Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #41  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I always tell folks to repurpose my cards. You can only keep som much "stuff" and then you need to do something with it. I prefer folks repurpose and get more enjoyment that way! Not an insult, actually a compliment.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Recycle...

I keep the hand made cards I receive. I found a stack that I had sent my mom over the years, turns out she kept them too! It's in the genes. I was delighted to learn my friend recycles the ones I send to her, replacing my inside note with her own. Just stemming the tide of bullet points and email.. I love correspondence and am determined to keep it alive albeit with the assist of a hand made card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #43  
Glitter Queen

I love making cards, but I also realize that there is a very good possibility that they will end up in the trash. They are, after all, only paper (part of my thinking comes from being in a country where paper is not really a useful thing to have around)! If I thought the recipients would feel obligated to keep or re-use it I too feel it would take the joy out of the process.

I am uncomfortable with the idea of placing a post-it inside a card. It seems to me that I would be saying "you HAVE to use this again". Just me, I guess.

That being said, I do pull embellishments off of cards I receive to recycle for other cards I make. Often they are ones that I would never have thought to use so I am pleased to play with them.

If someone wants to use parts of my cards on theirs I would just hope that they would place a note on the back giving me credit for the work done. It is dishonest to take someone elses work and not give the artist credit.

My blog: If The Glue Sticks…Embellish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Deb Brooner's comment about not using the post-it note in the card instead of writing or stamping on the inside.

In my opinion, the post-it note would cheapen the whole look and idea of the card. Many people recycle lots of things.

I don't feel we need to create cards with the idea they need to be recycled.

I also would not be able to send a card to someone and tell them the items used on it were from a card I received. I'd be embarrassed to say something like that in the card.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:21 PM   #45  
neglecting the kids and housework

I suppose I need to clarify the post it bit. It's ONLY to people who are in on the inside joke so to speak. I give fresh made by me cards to MY family and friends but I do recycle and pass on to troops cards I've received.

The post its came to be after my SIL said something along the lines of...I hate having to cover up what you write in the card so I can reuse it hahaha. So I said "well I'll just write it on a post it then you can rip it off" And she lit up! So now I have a little colorful collection of post its and write my messages on those for the people that "get it"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I cover any handwritten words on the inside or cut off the fronts and recycle the cards on to From Our Hearts for the troops to send back home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #47  
Embossing Fanatic

After I have finished a card and sent it out, I forget about it and honestly don't care what happens to it. I just enjoy the experience of making it. Even though I don't receive very many hand made cards, I do keep in a binder the ones I do receive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

A friend of mine told me she was doing that with cards from our stamp club she thought she could improve on...taking the front off and modifying it and using it on another card. Lo and behold, that Christmas I recieved a Christmas card from her with my card front on it. I don't know if she sent it to me on purpose or not, but I was offended knowing that she thought mine needed improvement. Frankly I thought it looked much better before the changes she made.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 06:16 AM   #49  
Glitter Queen

Many handmade cards are waaaaay too pretty to keep on a shelf somewhere. My stamping buddies and I recycle by putting the greetings on sticky notes (which can be saved, as sentiments are also really important), and then sent on to others who may not even stamp. I always give credit to whoever sends the card if I cut off and put on another card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gramagroView Post
I consider it a compliment if someone wants to use part of a card I made for them. I had the fun of making it and giving it to them for their enjoyment and they may do with it whatever they want after receiving it. I use homemade cards for recycling to our troops and save some for ideas. I do not have room to save all my cards nor do I want to hord them.
This is how I feel, as well. I know some people keep my cards, or some of them, even framing them to hang in their house. I am sure some are thrown away and that's completely fine with me. I make cards for enjoyment and as a "gift" for the recipient. When it is their hands, they can do whatever they want with it. I get so many cards from card-making friends I could not possibly keep them all. They are works of art, however, so if I recycle them, I put them onto a new card base and send them to "Operation Write Home" for the troops to use. I would never resend them on to someone else as my own, but do believe that they are mine to do with as I please, even if that would mean taking off embellies or parts to use somehow. (which I have not done). Store-bought cards are an entirely different thing. Those I get are reused, cut up or thrown away at will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

The few handmade cards I've received as thank you's for buying used stamp sets or from one friend who makes cards I would NEVER re-use or throw out! They are treasures to keep forever! I LOVE THEM and could never part with them!!! I keep them in a binder, in sheet protectors, to look at when I want to. This way you can see both sides of the card at a glance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #52  
Embossing Fanatic

I stamp the card back with my identifying stamp and always use a high quality bond for the inside liner. I often use dark cs which would be difficult to read if written on directly. Never thought of it as a 'post it' ~ actually considered it finished... and easier to read especially for the 'seniors' I keep in touch with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #53  
Glitter Queen

I am truly shocked that anyone would do something like that. I would never, ever, send her a card. It sounds like she does not respect the thoughts and the work that went into creating a card for her. Cards can labor intensive, and to cut it up, or take apart the card is very bad manners and inexcusable! I don't like the practice at all!
Nettie

Last edited by Jeanne S; 08-06-2011 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #54  
Glitter Queen

Default Recycle cards

I have recycled cards from office Christmas card catalogs for their parts. I also agree that it is better to recycle than to trash. I remember when I made my wedding invitations and was stressing over them, the stamp store owner gently told me, "They are just going to throw them away, don't worry so much." It was a stark awakening but very true. It doesn't mean I do not put my heart into my cards, just that I feel I have to let them go when I send them. I do love the idea of recycling fronts to new bases to send to the troops. I am going to do that. One other thought regarding the post it note idea...maybe use repositionable adhesive to adhere the personal sentiment? Then it looks nice AND can be reused. Two gifts in one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2011, 07:28 AM   #55  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't recycle cards given to me but I do recycle swap cards and ATC swaps. I take off all the pieces I can use or cut-up into inches. The swaps are for ideas and even though I appreciate the effort, I may not care for the style so I wouldn't use the idea. I'vr also donated swap cards to a person I know that runs a monthly session to make cards for our armed forces. She sells these cards to pay for supplies.

I know of a person who will remake a card if she doesn't like how it's done. She didn't think there was anything wrong with doing this but I thought is was rude. I would have preferred she never told me this because now I wonder if she has remade my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #56  
Glitter Guru

I recycle cards I have received. I keep them until I can't find anywhere else to stash them. I then go through them and pull off the fronts to recycle. We give them to churches or nursing homes to give out. Most of the handmade cards I've received are from members of the stamp club I've belonged to for over seven years. There simply isn't anyway to keep that many cards.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I am another one who will remount the front on a fresh base and recycle. These cards look great and I send them to the troops for sending home to their loved ones and friends. I have gotten thousands of card fronts from demos to remount. My sisters always remount what I send them and pass them to me for the troops. Recently my mom gave my little sis a huge pile to remount for the troops. I realize the cards we make and receive are beautiful...however, I do not expect anyone to hold on to them forever. It doesn't take long to run out of storage space. blessings.
I couldn't agree more about storage issues! I save the handmade and store bought cards sent to me and display them for a few months to about a year. Then if there's something I can use on the store bought cards, I keep and repurpose them. I never take apart handmade cards and reuse them, but I don't keep them forever either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #58  
Gallery Gazer

I live in a small house, so I don't keep much. I think it's pretty cool to cut the front off and resend! If you do that, two people get to enjoy the card! I almost always write on a sticky so the card can be reused, unless it's for a serious, formal, or personal event.

I do think it is a bit sketchy to cut the front off a card, remount it, and then stamp your stamp on the back.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

I keep all the cards that people make for me. But for those that like to recycle, a 3x3 unsealed envelope with a note enclosed on the inside makes for a cute way to pass on the card. I made a set of cards for my daughter's science teacher who was excited about Earth Day last year. She thought it was a cool idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #60  
Embossing Fanatic

I make cards because I love the process- I have Hundreds if not more of cards that I have made- I give to my friends an family with the 4x4 pretty post it's from Stampin up demo site so they can reuse it- I really encourage it-
I have tweaked some swaps that I got that just had the front panel to make a whole card which makes it more usable. I would never take credit for a card someone else made though. My extra cards go to teachers, our troops, Ronald McDonald House, local senior care homes and local library for sale (for them to keep profit) or hospitals are great places where people could use premade cards to send out.
I encourage people to use everything you have- my cards, your cards, store bought cards junk mail to make your creative art. Use the whole, Use a part, Keep the ones you love that mean something special to you but I love it that my cards may bring joy to more than one receiver. Spreading joy- isn't this why we do this?

my blog: http://stampingdoc.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndaLee28View Post
I make cards because I love the process- I have Hundreds if not more of cards that I have made- I give to my friends an family with the 4x4 pretty post it's from Stampin up demo site so they can reuse it- I really encourage it-
I have tweaked some swaps that I got that just had the front panel to make a whole card which makes it more usable. I would never take credit for a card someone else made though. My extra cards go to teachers, our troops, Ronald McDonald House, local senior care homes and local library for sale (for them to keep profit) or hospitals are great places where people could use premade cards to send out.
I encourage people to use everything you have- my cards, your cards, store bought cards junk mail to make your creative art. Use the whole, Use a part, Keep the ones you love that mean something special to you but I love it that my cards may bring joy to more than one receiver. Spreading joy- isn't this why we do this?
LindaLee, I completely agree with you. Why not spread the joy over and over and over. Well said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyndaLee28View Post
Ditto! I never take credit for cards I've repurposed, but since I can't keep every card I get (and I don't expect anyone to keep those I send them--although some say they do), and I don't want to just throw them away, I reuse them in any way I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39 PM   #63  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridiculously ObsessedView Post
There was a girl in our old stamp club, that admitted to us that she cuts apart homemade cards that are sent to her and uses them on cards that she sends! We were all shocked! I keep all the cards that are sent to me --cannot imagine doing that! Come on.....admit it....have you ever, ever done that???
I recently had Knee surgery and recieved 50 plus beautiful handmade cards which I proudly hung on a display board in my dining room. When I finally took it down I put each one in a special memory album which I cherish. I will continue to add any cards I get. I will use it as a special inspiration book for cards I will make but NEVER take a single card apart. They are just too precious to me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #64  
Cardstock Collector

I have a friend that sends me handmade invitations to a party at her house each year and I take it apart and make a birthday card for her. She loves to see what I have done with the invitation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #65  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleOrphanView Post
I have a friend that sends me handmade invitations to a party at her house each year and I take it apart and make a birthday card for her. She loves to see what I have done with the invitation
That is a great idea! I bet she loves that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

the cards that I make for the troops with remounted fronts I do not take credit for the design. I use a generic hand made stamp on the back.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes