Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:23 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Printers for 110lb paper

Hello, my canon pixma mg6220 just died. It was perfect for very heavy paper. It is now discontinued. Since i need to buy a new printer i was thinking of a laser printer as I also work with copics.

I have tried emailing the major complanies to no avail. Has anyone recently (withing the last 2-3 months) bought a laser that works for them. Many of the older printers did work but their newer counterparts do not.

I have also called Neenah papers but they do not make recommendations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Printers for 110 lb paper

I use 110 pound paper and have now had two inexpensive HP printers( present one 5510) no problems printing ever. What I did do when I purchased this second printer I wanted to make sure it would print as well as my old one.I took a piece of my card stock with me to test out on the printer right in the store to make sure there were no issues.

You might want to do that to see if it satisfies your needs. Good luck.By the way I use Staples cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 11:37 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I am thinking that a laser printer might not play nice with heavy cardstock like 110 lb. Laser toner fuses to the paper with heat, and it's difficult to get heavy cardstock hot enough to fuse the toner. I know we use a pretty pricer color laser printer at work, and even when it is set for cardstock, we only get a good image when we use about 65 lb stock. Anything heavier and the printing will rub off, even with very little handling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure, but I don't think that laser printers are recommended for use with copics... I think the ink reacts with the toner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I have an old HP Laserjet printer and print on 80# and 100# quite often. I never have any issues and when I color with copics the ink doesn't smear either. I have a newer HP Laserjet and have printed the heavy paper with it and it works fine, but I am just partial to my older one.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The trick is to look for a printer that has a "top load" -- in other words the paper feeds in from the top and comes out below -- so there is a straight paper path. When the paper feeds from the bottom and comes out the top it is fed up and around rollers, which is hard to do with heavyweight paper. You have to do lots of research, but most of the manufacturers will list the type of media they can handle and the paper weight they can handle. I agree with canada goose -- take some paper with you to the store and try it out for yourself. In my experience, the store personnel will have no idea which of their printers can handle heavier weight paper, and I would not take their word for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

We had a Dell Color Laser years ago that took 110 lb paper and never jammed. However, when it died in 2011, we got another one a bit smaller with wireless capability. Hot Dog, I thought. Well, the SU 80 pound paper jammed immediately. I was in tears. Rarely use it for my crafts as 95% of my cardstock is 80 lbs. Had to buy 65 lb to use it. I think you should take a sheet of the cardstock to the store the printer is sold and test it out. I'm in the market for a 4 in 1 and this is what I intend to do before buying. Surprisingly, Dell people could not tell me the max weight of paper their printers take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 02:19 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

rather than buy online, if you can, bring your paper to a store that sells printers that are on display and your copics. they will let you put paper in and try it out. i did that at best buy a few years ago when i bought an ink jet. and i bought it at the store that let me do that rather than try and get a better deal online. seemed fair!

sorry, just saw the above post with the same recommendation. duh

Last edited by Joan B; 05-22-2014 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: duh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2014, 03:22 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I've had good luck with mid-level ink-jet HP printers and card stock, but like a previous posted said, bring a piece to the store to try it.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default No one lets you test the printers

Thanks for the replies... unfortunately I have gone to Best buy and Staples and they do not let you test any printers... they are not actually connected to power sources and they do not have inks in them when on display... I was told my only option was to buy the printers, bring them home to test and return them if they do not work...

Btw I have called HP; Samsung and Canon and all of them say that their lasers do not work with 110lb paper... Actually Samsung support referred me to Best Buy -- who have no idea about any products.

I have been informed by other card makers/copic digi users that older models, particularly HP may work but trying to find older printers is quite expensive in Canada as I would have to import from the States...

It appears my only option is an inkjet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 05:17 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Printers fior 110 lb paper

Quote:

Originally Posted by RivrsongView Post
Thanks for the replies... unfortunately I have gone to Best buy and Staples and they do not let you test any printers... they are not actually connected to power sources and they do not have inks in them when on display... I was told my only option was to buy the printers, bring them home to test and return them if they do not work...

Btw I have called HP; Samsung and Canon and all of them say that their lasers do not work with 110lb paper... Actually Samsung support referred me to Best Buy -- who have no idea about any products.

I have been informed by other card makers/copic digi users that older models, particularly HP may work but trying to find older printers is quite expensive in Canada as I would have to import from the States...

It appears my only option is an inkjet.
I forgt to mention previosly that both my HP and our 5510 were and are inkjet printers. Maybe inkjet are the ones to use for 110lb.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a Canon Pro9000. Although it was pricey I have fed cardboard through this and even a matted piece of cardstock. It took anything I put in and prints beautifully. I had the predecessor to this. After 40,000 prints from working from home the part I needed was obsolete. If this printer dies, I'd own another in a heartbeat. They last forever and print fantastic photos too. Sadly though, the ink is expensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #13  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
rather than buy online, if you can, bring your paper to a store that sells printers that are on display and your copics. they will let you put paper in and try it out. i did that at best buy a few years ago when i bought an ink jet. and i bought it at the store that let me do that rather than try and get a better deal online. seemed fair!

sorry, just saw the above post with the same recommendation. duh

Joan I always love your posts! A voice of both reason and fun!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a Canon laser jet at work and use it all the time with 110 lb paper. The trick is to set the paper to glossy; I've never had a problem since doing that. And laser toner will work with Copics.
Reply With Quote Likes