Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-24-2007, 07:37 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchie
I have a very advanced system in place to keep track of my scraps. It all goes into a single bin and I just rummage through it. lol It's kind of been in the back of my mind to get it organized, but I've procrastinated. So I do a lot of digging in the bin. You ladies have some great ideas for this.
It's like you and I are the same person!!!! LOL. My bin also has stuff in it that needs to be thrown out cardboard backing for stickers (may need that some day) and crazy things like that. I swear once my garage sale is over this weekend, I will get to my craft area and make it look nice again.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

I use ziplocs from Archiver's and by color family - I use my scraps pretty religiously.

I have even used really small pieces (1x1) to journal or for corners. My Dad keeps asking me where I get these handwritten tags.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

I only use 8-1/2 x 11 paper so all of my paper is in two, two-drawer file cabinets in hanging files. I have two files for each color, the front file is scraps and the next one is full sheets. It is so easy to find scraps of the right color and I find I am so much better at using up stuff this way than the other methods I'd used. This has really worked well for me.
Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've been salvaging scraps from each card project I make by 1. Saving the larger pieces in a plastic craft box with a lid to use on card fronts, 2. Using my punches and cuttlebug to cut shapes which I store in a plastic craft box. I especially enjoy cutting out flower shapes which I can attach as embellishments either with glue, an eyelet or brads, and shapes such as ovals and circles to stamp with a small image or sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 08:09 AM   #45  
Mad Swapper

I finally found a system that works for me.

I have a big file box that I keep under my desk. Colors are kept in groups (Stampin' Up! - soft subtles, bold brights, rich regals, earth elements, neutrals, etc.), and each color gets its own folder. Full size sheets and half sheets are kept here.

Anything smaller than a half sheet is stored in plastic sterlite drawer units ... one drawer per color group. I have the two of the 3-drawer units so I have a drawer for soft subtles, bold brights, rich regals, earth elements, white/vanilla and one for miscellaneous (confetti, naturals, metallics, glossy, etc.) I keep any scrap large enough to get at least a punch out of it. Since I"m a demonstrator, I make baggies of punches and give them to my customers. I will punch out tags, circles, and squares using the larger punches, and white and vanilla using the smaller size punch so they can layer if they want. I love getting rid of my scraps this way and customers love them.

Simmy :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #46  
Stampin' Fool

I was storing all my scraps in page protectors (one for each color), but found the binders that I was storing them in awkward to use. I was cruzin the stamp rooms gallery looking for some inspiration and found this storage idea: Paper Storage by sangera at Splitcoaststampers by sargera. I did this with the new index punch and i put all my scraps mixed with the half pages. I LOVE IT!!! I can see at a glance what colors I need to use a little more frequently to use up some of my scraps and it looks pretty too!

Debby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I can't bring myself to throw scraps away, especially with all the wonderful punches. I tend to "mat" just about everything so the small pieces come in handy. I use a vinyl accordian check file, and sort the scraps by color family. I always check in there first before ever cutting into a full sheet. It stands open by itself on my table and I can just reach in and find what I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 11:22 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm glad I'm not the only one saving scraps (and getting overrun with them!)

I've got mine in an accordion folder with sections for each SU color family, one for neutrals, one for metallics, one for In-Color, and one for patterned paper.

One day I'm going to sit down and make a bazillion tags! and the new special issue of Paper Crafts magazine has a great idea for the larger scraps: small note cards (or even maybe postcards).

I really need to do this. I feel like I'm wasting paper by letting them all sit there.

Someone needs to come up with a great idea to decorate a tin or something with scraps. HELP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 11:27 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinagriff
I was recently overrun by my paper scraps too. I went through them all and tossed everything that was smaller than half of an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. That filled up one large trash bag. The rest are in hanging file folders in a milk crate with tabs labeled - yellow, green, blue, etc. I organize them by color families.
This was the best thing I had done in my craft room in a long time. I've been stamping for over 10 years and had saved every scrap! Now I'm off to a fresh start. I haven't regretted tossing all of those scraps one bit.
Dina
My type of stamper! I have been stamping for over 10 years as well. I'm not as organized as you though. I throw them in the top drawer of my desk, once I get sick of it, out they all go to the recycle bin. I do dig thru it when I need a small piece to punch but right now I have old SU colors in the bottom. Anything larger than 1/4 sheet goes into my hanging files with the full sheets of cardstock. I just don't have room or patience to organize scraps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESS
. so I packaged them up and sold them on Ebay as a "Paper Salad" I was surpirsed at how much others were willing to pay for something I wanted out of my house so badly!
This interests me. I have a full file drawer full of scraps sorted by color family and I am overrun! What area of category did you sell it under, Crafts? Exactly how much paper did you have and how much did it sell for. How small and/or big were the pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #51  
Glitter Queen

Why be wasteful? Instead of just throwing it away...give it away. If you have a downline or customers (new or old), offer the scraps to anyone who wants them. This way you build a relationship with your customers. They'll appreciate your thoughtfulness because you took the time to ask if they were interested in the scraps, and they may in turn order some additional supplies, a coordinating c/s or ink to be able to use the scraps they got from you! Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 05:31 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol HaneyView Post
It's like you and I are the same person!!!! LOL. My bin also has stuff in it that needs to be thrown out cardboard backing for stickers (may need that some day) and crazy things like that. I swear once my garage sale is over this weekend, I will get to my craft area and make it look nice again.
Maybe it's a MANITOBA thing eh? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeoceanView Post
I have a Hanging File Folder cabinet that has a folder for each color. The scraps go into the folder with the full size sheets of the same color. This way, when I am making a card, I can see if there is a scrap the size near the one I want that I can use before cutting a full sheet. If not, there is the full sheet.

I used to group them by color families and then tried by shade by I just found it too time consuming to look for the right color in the right size in a pile of other colors.
I do the same thing but with the milk crate and each hanging folder(by color) has a manila folder inside for the smaller scraps---anything smaller than a card front. This was my first way of doing it and then i tried the drawer system---everything in a couple of empty drawers, that just didn't work, so i went back to this way. If i need a piece of paper for a layer or such, I check the manila folder first then the hanging folder and then go to my full sheet stock. I don't save anything smaller than a 2" square. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

If they're scraps that you aren't particularly attached to, maybe post them for trade or free on the bst forum for a newbie stamper. When I was starting out a couple of years ago, I asked for scraps to get me going, because at the time I couldn't afford full packages of the SU colors all at once, and the family packs don't have enough of each color in them to start with really. I was so grateful for all the help that some of the members here gave me by sending me their scrap pieces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wenchieView Post
I have a very advanced system in place to keep track of my scraps. It all goes into a single bin and I just rummage through it. lol It's kind of been in the back of my mind to get it organized, but I've procrastinated. So I do a lot of digging in the bin. You ladies have some great ideas for this.
Me too! I have one bin for my non SU scaps and another for SU. I like the page protector idea for the SU colors though. I'm not as expert on the SU colors as some and if I don't have labels I sometimes forget which color it is, especially since I have some of the older retired colors in there as well.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 08:53 AM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinagriffView Post
I was recently overrun by my paper scraps too. I went through them all and tossed everything that was smaller than half of an 8.5 by 11 sheet of paper. That filled up one large trash bag. The rest are in hanging file folders in a milk crate with tabs labeled - yellow, green, blue, etc. I organize them by color families.
This was the best thing I had done in my craft room in a long time. I've been stamping for over 10 years and had saved every scrap! Now I'm off to a fresh start. I haven't regretted tossing all of those scraps one bit.
Dina
Wow, that's a pretty big size to throw away. I guess because I use a lot of my smaller pieces as faux ribbons and to punch for embellishments, I keep very little pieces too. But nothing smaller than what I can punch with my window punch, so you can see that I keep tiny pieces too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM   #57  
Glitter Guru

I use binders too, they are super easy to use and maintain and don't take up a lot of space. They are great to have on the table when your not really sure what colors you want to use. Have fun organizing.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Scraps:  I'm being overrun!  Help!!-dsc00762.jpg   Paper Scraps:  I'm being overrun!  Help!!-dsc00761.jpg  

~~Kate~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 10:42 AM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyklpView Post
I have all the SU! colors in hanging file folders and I put all the scraps for each color at the front of the full sheets.
I do this too, but put the scraps in a page protector (with a full-sized sheet in the back to keep it 'stiff') Unless I'm making the card base, I am able to find what I need in my scraps more often than not. It's nice too, because I can pull out the page protector and put any extra scraps right back in. I have yet to figure out the best system for my patterned paper though...I'm just starting to use that more on my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #59  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All my Scraps are kept in a Plastic Shoebox... Sorted on Sizes.

I have been trying use up all my scraps before I start on any New Pattern Paper.

So far it has worked!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #60  
Kookie Creator

Default I share your pain!

I was just about to post something asking for help with my bigger scraps! I have a system for the smaller scraps....I use an accordion file case (kind of like a big coupon holder thing) for my small scraps and sort them by color. This has worked well for my small scraps, but how do you store 12x12 strips that have already been cut? ALso, can someone tell me what LSS is? I think it is scrapbook store, but I want to be sure!
Thanks for the help:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I cut into a piece of cardstock I immediately cut down the left over paper into the biggest size I can get: either 1/2 sheet or 1/4 sheet. I have two baskets that hold these, standing on their edge, sorted roughly by color of the rainbow, with white and cream first and then black at the back. These baskets sit shelves beside my craft table.

Any scraps smaller than 1/4 sheet (which are big enough to be actually useful) I put into file folders that hang beside my table. Again I sort them by - white, cream, colors of rainbow, and black.

Any time I need a piece of paper I look in the appropriate sized area. If there's not a piece for me to use, I then look in the next biggest basket, and finally will get out a full size sheet of paper to cut.

This method has really helped me to use up my scraps of paper and also makes it really easy when I want a 1/2 sheet or 1/4 sheet of cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #62  
Inking Addict

I also store my scraps in pint-sized ziplock bags. I keep each bag on top of its corresponding color card-stock, stored flat. I use paper shelves for this and group according to RR, SS, etc. I also write the NAME of the color on each bag and glue a SAMPLE of the CS on each. (A small square punch makes getting a sample of each color easy). This way, I don't have to guess which color belongs in which bag. I've found that it is sooo easy to put the scraps back in the right bag and then place it back with its correct color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 02:04 AM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilmaldonadoView Post
I was just about to post something asking for help with my bigger scraps! I have a system for the smaller scraps....I use an accordion file case (kind of like a big coupon holder thing) for my small scraps and sort them by color. This has worked well for my small scraps, but how do you store 12x12 strips that have already been cut? ALso, can someone tell me what LSS is? I think it is scrapbook store, but I want to be sure!
Thanks for the help:cool:
LSS = local scrapbook/stamp store.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 04:42 AM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

I use a mail sorter thing for all my SU paper--3 colors to a slot. I keep the scraps in a ziplock baggie in the same slot. Here is a picture of my paper storage:
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Scraps:  I'm being overrun!  Help!!-imgp0379.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2007, 06:23 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapmoView Post
I bought a set of inexpensive 8x11 page protectors from an office supply store, (100 for $5). I write the color on it with a sharpie and store it with my big paper. For my SU Patterned paper I leave it in the plastic and slit open the top, I put my scraps back in there.

It works well, if I need a piece of celery I only have to check one spot, and the sleeve holds even small scraps, so I can keep as many as I have room for, but they don't accumulate as quickly because they are so organized I use them.
That is EXACTLY what I do . . . right down to the sharpie! lol! For my SU patterned paper, I store each themed pack into a 12x12 plastic folder from CM. The official name for it is 12-inch DecoFile Folders. The best part . . . it has an extra smaller folder in the front to store all the scraps from that pack. It works wonderfully.
Reply With Quote Likes