Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #41  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by crrimalView Post
I really hate when I go to a site, decide to leave so I hit the back button on my browser and can't get out of the site without closing out of my browser tab. If a company is going to prevent me from leaving the conventional way, they won't be getting my card number. Seems unscrupulous to me!
Christi
Amen. That's a big one with me. What do they think they gain by not letting you leave their site? Except maybe to make potential customers mad thus reducing the likely hood of their ever purchasing from the site.
Dea
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 AM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's funny how everyone is different...one of my favorite video "makers" on YouTube is Darline DeVries because I love the music she chooses for her videos and they are all done in fast forward I remember watching one over and over and my daughter came in and said "That must be a super hard card that you are trying to do...you have watched that video 100 times" and I had to laugh because I wasn't "watching it" at that point, I just had it on to listen to the song! I did not know who it was by (of course my daughter knew and swiftly downloaded it onto my computer for me!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I really hate when I go to a site, decide to leave so I hit the back button on my browser and can't get out of the site without closing out of my browser tab. If a company is going to prevent me from leaving the conventional way, they won't be getting my card number. Seems unscrupulous to me!

Christi
I hate that too. I'm not sure about other browsers but if it happens in IE you can click right on your back button and the last several links you were at will show up and you can get back to where you were. I didn't know that for the longest time until I got frustrated one day and my husband told me how to avoid closing the browser.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #44  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a lot of crafting pet peeves, either. but I want to express my hearty agreement with Joanne on the subject of incorrect product names. I have reached the point where I cannot take seriously anyone who refers to "Modge-Podge" or "pattern paper," and I come close to throwing things at the screen when someone exclaims, "Wallah!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanne SView Post
I think people expect professional studio type craft videos on You Tube and that's not fair to the average craft video maker. I'm just happy that people take the time to share when a 3 minute video can take up to 3 hours to make.
I DO still watch and enjoy all the tutorials that I click on, even if they have music. I don't abandon the video; I just mute it - but I still watch the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melolearyView Post
I don't have a lot of crafting pet peeves, either. but I want to express my hearty agreement with Joanne on the subject of incorrect product names. I have reached the point where I cannot take seriously anyone who refers to "Modge-Podge" or "pattern paper," and I come close to throwing things at the screen when someone exclaims, "Wallah!"
Oh dear, I must confess that I had thought of it as "Modge-Podge" until I read this! LOL I googled it and found it is "MOD-Podge". LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #47  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts

There are two misspellings that drive me nuts..
Cuddlebug...it's Cuttlebug (sigh)
Scraping instead of scrapping--unless, of couse, you are using your fingernails on a blackboard, your knee along the sidewalk, or a spatula against the side of a mixing bowl...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #48  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Mod Podge is so commonly called modge podge that when you google modge podge it shows all the mod podge listings.

I hate scraping when you mean scrapping. i have even seen blogs with titles that include scraping :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #49  
Polyshrink Goddess

crooked cards and people who don't use a stamp a ma jig for 2 step stamping. Not sure if that is the kind of pet peeves you are looking for but I have to have my card pieces straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are going to make a video then take the gum out of your mouth while doing so.... Please!!

Just came across a video last week that was truly disgusting. The person must have had a very large wad of gum in their mouth because they smacked, slurped and noisily chewed the entire time. The video was even edited!! Several areas where they cut away for drying time or something then came back. I kept thinking when they come back the gum will be gone but nope they were chewing their cud. How could someone have NOT noticed and then been too embarrassed to upload.

Gross!!!

Last edited by stampin stacy; 06-04-2013 at 05:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Seriously, gum chewing? That's just gross!

I can't really say I have any crafting pet peeves, my issues are more along the lines of what's already been mentioned, scraping instead of scrapping, the whole "modge-podge" thing. But since other grammatical errors were brought up, I'd like to bring up the fact that it really, really bugs me when there are obvious errors right in headlines of articles. A while back, People magazine had an article about Will and Kate's baby, and right on the cover it says "How the couple are preparing..." Couple, even though it consists of two people, is actually a singular noun, so it should read "How the couple IS preparing...etc." Right.on.the.cover. Then a week later I see a headline in our local paper that a baseball game was postponed due to thunder and lightening. That word was misused throughout the entire article.

Sorry about this rant and that I got off topic, but honestly, what are our journalism majors learning? I know my grammar isn't always perfect, but if I were writing an article professionally, it certainly would be.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hmm... I'm not very peevy either, but I did think of two things that burn my cookies (craft related only--grammar is another animal).

1. Businesses that refuse to let you complete an order without telling you where you found them. I shop at one that does this as a last resort. They'd get much more of my money if they didn't try to extort information. It's one thing to ask. It's another to require. Frankly, I don't know how I found them, so every time I fill it out, I feel like I'm lying. Another reason I don't shop there much.

2. Blog music. The moment it pops up, I close out the blog. And I do mean the MOMENT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #53  
Kookie Creator

How about designers of decoupage whose designs are so complex that it is impossible to cut round all the parts. Don't they try their own products out?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Wow - we are a cranky bunch... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
Hmm... I'm not very peevy either, but I did think of two things that burn my cookies (craft related only--grammar is another animal).

1. Businesses that refuse to let you complete an order without telling you where you found them. I shop at one that does this as a last resort. They'd get much more of my money if they didn't try to extort information. It's one thing to ask. It's another to require. Frankly, I don't know how I found them, so every time I fill it out, I feel like I'm lying. Another reason I don't shop there much.
One of the noncrafty stores I shop at wants to know how you found them, in part because if someone referred you, they have a rewards program for that. But one of the drop down choices is "I am a returning customer." So going forward, if you like this store otherwise, I would use that.

Along these lines, there is a store out there that wants to know my full date of birth. No. way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Wow - we are a cranky bunch... ;)
This post actually made me laugh, I actually try to be pretty positive and upbeat in real life, but those little things that get me, sometimes I just need to vent! Most of the time I feel that ladies here are much more understanding than my real life friends. And my DH just doesn't get it either.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #57  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemomView Post
My pet peeve is shipping charges. If I special order at Hobby Lobby, they don't charge a shipping fee. If I spend a LOT at most online vendors, there is no shipping charge. Why, then, when I spend $300 on SU do I have to pay $30 in shipping? Their products are pricey enough but then add on 10% in shipping?????? I am a demo (discount only) my discount barely covers the shipping and tax. I think 10% shipping is hard for anyone to swallow.
I agree. SU's shipping is astronomical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Oh dear, I must confess that I had thought of it as "Modge-Podge" until I read this! LOL I googled it and found it is "MOD-Podge". LOL
A dear friend of mine, who is a little hard of hearing, referred to bling on cards and scrapbook pages as "blink" until we gently corrected her

Misuse of apostrophes makes my head hurt, but I'm a librarian, so I guess that makes me more sensitive to it!

My biggest crafting pet peeve is when sites which sell patterned paper show such a small picture of it that you can barely tell what color it is, let alone see the design.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2013, 11:07 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

In contrast to the previous post, I am a bit of a sucker for 6x6" paper pads and a number of times I have looked at the cover of a (sealed) pad, loved the design, bought it, then discovered the actual designs are much bigger and not to my liking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:56 AM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I myself am guilty of the "please see my blog for details", but only on certain galleries where you only have a few lines for verbiage, however, I do use a direct link to that specific post. One of my peeves is how so many large companies and popular challenge blogs do not use direct links to their designers in their posts......if I have to search an individual's blog for a particular post, I usually just forget it. It doesn't take long to edit a post after it goes live.....or there is always the option of using permalinks. It's the same for a lot of projects here.....a lot of people will list their blog in the description, but not a direct link....for me, that is a bit disappointing.

One of my biggest pet peeves is with myself......when I am crafting, if I didn't drop everything on the floor, I might be able to get something done!!! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:48 AM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

My pet peeve is companies that do not have a design team or seem to ignore their customers. They do not respond to posts on FB or message boards except to showcase their in-house designers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:06 AM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TMI

I'm not a fan of bloggers who post about their families, health issues, kids awards or honors and going into detail about why they haven't blogged in a while. If you must say something just say you were busy.

I know people have every right to post whatever they want on their blogs but we all know everybody has problems. The people who know you and care about you probably know about the health crisis.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I've also seen scrapbooking stores online that have scrapin or scrapy in the title. I'm kind of embarrassed for them.
Scrapyland is one such store. But they have good stuff so I forgive them. There is a Scrappyland also which is not so good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:21 AM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

Here is my big huge pet peeve, and it's really a BIG one! I am 55. My favorite magazines (I'm talking to YOU, Stampington & Company) have been taken over by young things who have no clue what's going to happen to their eyesight in the next 20 years. What in the world is with this white text on grey background? pink text on cream background? pale blue on pink background? Do you want me to read the words or am I only supposed to look at the pictures? It's bad enough you are using 8pt type, but c'mon, at least give me some definition so I can find where to point my magnifying glass!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, and one more smaller pet peeve- once I posted a complaint about a particular stamp set here on a message board. Someone from the company replied and their "help" was that I should buy their newer product line. That was their idea of "help"- that I should buy MORE of a product that I was already not satisfied with. Nothing else, no suggestions, helpful hints, nada. Yeah, that was a peeve!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #66  
Glitter Queen

I wish all vendors would indicate stamp and die sizes. Even better, actually show the product in full size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have read every one of these and got a good laugh and a big sigh over various ones. Nobody mentioned my biggest gripe which is those who feel they need to proselytize -whether it's religion or politics. This site is not the place for it - that's what their blogs are for.
I must say, on the positive side, I really, really enjoy Wednesday mornings with a cup of mocha and ScS. Best email day of the week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #68  
ch
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
Here is my big huge pet peeve, and it's really a BIG one! I am 55. My favorite magazines (I'm talking to YOU, Stampington & Company) have been taken over by young things who have no clue what's going to happen to their eyesight in the next 20 years. What in the world is with this white text on grey background? pink text on cream background? pale blue on pink background? Do you want me to read the words or am I only supposed to look at the pictures? It's bad enough you are using 8pt type, but c'mon, at least give me some definition so I can find where to point my magnifying glass!
You are so right! One year SU's catty was printed with very light lettering. I think they got enough flack that it was different the next year. Just give me bold black type--in a readable font. Maybe have someone over 50 proof it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
I have read every one of these and got a good laugh and a big sigh over various ones. Nobody mentioned my biggest gripe which is those who feel they need to proselytize -whether it's religion or politics. This site is not the place for it - that's what their blogs are for.
I must say, on the positive side, I really, really enjoy Wednesday mornings with a cup of mocha and ScS. Best email day of the week!
I have to agree with both of these points - your politics and religion have no place on SCS.

My pet peeve that is particularly related to SCS are people who post cards with no description, nothing listed in the supplies, and no link to their blog post. I've learned so much from cards posted on SCS but only from those that give me some information!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #70  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I also have a pic somewhere of a frame I saw at a store that said "The Girl's" at the bottom. :rolleyes:
The funniest thing I've read recently:
"Every time someone uses an apostrophe to make a plural, a puppy dies!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #71  
Glitter Queen

Default Wallah

Quote:

That stuff doesn't bother me too much (well, other than wallah-doesn't everyone hate that??) but when people misuse their, they're and there or your and you're it kinda makes my eye twitch a little.
This made me laugh really hard. My DH and I have been together 41 years and he has always said "twa lah". I gave up years ago trying to correct it. Now the whole family says it to him. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by chView Post
You are so right! One year SU's catty was printed with very light lettering. I think they got enough flack that it was different the next year. Just give me bold black type--in a readable font. Maybe have someone over 50 proof it!
I second that. Awhile back I was looking through some of my older SU catalogs and noticing how nice they were... I couldn't put my finger on why I liked to look at the pages so much -- the styles of stamps were pretty dated but still fun to look at -- then I realized it was because the images and the text were in BLACK ink!! Wow what a great concept -- I love grey but not for reading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

having to "like" a site on facebook to get a discount. or having to do that to get digital freebies. i do not have a facebook, if i ever have a moment, i look at my husband's. between my 20 somethings and my husband i figure enough of our life is dedicated to facebook, no one is missing me.

national scrapbooking day was celebrated with a blog hop and 98% of the blogs required a facebook to get their free part of the digital kit. i finally gave up. the idea seemed fun, but my time is worth something. i would rather just go to a site and pay the $5 for the kit all in one spot and then get busy using it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

I get irritated when customers color hard with my SU! markers and ruin the nibs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #75  
Embossing Fanatic

I agree wholeheartedly with most of the peeves but especially the following:
- Double digit bloggers in a hop in which you are supposed to leave comments to "win" a giveaway
- Overwhelming music when the site opens
- No size or dimensions given for stamps, dies, etc.
- No way to enlarge the product being viewed
- Videos with to much background noise or such low volume they can't be heard
- No products or techniques listed for cards posted
- "Wallah!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #76  
Inking Addict

My pet peeve is blog candies that refuse to notify the winner. At least make an attempt. Don't follow up more but one email should be enough. But sometimes a computer is down, sometimes blogger is having problems, etc. Like the recent tornado outbreaks - power does go off, and blogging isn't the first thought afterward. I've lost out on a few for the owner not making any attempt to let me know. Luckily I have friends who have emailed me on occasion.
And I follow TONS of blogs, but I am starting to delete the ones that list pricing and sales of stores where they just keep listing that info on their blog! If the prices are listed somewhere else on a huge list - just tell me where to find it - don't copy the whole LONG LIST into your posting!
One more thing, there is a program you can download called WORDWEB and it helps tremendously with spelling!! Not a spell checker - doesn't find your errors - but helps you find a correct spelling when in doubt! Use it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #77  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't found much that bother's me that I can't adjust to, like turning off the volume...Blog Hops with prizes & lots, I MEAN LOTS, of people to visit, I don't bother with, that's about all I dislike! Those are USUALLY companies! BUT, I THINK we forget, blogs are PERSONAL TASTE! So, we shouldn't be TOO HARD on these folks! They're just EXPRESSING THEMSELVES! If you don't like it, don't visit! Everyone has their PERSONAL TASTE! Just like, FOOD! Not everyone likes the same thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

frances,

i just forwarded that to my daughter. she has 8 years of college and she is a grammar snob! in about the 7th grade she got her first "love note" from a boy and all she could say was "i want to use a red pen and circle the errors and return it" this was not a lasting relationship!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #79  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakhuxelView Post
Agree! There's a reason that schools no longer have blackboards. It strains your eyes. Now we have blue boards or green boards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #80  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
Blogs that play music! I often open things in a new tab to read later, but if it opens and plays music, I close it without bothering to read.

OH MY GOSH!!! I SO agree with this. I have to leave them QUICKLY!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes