Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 636 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Punches Hard to Use? A remedy...maybe

Sounds too good to be true. I have the MS doily lace punch and have such a hard time with it. I know others do, also because I have seen posts concerning this matter. This worked for me. Sounds crazy, I know. My sister, Sprinkles told me that someone said to put your punches in the freezer and they would punch better. I forgot mine (doily lace) had been in there about a month. DH found it and I can imagine what he thought. Decided to try it this morning and it worked great. Even my textured cardstock which I could never punch without it hanging inside the punch worked really well and slipped out with no hanging and tearing. I still had to punch hard but it did the trick. Hope this helps someone else. I haven't tried the other punches. This particular one is the one I have had so much trouble with.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #3  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MariLynnView Post
That sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try.
Hope it works for you. Don't know how long it need to stay since I forgot and left mine for a month. Maybe you could try it after overnight. If that doesn't help, maybe longer. I just don't know. I guess it would be frozen after 24 hrs.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of that solution before. In fact, I remember calling Stampin Up one time about one of my punches that kept sticking. That was one of their suggestions, lol! (Of course, they did wind up replacing the punch, but it was nice of them to offer suggestions to try.)

It did sound nuts, but I think it's something like, "cold contracts, heat expands." Perhaps the freezer makes the metal contract a bit so it makes the two sides come together easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, stupid question here! It has to still be cold when you use it right? So I'd need to keep those problem punches in the freezer all the time? Or could I freeze them for a few days and then take them out and leave them out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #6  

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybooView Post
Ok, stupid question here! It has to still be cold when you use it right? So I'd need to keep those problem punches in the freezer all the time? Or could I freeze them for a few days and then take them out and leave them out?
She didn't tell me but I am quite sure they would need to be left in there for quite a while before you used them. I'll just leave the punch/punches I have trouble with in there and the doily lace was the only one I tried. Hope this works for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #7  

Your sister's name is Sprinkles!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctorinaView Post
Your sister's name is Sprinkles!
Yes, that is her SCS name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

i punched through some pop cans (or SODA as some of you say...) because i saw a video of that being done online, and that worked too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
i punched through some pop cans (or SODA as some of you say...) because i saw a video of that being done online, and that worked too!
That sounds like a good idea. Sure it probably works better than using foil because that did nothing for mine. I'll keep this in mind if I have trouble with other punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 03:25 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Be very careful when using the metal from pop cans in your punches. I distroyed a SU punch when the metal got stuck in it and it broke the lever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 04:45 PM   #12  

Quote:

Originally Posted by deeth1View Post
Be very careful when using the metal from pop cans in your punches. I distroyed a SU punch when the metal got stuck in it and it broke the lever.
Oh, bummer! Thanks for that info. Maybe I'll just stick with the freezer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I just bought the MS doily lace punch and was very disappointed when I could not get it to work. I would have returned it but I had already discarded the packaging.
Thanks for the tip. I am going to give this a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #14  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just the nature of the MS Doily punch will make it harder to punch as it has so many little tiny holes. i'd be afraid to try tin in that punch. i can only use mine with lightweight patterned paper - it's too hard on my hands to use it on cardstock. i'll have to try the freezer trick. so... where am i going to put all that frozen meat ;)

thx.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I never thought it would come to this but I cleaned out my freezer tonight. who would have thought I would be storing scrapping supplies in the freezer?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

They say you can use wax paper to lubricate them and I heard tin foil to sharpen, just a thought Stef
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by memaw2twoView Post
I never thought it would come to this but I cleaned out my freezer tonight. who would have thought I would be storing scrapping supplies in the freezer?!
Food out..scrapping supples in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 06:36 AM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Here is what I posted in another thread. I can punch through SU and PaperTrey cardstock.

I punch on a flat, hard surface. I also put some pressure with one hand on the part of the punch that punches and use the other hand to push the lever.
Hope this helps.

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by StefTXView Post
They say you can use wax paper to lubricate them and I heard tin foil to sharpen, just a thought Stef
I tried the wax paper thing and didn't have much luck. Anybody ever try punching through thin sand paper to sharpen the edges? Seems like I read that somewhere (sort of like a knife sharpener, I guess).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:15 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Sandpaper does work. However, I also knew about the freezer trick - metal contracts when it's cold. I tried this with the "rope" border punch by Fiskars - now it's permanently stuck. I've also tried PaperGlide, which is normally used for dry embossing. Spray a piece of paper with the PaperGlide, then use your punch. This works as a lubricant. And there's a product out now made by whoever makes PaperGlide that's specifically for use on punches. Can't remember the name of it and have never been able to find it - anyone know what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes...this approach works....Carefully cut the can's top and bottom away so you end up with a flat piece, then punch through it a couple of times.

Cheers,

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 01:29 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Now I would be really interested in knowing the name of this stuff...Sounds like it would be the easiest way to tackle the problem.

I ended up just throwing the 4 fiskars border punches I had coz all treatmen...wax paper, sandpaper, freezer, foil did not work. At that time I didnt know about the cans but I was heartily sick of any paper (didn't get to card weight) getting eaten by the punch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Sandpaper does work. However, I also knew about the freezer trick - metal contracts when it's cold. I tried this with the "rope" border punch by Fiskars - now it's permanently stuck. I've also tried PaperGlide, which is normally used for dry embossing. Spray a piece of paper with the PaperGlide, then use your punch. This works as a lubricant. And there's a product out now made by whoever makes PaperGlide that's specifically for use on punches. Can't remember the name of it and have never been able to find it - anyone know what I'm talking about?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
Now I would be really interested in knowing the name of this stuff...Sounds like it would be the easiest way to tackle the problem. ...
This site is in my bookmarks, but I don't know anything else about the company or its products. http://www.franticstamper.com/Punch_tools.htm

There are several punch lubricants on that page: Cutter Glide, Punch Doctor, and natural beeswax.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

I also had the MS doily punch to stop working - I returned it to Michael's and they replaced it. I probably hadn't used it but one time. And I didn't have the packaging, but did have the receipt. I'll remember the freezer trick! Thanks.

It isn't stamping-related, but please stop by my blog anyway! http://thesedaysofmine.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
This site is in my bookmarks, but I don't know anything else about the company or its products. http://www.franticstamper.com/Punch_tools.htm

There are several punch lubricants on that page: Cutter Glide, Punch Doctor, and natural beeswax.
Yep! that's it. I was going to suggest this too. It's called "the Punch Doctor" It works for me and the nice thing is, the spray dries fairly quickly so you can use the punch right away without ruining your paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrubbybubblesView Post
Yep! that's it. I was going to suggest this too. It's called "the Punch Doctor" It works for me and the nice thing is, the spray dries fairly quickly so you can use the punch right away without ruining your paper.
I had never heard of this product but will have to try it. I enjoy reading all these solutions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Word of warning - If you are going to try the freezer trick be sure that you don't use it right out of the freezer. Yes..the cold does shrink the metal but...it also makes the plastic casing very brittle! Just ask me how I know..
I have also found on some MS punches that the first couple of times I use them tiny bits of metal (called burrs) fall out. I think it is like residue on the metal. I guess by punching pop cans it cleans this gunk off the punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I've used the freezer trick on a couple of punches and because I'm not a patient person, I've only left them in for about an hour and they worked great after that.

I kinda like the idea taking the food out of the freezer and putting craft supplies in. I could have so much more money to spend on stamping stuff if I didn't have to buy food!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #29  

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
I've used the freezer trick on a couple of punches and because I'm not a patient person, I've only left them in for about an hour and they worked great after that.

I kinda like the idea taking the food out of the freezer and putting craft supplies in. I could have so much more money to spend on stamping stuff if I didn't have to buy food!
Ha That is so true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Just wondering ... are you putting the punch in a zip log bag first before freezing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 AM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimichan1View Post
Just wondering ... are you putting the punch in a zip log bag first before freezing?
I didn't but I would think that would be o.k.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Default Punches that Stick

Try Punch Doctor--it is a spray lubricant and works pretty well. Available on line at several sites. Frantic Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #33  
Postapalooza Mama

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by memaw2twoView Post
*snort*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
I tried the wax paper thing and didn't have much luck. Anybody ever try punching through thin sand paper to sharpen the edges? Seems like I read that somewhere (sort of like a knife sharpener, I guess).
I've tried that, but I didn't have any luck with it. It sure sounded like a logical solution!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I have this punch and tried the freezer issue also...mine still doesn't work...this punch is THE worst punch I have...i haven't used it successfully one time... :(

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love punches and own tons of them. Most of them work great right out of the box. What I do is save receipts, packaging and anything else then try it out. If I don't like the way it's punching right away I take it back in exchange for another one like it. So far this has worked out for me and all of my punches work great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

LOL! I have so many punches that I would have to take over the entire freezer. Who needs ice cream and frozen meat, anyhow? I think my family would protest.
I've tried the wax paper-foil-sandpaper-metal can ideas and STILL have trouble with a couple of my SU punches and my 2 Martha Stewart punches.
Don't you think its a little ridiculous that we have to go to so much trouble to fix these things? Especially the M. Stewart punches - I find them cheaply made, flimsy, not at all "up to" her standards (supposedly). While I drool over some of her other border punch designs, I won't buy any more until they produce a better quality product. I've ruined too much card stock and pretty paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:30 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
Word of warning - If you are going to try the freezer trick be sure that you don't use it right out of the freezer. Yes..the cold does shrink the metal but...it also makes the plastic casing very brittle! Just ask me how I know..
I have also found on some MS punches that the first couple of times I use them tiny bits of metal (called burrs) fall out. I think it is like residue on the metal. I guess by punching pop cans it cleans this gunk off the punch.

I found this out too!!! Put my doily punch in the freezer, and then punched, and the plastic cracked. Careful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 10:32 AM   #39  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cevans1004View Post
I have this punch and tried the freezer issue also...mine still doesn't work...this punch is THE worst punch I have...i haven't used it successfully one time... :(
I hate to hear that did not work for you. I agree that is one bad punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

I left my doily edge punch for too long and it broke, the extended cold cracked the plastic I think (this would be over a month). So I don't recommend storing punches in the freezer. But I usually throw it in for about 30 minutes and it works great, even through PTI paper.

On a related note, I was in Michael's today and I noticed that in the bottom row of the new EK Success punches endcap there is a little punch optimization kit, looks like it has a square of tinfoil, wax paper and some other little tools to make punches work better.
Reply With Quote Likes