Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recycle parts of cards

There was a girl in our old stamp club, that admitted to us that she cuts apart homemade cards that are sent to her and uses them on cards that she sends! We were all shocked! I keep all the cards that are sent to me --cannot imagine doing that! Come on.....admit it....have you ever, ever done that???
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 04:48 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I've only done with a card I made never with a handmade card given to me. Like you, I keep the handmade cards given to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 05:05 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

I keep the handmade cards I've been given, but I have recycled parts of store bought cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I don't receive very many handmade cards, so when I do get one I keep it in a special box to look at later, I would never take it a part and use any of it to make and send a card of my own. I do cut up and us parts of store bought cards I have been given and send them out. It is a great way to recycle and some of the the images/sayings on the store bought are very nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

No, I don't think I could ever tear up a homemade card.. I am trying to wrap my head around how you could. Isn't there a law against that? I do tear up store made cards. Those are a treasure trove for me. My homemade cards are kept in a special box. I use them for inspiration too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I have kept several store bought cards with interesting designs and elements on them to "repurpose" into a hand made card. You can cut the written portion of the card off and punch a hole it it. Than put it on a large binder ring that fits over a doorknob, add a pretty bow and you have a "Memory Ring". You can pick it up and read the encouraging notes anytime you need a lift.

You can even use that bit of a store bought card to make a hand made card and give back to the person that sent it to you with the note: "Your thoughtfulness (caring, encouragement, etc) inspires me" or something similar.

I have only recieved one or two hand made card and would never think of cutting those up, they are too special (why I keep the written part on a store bought card).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Never. jI wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of the sender. Plus I have plenty of materials to make millions of cards from scratch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've taken cards apart that I've received from swaps that I know I would never use (I generally don't use cards that I haven't made myself unless I'm in a real time crunch) and re-purposed some of the parts like ribbon or brads. If its just going to sit in a box somewhere and never see the light of day, I think its better to use something from it than just have it taking up space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I will admit doing it but here is the way it happens. My SILs and my BFF have me make them cards to send to people for occassions. They use the cards I make them to send to me on my birthday also. So I cut the front off and reattach it to another base. I then either send it to someone else or give it back to them to send to someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:13 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep the few handmade cards I've ever received from the 2-3 friends that create cards. I would never take them apart nor would I use any portion of a store bought card on a card I create. For that matter, I would NEVER purchase a store bought card. The store bought cards I do receive I just can't get into them......I prefer something more personal. I just trash those. Cards I've made at card party, I use as ideas for colors and layouts for my own since they were exact copies of what the Demonstrator made I would never send them out as my own.

Don't shoot me, but as I've said in previous posts, I am not really a recycle person.

Patti

Last edited by pjw2855; 07-31-2011 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #11  
neglecting the kids and housework

I've used parts from non handmade cards Revamped Merci VS by sewsplendidstamper - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

as well as cutting off the card front and reattaching to a base to send to troops. But I've asked for permission for that one.

Basically I figure once the card is in my hands it's mine to do with as I choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:44 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

NEVER!! But maybe because all the handmade cards I have received are from friends here on SCS and they are very special to me.

That's why I don't participate in swaps; my cards would probably just be used for parts, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I always keep them but some people are NOT KEEPERS!
I guess it's better to cut cards apart and re-purpose than throw them away.

I've cut apart very old cards (4-5 yrs.) that I made at the first workshops I went to. I've saved some for inspiration, mailed some and cut some apart.

I never expect recipients of my cards to keep them. Some I know do keep them but I would never pressure or expect anyone to keep them. I'm sure some are thrown away. I don't feel bad about it. They are sent for enjoyment and I'm quite sure they are enjoyed. If it would bother someone to keep them but they thought they should then the enjoyment would be ruined.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This kind of reminded me of a comment a co-worker made...she told me that she was walking through the office and noticed that everyone I've given a card to has them displayed in their cube...so I guess some people do keep handmade cards.

I'll admit I have received cards and reused them in my scrapbooks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

I have received cards from my mum with parts of my previous cards on!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Heart Recycled cards

I take them apart and remount them to send to the troops but my friends do too. I ask first but everyone is happy to spread smiles to our service people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

If I remember correctly ---I think the girl that did this said she cut the front of the card off and put it on another card. I just cannot imagine doing that!! I have saved every homemade card that has been sent to me! And I would never recycle parts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep cards that have been given to me for several years then will often give them to other organizations I belong to to send to others who need them. I never resend cards I receive. However, I urge recipients of my cards to reuse them. I put white inserts in them which can easily be pulled out and new ones inserted so they can put in their own personal notes. To me, that's the ultimate in compliments when someone will resend one of my cards.

Wanda G.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I make cards every other Wed. with 5 friends and this subject came up at our last meeting. One person said she always takes apart cards and reuses them; two said they sometimes do; a fourth takes off the front and reattaches it to another base; and I and another always save them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:49 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

The first cards I ever made were Valentine cards for my husband and daughter. I gave them their cards and that same day my husband brought me the elements off his card - he took it apart so I could reuse them on another card. I was devistated!!!!!! I would rather have someone resend or pass on one of my cards than have it destroyed in some way.

Cinderella is proof that shoes can change a girl's life!

The Stone Age didn't end because they ran out of stones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 11:53 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have never done that...never even thought of it. I suppose everyone has their thing. I just like to keep the envies they come in and keep all cards in a shoebox. It's nice to take a look at them once in awhile to remember the little things we do that matter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 01:53 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

handmade cards are treasures to me.i keep them and take out the few i have left after a fire destroyed our home.i look at them for inspiration ,reminders of older techniques or even new ideas with the new machines on the market today.i have one card that is coming apart and i am afraid to try to even fix it because i cannot find the tech used so i put it in a clear envelope so it doesnt get handled directly.and new stampers are always giving me new ideas because they are thinking of ways to present the few resources they have in the best possible way so it is fresh ideas.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:35 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I've taken cards apart that I've received from swaps that I know I would never use (I generally don't use cards that I haven't made myself unless I'm in a real time crunch) and re-purposed some of the parts like ribbon or brads. If its just going to sit in a box somewhere and never see the light of day, I think its better to use something from it than just have it taking up space.
I do this too. If I know I'll never use this card I'll take it apart and repurpose it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had people send me cards that they purchased from me (or they send them to my kids or husband who don't care to keep them). Sometimes I just rip the whole front and put it onto another base. I also use the part they wrote on for layers. I'm a total recycler and am always keeping random things to use on cards (coffee cup sleeves, junk mail & even envelopes with printed linings, etc.) Cards that others send me I Keep and sometimes put in my samples basket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am another one who will remount the front on a fresh base and recycle. These cards look great and I send them to the troops for sending home to their loved ones and friends. I have gotten thousands of card fronts from demos to remount. My sisters always remount what I send them and pass them to me for the troops. Recently my mom gave my little sis a huge pile to remount for the troops. I realize the cards we make and receive are beautiful...however, I do not expect anyone to hold on to them forever. It doesn't take long to run out of storage space. blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #26  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttons2View Post
I keep cards that have been given to me for several years then will often give them to other organizations I belong to to send to others who need them. I never resend cards I receive. However, I urge recipients of my cards to reuse them. I put white inserts in them which can easily be pulled out and new ones inserted so they can put in their own personal notes. To me, that's the ultimate in compliments when someone will resend one of my cards.

Wanda G.
Friends and family that I'm really close to and know what I do and are honest with me...I just write my message on a post it and pop it inside my card LOL Then they have the card to reuse with no muss or fuss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 08:40 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I am another one who will remount the front on a fresh base and recycle. These cards look great and I send them to the troops for sending home to their loved ones and friends. I have gotten thousands of card fronts from demos to remount. My sisters always remount what I send them and pass them to me for the troops. Recently my mom gave my little sis a huge pile to remount for the troops. I realize the cards we make and receive are beautiful...however, I do not expect anyone to hold on to them forever. It doesn't take long to run out of storage space. blessings.
I do this too. I don't see anything wrong with it. I love the cards I recieve from people but I just can't keep everyone of them. I think sending cards to our troops is a wonderful thing and I know how wonderful it is getting mail from a loved one over there. My friends know I do this and are fine with it. Reuse it and send it on its way for someone else to enjoy. My step mom does this with cards I make her and it does not hurt my feeling one bit. I have even joined swaps to get ideas and sent those cards to my hubby's unit. I would rather someone reuse that card bring a smile to a loved one then throw away the card.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Does this include cards that you receive in swaps? I have received cards from swaps that I don't particularly like or that are very basic in design. I have recycled parts or images from those cards to make new cards. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Sometimes I just rework the card and then I can use them. It's nothing against the card maker. It's just that there are different skill levels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

yes, I have done that with swap cards, never gift cards unless they were store bought. Some of the Christmas store bought cards have really pretty embellies, and extras- glittery sayings and such. I hate to not re-use them...lol

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_catView Post
yes, I have done that with swap cards, never gift cards unless they were store bought. Some of the Christmas store bought cards have really pretty embellies, and extras- glittery sayings and such. I hate to not re-use them...lol
A friend gave me a store bought card that was cute and I tore it apart and am going to make her a handmade card with the ribbon and cutout from that same card and see if she notices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the cards that other's have sent me. And I have a special box for those.

Currently thinking about adding them to a notebook and storing them that way. (manly to take up less storage space)

And doing it this way I can refer to them whenever I did some inspiration.

I also have some cards from ladies from a yahoo group from 4 years ago.

They were Birthday cards.

I can't see taking them apart and reusing them.

That's JMO.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think recycling is better than throwing it out. See nothing wrong with it, I recycle store-bought cards.

I was frustrated on my Mom's birthday when I gave her a new batch of cards to find she had not used all the cards I gave 18 months ago! I don't want her to save them, i want her to use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had friends ask me to put panels in my cards with photo corners so when I give them a card, they can reuse them. Those cards go to other friends that appreciate homemade cards and I get credit so it has always seemed more positive than negative. (e.g.: Mom would like this one, would you care?) That said, they have all asked first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

I consider it a compliment if someone wants to use part of a card I made for them. I had the fun of making it and giving it to them for their enjoyment and they may do with it whatever they want after receiving it. I use homemade cards for recycling to our troops and save some for ideas. I do not have room to save all my cards nor do I want to hord them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 180 Likes on 149 Posts

I do this when I get a collection of cards. I hang my cards on a ribbon centered on each door of my foyer. When I fill all of the ribbons, I take the cards down, and cut off the front and give it a new base. These cards then go to an assisted living facility in the area so they can lift the spirits of people there. They also use them to send to family and friends which saves them having to shop for them and buying them. I love doing this knowing that they love the time and love that went into each homemade card. They treasure them probably more than we do.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've used card fronts and atcs on my scrapbook pages. Saves me time and I think it's a great way to hold on to my favorite handmade items from my stamping buddies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 04:50 AM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Recycled Cards

If I get a handmade card I will take the front off and recycle it. I never take credit and always give credit to the designer of the new card on the back. I can not see just keeping them or throwing them away. If I really like the card, I take a digital picture of the card. I really like Christmas Cards. I save the fronts and make either thank you notes for that person or I make a different card for the person out of their card, for the next christmas. (An example would be taking their christmas card front and using my postage stamp. I turn the card into 6 or 8 pieces, then I put them on the front of my own new card. Very Cute and very satifiying knowing I have recycled). Some of my friends notice and some do not ( but I tell them). So no, I do not think it is wrong to reuse handmade or store bought cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a co-worker who gives me a list of cards she needs for the entire year. She has given several of the cards to her Mother who takes them to Michael's and has them framed. That is such a nice compliment and also encouraging. I have recycled embellishments off of store bought cards but never on a handmade card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #39  
Cardstock Collector

Default recycle parts of cards

i don"t reuse most of the cards I receive but I only get a few a year but I have no problem with mine being reused and if I decided to reuse a card or part of a card I would not ask permission. I think the idea of writing on a sheet inserted is great and might try that with photo corners. I do tend to give lots of homemade cards and would be honored to have all or part of them reused. I agree with the lady that said we can"t keep everything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I am part of a group of 7 stampers that swap cards every month. That is 84 cards a year. Multiply that by the 15 or so years we have done it it comes to over a thousand cards from these ladies alone. I used to keep all the cards but after filling the 6' X 3' x14" top shelf in my craft room closet with boxes of cards I decided to do away with most of them. Some that are very special to me are kept in a photo box and the rest were recycled for the troops. The troops can really use them for sending to friends and family since they don't have access to Hallmark stores. I usually just put the fronts on new card bases. I get an additional 4 or 5 cards a month which I keep a for a while.
I do keep some for inspiration or sentimental value. Now for bought cards. For several years I saved Christmas cards and punched the pretty colored parts out with 3 to 4" hearts or circles. Glue two back to back so either side looks good. After adding a hole on each side I inserted thin ribbon and tied a bow leaving a little space between the circle/heart. Strung together it makes great Christmas garlands. Friends saved old cards for me and wanted me to make them for them.
Reply With Quote Likes