Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jak23View Post
Rule of thumb for me is when using artwork, remember that this has cost someone time and money to produce it, if you print it or sell it you are stopping another person from buying it from the artist so you are loosing them a sale.
If you make a card and take hours over it using your own materials to do so and someone came along and took your card from you and sold it therefore making a profit from all of your hard work how would you feel?

Most scrapbookers are card makers would be upset if someone replicated their layout or card and claimed it as their own work, yes?

So that is basically my thoughts.
Firstly I appreciate your thoughts and don't overtly disagree, however it has been illustrated on this thread that people once they see an image in person they may not buy that image but they will buy others by that artist. So there is a sales gain not loss.

Secondly you are comparing someone stealing a card with someone who has purchased a stamp and wants to use it as they like - so I don't think that is quite comparable.

Thirdly unless it is an absolute identical CASE AND they profitteered from it then what harm is it for someone to make a card for granny from a CASE without telling granny it is a CASE or make a layout for their personal use from a CASE. Do people think they own layouts? maybe but with the number of layout challenges on the internet it would be difficult to prove including. Design is taught by many art & design teachers all over the world and there are only so many permeatations in card/scrapbook design.

I do agree that we are talking about original content/imagery and protecting. I also think that if people produce stamps from images there is fair usage. We are basically trying to define "fair". Companies such as Cornish Heritage Farms deemed fair usage to credit them for the image, even on the licensed images. I think that is more than fair.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #82  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by pammersView Post
Hi Everyone!

This has been an amazingly interesting discussion. I for one have traded images and have received traded images. I usually do it for the experience of seeing what else is out there. I was exclusively SU - for a very long time - then someone sent me some Bella images - wow! Were they sassy stamps! Loved them and now have over 40.

Then somewhere along the way, someone sent me some Pink Cat Studios - oh that Lilly is just adorable! Tweet is just too cute and now I have about 12 sets.

Then I made the mistake of seeing that darn cat from TCP - yes, The Cats Pajamas - egads! Had to get some of those! 12 large and small sets. same thing happened with Penny Black, CC Designs (love those Sugar Plums and Swiss Pixies), and Our Craft Lounge, and Kraftin' Kimmie, and Sweet n Sassy, and Popcorn the Bear, and SWALK, and Peachy Keen, and Lockhart, and Wild Rose Studio, and Sparkle Creations, and my lastest over the top purchase...Whimsey! Someone made the mistake of sending me some of Kenny K's design...I have not been able to resist buying more and not only that, spent over $125 in Whimsey stamps for the month of May - for Kenny K, Raindrop Echo, and the Whimsey Dies. I never would have even gone to the Whimsey site if someone hadn't sent me images.

so where am I going with this??? Sharing gets the word of mouth out, we are a tight little group and loyal to our craft. It allows me to try a product without spending a good amount of cash and decide, with something in my hand, that it is a product I am interested in. What is the potential if this opportunity is taken away??? Well, for me, unless there is a liberal return policy for the stamp, I will likely not support the company selling it. I want to see things in person and to pay for the stamp and shipping when I might not even like the product is ridiculous to me. I want to know that I can create with it before I commit to spending my resources on it. Sorry Mo, I don't have any of your images...they are digital and I like the feel of my crafting...but you do have some cute images!
anyhow, just my two cents. It will be interesting to see where this all leads.

yes, I do go over the top...had to get my insurance agent to visit regarding the amount of renters insurance I wanted to account for my personal possessions as well as for all the stamps and supplies that I have accumulated in my crafting room.

Pam
Stamping Bella sells Mo Manning rubber, and they are adorable! I want them all!

Free cat hair with every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just wanted to add this creative solution (and maybe even a test case by the music industry) by musicians to the problem with not being paid for your work. Clever solution by making the fans legitimate bootleggers of the band's music who will most probably in turn plow those revenues back into the band.

Kaiser Chiefs: We Want Our Fans to Sell Our Records�and Make Money - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

I think one thing that would make it easier to understand the various companies fair use policies would be to have a numbered or lettered system that they all agreed to.

Going from least to most restrictive, it seems to me that these are sort of the types of policies I've come across:

1. Angel Company--no mechanical reproduction (everything else ok)
2. limit 50 images (or 100) or 50 of that card design (sometimes w/letter of permission required)--includes #1
3. includes #1&2, must include copyright and/or trademark info
4. Includes #1-3, must include copyright info for each artist
5. This Company (or this line by this artist at this company), the stamped images must not be sold.
Reply With Quote Likes