Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-29-2018, 04:58 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please share your tips for making multiple cards quickly.

i have been asked to make cards to sell. I want some tips to streamline my process. As they say time is money!!
Thanks in advance!!
Bev
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 05:24 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Well, I don't know what constitutes quickly, because it never seems that quick for me, but my usual process when I make multiples for swaps is to first make a single card, kind of taking notes as I go, especially if I have a smaller piece, and extra especially if I have, like, one sheet of a certain paper and need to not mess it up. LOL. (Measure eighty-seven times, cut once.)

Once I have my exemplar made, then I do all of the prep work-- cut all the card bases, cut all the layers, then fold and score the bases, then do any stamping/coloring, then assemble, and finish off with embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest OSW (One Sheet Wonder) templates to get a variety of sketches then follow Emily's advice. You don't want all the cards to look alike so use several sketches and mix up the color schemes.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 06:59 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have made many multiples of cards to sell through the years. It’s purely for the exposure and money haha, as I get bored quickly. It’s quite tedious for me to make more than a couple cards the same, let alone 50, which I have done in the past. I don’t think I would take any more orders of that quantity any more, except for a very special situation.

When I did, I would decide on a design, as mentioned. Then cut everything in order, starting with the card bases. Then the layers, making stacks of each layer side by side so I didn’t forget anything. Then the stamped image and punches/ dies, then embellishments.

Generally I keep the design clean and simple. Mass production is time consuming and while more efficient than a one of a kind card, you can put a lot of time and effort into something. I embossed a mass production design ONCE. Never again! Just more steps involved. It didn’t seem so bad for my one sample design, but then to do it 50 times was a bit much.

One tip I would give you is to stamp a couple extra images to have on hand in case you have a mishap along the way, more than once I have been almost finished assembling when it went on crooked or an rogue ink pad landed in the wrong spot.

The one sheet wonder idea is a great idea! You can have variety and yet be able to cut multiples of the same colour of cardstock and such. I never got the hang of the most efficient planning of OSW but I can see it’s a brilliant idea.

Good luck and don’t lose your enjoyment of crafting while mass producing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2018, 07:07 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Adding to my previous post...

I find I often make sets of 4 cards, logical for use of cardstock. I often use 2 different sentiments so the customer can choose between sympathy or birthday, for example. Same card, different message.

I never stamp anything on the inside, I leave them blank. You can add a sentiment of course, but I would also stamp the words on a piece of computer paper and enclose it with the card so that purchased can see the message without having to open the card first. Saves opening your packaging and risking dirtying the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 02:17 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Punches can make cutting basic shapes much faster than dies. Unfortunately, it seems like basic shape punches are going out of fashion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 04:06 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Well, I don't know what constitutes quickly, because it never seems that quick for me, but my usual process when I make multiples for swaps is to first make a single card, kind of taking notes as I go, especially if I have a smaller piece, and extra especially if I have, like, one sheet of a certain paper and need to not mess it up. LOL. (Measure eighty-seven times, cut once.)

Once I have my exemplar made, then I do all of the prep work-- cut all the card bases, cut all the layers, then fold and score the bases, then do any stamping/coloring, then assemble, and finish off with embellishments.
Measure eighty seven times 😂
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 04:28 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendelView Post
Punches can make cutting basic shapes much faster than dies. Unfortunately, it seems like basic shape punches are going out of fashion.

I love punchs and have hoarded them for years so yes punchs can make alot of it go quickly verses dies. I also agree with the OSW idea these can go quite quickly if you keep them CAS and change up the looks with different embellies. Good luck to you. Hope you have success.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the stamping of multiples, I put the stack of paper to my left. I am right handed. Then I stamp the whole pile of paper with the first stamp, setting the stamped piece above my work making a new pile. Then I put that stamp and ink aside, put the pile on my left and proceed with the second stamp. There are several advantages for me that way. I find it easier to bring in a new sheet of paper than switch stamps. Also, only one stamp pad is open at a time so I don't accidentally use the wrong stamp pad. I don't set the stamp down, so I have the.right orientation. I don't have to Check that every time
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 08:10 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Here are my steps:

Stamp all images and colour while watching TV.
Return to craft room and trim or die cut the images.
Cut all card bases, score and fold. Stamp inside sentiments.
Cut all background / bordering / framing pieces.
Die cut sentiments if not stamping sentiments.
Back to the TV and assemble the cards while watching TV (actually it is more listening to TV!).

To make it less boring, I often use different mediums for colouring the images (watercolour, coloured pencils, markers) and different colour schemes. If I had to use the same medium and colour scheme on every card, I'd do all the green bits on all the images at the same time, then move on to the next colour, etc.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I try not to do multiples so much anymore,I used to do it for Christmas Cards, but found I got sick of the sight of them. My only real tip would be to develop your design, then make one, running a timer to see exactly how long it takes, step by step, and then for the whole card. Sometimes, what seemed like a simple design can end up being time consuming. Also, remember that you can use the same design, but switching around the colours/sentiments can make then look completely different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got bamboozled into making cards for a charity event at work. LOL. I ended up making 198 cards and rasied $790.00. They took orders and people had 12 different cards to choose from and then they delivered them with a balloon. Once I knew how many of each design I had to make, I did what the others above stated - start with cutting, scoring the base, then layers, then stamped image, etc. I used my Tim Holtz stamping platform when able, which helped. However, no matter how efficient I tried to be and making designs that I thought were somewhat clean and simple - they still took me anywhere from 15 min. to 30 min. each to make. It took a tremendous amount of time and although it was for a good cause, I doubt I would do it again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 06:51 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Just saw a YouTube video of a gal making almost 100 cards from a 12x12 paper stack. It was called how to use up a 12x12 paper stack. She used two or three simple card designs. I think it was a $4.99 hot buy from Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

For selling cards, I usually make 4 of each style I choose...I have 8.5x11 card stock cut ready for card bases, cardstock cut for layers and cardstock cut for stamping images...You can do them in assembly fashion and save time...I do all bases, then all layers, then all images and coloring then assemble the cards...

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

There is a video called 130 Cards From One Paper Pad by CallMeCrafty Al on YouTube. She also has a process video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just a thought, if I am going to buy a homemade card, I would want it to be really special. I (personally) wouldn't want to buy the "efficient" cards like the one sheet wonders or the 'how can I get rid of this stack of patterned papers'. I would be looking for nice composition, nice color choices, and either exquisite coloring or wonderfully embellished or witty/funny. I would be careful of economizing too much (either on time or supplies) because then you just get "standard" cards that you can find anywhere. I do think the OSW's and 'use up your paper stack' definitely have a place in card making, don't get me wrong. For example if I was making a bunch of cards for my sister who is a teacher, I would use those efficient cards. She uses up a lot to send notes home with students, which then presumably get tossed. But to sell in a gift store or shop, I think they need to be special in some way. That's not to say you still can't save time by cutting all the card bases and layers, etc like all the suggestions mention. Don't want to offend anyone, but just my view.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 05:30 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Illinois Marge I agree with your comments too. I think when I posted my previous reply I had it in my mind that these were for a Fund Raiser type of event though bdeyes9 never stated that. See thats what I get for assuming. lol I think some very unusual and beautiful dies such as the Heartfelt Vreation line or Anna Griffin line would make awesome cards for selling in gift shops etc. They take time but that is the quality someone is looking for when they buy a homemade card. Although for Fund Raisers and maybe church Bizaares I still think you can make some really cute cards using the OSW for the layering and adding flowers, images, ribbons and other embellies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
Illinois Marge I agree with your comments too. I think when I posted my previous reply I had it in my mind that these were for a Fund Raiser type of event though bdeyes9 never stated that. See thats what I get for assuming. lol I think some very unusual and beautiful dies such as the Heartfelt Vreation line or Anna Griffin line would make awesome cards for selling in gift shops etc. They take time but that is the quality someone is looking for when they buy a homemade card. Although for Fund Raisers and maybe church Bizaares I still think you can make some really cute cards using the OSW for the layering and adding flowers, images, ribbons and other embellies.

Yes, agree with all you say. There I go too, assuming she was selling in a store!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illinois MargeView Post
Just a thought, if I am going to buy a homemade card, I would want it to be really special. I (personally) wouldn't want to buy the "efficient" cards like the one sheet wonders or the 'how can I get rid of this stack of patterned papers'. I would be looking for nice composition, nice color choices, and either exquisite coloring or wonderfully embellished or witty/funny. I would be careful of economizing too much (either on time or supplies) because then you just get "standard" cards that you can find anywhere. I do think the OSW's and 'use up your paper stack' definitely have a place in card making, don't get me wrong. For example if I was making a bunch of cards for my sister who is a teacher, I would use those efficient cards. She uses up a lot to send notes home with students, which then presumably get tossed. But to sell in a gift store or shop, I think they need to be special in some way. That's not to say you still can't save time by cutting all the card bases and layers, etc like all the suggestions mention. Don't want to offend anyone, but just my view.
That is a very good point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

First off, I have to say that I have ZERO experience in making cards to sell. That being said, my thought is that it could be a huge time saver to first create "suites" of products - cardstock and papers and embellishments that all coordinate with each other - then draw from those to make the actual cards. That way you're not spending time during the session(s) looking for things, but you can still make unique, individual cards, as others have suggested.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2018, 12:31 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Start with a simple design....no fancy techniques, minimal layers. I like to have a card base, cute die cut, and stamped sentiment.

This might sound obvious, but batch each step. For example, for each type of card, cut all your cards, fold all your cards, make all of your die cuts, glue items down, and stamp all your sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2018, 01:13 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quick cards --> use designer paper to cover the front!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the process of making 200 cards as of last night and because of this thread, I was very aware of the steps I took so I could make note of it to add to this thread. Right now - I'm making 40 cards a night for the next 5 days. I'm putting together the ribbon decorated clear paint pails of cards I've posted a few times, to give to a series of Drs and their assistants who have been so wonderful over the past few months!

Making multiples to me is a very different process than when I'm designing a new card. I take my sweet time in the creative phase, I perfect everything, then I have my sample and I get down to business. I personally hate making multiples even though I always do it - so I move as fast as possible through the stages of the assembly line of mass production - I do no dilly dallying when I'm making cards in bulk. I usually put on the Rolling Stones, their music always turns my energy up when I'm making duplicates. I think singing along really distracts from the monotonous tasks of multiples.

I think one of the most important things I do for myself is - as I finish each step, I place that part out of the card out of sight and just focus on the next part of the process. I get overwhelmed as parts of the cards stack
up. So out of sight - out of mind.

Also - I always have white card-stock cut for the inside pre-made and stockpiled. I don't have to deal with cutting those when making cards.

Attached is a picture of one of the 2 cards I made 20 of each last night. I'll use this as an example in the steps -

Part 1 - Start with card bases
1. Zoom through cutting 20 bases. The cutting blade on my trimmer - I make sure I use in both directions to save time. I don't move the blade back to the top, instead I slide in another sheet of card-stock and cut upward.
2. Then I score then and fold them.
3. Put those out of sight.

Part 2 - Cut layers
1. Quickly cut each layer I need - one color at a time. If I need 20 two by two white squares, I quickly cut them and pile them up, put them out of site.
2. Cut 20 red squares - put out of sight.
3. Cut 20 pieces of yellow cardstock and use the scallop blade on a different trimmer. Out of sight.

Part 3 - Assembly Line for Stamping.
1. I pull out the 20 bases - stamp the background- in this case, the starfish and stamp repeatedly over the card base.
2. Then I take the main image - in this case, the crab. I take 10 of the white squares, spread them out on my grid mat so they are even, and stamp the crab, moving right to left. (It's a wood stamp and I'm left handed.) I eyeball placement - I pretty much eyeball everything.
3. Cover the Crab in Wink of Stella and move out sight to dry.
3. Then Stamp the sentiment on the orange piece and get it out of the way.

Part 4 -Adhering
1. When I mass make cards, I use my large Xyron. I pack as many pieces as possible to minimize adhesive waste and run those suckers through the machine. I don't stop and cut the strips as they run through- I just let the machine keep pumping them out.
2. I then remove each piece - and start to pile the card together.
3. The crab is elevated with dimensionals - so those I flip those over - spread 10 out at a time on my desk, and zoom through sticking those on. Peeling off the back of the stickers is the most time consuming. So I use big squares of dimensionals to save time. I don't want to fuss with putting little ones in each corner and one in the center.
5. Put those in place and the card front is done.

Part 5 - Inside, Back, and Outside
1. Stamp on the inside piece. If it's a card that can be used for multiple cases, I stamp without a sentiment. But I always take an element of the card front and carry it over into the corner on the inside and also on the front corner of the envelope. For this card - the starfish is on the inside layer and the front of the envelope.
2. Adhere inside layer of cards
3. Turn each card over, back facing up, and place them on top of one another, with only the lower back portion of the card showing. I quickly place one of my signature labels on the back.

Part 6 - Last but not least...
1. Grab a handful of envelopes
2. Place the card on top of the envelope
3. Slide into a clear protective envelope

Although you can't tell from the picture - the crab is shimmering and elevated. So it's not a completely flat plain card.

And I'm done. I know it looks like a lot based on the length of this - but when singing to the Mother's Little Helper and She's Like a Rainbow - time flies. And like I said - I zoom through this and eyeball placement. I Minimize interruptions and just go for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Please share your tips for making multiple cards quickly.-img_3589.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

You have to treat it like an assembly line. The hardest part is the design. Once you have that, you can do each step all at once:

-cut your bases
-cut your layers
-use a stamp positioner to do all of your stamping. Perfect impressions in the exact same location. It's worth it to unmount your stamps, so you can use the positioner for everything.
-die cut
-color
-assemble: again, do the same step for all cards, rather than assembling each card one at a time.
-add bling/finishing touches

I've slammed out 100 holiday cards in no time by using this method.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2018, 11:44 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I agree, Catherine and Sue. The design is the hardest part no matter how detail or complex the card is. Then it is assembly line after that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Heat embossing does not have to be done one at a time. I used to do it that way, thinking I had to. Made 100 cards for Regionals recently with embossing. I rubbed the embossing buddy over 12 at a time (didn't have space for more), versamarked, powdered, and heat set in groups of 12. Couldn't believe how much faster it was!
And a stamp positioned is gold when making multiples!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StachView Post
Heat embossing does not have to be done one at a time. I used to do it that way, thinking I had to. Made 100 cards for Regionals recently with embossing. I rubbed the embossing buddy over 12 at a time (didn't have space for more), versamarked, powdered, and heat set in groups of 12. Couldn't believe how much faster it was!
And a stamp positioned is gold when making multiples!

To piggyback onto your heat embossing tip, the new Versafine Clair ink feels dry to the touch quickly, but can be heat embossed for more than five minutes after being stamped - some say longer. It's excellent for highly detailed stamps and sentiments, just like Versafine is.

So you can stamp a whole bunch of cards with its vivid colors or rich, dark black and use clear embossing powder over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I used my bathtub to quickly apply shimmer spray to a dozen or so cards at once. Clean-up was also simple, because it was contained to the tub.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2018, 09:36 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

I have a question for the serious cardmaker/stamper. What is your opinion on using the package paper sets to make cards with rather than hand stamping your image. I don't mean using up the entire pack like the 72 cards from a single package idea but one or two cards for friends and relatives. Maybe some to sell to co-workers. i have hundreds of stamps but so many of these sets from echo park etc are so dang cute. And i have 15 drawers full of stickers that i bought when i first thought of making scrapping pages. Then when i found a stampin up group and joined it seemed like the stickers and premade images weren't the thing to "do". Do you ladies look at the cards with the premade images when your at fairs etc or do they just not look as professional and you pass them up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I say go ahead! I personally love Graphic 45 and have only stamped the insides of the cards. All the elements..dodads, stickers, chic board etc on the front of the cards are Graphic 45 and those cards turn out beautiful. Echo Park has some great sets and I would use those too. So go ahead I think they look beautiful too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I read a brilliant tip in another thread: Score full sheet of cardstock, then cut in half. Cuts scoring time in half. (I have to pay attention to how I want my card to open before scoring, though).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2018, 04:05 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I make and sell over 2500 cards each year for two farmers markets I am in. Each card is stamped with an image (usually an Art Impression and yes I have their permission) coloured layered on black cardstock then layered on a designer piece which is layered on black and then mounted to the base. I do my cards usually in groups of 4, 8, 12, etc . I just sit and stamp, stamp, stamp. Colour, colour, colour. Then put them together. It is a very long season.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes