Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: How is Your Spending Compared to a Year Ago?
I'm spending a LOT more on papercraft related items. 27 7.83%
I'm spending a bit more. 25 7.25%
I'm spending about the same. 93 26.96%
I'm spending a bit less. 88 25.51%
I'm spending WAY less. 112 32.46%
Voters: 345. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Poll on Spending Trends

How much are you spending on all papercrafting compared to a year ago?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 03:14 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spend a little less than I used to. The ecomomy is really scarey and we are supposed to start building our new house this spring. If you were to look at my craft stuff, you would see that I have enough "stuff" to tide me over for a while. LOL Too many new and exciting things to need, so I probably won't stop spending, just try to cut down a bit. UH-OH I need an ATG and.............
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:00 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm spending a little less, but not primarily because of the economy. After almost 8 years of "collecting" I'm trying to "use" more. I really think hard before buying stamps now because so much of what I want is close to what I already have. I'm still buying, but just not as much. Add to that the fact that my LSS closed last fall, and it equals a slight dip in spending.

Interesting poll, Joan. Can't wait to see what more votes reveals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

my husband lost his job in october and i am using what i own. i have stopped my stamp camps and purchase only adhesive as needed. it's been a change, but an easy one. i have plenty to keep me busy, and just think when i do buy the *new* stuff, it'll have been around for a while and hopefully it'll be on sale!
for now ~ no shopping on any unnecessary items ~ stamps included!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:04 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I am definitely spending less on craft supplies(as well as elsewhere) and I am really thinking about everything---like for instance, DSP---yes the SU new stuff is so yummy, but man oh man, do I have alot already---I didn't order any(Yay, Me!) Stamp sets---can I make do with what I already have, yes!---But I do need a couple of the new ones, LOL I didn't preorder any(I am a SU demo) I will earn them instead!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:06 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I haven't bought any stamping stuff this year yet!!! I did get a G.C. to A.C. Moore that I have used some of, but no actual cash of my own. Yikes, I think I should do my part to help the economy and spend some money!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 04:13 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Hey, Joan, how can you be posting a poll thread on SCS if Mr. DP has hijacked your blog??? ;)

I am spending WAY less on crafts compared to last year.

Last year, my local scrapbooking store was going out of business, so I was picking up bargains in January. I had sold some used rubber here on SCS, and was using the proceeds to collect Nestabilities. And, I was still an active SU! demonstrator (albeit hobby type...I am currently pending, knowing I have enough stuff, knowing I cannot afford my own minimums any more), so I had probably just placed my big Sale-a-bration order at this time last year. I was funding my SU! purchases from cards I was selling...and card sales really slowed last spring (variety of reasons - some economic, I am sure, some a change in my routine), never picked back up.

I cleaned out (2) 2 gallon bags of paper scraps in December - donated to the art teacher at our middle school. That felt great - the scraps were weighing me down. I am looking forward to USING some of my collection of scrapbooking paper before I actually purchase more. And embellishments - OH, MY! I forget what I have, stumble across the stash every few months.

I think I need to make a card with glitter and beads right now!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm spending about the same, maybe just a bit less but that's mostly because I'm now more "settled" in stamping so I have most of the basic stuff. Last year was my first year of really getting in to this so I was buying loads of inks, pencils, markers etc as well as stamps. Now I have a good selection of those things so my spending is slowing down a bit.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:28 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm spending a bit less, simply because I can't find anything I like enough to spend on! I did buy a Cuttlebug, so maybe I've actually spent more because of that one purchase, but my stamp purchases have been down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by koopdedooView Post
Hey, Joan, how can you be posting a poll thread on SCS if Mr. DP has hijacked your blog??? ;)

I am spending WAY less on crafts compared to last year.

Last year, my local scrapbooking store was going out of business, so I was picking up bargains in January. I had sold some used rubber here on SCS, and was using the proceeds to collect Nestabilities. And, I was still an active SU! demonstrator (albeit hobby type...I am currently pending, knowing I have enough stuff, knowing I cannot afford my own minimums any more), so I had probably just placed my big Sale-a-bration order at this time last year. I was funding my SU! purchases from cards I was selling...and card sales really slowed last spring (variety of reasons - some economic, I am sure, some a change in my routine), never picked back up.

I cleaned out (2) 2 gallon bags of paper scraps in December - donated to the art teacher at our middle school. That felt great - the scraps were weighing me down. I am looking forward to USING some of my collection of scrapbooking paper before I actually purchase more. And embellishments - OH, MY! I forget what I have, stumble across the stash every few months.

I think I need to make a card with glitter and beads right now!

Kathy

LOL! He only hijacked my blog and not the whole computer!! I have to have some fun!

I have spent $5 since January 1. this doesn't include using an AC Moore gift certificate or some Amazon coupons we accumulated through our credit card.

I have a "new" budget for crafting, $50 a month, but it rolls over when I don't spend it. It sounds like a lot, but as you know $50 doesn't buy a huge amount now a days, so I'm hoarding my cash.

I have a wish list hovering around $2000. Scary huh??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 06:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I voted that I'm spending a bit less, but that's only because I have most of the tools and stuff I want already and I've switched to mostly unmounted stamps, which are less expensive than wood-mounted. I've always had a set budget for my monthly craft expenses though because I could easily go crazy without some sort of limits!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Default spending?! What spending?

I put down in the poll that I was spending about the same, but last year was "tool aquisition year" so I'm sure that this year, I will be spending a little less (typed with one hand behind back with fingers crossed).

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

My plan is to spend way less this year. I'm off to a good start... I made it through January without spending a dime on craft stuff, and I even resisted a great sale over at A Muse Artstamps (my biggest stamping weakness) a couple of weeks ago. Yay me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:09 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I'm also spending less, but again it's not because of the economy. It's because:
1) I went back to school this year full-time
2) I realized how much STUFF I have
3) I haven't been stamping much, so it's hard to justify buying more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

i am spending a little less...

i have been stamping for quite a while now so i am past 'the start up splurge' if you know what i mean.

i also had a little bit of income which i don't have now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I'm spending a little less this year. I retired last year and started spending more time on SCS. I saw all these yummy things I didn't have (and needed) and also found the wide world of on-line stores. YIKES

This year I have settled down a little. I joined an SU hostess club, so I am committed to spending $25 per month on that. Here on SCS I joined the Stamp to Spend challenge. This way I'm using what I have to make cards - I need to use up my stash. Yes, the stamps and paper I'm using are not the latest and greatest, but most of the people who get my cards are not stampers and they don't know that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:47 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I'll say less myself, however, I got HL $$ for Christmas and there were a few good sales on the internet (I knew thanks to the enablers on SCS) but even those purchases were under $50. I had a $50 HL card so I spent it wisely and I must say, got a lot of stuff. I watched for sales and used the 40% off coupons so it wasn't all spent at one time.

I'm hoping to do the stamp to spend as well. I've copied the spreadsheet to my PC but need to start using it. I've little time to stamp and them most of that time is spent here!!

I've a bunch of stuff and again, little time with work, school, and life so I don't typically buy something every month. I'm trying to pay off a lot of debt. I also did not purchase any SU from the last catty. I've discovered clear stamps (cheaper) and while I've not made a card with them......I stamped the images and like them. They were 1/2 off at HL so a set for $5 and then a couple blocks. Okay, maybe I've spent $75 of my own this year but it can't and won't be happening again any time soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

I've pretty much stopped buying from the US now since the � has crashed and costs spiralled. Most of my buying was from the US-I belong to a Stampers 10 for SU but don't buy alot more from the UK as everything I fall in love with is across the Atlantic! The postman isn't nearly as interesting nowadays...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Spening Less - Enjoying More

I finally realized that just because I buy new stamp sets, cards will Not appear complete and ready to give on my work table the next day. Some stamp sets I already own have never been inked bc the good idea waiting in those stamps has been pushed aside by a new purchase. This year, I'm going to ink every stamp before I buy anymore.

I am going to use my stash, some of which I had forgotten I own until I buy something identical.

No new gadgets until I've mastered the basics of the ones I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:26 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I'm spending a lot less too. I really have just about everything I could ever want. Yesterday I went to Michael's with a 40% coupon in hand and came out with a bottle of glue... Yep, I pretty much have everything! Now I need to get busy and use it!

My Little Blog! Amy's Inky Fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I voted about the same. I'm a cautious spender in the first place, so a lot of what I buy is consumables like card, paper, glue. Having been given a Wizard, I am slowly building up some embossing folders and dies. DH thinks I have a lot of stuff, but I look at what some people have and think I'm barely off the starting blocks, LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I voted about the same, but I'm thinking there's a chance it's really more. I'm scrapping more this year -- that was one of my resolutions. I'm attending crops with friends and buying stuff while there (last night was nearly $50). Realistically I should be spending less simply because my craft room is stuffed to the rafters with stuff. But dang! They keep making great new stuff so what's a girl to do?!?! Oh, and my knitting fever is back so that means more yummy yarns have been added to my already packed knitting closet. Sigh . . . . :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm spending less. DH is laid off. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I put spending about the same as last year.

But I have cut down alittle bit. Since stamping is the only thing is I really spend my money on. And I try to use what I earn in commission from my TAC sales.

But this year I am narrowing it down to spending money with a couple of companies. And not going over board spending money that I don't have.

I have enough stuff in my stamping room...That sometimes I can't find what I want. and then sometimes finding things I didn't know I had.......

I've been collecting for 9 years now. So you understand..Right?

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 10:39 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I'm spending about the same only for 2 reasons: 1) my budget isn't that huge to begin with, and 2) we're getting ready to move back to China, so I'm stocking up on supplies while I can - once we get there my craft spending will be pretty much nil due to lack of availability.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm spending about the same, I think. Maybe a little less since my son's Tae Kwon Do classes on Saturday moved from dangerously close to my favorite scrapbook store to right here by the house.

I thought that once I started working from home, I'd have SO much more time to use my purchases. That's a laugh!

What's on your wish list, Joan?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:38 AM   #27  
Sassy Sarcastic Stamper

I'm spending way less this year because DH has lost all his OT and we hit a finanicial bump in the road. Also, I can't work right now because of my shoulder and my income is the fun money. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Default Much Less

I decided that is was time to cut down on what I spend for my hobby because of the economy. A few month ago, it seemed as if the State would furlough all state employees to help with budget deficits. Therefore, it only made sense to me to use the many supplies I have on hand as opposed to purchasing new stuff. I signed up for 6 swaps that ends by April 1 of this year. I mailed my last group of cards the second week of January and I did not purchase any new items to prepare the cards for any of these swaps. WHOOHOO! This was a fun challenge for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I voted "way less" -- after getting a number of new CB folders and SU! stamp sets for Christmas, I put myself on a three month spending freeze (except adhesive -- can't use up what I have if I don't have something to stick it together!). After spending the last few weekends reorganizing my space, I think I might increase it to a six month freeze!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

I answered spending way less as that is certainly my intent. I may miss my goal, but I do have plenty of stuff already that I've accumulated over the years so I try to use a lot of it, but sometimes the new things are just too hard to ignore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

I am spending more than I was a year ago at this time, but less than I was 6 months ago.

About a year ago I wasn't stamping or buying much. About 9 months ago I found SCS and all the wonderful enablers here, and found some great stuff I just HAD to have. Now, I'm spending less, weighing my purchases carefully, looking for good deals, and trying not to buy stuff I think I need. I'm more settled now.

There are still some big ticket items on my wishlist, but those will have to wait. I'm also thinking of dropping my SU demoship as I am a hobby demo and make almost all of my own minimums, and that adds up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I voted for about the same, but admit that is likely to be a bit more. My spending is directly related to my recent purchase of a Big Shot. I had never owned a die cutting machine and have fallen in love with it! My SAB order today was almost exclusively accessories for my Big Shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I am spending way less. I had a full time substitue position at this time last year and now I wait every morning for the phone to ring hoping that a school needs me. So my paychecks are considerably less now than they were a year ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

i'm spending less overall. i would usually spend $50/week for new releases, cardstock and embellishments. now i'm trying to use up what i have before replenishing my stock. i am saving making any purchases from the new SU catalog until February to take advantage of the free sets promotion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I said about the same. There is alot in the new SU catalog that I want, I thnk more so than last time. I have held back a bit on all if it, since I just had to replace a couple of appliances, but I will probably be back to speed here in a bit. Although, I do tend to do less impulse buying now that I have been doing this for awhile, so I may actually end up spending less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm spending less. Last year I was still a hobby CTMH consultant. I got tired of paying for my own minimums, so I let that go. But during that time I was able to get lots of cardstock, ink, markers, embellishments, and all the basic tools.

So now all I pretty much only let myself buy stamps. I have so much stuff plus I have 2 shoe boxes full of images from Wish RAK. I want to use up as much as I can before I buy more new stuff. I hope to spend a lot less this year than I did in 2008.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Aside from having no money, I'm trying really hard to wait to buy stamps from the next SU! catty (I'm a demo). Last time, I got too excited early on, and bought everything I liked at the beginning. Then I regretted it because my opinions on changed, and I don't get use out of any of my "impulse" purchases. It was quite a waste of $$$.

This time, I've decided to wait a few months to see if my preferences are still the same. Plus, I love seeing what other people on SCS do with the stamps, so I'll wait until there's more ideas on here before I choose!

In the meantime, I'll buy SU! paper and embellishments!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmm. I'd say my shopping patterns have remained the same for the last 8 years or so, including present economic times; it was about at that point that I started making more conscientious and thoughtful purchases--buying what I knew I really liked, and would actually use, as opposed to impulse purchases.

From what I can tell nothing has really changed not just in the last year, but over the last 8 years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

I voted for "spending more than last year" because at this time last year, I didn't know the papercraft world existed!! I discovered SCS in June, and joined in July. I'm still in the "aquiring" stage, but I've been very careful, and save/use scraps! My job was cut to part-time, and I've tried to be very good about using that Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon, and waiting for sales! Granted, I love to buy on-line, but I've been very, very good considering if I even wanted to come close to the $$$$ DH has spent on RC trucks and restoring old cars!!! I haven't even made a dent compared to what he has spent in the past. Figures....find a hobby I like, then have to start watching pennies much more closely!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #40  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm spending a little less mostly because i'm trying to be more business minded but also because we are going to be moving to a more costly area and we ahve to save our money for that. plus we are making home improvements to our current residence so that it will be more appealing to potential renters. We are putting a new tile tub surround and a shower fixture (there is no shower in this bathroom currently) and to make the fixtures match we are getting new ones for the sink too. so far the total is hovering around $670 and we aren't doing anything fancy. after the bathroom is done we have to replace the stove and oven and refinish the wood floor in the MBR. Then there is the fence which is going to cost more than the rest of the stuff combined. So yeah, spending a little less but for good reasons :-)
Reply With Quote Likes