Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can so relate... earlier this year I did an inventory of all my paypal purchases and visa purchases ( I live in an area devoid of much lol and do most of my shopping online) and the grand total was sickening. Literally. In a year how can anyone spend so much? I do make a ton of cards and use my supplies but no one needs as many stamps and digi images as I have lol. Even if I made dozens of cards a month I could go years without a repeat lol. For me my overspending on craft supplies was just a new flavor for an old problem.... and I am working on that. Another major financial drain was image and prodict and cards and kits swaps here.. I would spend over 25 a week on postage alone! that had to stop. I put my family in a lot of debt trying to do it all. I am getting better one day at a time! I am now much more selective about what I do participate in and try to keep track of what I spend. Just keeping a running tab has been eye-opening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by pollybearView Post
Having a box on the way is the high for me, which is why I love shopping online so much more than in a store!

I have a rule that before I can buy a new item I have to GIVE AWAY (not sell) another item in my craft room. I have donated to teachers, to friends, to friends' children, etc. It makes me feel good and keeps me from buying too much. One item in means one item of equal value must leave the craft room.
I am the same way.. having mail to look forward to is really fun! thats why i got into swaps and all but that adds up too. my tendency is to over-purge and then replace
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:26 PM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

My new motto: Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #44  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Good for you, Linda! I'm very close to this myself but don't yet feel the total commitment. Gotta keep the blog interesting, don't I? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Wink Stamp 2 Spend Challenge

As an SU demo that wasn't meeting the minimums, I found it really easy to collect 'stuff' just so that i would meet those darn minimums... It was really pricy, and meant a lot of things that I didn't really 'need'... I was this way for a while, until I combined finances with my SO (Now DH, back then was my BF). He made me realize how rediculous I was being. I actually stepped away from crafting completely for a few years, as I felt I needed the 'breathing room'. I got back into it last about 18 months ago, and soon after I found the 'Stamp - To - Spend' Thread on this site. It really helped me a lot with my spending.

You can find the link HERE

It's a really useful tool, and there's even a spreadsheet on there that you can use to track your 'income'. The basic concept is that you 'earn' spending money based on what you make with your stash. It helps take a bite out of that stash, and helps you to be honest with what you're making. I like the concept a lot, and i know that it has helped me A LOT!!!!

Try this for a bit, and see if you can find some sort of system that works for you! You might be surprised!

Hope this helps, it's helped lots of others!

Hugs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

I am a fairly new stamper so perhaps I see this from a different vantage point.
I think another thing affecting over spending is this stuff is "very" expensive.

How much do you think a set of nesties costs based on the materials used, the manufacturing cost, the packaging and shipping? They are made in China! Yet, even with a HL 40% off coupon they are $16 a set ! CB folders are just a piece of plastic that has been moulded, and the packaging and the best price for those is $2.99.

Most of this stuff is made in China for pennies.
I never thought I would see the day when "one" piece of paper was $1 or more.
I just bought a package of replacement blades for my Fiskars paper trimmer. The plastic used is the size of a quarter and the metal used is equivalent to about a dozen sewing pins. The regular price was $5.99 for two. Even with a 40% off coupon they are $1.80 each!

So even to buy the basics a person can easily over spend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #47  
Kookie Creator

I totally know what you mean. I have recently felt the same way, the guilt and all. I too have so much unopened items I have bought, that I thought I NEEDED to only find out I did not really need it at all.
Here's where it gets good though, I am making it up to myself..
#1 I challenged myself not to buy 1 single thing until I have used every stamps & product I own in some way. I tell you I have been keeping busy and the fun of this hobby is coming back.

#2 Stay off online stores. If I get an e-mail about a sale or new release, I delete it before even reading it. That include passing up the physical locations too.

#3 to help with the creative side and use only what I have on hand, I have been searching the gallery for things made using only the stamps I already own.

I hope you feel better, and once you put your things to use you won't feel so guilty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I like making lists of projects/cards/gifts to be made. That way, I alwyas have a reason to use my things! And I am really good about limiting my spending. I have plenty so I only buy when I really need something...glue, new papers...a new set of nesties. Just window show, even if it is online. It can be fun. Just knowt hat you have a set of hearts already or a cute halloween set or enough ribbon to get you through Christmas...and you'll be fine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #49  
Kookie Creator

I'm right there with you all! I have so much stuff and it's overwhelming to even begin to use any of it sometimes. Our LSS has a used stamp sale every year and it's coming up in May so I have been going through my stuff and getting lots of it ready. I have decided that I am not buying one more stamp, piece of paper, roll of ribbon, or set of die cuts for 3 months. Period. I am going to get out my huge stash of paper, ribbon and schtuff! and make some cards for Operation Write Home, post them on my blog, and maybe open an Etsy shop to earn some of this money back. There's just no sense in having so much, at least for me.

The blogs are what gets me started. I use the Google Reader and every morning for an hour or more I am sitting right here...browsing. PTI is awesome but, quite honestly, I have stamps that will work just as well for a lot of their - and anyone else's - card designs. It's so tempting to order new stuff every month and I'm just not going to give in.

We do need to support the vendors and stores if they are to stay afloat, but I think I've done my part for a while.

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

For me, it got to the point where my demo asked me "Are you buying to use, or buying to collect?" I had to admit, I was collecting. Fast forward a couple of years, and now I only buy what I KNOW I will use - and for more than just one card too. I bought some punches last night and that's my first purchase in a very long time.

It helps that I'm saving money for an upcoming visit from my sister and her family. I know I'll be paying for most everything, so that helps me when I think I "have to have something".......do I really need this? Is it worth coming out of my savings? That purchase could mean one less thing I can do with my nephews, so I'm really scrutinizing now what I buy and how I can use what I do have in a different way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

I have a separate blog in which I am trying to work thru some spending issues ... in case you are interested. I am determined to use my stash more instead of buying new stuff ...I wrote a post today on how to better "see" my paper.

http://embellishmentsforthespirit.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #52  
Mad Swapper

We've all been there. My only suggestion is to make an effort to use your current stash before purging a lot of stuff. Instead of getting rid of it, box it up (in several boxes if need be) so that it is not a distraction. Then as you use your current stash, reward yourself with a shopping spree of the stuff in the boxes. I've heard too many gals talk about pitching stuff they wish they hadn't. Once your productivity increases, you will want a lot of that stuff back to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

My biggest fear is that I get hit by a bus one day and that my family and friends have the unpleasant task of clearing out my (very well organized but overly stocked) hobby room as I make my way to those pearly gates!!!

OMG - they will surely think I was a NUT when the see the amount of beautiful ribbon and paper I've accumulated over the years. ;)

To help curve my spending sprees, I have stopped looking at the Sunday coupon section and just pretty much stay away from the craft stores as much as possible. I have enough product to last for quite some time - so no treasure hunting for me for a while!

One of the guidelines I use though is that I MUST keep things organized and I try to keep my supplies out on display... if it's stashed away... I can't see it and it is soon forgotten. Luckily I still enjoy working on projects but still have a hard time using the really "special" stuff that I think is too pretty to use - I'm hoping to overcome this last "hang up" of mine so that when I do make my way to those pearly gates, I don't need to worry that I will be "found out" and that I will simply be remembered as the crafty girl who gave family and friends wonderfully handcrafted goodies! ;)

I guess we are all just a bit nutty when it comes shopping for supplies - but hey... as long as you know your financial limits, it can't be that bad!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #54  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh my gosh! Such a wonderful posts and my neck is a bit sore from nodding in agreement with so many statements here. Such refreshing honesty! I have significantly reduced my spending and in the process feel great about the purchases I do make. I keep a calendar notebook by my computer (my biggest enabler When I see sneak peeks or the latest/greatest and the excitement grows...I write down what I will order...NEXT MONTH. Anything and everything. Then when next month arrives I look at my list. Usually, I can cross off half of the items. The remaining items I think long and hard about ( another two weeks) and see if there is anything in my current stash which I could use instead or to duplicate a "look". Looking at my January calendar...there is only one item not crossed off. I have carried it forward and may still order, but I don't have to, yet. Secondly, I will not allow myself to spend unless I have made something first. Third, clean out your stash. I moved some of my lesser used stamp sets into the storage room into a "sale" box. When I get bored and think I need new stamps, I go "shopping" in my sale box. It's like finding new toys you forgot you had! The sets that don't get get pulled at all in a few months, I will indeed sell. I hope someone out there is inspired to start a blog challenge to use what we have in new and creative ways with the end goal being feeling good without any spending at all. Totally rebellious here, as most "designers" design and promote for a company and are all promoting said company. Which I understand and respect. I just want to be an equal opportunity crafter (any company, any product no matter how dated) using the supplies I have on hand. Know what I mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh me too. Lately I've been buying a lot. I think it started in November when I had a miscarriage. I got really depressed and just went NUTS buying stuff.

I'm feeling less depressed now. (pregnant again, 10 weeks) And the stuff is still rolling in. (bought a good bit of preorder stuff)

I used to get something and make a bunch of projects with it before it even got put away. Now I have stuff that I have not even opened. That is SO not normal for me.

And it's all good stuff. Cool, quality, hot now stuff. I did just pack up a whole priority mail box and send it to a friend. I had fun, wrapped it all pretty, it was all brand new so I felt good about making a cheer up gift out of it.

I don't know. Stuff is just not as exciting as it used to be. Don't knwo if it's my style changing, or I just have so much that I'm experiencing diminishing returns, or if I feel guilty because I know I only bought it to fill a hole that had nothing to do with crafts.

I'm not buying anything for a while. Well sorta, I'm in a kit club. But otherwise I'm not buying anything crafty for a while. I also went on a fingernail polish glut so I need to cut back on that too.

What I NEED to buy is a few books of stamps and make and send cards to all the people who love and support me. THAT would be uplifting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandepuceView Post
My biggest fear is that I get hit by a bus one day and that my family and friends have the unpleasant task of clearing out my (very well organized but overly stocked) hobby room as I make my way to those pearly gates!!!

OMG - they will surely think I was a NUT when the see the amount of beautiful ribbon and paper I've accumulated over the years. ;)
This is EXACTLY how I feel too!!!! I am buried in stuff and don't use much of it, but I'm reorganizing my room to get better access to stuff to hopefully use it all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Erin K said
Quote:

I don't know. Stuff is just not as exciting as it used to be. Don't knwo if it's my style changing, or I just have so much that I'm experiencing diminishing returns, or if I feel guilty because I know I only bought it to fill a hole that had nothing to do with crafts.
These are insightful comments. And it is probably all of the above.
Buying too many new things in a short period of time may be some of the the problem.

If someone gives us " one" piece of homemade fudge we take tiny bites to make it last and savor each bite. If someone gives us a box full of homemade fudge it is still as good, but we don't eat tiny bits and probably don't savor it as much.

Maybe we are experiencing "Less is More"
Getting just one new thing in a month would be like getting one piece of homemade fudge. It would be more special
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:11 AM   #58  
Inking Addict

How ironic that this thread is on the Weekly Inkling this week.I have been experiencing this same syndrome for the past couple of months.For me, I think my spending has been because I have not been able to do much crafting in the last couple of years. My husband and I have been doing renovations on our home and it seems to be taking forever. Every time we get close to having my craft room done, something gets in the way. The latest was having three family members move in with us because of unforseen circumstances. Don't get me wrong, I love that we could help them out, but it really put our renovations behind schedule by almost a year. I really miss crafting. It is my stress reliever and my "need to get away from everything" go to activity. I think I have been "collecting" supplies as a replacement for the act of crafting. Now, I have so many supplies that it will take me a very long time to use them all up. I keep telling myself that I will stop, but, if I am truly honest with you, it is not that easy. The worst thing for me is the darn internet. It is so easy and so readily available...escpecially on those nights when I can't sleep, nothing to read and TV sucks!!!!! I need to have a real chat with myself and give my will power a gigantic kick in the ***.

Wow, I can't believe I just admitted that I have a problem. I am a craft-supply-aholic. They say admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery. Now, what's the next????? Well, thanks for listening everyone. Hope this helps others to know that they are not alone. I think deep down we are all "aholics" of one type or another. So come on everyone...take the first step with me....;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #59  
Cardstock Collector

Red face Thank you...

...for starting this dialog. It helped me realize I wasn't the only one with this guilty pleasure. When I moved this past December and saw the tons of boxes filled with all my paper and craft supplies I was shocked. I knew I could never use it all in my lifetime and was beginning to think I was becoming a hoarder!! How guilty I felt and still feel.

In January I stopped going to the craft stores....but that only lasted 2 weeks. Just as most of my New Year's resolutions do. I'm now back in the stores with my coupons in hand. I don't purchase paper anymore...that's a start isn't it???? But once I get those 50% coupons in my little hand, off to the stores I go. Like another blogger stated - I too have no other vices but still it's not right. I lack the willpower to quit. I didn't read all the blogs but does anyone have any advice on how to slowly quit the spending? It would be appreciated.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Maybe, just maybe,I won't use that 50% coupon that's burning a hole in my pocket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #60  
khn
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, you are not the only one! I went through a phase like that a few years ago after moving to a new town. I didn't know too many people, so I spent my time in stores splurging on every bargain bin & dollar store! I became an SU demo, and started to meet more people. I realized things were out of control, so I started focussing on SU! products. I cleaned out supplies I wasn't using, sold some in a garage sale, gave some to my friend's little girls, & donated some to the after school program at my son's school. I still have an awful lot, but I have definitely put limits on myself, and am actually getting better at using what I have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:30 AM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

one of the most helpful books I have read in awhile is To buy or not to buy: why we overshop and how to stop

http://www.amazon.ca/Buy-Not-Why-Ove.../dp/159030599X

I only got thru the first chapter or so because I had it from library and had to return it but I will be buying a copy soon. It was so eye-opening and not just about shopping either... even if you don't think you have a big problem its a good read.

Being sorta isolated where I live (my family is in US and I am in Canada) and not having many friends or support system I tend to shop to fill a void...not having kids (due to life cirumstances and then a hysterectomy for medical reasons) and being mid 40's and feeling alone hasn't helped. My dh is supportive and encourages me to work thru the issues etc, but more and more I see women everywhere from all backgrounds and so on getting caught up in lots of shopping/spending on craft suupplies.... I bet if truth was told, the amount of debt incurred is unreal... (not saying this as a judgement of anywone but just an observation) and in my case it wasn't that I was just spending my alloted budgeted amount on craft supplies which is perfectly fine but I was going way over into charging things and incurring more debt... so thats my ramble for this morning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 AM   #62  
Inking Addict

What is it about coupons? I too seem to have to use them when they arrive in my hands. Those big numbers "50%" screams at me that I will save money by using it. However, that really is some sort of twisted logic, isn't it? I mean, I would save 100% if I didn't use the coupon at all. In the last couple of weeks, when the Michael's flyer arrives with its wonderful % off coupons, I have very quickly sent it to the recycle bin "without" clipping the coupons. For me, if I don't clip them and put them in my wallet, then I don't seem to have that dire need to "save" money. This is working for me for now. Maybe this would work for others?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:06 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I was always a "neat-knick" until I got involved in this hobby! I have a dedicated room in our new home that was designed especially for my crafting. Everything had a place so it was easy to keep neat. Well, that was then, this is now. I have overflowed into another room and this one....even when picked up....doesn't look neat because stuff is EVERYWHERE. I started tossing coupons and staying out of the stores, but that doesn't stop me from making huge SU purchases. Also, I'm in love with the new fabric flowers so now I have a whole NEW bunch of supplies.....and nowhere to keep them! ARGGGG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:26 AM   #64  
Inking Addict

Carla, I am sorry to hear that you feel alone. It is not easy when your family is so far away. I also live in Canada. Not sure where you are, but if we are closem maybe we could get together, or if not, I am only an email away. If you would like to "meet" a new friend, please send me a pm.

I checked out that book you mentioned, and it really looks interesting. I am going to see if I can get it in a local book store. Thanks for mentioning it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Very interesting ready ladies! I would love for people to post links to schools or organizations that would appreciate donations of used but usable crafting supplies. I, for one, would be happy to sent them stuff that I bought and didn't use a lot, or items that I used a lot and am tired of, so others could continue to enjoy them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

There's another great thread here at SCS called Stamp 2 Spend. It's helped me to curb spending by keeping track of how much I spend compared to what I actually use.

I "pay" myself for the projects I make, challenges I complete etc. Then that becomes my allowance to "spend" when I go craft shopping. Kelly has soome great challenges posted there too to encourage us to use our stash!

Of course, because I got a Cricut this year for Christmas, I've gone over my "budget" to purchase supplies so I'n im the red right now - LOL! Oh well - I just gotta get busy using my stuff.
Happy crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #67  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow I read all of your posts and relate to all of you. I retired almost 7 years ago and planned on traveling, instead Mom had a heart attack and came to live with me. I discovered stamping about a year before I retired and went crazy spending to get it all. I have tons of machines, cardstock (12 bins) my basement has cabinets on 2 walls floor to cleaning and their stuffed, turn around and you have 3 tubs on the floor filled with stuff, a dear friend re-designed my stamp room when I was recovering from surgery and it was beautiful except for the one tub on the floor filled with DSP, now its 3 tubs and I love to shop. I probably have 200 SU stamp sets and TAC, Whipper Snapper, you name it. I've given tons away to the schools here, tried to sell some but don't have alot of luck selling sets. Then I got involved with OWH or Operation Write Home for the soldiers. I made over 300 cards for them last year and this year I committed to at least 500 but I've been doing 50-100 a month and digging out embellishment, ribbon etc trying so hard to use it up. I never will, one of the girls said she thought about if anything happened to her what would her family think, I can't imagine what my daughter would think. I want to donate another load of goodies to the school then try to sell some stuff but I will continue to make cards because I love making cards. Somedays I make 10 cards other days I get on a roll and make 20 most days I may make 2. I'm 64 in 7 days and need to get this under control. How many times have you bought something that you already have? I've done that with Spellbinders and you know their not cheap, I thank each and everyone of you for spilling it and confessing. I know now I'm not alone and I feel better but hope by admitting it I can get this together.
God Bless you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #68  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Very uplifting/honest thread. I can identify with what Erin K said. I think there are times I shop/collect to fill a hole. That's when its important to really take a close look at what else is going on in life. Lately I've been doing that by using a journal. I have never done that before but it has turned out to be very helpful.

Another thing that causes me to spend more and craft less (!!) has been the great access to fun craft blogs. I love, love, love waking up with a cup of coffee and my google reader open. However, the downside has been that I feel like i have to have the latest and greatest to even qualify to post my creations on my own blog or in a gallery. That is so wrong!! I got into stamping because it brought me so much joy but now I sometimes find myself looking at my work and wondering if its "blog worthy" or if it is using enough new supplies. I began to comparing myself too much to the rest of the crafters out there. So, I got in the habit of buying new stuff and crafting less. :( Can anyone else identify with this?

To break this habit I did what I've seen some other posters do. I began to limit myself to a monthly budget (cause I do like new shiny things ) and also limit myself to one company. For me that became PTI. Their style suits me well and I know the things I buy will work well together. It has made me more aware of what I really like and use. Less is really good.

Thanks for listening to my little confession.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #69  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks for sharing this thread! I can so totally relate. After spending $150 during my own SU! Sale-a-bration party and another $50 at a friend's SU! party and then another $50 at the end of Sale-a-bration (not to mention the little incidentals that come up!) I have been feeling overwhelmed with new stuff! It's all good and I'm still glad I have it - but I need to stop for a while!

Here are some things I do that might help you, too:

1) I keep a running "email list" of things I want, mostly SU!. I email it to myself, then when I buy something or want something, I revise the email and re-email it to myself. Sometimes when things sit in this email list for a while, I end up deleting them. A good thing. It also helps when a friend has a party - I don't impulse buy, I buy from this list.

2) I tend to shop for certain things during annual sales. I stock up on SU! cardstock, etc. during Sale-a-bration. I buy patterned paper during my LSS's annual Nickle Dickle Day Sale. I do random shopping during my LSS's annual garage sale. There are others, too. I tend to look forward to these and save up $$ in the inbetween times.

3) I sell unwanted items at my LSS's annual garage sale. Each year, I make myself go through my stuff and come up with a boxfull. I've also donated to ministries that make cards or provide crafting groups as a means of outreach.

4) I sell some of my work/craft services. This is the $$ I use to go shopping. If I don't have any of that $$ left, I need to sell some of my work before I can shop again. I only spend other $$ under special circumstances.

5) I have a couple newbie baskets. The new toys I get go in these baskets so they are 'in my face' so I remember to play with them! It is fun to look in the baskets for inspiration.

6) I have designated spots for each type of item. If that spot is full, something has to go before something new can be purchased. I'm a pro organizer, so can usually find room - but this is still a good way to curb purchases.

7) I belong to 2 stamping circles. We each bring everything needed for everyone to make our card - and then share and play together for a few hours. I've found this often cures my NEED to buy a certain stamp set, since now I've already had fun with it. Or it may confirm my 'need' to have a certain thing - making it a more beneficial purchase in the future.

Be encouraged - you are not alone! We can all work on simplifying together.
CLO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
#2 Stay off online stores. If I get an e-mail about a sale or new release, I delete it before even reading it. That include passing up the physical locations too.
I agree with you here. I do not shop in online stores or in the regular stores. I can't tell you the last time I was in AC Moore. Also, I do not charge. If I don't have the cash, I don't buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #71  
Gallery Gazer

A friend and I were talking about just this thing the other day. I had come to the somewhat conclusion that when I don't have time to craft my creative outlet becomes shopping for creative things: new stamps, pretty paper (I need a special group for this addiction), on-line sales, ect.....

I saw where someone mentioned here the Stamp to Spend thread. That has helped me (as much as I can be helped! LOL!). Especially the spread sheet that someone came up with over there. That way I keep up with what I am buying and how much I am using my stash! I am usually in the red but at least I can see it to keep me honest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #72  
Glitter Queen

I was a "hoarder" so to speak. I scrapbook. If I used it I would't have it anymore...it took awhile to get over that notion. Paper comes and goes so fast that I had lots of "old" paper now. My LSS has a garage sale twice a year, although, we get in store credit not the cash. I procrastinate on getting my stuff together until the day we have to bring it in and I go thru my room pretty fast and can't give a second thought to what I am giving up. Works great otherwise I would debate about it and probably keep it in the end. Also, life changed for us and I just couldn't run to the LSS 3 or 4 times a week. It was hard at first not buying everything I liked. But after a couple of months it wasn't the most important thing in my life and now I am very selective in my purchases. I debated for some time whether I needed a Cuttlebug, then finally bought one on sale...THEN out comes a bigger better one from another company....it will always be that way. I'm not buying another machine and more folders after what I spent on the CB and folders. The newer bigger folders are twice the price. And stamping...I had to run out and catch up on the stamps that were used on this site but have made very few cards. The good thing is though, stamping has found it's way onto scrapbook pages in lots of ways beside just flowers. I don't think any store will go broke without me. Very few people see my work anymore. They wouldn't know if it was new or old paper or embellies or stamps. Same with cards. Whomever you are sending it to, would they know if the paper or stamp was new or old? I'm free now of having to have the latest greatest new thing and it feels good. My room looks better without all of the clutter. When I had so much stuff, yep, it affected my mojo because I had too many choice's and too many decision's and it was hard to get started. I spent a lot of time pulling everything together then my time was up because I had other things I had to do. It was just crazy. And yes, acquiring stuff was half the fun. I love shopping, but ask yourself, "Do I really need this or can I accomplish my goal with what I have?" I find myself reaching for pretty much the same inks, do I really need that color? I have plenty of flower stamps, do I need that flower stamp? If your answer is yes, then sell or give away what you already have and buy the new one. Rotation like that keeps your stash fresh. You can't believe what I have sold that I never used...such a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #73  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adalia DisaView Post
As an SU demo that wasn't meeting the minimums, I found it really easy to collect 'stuff' just so that i would meet those darn minimums... It was really pricy, and meant a lot of things that I didn't really 'need'... I was this way for a while, until I combined finances with my SO (Now DH, back then was my BF). He made me realize how rediculous I was being. I actually stepped away from crafting completely for a few years, as I felt I needed the 'breathing room'. I got back into it last about 18 months ago, and soon after I found the 'Stamp - To - Spend' Thread on this site. It really helped me a lot with my spending.

You can find the link HERE

It's a really useful tool, and there's even a spreadsheet on there that you can use to track your 'income'. The basic concept is that you 'earn' spending money based on what you make with your stash. It helps take a bite out of that stash, and helps you to be honest with what you're making. I like the concept a lot, and i know that it has helped me A LOT!!!!

Try this for a bit, and see if you can find some sort of system that works for you! You might be surprised!

Hope this helps, it's helped lots of others!

Hugs!
I found the Stamp 2 Spend Challenge this year and I feel like it has helped me curb my spending and use up my stash. It's been super helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #74  
Cardstock Collector

dear erin k., stay away from nail polish if you're pregnant. (tolulene:( ) good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I can relate! Feeling guilty about $ spent and unused supplies really does kill the mojo.

I've been having fun going thru some old magazines and giving things a try if I want and then giving the magazines away to clear out space. It's also helps me use up my stash of supplies.

Several people mentioned that not having the newest thing made them feel that their crafting was unworthy of posting. :( We could all help with this one by remembering to post comments for cards with great layouts, techniques, etc., not just the ones that are trendy or use the latest gadget. Something I'll try to remember as I check out all the lovely cards added everyday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrs.tomView Post
dear erin k., stay away from nail polish if you're pregnant. (tolulene:( ) good luck to you!
What a delightful excuse to NOT keep up with my nails for the next 6 months! Then to celebrate being able to again I should probably get them professionally done after the baby comes right?

Yup!

I want you all to know that before I ran errands today I HAD to get all my craft coupons. But I parked at Michaels and said, "What do I NEED today" couldn't come up with anything, so I didn't even go in!

Then I came home and made four cards with stuff I already have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #77  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Lisa,
I'ts almost like me writing your post. My best friend and I went on a spending spree that lasted two years but darling generious husbands do have a limit to their patients and my guilt in the end was overwelming. I have spent thousands in the past two years. My thing is stamps.
I've had to be very firm with myself and give myself pocket money. I work full time so that's still fairly generious.
I've taken myself off news letters so that I wont be tempted.
Every now and again I would buy a stamp that I already had so I decided to do an inventory and catalogue all my stamps. Boy what a shock nearly 5,000 stamps later I realized I had a problem.
I still have the problem but I'm aware of it now and every time I have the urge to spend spend spend I go make a card instead.
O and I don't beat myself up too much after all I deserve it and no one would wont to stiffle their creative urges.
Cheers
Marg
margscardcrazy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

all advice is wonderful and well received.
I only have two years crafting and have collected alot. But thankfully I do have a small stamping section and don't have room for alot, but if I did, I'd probably buy more stuff lol.

But I do try to use my supplies before buying and if hubby gives me extra money or I had extra cash from my paycheck than I'll go buy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
great motto ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I want you all to know that before I ran errands today I HAD to get all my craft coupons. But I parked at Michaels and said, "What do I NEED today" couldn't come up with anything, so I didn't even go in!

Then I came home and made four cards with stuff I already have!
Good for you Erin!!

This has been a wonderful thread to follow...you all have touched on something I've been feeling too! I think the "void" I fill is not enough time/working a job I am tired of (16 years) and would much rather be home creating! So as long as I am working, I "treat" myself to a new goodie or two ~ when I eventually have time, I'll have plenty of supplies to work with :-0!

My little blog: http://lynda-marquez.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes