Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for any S/U Demos

I just had a question, I was invited to a S/U party this coming week and was told that they would be making 2 cards and it would be $2 a card to participate. I was a little confused because I have been to tons of S/U parties and I have never had to pay to make the sample cards. I was wondering if this sounded right to you. I know supplies are expensive and all so I was just wondering if this was common practice for some Demos. I really hope I do not offend anyone who charges. I have no problem paying, I was just wondering since I have never been charged before.
TIA
Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #2  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default charging

Perhaps it is an "involved" card using many embellishments. Each demo has her own practices. It doesn't mean that one or the other is wrong, just different.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:26 PM   #3  
Glitter Queen

The party is catering to 4 & 5 year old children. They will be making mother's and father's day card.
I figure they will just be using cardstok, ink, & stamps. I hope I did not make it sound like I thought it was wrong to charge. I know suplies are expensive. I was just confused because I had never been charged before and this is most likley going to be a very simple card thats all.
Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:27 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

It really depends on the demo. I do know a few that charge for supplies simply because they aren't to the point where they can spend their own money yet. It is a business and they don't want to loose money on supplies its not consdiered shady practice or anything, just some people have made more money and can afford to put more out.

Edited to add that I'm also a demo and depending on what the project was or how many people were attending I might charge as well if I thought it was going to get expensive for me.

"Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort" - Franklin D. Roosevelt

http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.com/go/londonrain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:29 PM   #5  
Glitter Queen

Thanks that is what I figured. I knew you all would be able to help. Being a S/U addict I know it can add up fast! LOL Hostesses love me! I am a stamper and a scrapper so I am always in need
Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have never heard of being charged for the cards you make at a party. Like others said I guess it depends on that demo and I know $2 per card isn't bad at all, but I am one that would rather take from my own pocket then charge party guests for supplies. :? That would be like inviting a kid to a birthday party and telling them they had to pay some money since you spent money on their plate, goodybag, etc. I wouldn't think it would be right, but that is just me. I am one of those heavy-duty givers than receivers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:45 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

This could be a THO (totally hands on) workshop. I have charged for that before. That's where there is no demonstration and all the guest do is make cards...then hopefully look at the catalog and order.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:54 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

With you mentioning children will be stamping as well - here are my two cents. I do a mother/daughter workshop quarterly. The numbers are usually around 20-25 guests. But with those guests - there are only 7-8 paying guests, as the others are children. I always make two make n takes, so it does add up when I am cutting supplies for 25 people. I am at the point where I might charge each person one dollar just to help with the supplies. I am not sure how I will implement that change as I have not charged them before - but it does get pricey.

I hope the two cards you make are fun and worth the charge! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

not being a demo, the only parties that I have been charged for is a Stamp Camp, where we made 4-5 cards, I think the demo charged $5 for the whole thing. It was worth the $5--for the adult conversation !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #10  
Glitter Queen

yes, I go to stamp camps here where they give you 10 sheets of cardstock and a run on the demos suplies! it was $10 and soo worth it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:20 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Default Question for any S/U Demos

I am a demo and have never charged for a party. If she had just worded it as a stamp camp for kids and they were making two cards, you may have not thought twice about it. But saying it is a party or workshop ... it does sound a little funny to make you pay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:24 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe she is trying to recoup the loss she will have when they stamp in black and then in yellow. oops there goes that stamp pad. I am not brave enough to let children that young touch my things. Parents rarly offer to pay for things there children ruin. Remember that was only an idea I was throwing out there. I personally would just ask her why she charged for it. I wouldn't have a problem if someone asked me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:27 PM   #13  
Glitter Queen

You hit it right on the money I would not have thought twice if she had said it was a stamp camp for the kids, but since it is a party it just cought me off gaurd.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:33 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

As a demonstrator I would NEVER charge for a workshop in a hostess' home. Mine are hands on with a demonstration and the guests are invited to make 2-3 projects. Yes, it costs money for me but think of the new stamping addicts that will be calling me for orders. If it is a class in my home or a stamp camp then yes, there is a charge. I have had special requests for birthday parties etc. where there is no demonsration or ordering taking place and it is for children...then I charge to cover my costs and time. I had a customer drop her old demo because she charged for workshops. I think that it is tacky to be invited into someones home to make money off of their orders and then charge. Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:47 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Just a thought: As it is a "party" for children, the demo is probably not expecting any sales. If it was a "party" for adults, she probably would have some sales, thus recouping her costs for supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:52 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone runs their businesses differently. We do not know the situation in detail so are certainly in no postion to criticize this demo.

I charge for a class as a Ladies Night Out. I have never done one with kids involved as described here, but I would certainly charge for it if I did. Sounds like it's more of an event set up for the kids to do projects than as a demonstration/party/workshop where the primary purpose is getting orders. Might be some miscommunication on the part of the hostess.

Odie - sounds like you are a great customer and sounds like you'll have fun at this party. Maybe you could post the cards your kids make there so we can see.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:55 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

OH I will My son is so excited to go. Usually it is mommy going to make a card. He feels important. He has been telling my husband " I am going to make a fancy card like Mommy!" It is to cute!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #18  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

That's so sweet!!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:07 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with Jami that it sounds like it might be more of an event for the kids than a regular party. Are these kids' of moms who regularly attend this demo's stamp parties? I know, as a demo, if I was doing a kids stamping event I'd charge a little as well. I would consider it more of a stamp camp than a party.

Please post and let us know how it goes. I'm curious to know if she gets many sales. And Really curious to know how the 4-5 year olds do with the demo's things.

Sencie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:20 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I just held a party at my house and all my guests were charged $5 and the demo made me collect the money. She told me all demos charge so I just went with it. I just figured that was how SU did it. At some point I put the $5 into the conversation and figured whoever did not pay I would just pay for them because I did not want to ask my friends for money. I think if it didn't cost money more would have come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Default demos price

If it's a party for children then I always charge. This is not a workshop where you have guests that order. It is a service you're providing for the person holding the party. Someone must pay for supplies, gas, and the demos time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:42 PM   #22  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Amanda, I'm hoping your demo told you ahead of time it would be $5. It almost sounds like you thought you were getting a "party" where she would more or less "show" you how to make a fancy card, and maybe everyone makes a bookmark - and there's no fee - and she came thinking it was to do a bunch of cards.

Did you make a few cards for that $5? If so, that's pretty normal, more of a workshop than a party - OH HECK, where are the definitions for those things anyway?????

No seriously, it's HARD because some people call them different names. If you make a few things to take home, there is usually a fee. Unless a demo is desperate for contacts! LOL. If she's doing more of a demonstration and introduction to stamping, and maybe one make and take, then there's probably no fee.

Got it?

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 06:52 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Oh my goodness ... I just started a thread with a similar theme question. Oops!

I am really surprised at how many demos are saying they do not charge for party guests to make their cards, because that's the ONLY way I've ever known!

Not only does my demo charge, but when I signed on to be a demo, I was given paperwork that said I should charge workshop fees at the parties/demonstrations: if the guests make 3 cards, it's $10, and for four cards it's $12. The paperwork said we should ask our hostesses to collect the money for this from their guests upfront, as it makes them commit to attending.

When I held my last party, I let my guests know ahead of time that there would be a $10 charge at the party, but that they would get to bring home three cards, which is really a great deal when you think about buying three Hallmark cards, etc. At my very first SU party, I chose for my guests to only do a small make-and-take, which was at the demo's expense. (We each made a tag.) I chose to do it that way because I wanted my friends to be introduced to the product without feeling like they had to be out of pocket ANYTHING at the party. Interestingly, they all purchased more at THAT party than at the second one. Hmm ...

I take it this is NOT the norm in other areas?? :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:05 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

I have been a demonstrator for 6 years and just recently I started charging in some cases. Here's why. I have a great number of repeat customers who own half of the catalog and are very experienced. It went well for a while, then all of a sudden people wanted more and more involved projects, but were ordering so much less because they had nearly everything. So, I asked them if they would mind a fee. They all said that it was well worth it to them. So, I ran that by most of my "usuals". They all agreed. So, I do regular old demonstrations with no cost. But, my THO for my experienced ladies are $3-$5 depending on what they request. It has been very beneficial to me. I take the cash they spend and reinvest that in supplies. That way I can offer them more and more. I tried a mother/daughter show once and another one where half the attendees were in high school and under. Both times, the paying women didn't even get enought to get hostess benefits. I felf bad for the hostess. I think as long as the prices are outrageous I will be fine. Some of my experiences stampers went to a Creative Memories party last week. They paid $15 to make 3 pages. They were only supplies the accessories, they had to bring their own white cardstock. After that day -- they loved me even more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:07 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBaby
Just a thought: As it is a "party" for children, the demo is probably not expecting any sales. If it was a "party" for adults, she probably would have some sales, thus recouping her costs for supplies.
This is exactly what I was thinking. A workshop for adults, where they will likely make a purchase is one thing. But kids won't be buying anything, so a fee in this case makes perfect sense to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:44 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I plan to make a purchase I think I have to stop looking, it is already up to $100, I guess I just assumed most people would make a purchase... I know what they say about assuming!! LOL!!
Tara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:17 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieStamper
!I am really surprised at how many demos are saying they do not charge for party guests to make their cards, because that's the ONLY way I've ever known!
You talk about being shocked :shock: , I have never ever been or heard of going to a SU party that you were a guest and had to fork over money to be there and participate in card-making. That $5-10 could cover your tax or shipping, I would feel ripped off being invited as a guest (guest keyword) to someone's home and them expecting me to pay. That would be like making all your guests pay money to sample the food at a Pampered Chef party. I just disagree with that.

I am just shocked though that guests would have to pay to attend a regular Stampin' Up party! Just my opnion though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candykane
I have never heard of being charged for the cards you make at a party. Like others said I guess it depends on that demo and I know $2 per card isn't bad at all, but I am one that would rather take from my own pocket then charge party guests for supplies. :? That would be like inviting a kid to a birthday party and telling them they had to pay some money since you spent money on their plate, goodybag, etc. I wouldn't think it would be right, but that is just me. I am one of those heavy-duty givers than receivers
Ditto I don't charge unless I'm doing comp books Post-it note holders etc... I think the paper is a consumable product.

Can I help you take control of your families healthy care?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 PM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

My demo has a kids' stamp camp in which she charges $10 for about 2 1/2 hours of stamping. The kids get to make about 5 projects (at least one is food related, though!) and Moms get to leave the kids with her for the entire time if they want too! She also serves drinks and snacks with this stamp camp. I think it is a bargain, but she always lets you know about the details in advance. She did have a regular party for my 10 year old daughter in which they made two simple projects and she didn't charge the kids anything, but the parent had to stay with them. I had my own party at the same time in which party goers made two cards, two more were demoed for them and there was no charge for this. I had a $400 party that time and supplied the cardstock for the kids.

Much later, a friend and I had a party for our friends and their kids (neither of us were demos) in which Moms came and helped their kids. We made 4 or 5 projects and charged the Moms $5 to cover our costs and we invited our demo and her kids to participate, too!

My 6 club has the option of a regular party in which one or two cards are made by all participants and two other cards/projects are demoed and the hostess gets to keep them. There is no charge for this party. You can also have a 5 for $5 in which 5 different projects are done for only 5 dollars! Now, that seems cheap to me! Usually my demo has 7 or 8 different cards, bags, post-it holders, scrapbook pages, etc. to choose from. You can also have a 10 for $12 stamp camp in which you have 3 hours to do 10 different projects! This option is chosen very rarely and maybe for a special occasion, like Christmas cards for example.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 09:01 PM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

I've been a demo. for almost 3 years now and have always charged a fee at my workshops. I do 2 detailed cards and also a 12 x 12 scrapbook page, with embellishments. My up-line also charges, as well as her other down line. I do think if my cards etc. were very simple, not a lot of layers etc., then I would not charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 PM   #31  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

Ahh, snowygirl, see you said WORKSHOP.

I think the problem here is PARTY.

When guests are invited to a party, they don't assume a fee. Course you don't get a lot to take home either - maybe a tag or bookmark. A couple trinkets at your basic Pampered Chef party, or Tupperware Party and a tealight maybe if you order at a Party Lite party!

Right??????

I wonder if the original demo assumed workshop.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

This reminds me of a Creative Memories thing I went to. I was totally cought off guard when I found out that I was being charged $10.00 to just walk in the door... what did I receive? Nothing worth $10.00 to me. I got to make 1 scrapbook page and did have the ability to use her tools and 1 small sheet of stickers. I almost felt as if she was expecting orders because she then started talking about the hostess and depending on the sales from the party this is what the hostess can get... what a deal! She was also expecting us to book parties from her as well.
I did end up ordering some things, actually about $70.00 worth and also had to pay $10.00 just for going. After I got home I thought about the whole situation I ended up cancelling my order...just seemed shady to me. :?
Is this "normal" for CM parties? This was my 1st and last CM party.
Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #33  
Kookie Creator

This reminds me of a Creative Memories thing I went to. I was totally cought off guard when I found out that I was being charged $10.00 to just walk in the door... what did I receive? Nothing worth $10.00 to me. I got to make 1 scrapbook page and did have the ability to use her tools and 1 small sheet of stickers. I almost felt as if she was expecting orders because she then started talking about the hostess and depending on the sales from the party this is what the hostess can get... what a deal! She was also expecting us to book parties from her as well.
I did end up ordering some things, actually about $70.00 worth and also had to pay $10.00 just for going. After I got home I thought about the whole situation I ended up cancelling my order...just seemed shady to me. :?
Is this "normal" for CM parties? This was my 1st and last CM party.
Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 02:19 AM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

This is what I was thinking, too. Remember that the demo is trying to make money - and if there is no potential sales, then that might be the purpose of the fee.

What might have been a better idea would be to charge each attendee a fee but give them that amount over an order of $X amount.....

To be honest - I can't imagine really wanting to do a party for young children....unless it is just for fun.....not for business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 02:20 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

This is what I was thinking, too. Remember that the demo is trying to make money - and if there is no potential sales, then that might be the purpose of the fee.

What might have been a better idea would be to charge each attendee a fee but give them that amount over an order of $X amount.....

To be honest - I can't imagine really wanting to do a party for young children....unless it is just for fun.....not for business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 02:20 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 04:22 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odie
The party is catering to 4 & 5 year old children. They will be making mother's and father's day card.
Tara
Althogh not all Demo's charge, it is not uncommon, especially with multiple M-n-T's. I typically do not charge unless I am using specific items that the hostess asked me to order for her show or I am using a lot of materials. The only other exception is ANYTHING to do with children. I always charge when a child is using my stuff. The reason is simple... I, without fail, have to replace something... they mix or damage the inks by mistake, the stamps get misused, they make an error and need additional materials to complete the project, etc. It isn't a problem, but it is like a replacement or insurance policy. The other thing is that the demo is probably covering for not getting orders. If the party is for kids, the kids aren't going to place an order to compensate for her time or costs so she is trying to make it up by charging per project. Even if the parents place an order it probably will be minimal based on that age level unless the parent is already a real stamper!

Hope this helps and I hope your child loves the party!

Shira
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 05:38 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

i don't charge for workshops either. i've not offered any stamp camps or classes yet, but if (ok, when!) i do, i'll charge for those and offer a rebate of the cost with purchase.

i could see charging for something with kids though--especially if the demo has to buy kid supplies she doesn't already have. i'm planning a ws geared towards parents and children at the request of the hostess. i don't have kids so i'm going to need to buy the kid inks and markers as well as several kid stamp sets in addition to the standard stuff (paper, envelopes, ribbon, whatever). and like someone else said--adults have accidents that ruin supplies, the risk is much higher with children!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:03 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I figure they will just be using cardstok, ink, & stamps. I hope I did not make it sound like I thought it was wrong to charge. I know suplies are expensive. I was just confused because I had never been charged before and this is most likley going to be a very simple card thats all.
Tara

She may be charging that much because of the chance of having her supplies messed up. Also remember you are paying for her time to come and teach the children and oversee the children.
Just my thoughts.
Bunny
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 06:19 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrairieStamper
Not only does my demo charge, but when I signed on to be a demo, I was given paperwork that said I should charge workshop fees at the parties/demonstrations: if the guests make 3 cards, it's $10, and for four cards it's $12. The paperwork said we should ask our hostesses to collect the money for this from their guests upfront, as it makes them commit to attending.
:shock:
If you were given paperwork to this effect, it did not come from Stampin' Up! I am appalled that demos are charging guests to attend a workshop where they will also be expected to place an order. I, too, have been to CM parties where that is the norm, and I do not agree-- we get our supplies at a 20% discount, and claim it on our taxes!! It's called "overhead" in a business that advocates the home workshop.

Stamp Camps are different, and for those I DO charge, but I call it a "registration fee". If I charge $5, I also give them a coupon for $5 off their order of $25 or more. Encourages sales and makes the registration fee more palatable.
Reply With Quote Likes