Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Repeats of old stamps?

I started to reorganize using AirTable on my iPad and phone. Since I am listing the set title and company plus adding a picture and listing notes so I can easily sort, I am noticing that older stamps and die shapes are showing up in new sets with newer companies. I am guessing retired designs can be bought and reused, but it is disappointing to pay for doubles in today’s prices. Thoughts? Your experiences?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Can you show an example?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I do think a number of Penny Black designs look very close to old PSX flowers.

But I guess there is only so many ways to draw somethings? How many ways can one draw a sunflower for example?

I will look at my stamp index before buying if I am smart (now you will have airtable) so hopefully we dont buy stuff that is very close to what we already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2020, 05:17 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean exact copies or similar?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I know Penny Black released some designs I have as woodmount in smaller versions as part of photopolymer sets, or the same size as a single in cling. I have Ooh la la which is a French chick in woodmount who also featured in their Twelve Days of Christmas clear set. There's a dogwood I have as a Hero woodmount and I'm sure I've seen the exact same one from other companies, so presumably it's open source. TCP and Unity both have a little mouse with a pot of flowers, I think it's one of Lisa Glantz's (sp?) illustrations. I think the Unity is a single and larger, and the TCP is smaller and part of a set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2020, 07:40 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22
I know Penny Black released some designs I have as woodmount in smaller versions as part of photopolymer sets, or the same size as a single in cling. I have Ooh la la which is a French chick in woodmount who also featured in their Twelve Days of Christmas clear set. There's a dogwood I have as a Hero woodmount and I'm sure I've seen the exact same one from other companies, so presumably it's open source. TCP and Unity both have a little mouse with a pot of flowers, I think it's one of Lisa Glantz's (sp?) illustrations. I think the Unity is a single and larger, and the TCP is smaller and part of a set.
You are correct on both counts - that mouse is a Lisa Glanz illustration and is a single cling-mount rubber stamp at Unity (Special Delivery Mouse), and is part of a photopolymer set at The Cat's Pajamas (Special Delivery). I have both (I'm a big Lisa Glanz fan) and, yes, the TCP one is smaller.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2020, 04:16 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

There is that-when the same artist works for more than one company.

Also if an image is in the public domain...it is fair game for anyone to use.

As for PSX and PB...I noticed it years ago. I can't remember now which ones...if I do I'll try to post links. I remember having the conversation in my LSS about it and they said yes they saw it too. The reason at the time I even thought about it was PB's angel policy at the time said you could only use THEIR product on a card which I found ironic. (since changed)

But the joke is on me today. MFT's new release has background stamps that immediately put to mind one I have...bc when it first came out...I was amazed at what Sandy Allnock did with it and started a thread about envisioning. Well...turns out...it was THEIRS! LOL. Etched flowers:

Original

new release (BTW a number of very beautiful flowers imho) :

But actually at this point, everything looks the same to me! LOL 

Last edited by wavejumper; 06-24-2020 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes