Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PLEASE, card info on SC, not in your blog!

Maybe I'm slipping into curmudgeonhood, but it frosts me when I see a nice card in the gallery, but there are no details about inks, papers, techniques, etc. Instead, we are treated to a link to someone's blog to find out about the creation of the card.

And what's more (now I'm really rollin') very often the link is into the current blog listing and NOT the particular card in the gallery. Really? We're supposed to scan through months of blog entries in order to find the information that should have been here on SC?

I think not. I'm boycotting everyone who has adopted this practice, pretty cards or not.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!
Stazon Splitcoast

As much as this has been talked about on the forum, but people still continue to do it, I'm sick of it, too.

I just don't leave comments on those cards.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Die Cut Diva

I dont leave comments on them either. i really dont know how many times we have to ask.
Kookie Creator

I don't mind so much, as long as the link goes to the card I want to see. Often the details are much more than they can do on SC, extra close-ups or more detail on how they did a technique. However, I hate it when it just goes to the current entry, too. I don't have time to root around trying to find that card. This is especially frustrating when you find a card from a few months ago that you'd like to CASE.
Kookie Creator

That doesn't bother me as much as when people mark yours as a favorite but don't leave a comment...I like to hear what people have to say
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think all materials used to make a card should be completed on the uploads, extra info or more details (or ramblings) can be on the blog!
Watercolor Wizard

Location: Where the Kookaburra's sit in the old gum tree's...
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with you here. That being said, when a link is posted to the blog, sometimes the blog doesn't even list the recipe!!! I don't understand it. Thanks for bringing it up one more time!
Hardware Hotshot

I am one who does this with instructions for for my projects and cards. However I do always post a link to the specific post and not my main blog.
I also list all products used on my SCS post.

Honestly I don't really see what the big deal with this is. On the other hand I really don't care if people don't wish to go to my blog. Just my 2 cents. ;)
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I completely agree with you!!! I refuse to leave comments for those cards. I don't alway have time to go blog hopping.

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mind reading eveyones blog. BUT! A list of your matrerials in your SCS Gallery too.

For those of that don't wish to view your blog.

I have a blog, BUT I always list what I used on my card or items that I made.

The only time I put my link to my blog is when I have uploade more information about how I made the card.

I don't put every card or item that I made here on SCS. I like having some of them on my blog as well.

Spoiler

Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamperView Post
Honestly I don't really see what the big deal with this is. On the other hand I really don't care if people don't wish to go to my blog. Just my 2 cents. ;)
The big deal is that I'm on SCS to get information for making cards. I'm not on SCS to view ads to visit people's blogs. If you don't want to take the time to upload all of the information here, well why upload here at all :confused: I know SCS wasn't created with upping blog stats in mind.
Pearl-ExPert

I don't mind the blog link at all, and I actually like the extra info on a project, but I do vote YES for a supply list. Sometimes I just don't have time to visit each blog, and search for the project if it is not linked correctly. I don't even mind if it is not listed in the provided slots by SCS.....just as long as there are some basic supplies listed somewhere ( I think I even prefer a typed list that they might copy/paste from their blog listing).....I'm a much happier gallery-looker!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I do put a link to my blog, but it's only as a "here's my blog if you wanna' take a look." I list all the supplies I used on my SCS uploads. I have been tempted many times to leave comments on cards that don't list any supplies except a blog link and put a link to threads like this in my comment, but I don't want to make enemies. I assume most of the time that the person is new and just doesn't know any better. This has been hashed out so many times in the past. Maybe SCS needs to make it mandatory that you have to complete the fields in the recipe before you can upload.

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!

Last edited by stampertammy; 03-03-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
The big deal is that I'm on SCS to get information for making cards. I'm not on SCS to view ads to visit people's blogs. If you don't want to take the time to upload all of the information here, well why upload here at all :confused: I know SCS wasn't created with upping blog stats in mind.
Why upload at all..Thats the question. When I look through the gallery I am there for inspration and find that in layouts, colors, images, and placement of the elements. Do I need a detailed explanation of the card to get what I'm looking for? Nope.

True that SCS was not designed with blogs in mind but prior to starting my blog I never listed alot of detail about how I created the card/project, just the stuff I used cause honestly most of the stuff I make it's pretty darn obvious how I used the supplies to create it...after all I'm a CAS stamper (Clean and Simple)

The purpose of my blog is to share details about my cards and most of my readers don't visit SCS (gasp!) Besides it's my blog and I can do what I want on it. Like I stated in my first post I don't care about blog stats, I have no adds, I'm not on a design team, it's just my tool to share my projects in the way I want.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampertammyView Post
I do put a link to my blog, but it's only as a "here's my blog if you wanna' take a look." I list all the supplies I used on my SCS uploads. I have been tempted many times to leave comments on cards that don't list any supplies except a blog link and put a link to threads like this in my comment, but I don't want to make enemies. I assume most of the time that the person is new and just doesn't know any better. This has been hashed out so many times in the past. Maybe SCS needs to make it mandatory that you have to complete the fields in the recipe before you can upload.
This would probably be the only way to make this happen, but I fear the "intentional" offenders would find a way around that too. :rolleyes:

Linda

My Gallery
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleStamperView Post
Why upload at all..Thats the question. When I look through the gallery I am there for inspration and find that in layouts, colors, images, and placement of the elements. Do I need a detailed explanation of the card to get what I'm looking for? Nope.

True that SCS was not designed with blogs in mind but prior to starting my blog I never listed alot of detail about how I created the card/project, just the stuff I used cause honestly most of the stuff I make it's pretty darn obvious how I used the supplies to create it...after all I'm a CAS stamper (Clean and Simple)

The purpose of my blog is to share details about my cards and most of my readers don't visit SCS (gasp!) Besides it's my blog and I can do what I want on it. Like I stated in my first post I don't care about blog stats, I have no adds, I'm not on a design team, it's just my tool to share my projects in the way I want.
I really didn't mean for my post to be a personal attack. But I think seasoned stampers, and those who are computer savvy enough to have branched out into blogs sometimes forget what it's like to be a beginner. Those of us who have been on SCS for years are used to familiar faces, along with common techniques. I think it's important to remember, though, that there are new people joining SCS every day. Not everyone knows how to blind emboss, what a Cuttlebug is, how to tie a pretty knot, or how to use a Stampamajig.
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The gallery is here for inspiration and recipes so it makes sense to fill in all the boxes appropriately for visitors of this site to view.

If you have more detailed info like more views, close-ups, tutorials, other color combos, it's awesome to add a link to the exact spot on your blog that would be pertinent.

I think the OP is not against blog links, just using blog links instead of filling in the boxes here.

Each of us has a choice whether or not to click on to see more but it is nice when you're looking at the gallery to see what kind of paper, brand of stamps or coloring medium the person used without having to leave.

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Polyshrink Goddess

I agree with the majority, I think it should be required to have the basic information. I used to go to the blog links but it took too long to find the information and sometimes I was never able to find it. It only takes a couple minutes at most to add the basic information to an upload.
Montague Mingler

This is a funny topic for me. I don't mind the "see my blog for more info" but admit to being totally blog challenged! I can never seem to find the place on the blog that has the info I'm looking for! Since my computer time is sometimes limited, I really appreciate having all the info and even some basic directions here on SCS.

Bloggers, don't get me wrong! I'm glad that you expand on your projects in your blog and I've seen some fantastic blog sites. I just know how frustrated I've been in the past to see a gorgeous card, not be able to figure it out and then not be able to find it on someone's blog. It makes me sad!

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by labullardView Post
This would probably be the only way to make this happen, but I fear the "intentional" offenders would find a way around that too. :rolleyes:

Linda
I know what you mean, Linda. Even as I clicked submit on that suggestion, I thought to myself, all you'd have to do is enter "......." in each field or something to that affect! Probably there is no good way around it, and it's just always going to be a problem of some kind!

Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I really didn't mean for my post to be a personal attack. But I think seasoned stampers, and those who are computer savvy enough to have branched out into blogs sometimes forget what it's like to be a beginner. Those of us who have been on SCS for years are used to familiar faces, along with common techniques. I think it's important to remember, though, that there are new people joining SCS every day. Not everyone knows how to blind emboss, what a Cuttlebug is, how to tie a pretty knot, or how to use a Stampamajig.
Blind emboss?... uh...what's that?

Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleGoodrichView Post
This is a funny topic for me. I don't mind the "see my blog for more info" but admit to being totally blog challenged! I can never seem to find the place on the blog that has the info I'm looking for! Since my computer time is sometimes limited, I really appreciate having all the info and even some basic directions here on SCS.

Bloggers, don't get me wrong! I'm glad that you expand on your projects in your blog and I've seen some fantastic blog sites. I just know how frustrated I've been in the past to see a gorgeous card, not be able to figure it out and then not be able to find it on someone's blog. It makes me sad!

LOL! You shouldn't have to know where to look. When someone links to their blog, their link should be to the exact post where the relevant info it, otherwise, they will only frustrate readers and they won't come back. So don't worry. Just hit your back button and come back here if the link takes you to something irrelevant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
LOL I love that smiley!

Kookie Creator

To be honest sometimes I don't know the name of my paper I used...or I might have gotten the image in a swap and don't know the maker of it. I use whatever I have on hand and don't always know the maker...that is just me though not sure but maybe others are like that too.
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

This is exactly why I always put all the details on my uploads even when I don't always feel like it. I may know every SU! color by sight and the different techniques, etc. but not everyone does and I didnt when I first began stamping. And if I don't have the 30 seconds at that moment that it takes to type the details in then I come back when I do have time and upload then.

OR if you blog 1st then upload to SCS just copy and paste the information from your blog post;)

This is a good point for all of us to remember
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreilly106View Post
To be honest sometimes I don't know the name of my paper I used...or I might have gotten the image in a swap and don't know the maker of it. I use whatever I have on hand and don't always know the maker...that is just me though not sure but maybe others are like that too.
In this instance then I type in "paper unknown" or "pink dp from M's last month, dont know the name..."
HTH
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
I think all materials used to make a card should be completed on the uploads, extra info or more details (or ramblings) can be on the blog!
ITA! I am a newbie who really needs the help figuring out what all goes into making particular cards, but with 2 toddlers running around I don't have time to search the galleries, THEN look on blogs, and still make the card, lol.
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You're not serious, right! It's not heat embossing, it's the other kind where the actual paper is raised. I'm sure you've used this technique with either Cuttlebug embossing folders or an old fashioned stylus and brass template!

I agree with the OP! I do have a blog, but I always put in all the information here as well as a direct link to the project shown. My thinking is: if I have time to type the info on my blog, I have time to cut and paste it on SCS. JulieHRR has posted a sticky (a long time ago) about this exact problem. It doesn't seem as though people read it. Perhaps not all go to the forums however. It might not be a bad idea to have the request placed on the upload page.

plus, I don't leave comments when there's only a blog link ... nice card or not. Call it perverse behaviour on my part, I don't care .
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

You're not serious, right! It's not heat embossing, it's the other kind where the actual paper is raised. I'm sure you've used this technique with either Cuttlebug embossing folders or an old fashioned stylus and brass template!
I never heard it called that before.

I thought I was missing out on a whole new world! LOL!

Stazon Splitcoast

One more reason that hasn't been mentioned is that if I see a gorgeous ribbon or a cool charm that I just *have* to have, I'd like to know who makes it (if you know) so I can find it myself! That's what usually makes me look at the recipe.
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Me too, Gina!! What great new tool do we need to buy for that, and where can we get it?? LOL
Stazon Splitcoast

Most of the time I don't even put a link to my blog when I post something in my gallery. The only time I do is when I've done something special and don't want to get really wordy.

Quote:

Me too....I though I was missing something here. I never heard it called 'Blind emboss' either.
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
One more reason that hasn't been mentioned is that if I see a gorgeous ribbon or a cool charm that I just *have* to have, I'd like to know who makes it (if you know) so I can find it myself! That's what usually makes me look at the recipe.
I agree completely Shannon!! I always love to see what people use so I can be enabled and go get it for myself!!
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

The term is used widely in the stationery industry, but I rarely hear it in the craft industry. I wonder why that is?
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The gallery is here for inspiration and recipes so it makes sense to fill in all the boxes appropriately for visitors of this site to view.

If you have more detailed info like more views, close-ups, tutorials, other color combos, it's awesome to add a link to the exact spot on your blog that would be pertinent.

I think the OP is not against blog links, just using blog links instead of filling in the boxes here.

Each of us has a choice whether or not to click on to see more but it is nice when you're looking at the gallery to see what kind of paper, brand of stamps or coloring medium the person used without having to leave.

Just my humble opinion.

Hugs,
Gina K.
My sentiments exactly.... P.S. I had never heard of "blind" embossing either
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
I agree with the OP! I do have a blog, but I always put in all the information here as well as a direct link to the project shown. My thinking is: if I have time to type the info on my blog, I have time to cut and paste it on SCS. JulieHRR has posted a sticky (a long time ago) about this exact problem. It doesn't seem as though people read it. Perhaps not all go to the forums however. It might not be a bad idea to have the request placed on the upload page.

plus, I don't leave comments when there's only a blog link ... nice card or not. Call it perverse behaviour on my part, I don't care .
The other day I was looking through the gallery and found several cards with just links to blogs -- no other info. Ordinarily I would just keep going, but then I thought maybe this person does not frequent the forums and just doesn't know, so instead I left a comment like "great card, you may want to read this thread" with a link to JulieHRR's thread. That way the person can't claim ignorance. I gess I figure it's nice to give a person the benefit of a doubt and lead them to the information before assuming that they are intentionally ignoring our requests for basic card info on SCS.
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Okay, I was stuck on what blind embossing was too. But decided to read all the way through the posts before I asked. Well, yes, I have done the old fashioned stylus with brass template ---- and was taught that it was dry embossing. No one ever called it blind embossing before. So I was in same boat as Gina K -- questioning and curious.

As for the OP and subject of this thread....my vote is put as much info as you can on the SCS gallery upload. If I have time, I will go to blogs. That is not always the case though. And as for the post that said that it was obvious what was used? Ummmm, the picture isn't always so obvious - or the image so small or not really sharp and clear to start with -- that image was heat embossed or that it was watercolored versus blender pen or even chalked. Plus I don't get the big deal about saying nonSU cs/cardstock or RAK image or random ribbon.

My biggest gripe about blogs are the ones with music. I keep the volume quite low, but some blog music seems to over-ride my volume control and this loud music blasts out into an otherwise quiet late night and wakes up others. Trust me, that is NOT cool.

Carol in MN
Stazon Splitcoast

I want to clarify my earlier post by saying that I have no problem with those that do list a "recipe" and then say "for more info, see my blog at *link*."

The ones I have a problem with are those that list nothing but a link to their blog...that is what is so irritating.