Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Q:mailing cards with embellishments - special requ?

Hi,

I've not mailed cards with hardware or ribbon on the card before. Can I send in my mailbox or do I need to go to the PO and see about hand canceling?

Thanks in Advance!
Pam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've sent tons of cards from home and never had a problem.... and I LOVE embelishments. So you probably won't have a problem. If a card is excesively heavy you probably should weigh it or take it in just in case. I picked up and old postal scale at a thrift store a while back for a buck- then went to the post office for a free pricing sheet to check any questionable items. So if you want to be safe you can do that... but for the most part you probably won't have any problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 10:20 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I every now and then receive a card that has a button or embellishment of some kind on it and the envelope is torn. I put a peice of bubble wrap in the envelope to protect it. As far as the postage, I just put another stamp on it just in case. And if the envy is a little bulky from the embellishment I write hand cancel on it.... Just in case....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I save the thin cardboard boxes from cereal and things. I cut them to A2 size and slip in a piece orver the front of the card so the embellishments don't get hung up in the PO machines.

Once in awhile, I'll do a heavy one and I well go to the PO to mail. I also keep a stash of 4 and 10 cents stamps on hand. When in doubt. just slap one one and mail it.

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 11:01 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

If I think the envelop feels heavier than normal, I add an extra stamp; if it is much thicker, I take it to the PO and have them check it with the little slot thing they have. Mostly though, I just follow advice I read on this site and put a piece of packaging tape across the back of the envelop where I can feel bumps from any metal, buttons, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 12:30 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever I make a hand made card to send through the mail, I ALWAYS write "hand cancel please" on the envelope UNDER the stamp. I figure this always protects my envelope and have sent over 200 cards, with nary a one having any problem once the recipient receives it. I put it in the mailbox at my home. If it is a bit heavier, I do add an extra stamp. (When I send out resumes, they are 5 pages, what with the experience, schooling, past jobs, introductory letter, and reference letter) and this was measured at the post office as being a regular .39 cent weight! Hope this helps!

Linda from PA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:07 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you all for all of the suggestions!

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 662 Likes on 345 Posts

I learned about putting packaging tape on the back of my envelopes (I face the front of the card to the back of the envie) to protect the embellishments, and it is a GREAT TIP! Thanks everyone! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 662 Likes on 345 Posts

My edit is in red:

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanerme
I learned on this site about putting packaging tape on the back of my envelopes (I face the front of the card to the back of the envie) to protect the embellishments, and it is a GREAT TIP! Thanks everyone! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My solution to the problem of embellisments poking through the envy is to take a piece of cs cut to the size of the card and run it through a crimper (wavy, zig-zag, whatever you have). Then place this crimped piece over the face of the card and make sure that the crimped paper is at the back side of envelope when it goes in. This riffly cs protects the embellishments while it also keeps them from poking through the envelope. I have not had ANY problems since I started doing this and have discovered my stamping friends will return the crimped cs with their card to protect it on it's way to me! So, not only does it do the job - it's recycleable! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes