card was interesting enough for someone to take a few extra seconds to click to see the full-size image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 02:30 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
I'm flattered just by views. With so many uploads, I'm flattered if one of my projects grabs someone's attention enough for a view!
I never though of it this way. Thanks for pointing it out out. You've changed my mind about my sometimes lack of posts.

While I don't think it's rude to not post...I sure like the posts I get. So like the opening post...I try to comment on each card that I click on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 02:32 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by javagirl984View Post
If I favorite a card, I always comment to tell them I am adding it to my favorites for inspiration.
Agreed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 08:21 PM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

How to get more comments:

1. Play in the challenges.
Quote:

Why should this get you more comments? It should be about what you like about the card. The way I look at it, is if I would want to try and CASE or send such a card, I TRY to leave a comment. Don't always do so, but again, why leave another comment for a card that already has 50???
3. If you are a new stamper: Be ready and willing to change. Learn from the stampers who have lots of comments. Why are those cards getting lots of comments?
How do you know what is different about the better cards? I should do the comment challenge because I do want feedback, but then again I'm not sure I should be GIVING feedback to others, KWIM?

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
How do you know what is different about the better cards? I should do the comment challenge because I do want feedback, but then again I'm not sure I should be GIVING feedback to others, KWIM?
I see that you have a lot of CASEd cards in your gallery. When you're CASEing, what is it that you are doing differently? Some examples could be: more layers, unique & balanced layouts, embellishments & punches to provide accents and interest... the special touch, doodling, piercing, texture as in background stamps or Cuttlebug backgrounds, techniques such as distressing and masking.

As for the challenges, people get more comments because it is a group of people who are more willing to give feedback and support to each other. A bond forms in the group of people who play regularly. This doesn't mean that the comments are insincere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

I know that the people who do challenges do get a lot of comments from others who are participating. I would NOT say that this huge comment count is always because the cards are exceptional (please don't attack me here!). It seems like a courtesy, and as mentioned, it's a supportive thing... there is real camaraderie there and everyone is welcome to join in.

Now that comments for regular ol' cards seem to be thinning out, you can be assured that when you get 2 or 3 or 5 comments on your card, the people who saw it really really genuinely LOVED it! Of course, there are always those WOW cards that get a gazillion comments and deserve the attention!!

There are also constructive comment threads if you really would like feedback and suggestions for how to do 'better' -- which is so subjective anyway.

I started a thread awhile back asking for responses from people who rarely/never do challenges or CASE... and for a few days, got maybe a dozen responses... It was a lot of fun to see so many original works of art!!

When I wonder why things have changed with the comments, I begin to realize that I only felt that way after I had hung out here longer and saw cards with 20+ comments on them. Then I try to remind myself of when I first started and I was ASTONISHED! to see that within an hour, 15, or 20 or 40 people actually looked at MY card!! And a few people actually said nice things about it!! I was amazed and thrilled!! So I try to rekindle that feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Talking I love name brand and off brand!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenPamView Post
Mary Rose I agree with you. I was told that you want get comments on your cards if you don't decribe how you made it,so when i uploaded my cards I didn't tell anything about how or what,because my cards are not made from any name brand stuff just things that I get from the dollar stores and some from Micheal's.
It does not matter where you get it from... I love to know that you can get it cheaper some where else.. This is the main reason why alot of women do not even scrapbook because they think that you have to get the supplies from some name brand company... I love to buy from JoAnns Michaels and Hobby Lobby!!!! Telling how you made the card is just so that you can get new ideas and techniques!!!!

Last edited by Madame_Butterfly; 05-24-2008 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Smile Wally World and Target

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madame_ButterflyView Post
It does not matter where you get it from... I love to know that you can get it cheaper some where else.. This is the main reason why alot of women do not even scrapbook because they think that you have to get the supplies from some name brand company... I love to buy from JoAnns Michaels and Hobby Lobby!!!! Telling how you made the card is just so that you can get new ideas and techniques!!!!
I forgot to add Walmart and Target too!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 09:38 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

No one should ever feel obligated to comment.
I understand how nice it is to have someone enjoy your efforts, but expecting praise is not going to get honest reviews of our work. JMOO. Not wanting to offend.
It all gets so repetitious that you just wonder if it's "for real". KWIM??
Again, not to offend, jmoo!! ;)

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

No I don't think it's rude..........

too many uploads to comment on everyone.

I enjoy this site so much........but honestly ......don't want to comment on them all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The challenge cards get more comments probably 'cause right there in the challenge is a highlighted direct link to the gallery of only the cards in that particular challenge. So it is easy for someone who wants to do the challenge to click on that link just to see what people have come up with so far (and to comment).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #53  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70View Post
I see that you have a lot of CASEd cards in your gallery. When you're CASEing, what is it that you are doing differently? Some examples could be: more layers, unique & balanced layouts, embellishments & punches to provide accents and interest... the special touch, doodling, piercing, texture as in background stamps or Cuttlebug backgrounds, techniques such as distressing and masking.

As for the challenges, people get more comments because it is a group of people who are more willing to give feedback and support to each other. A bond forms in the group of people who play regularly. This doesn't mean that the comments are insincere.
Actually, I tend to copy everything when I CASE! :rolleyes: Unless I don't have something the same, and then I try to use what I have...but otherwise I am CASEing it because I like it and think I am able to do it. That's why I say I'm "not too creative," because I DON'T think about those extra touches unless I see them somewhere. I am always amazed at what people think of! So, I know I am probably not going to be on the cutting edge of comments ever And that's fine...but I WOULD like to know what I could do to make the cards better. I have an artsy friend that I ask a lot, but she lives 2 hours away so I don't often get to show her my cards. I just want the people receiving them to feel blessed and happy KWIM?
I know the challenge comments are sincere...I just feel like sometimes wonderful art gets missed and there are 50 comments on a challenge card. So if you don't have the time to leave a lot of comments, why not take the time to make somebody's day that hasn't already gotten them; that's all I'm saying Not criticizing anyone, just pointing that out...

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes