Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-28-2018, 12:45 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I mail all my cards out to family, friends, neighbors, and our church family. A lot of times people call and than me for a card! Warms my heart. At Christmas, several have written in their cards how much they enjoy my handmade cards. That is enough to keep me making and sending them! My DH thinks I am keeping the P.O. in business and putting Hallmark our of business! LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

for every 5-10 people who get a card and don't acknowledge it, there's 1 who calls/emails me and says how much they like it or it cheered them up. And then there's the rare gems who send me a thank you card for their card Like many who've posted here, the joy for me is in the making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagstampsView Post
My husband told me a few years ago that I spend LOTS more time making cards than anyone does looking at them. I explained that my joy was in making them and anything anyone else got out of it was just extra. I send out about 125 Christmas cards each year and lots of birthday & anniversary cards. I also donate card to our local retirement center and a quilt guild I belong to. Most times I don't hear back but the few times I do just reminds me how much I enjoy it.
That's a good observation. Kinda like holiday meals. Days worth of prep and effort, over in a few short moments, but the gathering ... worth every bit of energy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 04:55 PM   #44  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always loved buying and sending cards for my own use and for a store I worked at. Now I love making them. I'm gratified that so many people enjoy them and most let me know in one way or another. I really don't expect to receive cards from everyone I send to but it really gets me down when I don't get any from certain people. I also can't stand the excuses people use about the cards or the postage being too expensive, or in the case of christmas, all too time consuming. People, I know how expensive or time consuming it is, I actually buy the materials and make them. I have eliminated some people and felt bad about it but think I feel worse knowing I send for birthdays and holidays and don't ever get anything back. The first message on here ended with the person saying that they didn't want to sound mean. I don't think you sound mean at all. As fun as it is for us to make and send these cards, it would be so nice to think someone made the effort to pick one out at the store. I think there are still a lot of great professional artists out there and not all cards are $10 and $12 a card. so please send me one, I promise I won't be insulted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
I enjoy making and sending cards so I do....

I have some funny stamps for the envelopes and card backs (Stacy sent me a card with the envelope stamped) -one says WORLDS Most Expensive Card company--we all need that one!

Good Cardma Stamp Set | Clear Stamps | Technique Tuesday
Snail Mail Stamp Set | Clear Stamps | Technique Tuesday

If you find out where that World's Most Expensive Card Company stamp is from, let us know. I definitely NEED that one!! Nice link on the others, too! Thanks!

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #46  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaygee47View Post
I like to send cards to people, sometimes that doesn't happen for many reasons. However, I am going to start a #mailitmonday so that I can get these cards to people who would enjoy them. Anyone with me?

Love it! I'll join ya!

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #47  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaygee47View Post
I like to send cards to people, sometimes that doesn't happen for many reasons. However, I am going to start a #mailitmonday so that I can get these cards to people who would enjoy them. Anyone with me?
This happens to me too! I get an idea and make a card way ahead of time but then life happens and next thing you know it's too late for a card to arrive on time so I don't send it. #mailitmonday good plan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2018, 09:21 AM   #48  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy-stamperView Post
Thank you for the links, Pia. Those are wonderful stamp sets!

I have had family members who don't send any cards to us and hadn't acknowledged the ones I had sent later tell me that they love the handmade cards and save every one! Glad I kept sending them...
You are very welcome.

I had a few more thank yous from the cards I sent last week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2018, 07:50 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post

(my gma has since passed away, and I found a huge box of cards I had made and mailed them over the years in the house after)
My Mum passed away two years ago and when we went through her things, I found a box of every single card I ever made and mailed to her - I was so touched and it truly meant a lot to me that she kept them all. She was a big believer in recycling so cut the card fronts off those cards and remade them into other cards - I know she would have approved of that!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2018, 05:11 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

If you expect people to act the way you think they should - you are always going to be disappointed. I never send out a card expecting a "thank you" - but if I get one (and I sometimes do) I am thrilled that someone recognized the effort that was made. Like so many others here, my true joy is in the creation process. Nanette
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2018, 04:57 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Several days ago, based on this thread and another talking about giving up stamping, I was motivated and went down to my craft room and dug out a couple cards from my stash that had been sitting there for a while getting dusty. And I actually sent them out. Today I stopped by one of the ladies' house, to return a borrowed item. She had had triple bypass surgery and was recovering fairly well. She thanked me so much for the card, saying how much she enjoyed receiving it. That is what it is all about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

Arlene you and I are in the same page!! I custom design the cards I make for Birthdays, showers, Weddings Etc. Holidays only my Kids and Grands get individual cards.I try to use the persons favorite colors favorite things Etc. I think of person the the entire time I am creating and imagine the persons reaction when opening Etc.
If I’m there when they open the card I anticipate that they are going to love the card more than the money in it. Sadly I’m usually disappointed. Their eyes light up when they see the amount of the check not the card LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2018, 06:04 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I send out lots of handmade cards and find most people enjoy receiving them, but still do not send cards of their own - especially Christmas cards. I will keep sending out cards though because "love" mail is a trend I'd like to see come back.

In this world of $5 lattes I personally don't believe that not sending cards is a money issue. IMHO it just seems that most people are too comfortable with digital responses for everything - actual talking or interacting appears to be a lost art. I about fell over when I found out there were e-sympathy cards. Seems just incredibly impersonal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2018, 08:34 AM   #54  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I send nearly all the cards I make because I made them, so what else is there to do with them? I do understand the disappointment of sending out cards over and over to people who don't reciprocate. I sent a very special, personalized bday card to my SIL last week. Her birthday happens to be the day after mine. She sent me a text message that said "happy birthday". Nothing else; not even, "hope you have a special day" or"you're old", heehee. I told my husband I may be done sending her cards. But in reality, I know I'll send her a card next year when her birthday cones around because who knows, maybe she's just not in a good place right now.

I do make way more cards than I need, but I donate to causes that will use them and I gift a big box of cards to my best friend every year for her birthday because that's what she loves to receive. She is one of those who still sends cards to people - there are some who still do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #55  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 606 Likes on 426 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
If you find out where that World's Most Expensive Card Company stamp is from, let us know. I definitely NEED that one!! Nice link on the others, too! Thanks!

Joni
It is by technique Tuesday in the good cardma ser
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
It is by technique Tuesday in the good cardma ser

Thank you soooo much!!! This community is the bestest!

Joni, paging Ms. Google...paging Ms. Google...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #57  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

I was upset that my SIL that gets cards for every holiday and every one of her family’s occaisions could not bother to send her Brother a birthday card. In her defense she did call him. Well yesterday ( 2 weeks after his birthday) a beautiful card showed up.

She sent it to our Summer address and it took a long time to forward. I am so glad I didn’t say anything to my husband about her not sending him a card lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
Thank you for bringing this up again. Our family is rather small plus we don't have a big circle of friends so we don't receive a lot of cards. But, I love making cards and thanks to SCS I send many of my cards to Cards for a Cause every month and a couple of places that disperse the cards to Kids in the hospital.

One of the things I do struggle with is when I do send a card to someone "just because" I can't think of anything to say. I feel like I should write something like "Hi, we're fine" but it seems so silly.

Do you all write something interesting or what do you say? We're just 2 old retired people who watch a lot of TV (in the winter) plus I make cards. HEHE.
I always write a personal note in the cards I send---and I send at least 15 a month for various occasions to various people---with just a bit of information of what we are doing or any trips we have been on, or maybe just the weather. I will ask what they are up to or comment on something they said in an email or letter. Sometimes i'll include a picture or article that I think they will be interested in. I will always send wishes for them to be well, safe and happy. All this depends on who I'm sending to and how old they are, as I don't always expect much from my young nieces, nephews and grandkids. That being said, a step-nephew has written me several notes through out the years, answered my questions and offered news. What unexpected treats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

I make cards because I absolutely love the process. I send cards because I want people to know I'm thinking of them, love them, care about them and want them to be happy. There is never any thought about reciprocation. It is my unconditional gift. However, with email at most people's fingertips, I think it would be nice to receive an acknowledgement so we know at least our gift got there. After all, a handmade card takes a lot of thought, preparation and time to create and send on time---way more than most gifts. Except for those that tell us how we brightened their day, I guess we really may never know the impact we make in someone else's life with our cards, and will have to be OK with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2018, 05:34 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Strangely (and very pleasantly), recently I have experienced a surge of cards and letters coming my way. All the little nephews and nieces I'd been making cards for have now grown waaaaaaaay older (where has the time gone???) and have been sending me letters and cards far more often than before!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

It is true that there will always be some people who do not appreciate what is given.

I send cards to family and friends at the expected times (birthday, Christmas) but I do take extra care to send cards to some of the elderly people in my family or friends, etc. They appreciate the thought and time I put in, AND I know some of them are very lonely and could use the pick-me-up.

There are other ways to send your hand -made cards, such as many of the charities.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #62  
Glitter Queen

Default Cards for Troops

Hi Everyone- Not sure if this is the best place for this question so here goes-
Does anyone know where we can send homemade cards for troops or veterans? There used to be an organization called Operation write home that we could send the cards to and they would distribute them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapNstampmariaView Post
Does anyone know where we can send homemade cards for troops or veterans? There used to be an organization called Operation write home that we could send the cards to and they would distribute them.

I recently ran across this thread.
Thank you cards for our Troops by DLS881 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #64  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapNstampmariaView Post

I went looking for Operation Write Home - and the web page says it may have merged with another charity. It just doesn't say which one. That's a shame because it was such a good group. I'm guessing a bit of burnout? Their FB page hasn't had a new posting since Dec. 2015.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 05:37 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got a text from my youngest grand, thanking me for the Valentine card. She just received it today!!! I was thinking she lost her manners, and she was probably thinking I forgot to send her a card.

On another note... I know a sweet 90something lady who saves all the cards she receives. She told her family she wants to be buried with them so she can enjoy them forever and ever.
Proud Fan Club Member
Proud MMTPTCC Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

There are exactly TWO people in my life that send me cards - my best friend back East, and one of my sisters. I have a HUGE family, but no one is very good at communicating (including myself). I have never felt that whether we send a card should be contingent on the likelihood of receiving one in return. I don't have a "list", so I can't take anyone off of it - I just send cards to whoever, whenever and don't worry about reciprocation or acknowledgement or anything else. I know what MY life is like and how often occasions pass me by without any input from me, so I would never presume that anyone else has time or attention to spare. It is what it is what it is and we should just do what we do because we WANT to, and for no other reason at all! Just my two cents...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #67  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't send online cards. If I need a card and don't have one I made handy I will buy a card but I NEVER send online greeting cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #68  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

As I said earlier in the thread I do mail out a lot of cards. But I do actually also send e-cards. Usually more as just because and keeping in touch cards. I think my annual sub to Blue Mountain is well worth it. There's some great animation and interactive games which is something I'm never going to be able to do myself. Ironically, the only time I have ever received a thanks from my half-brother was when I decided to give up sending him real cards for his birthday and started sending e-cards. They make it easy for people to acknowledge ;-).

Quote:

Originally Posted by zipper28View Post
I don't send online cards. If I need a card and don't have one I made handy I will buy a card but I NEVER send online greeting cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
As I said earlier in the thread I do mail out a lot of cards. But I do actually also send e-cards. Usually more as just because and keeping in touch cards. I think my annual sub to Blue Mountain is well worth it. There's some great animation and interactive games which is something I'm never going to be able to do myself. Ironically, the only time I have ever received a thanks from my half-brother was when I decided to give up sending him real cards for his birthday and started sending e-cards. They make it easy for people to acknowledge ;-).
Yes, it is easy to acknowledge an e-card, but it is not much harder to send an email or text to thank someone for a real handmade card. It's not like a note card needs to be found, a stamp bought, a typewriter be lugged out, etc. Most people have a devise in their hand at all times and seem to be using them constantly. I don't see an excuse for the lack of common courtesy. That being said, I send cards through out the year to some people I never hear from in any way, shape or form for any reason ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #70  
Hardware Hotshot

About 15 years ago, my mom got too busy around the holidays and couldn’t find time to send her Christmas cards. So she decided to make and send Valentines instead, about 125 of them. (She is not stamper but just put a bunch of materials together from Michael’s. She doesn’t make cards the rest of the year.) She got a great reaction...far-flung friends called her to say how much they enjoyed her card. Others told her that her Valentine stood out compared to the flood of Christmas cards.

So she kept it up. When my dad died a few years later her Valentine was a tribute to him. She spends weeks planning and making them. She doesn’t hear back from everyone, but far more people than if she had just sent a store-bought boxed Christmas card.

Now she’s 80. Her cards have gotten even more elaborate. This year’s each had TEN hearts on them, which she cut by hand (Mom! There are diecut machines that will do that!) She said, “At my age I have to keep sending these each year or people will think I died!” You go Mom!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #71  
Cardstock Collector

I make birthday cards for my family and friends. I am a senior and learning new techniques keep me busily occupied. One son-in-law is very encouraging. On days I am not 100% satisfied with my "creations", I remember him saying to me that as long as I am happy making the cards, that is all that matters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a SIL like that, too! So glad he married into our family!
Reply With Quote Likes