Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overspending is getting me down

How to phrase this so that it comes across correctly --- Lately, I have been indulging myself and buying lots of stamping supplies. Ok, so you say, "good for you, you deserve it, have fun!" Well, I was for a while, but now, because I have so much stuff that most of it is sitting unused, I am losing my enthusiasm for this hobby.

After much thinking, I have come to realize that half the fun of stamping (for me) was acquiring the stuff and then using it right away. I know, I know, you think I'm crazy but the immediate gratification that I've been indulging in recently, doesn't seem to agree with me.

I've decided to put a moratorium on my stamp spending for now and just use all the stuff that I already have. Why am I telling you all this, I guess I just wanted to see if there is anyone else who thinks the way I do.

Thanks for 'listening'

Lisa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Yes, I do understand what you are saying. There's plenty of times that I have looked around and thought that the area around me looks like a crafting store and not a house!! That is often a good time to put a stop to the shopping for a while. Sometimes at that point I do one of a couple of things:

1) clean out my area and pull out the things that I am not using because either my tastes have changed over time, I enjoyed the items and won't use them anymore or I needed them for teaching a class, a particular project,.....those products I often share with a friend (s) or some crafting kiddos who I think would enjoy them. There's also crafting places who take them (charties)

2) instead of shopping, sit down and do up some specific crafting projects: make cards for gifts, mother's day,....

Half the time when I clean up, my room is practically like a store, I find something and start playing with that! How funny is that? I have more than enough to play with here in the house.

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------
http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

WoW! Thank you for starting this thread. I also feel exactly as you do sometimes :( I do not want to become greedy for "stampin' stuff". I do like the thrill of the hunt, when shopping at craft stores and online, and in the su catty. But, I work and have a huge family that requires lots of my time as well. I feel I don't give this fabulous hobby of mine enough production or play time. I like HolleyTX's pointers for redemption! Soooo, let' s turn our indulging into positive, fun productive and fullfilling action! Those feelings we do deserve

God and America, Family and Friends, Stampin' and Zumba....so much to be thankful for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I think I am addicted to getting a good deal! If I find something on sale, I have to buy it- or if I have coupon, I have to use it or it's like wasted savings! You are not alone! My craft room looks like a store too!
(This is my very first post since joining!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Oh my gosh, you are in good company. I think we all go through this phase of buying like crazy. There have been so many threads on SCS where you can see a buying frenzy happen - there are some lovely enablers on this site. And then I think a lot of us suddenly realize that we have A LOT of stuff and we are not using it. I went through this awhile ago. I was buying all sorts of stuff and then never used it. I finally realized that I did love the thrill of the hunt and the thrill of having the latest and greatest "thing" that everyone had to have. I really put a halt on my shopping. I will admit that I have not stopped completely, but by realizing what I was doing I was able to recognize when I was shopping for something I really wanted and when I was shopping for the thrill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have had that problem too, I have gotten better at just not going to the store when I don't need anything or going to the store and not getting anything if I really don't see anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been on the exact page as you for about a year now. As if us mothers don't have guilt trips enough!! But it is hard to break the cycle and I totally understand exactly what you mean. (((hugs))) and hopefully we can break the spending and use some of our supplies - I am trying
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I understand what you are saying, I have been buying alot of stuff lately and the other day as I received more parcels I realized that I haven't even used the things from the last time I went on a spending spree so I decided to group everything in like piles and I won't buy anything new until I get the supplies that I have on hand used up or at least 3/4 gone. The only exception will be CS and adhesive (which I shouldn't have to order for awhile as I just got a case of ATG tape). With all the new stuff that comes out each month at the online stores it can be hard to say no. Find ideas for using the items that you have and start making a few of each this way you can say that you are using them and have a stock pile of cards on hand for when you need something last minute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, I'm with you. Decided it time to use what I already have!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:01 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh how I love the hunt...ummmm buying I mean...We all have the get it in us, some of use more than others and I for one, love to shop, don't know when to stop and have far more than I will ever use and continue to buy more...

Why...It's the only thing I do...I don't drink, smoke, party, buy clothes, shoes or purses...We eat out once a week and I pay all the bills first, then savings and then pocket money...He has his, I have mine and how we spent it is no ones business but ours...

But, this is just my lot right now and that could change tomorrow in the economy and then I might be forced to use the things I have and I will!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:19 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Most of us feel that way from time to time. It's so easy to make impulse purchases with all the great enabler alerts posted here on SCS.

I have a bad habit of using stamps/paper to make a few projects then I tend to put them away and forget about them. I find it's good to go through my stuff and purge the excess at least once a year. Instead of selling the stuff for a fraction of what I paid, I decided this year to give the excess away to those places who I felt could make better use of it.

Recently I donated a bunch of stamps to Operation Write Home to use as prizes. I also sent 3 boxes of used stamps, ink pads and other supplies from my craft room to the schools on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation. It's one of the poorest school districts in the US and the teachers are always looking for stamps and paper supplies for the kids. By giving away the excess and helping the kids who have so little, I feel much better. Less clutter and now I have the extra storage space so I can get some new stuff when the next great sale is posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:38 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I too have enough stuff for a craft store Craftroom Organization & Storage. My problem seems to be that I get an idea in my head, I don't have what I need to make the card and I can't rest until I get it. It amazes me that there is still so much out there I don't have. My rule is that as long as I can find a place to put it, I can buy it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

So many people do this - or have done this. It does happen and it makes sense that it does. You participate in a forum with thousands of people who have the same passion as you do.

I was on a "collector" kick for about a year - I bought more than I needed, bought even more stuff before even using any of the things from the last spending spree and it took me quite a while to stop collecting and start using.

On the bright side, I have lots of nice stuff now but I'm being more selective as having too much stuff is just overwhelming. Plus, things tend to get a little "dated" if they're just sitting in a box or on a shelf or in a drawer...use it up and THEN go get some new stuff!

There are a couple of great threads in the "Mission Organization" section right now. One is on purging. A lot of the people following the thread - including me - have focused on cleaning out some of the clutter so we can spend more time creating. I gave away LOTS of things that I'll never use (older supplies) just this week and have been doing little blog giveaways with some of the smaller stuff all week.

I think some people (I'm one of them) just need to go through this and get it out of their system...as long as it's not to the detriment of your everyday life (i.e. you're not buying supplies instead of paying your mortgage/heat bill, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I used to feel that way. I did demo's and make & takes at many stamp stores and they all paid me in product, discounted product! It was great and bad at the same time. I love getting so much new stuff all the time, but I wasn't really using much of it. Now I find that it allowed me to build up on consumables. Now that those stores have all gone out of business & I moved & had to downsize, I really think through every new purchase. If I want something (other that adhesives and some other consumables that I need) I'll write it down. If I keep coming across that item, it gets put onto the must have page & sits there a while longer. Once it's there for a while, I'll let myself buy it. I'll tell you what, every new item I buy gets used! There is no guilt when I make a purchase. Of course I still make impulse purchases, but they are usually for great deals. This system really works for me. JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I so agree. Lately I've been looking around my room and thinking how much stuff I have! It does overwhelm me sometimes.
Recently I watched a video of someone showing their craft room. They showed every drawer, every, everything, all I thought was OMG she will NEVER in her life use all that stuff!! It was then I knew for sure I think alot of us just collect stuff because we have to have it, but we could never, ever use it all. I am trying not to buy to much these days. I have no more room.!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:09 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

I'm in the same boat as you all! I love to shop for more new stuff (getting those great deals on more stuff) but then I hardly ever use it!:( I sell and get rid of stuff on occassion and have finally told myself to just stop buying stuff and use what you have! I'm not working now, trying like mad to find a job so money is super tight, therefore I really can't buy new stuff if even I wanted to. I have gone many weeks with no mojo or desire to create simply because my space is rather small and my stuff is everywhere and it's hard to keep clean and tidy.

I have a friend that is a major stamping-shopping addict (her stamp/craft room is like going to Archivers) and when I'm at her house I often think to myself "geeze- when the heck is she ever going to have time to use all of this stuff?". Not that I want her stuff .....but she is just a typical example of "more is better- gotta have everything", but she doesn't seem to have the time to actually create much of anything.....so it just seems like such a total waste to me. Maybe she doesn't have any crafting mojo either as she is drowning in supplies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 06:13 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I think our society is going through a major shift in our philosophy. For the past 15 + years the mantra has been " We got to have it All"

Now the downturn in the economy has forced people ( not just stampers) to really look at all the stuff they have accumulated while trying to "get it all"

I have a friend who likes quilting. She has "a room full" of fabric . She could never use it all up if she quilted 24/7 for 3 lifetimes.
Another friend who has 9 sets (service for 12) of china . And ,at last count, over 50 beautiful hand made birdhouses That are displayed on shelves in the garage . god forbid she sees a bird house that she doesn't have LOL
People need walk in closets for their clothes.
People need entire rooms to store they stamping stuff.

We are looking at all of this stuff we have acquired and saying what were we thinking? Or were we thinking?

The good thing is that habits change when people realistically look at their situations.
My 2�
Barbara

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-31-2010 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have felt the same way as you. When I first started stamping, I didn't know what I need or what my style was. In fact, I have only recently - in the last several months - have come into what I feel is a comfortable style for me. So, I bought everything and anything I could get my grubby little hands on. I was swimming in supplies I didn't know how to use or that I didn't need or like.
I continued on that pattern for about a year - even after I lost my own job. Then, last summer, my DH lost his job and our family took serious stock in what is important to us. Made me feel a little silly for "wasting" so much money on what felt like crap (for lack of a better term). Since last summer, we've been living on unemployment and the occasional dip into our nest egg / life savings. It's been surprising how just a few lifestyle changes can really get you through tough times.

Don't get me wrong, I love stuff and still covet every new MFT, Unity, PTI, etc release but since that jolt of reality last summer, I've taken on a new lifestyle. Here's my tips when you think you're swimming in the "crap".

1. Purge. Take a look through your own gallery or your own work and really think about what you love. Think about what style stamps, paper, accessories and tools that you used the most on those loved pieces. Write it down and make a list (big fan of lists here), if it helps you. Then, box up what isn't on that list. You should be honest with yourself and dont be afraid. Next, close up the box but don't put it away or get rid of it. Spend a month or two stamping with the supplies you've saved and see what, if anything, from the box you really need or pull out. After that - and ONLY after that month or two trial period - you can start to really donate or sell your extra stuff.

2. I still go on spending binges, of course they're on a tiny budget but still...I love to shop and my area of choice is stamping stuff. But I sort of compartmentalize (wow, is that a word?) my shopping. For instance, I recently realized that I had some ribbon but not really the style of ribbon that I covet or would like to use. So I've spent a little here and a little there only buying ribbon. I made sure it was ribbon I was really attracted to and not just because it was on sale or cheap. I was doing that for about a month or so. Now I feel satisfied with the amount and kinds of ribbon that I have in my stash.

I've been evaluating my DP stock and decided that while I have a lot of DP, I don't love all of it and I made pile of the DP that I didn't absolutely love and it turns out that I don't have as much great DP as I thought. So, my next shopping project will be DP.

This way, you're still using your coupons, you're still taking advantage of the sales but you're really only buying things you actually NEED or really, really, really want instead of throwing money away on so much STUFF!

I'm sorry that I've written a novel but I honestly believe that these methods have gotten me through a difficult time in our life. If I would have restrained 100% from shopping, I would have been miserable. This method can apply to people who both have too much stuff and people who need to spend on a budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 07:50 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Boy do I know that feeling...one thing believe it or not that has helped is becoming an su demo....I'll actually walk into hl or michaels and not buy a thing..nothing!!....I am shocked!....I have alot of stuff but since it's narrowed down to su and I know everything will match I use all of it!....

Now, I do enjoy other stamp companies and copics and nesties...BUT, I just don't use them....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I realized early in this adventure as a new stamper that I had to maximize my budget and only buy things that were coordinated.

In the first few weeks I bought paper and ribbon when it was on sale at Michael's and HL only to find that nothing I bought matched. :( Therefore now nearly all of my DP and solid color CS is SU. I take little samples of my CS with me to the store when ribbon is on sale so I can match it. "IF" there is DP that will match the colors of my CS I will buy it . I can't afford to buy paper just because it is pretty if I don't have anything to go with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have been a crafter since I was a child. Come from a crafting family. I grew up having access too a large workroom and a two craft rooms.

My parents shopped at all the major craft stores per week. Brought home car loads of craft supplies per week. They would box all of this up until they needed it some day. My parents are the classic hoarders.

When my Father died my Mother had to scale way down to subsist. She has a studio apartment full of craft supplies.

When I moved out on my own I had a box of craft supplies. I would use my stash. I was into other things at the time like music, computers, studying.

I went through a horrible tragedy about four years ago. I still have trouble talking about it. My friends and family were worried about me so they got me back into crafting. I was spending an inordinate amount of time on my computer to "hide."

I liked paper crafting. I didn't know what I wanted to do. I joined a lot of Yahoo groups. I had the ladies teach me. So take somebody who is in the process of mourning, add that to some other setbacks and tell this person that they "NEED" all these items and what do you get? A lot of friggin craft supplies.

I thought I couldn't post my creations unless I used a Scor-Pal, 2 Cricut's, top of the line paper, etc.. I was even criticized when I didn't.

A year ago everything culminated when I got sick. I could barely craft, have a home full of craft supplies and I got fed up. I started a huge decluttering campaign and it helped take my mind off my illness. I left my groups and felt healthy again.

I have a beautiful craft room now. Oh, I am so proud of it. I go in there and feel inspired. I craft more now than I ever did. I still have a ton of supplies. Probably more than I will use in a lifetime. It's nice not to run out and buy paper or fabric. I only buy what is within my values and definitely my style.

I still would like to get rid of a lot of my tools. I am doing that slowly and smart. I don't buy tools any more. I make them. I make my own embellishments.

I am sorry this is so wordy. I am really glad you started this thread. I wish I noticed threads like this four years ago. I think a lot of girls/guys here will be happy to see this.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Boy, I can go right along with all of you! I have so much "Stuff" that I could start my own store!!!! And, the sad part is I keep buying and I'm losing my enthusiasm for making because I have no place to really put it anymore....

So, when I did my taxes, made my pile of receipts for what I spent on my hobby, and realized just how much money I was spending, and how few cards I really made this last year I decided something had to stop! I'm now going to start going through my place and purge on everything, including my stamping. I want to enjoy my passion again and reclaim my joy for what I loved. There used to be so much fun doing this and I want that back...... All those ideas are ready to be put to use again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 03:46 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

I always have to have the "new" stuff, then it looks pretty on my shelves or makes a nice mess on my stamping station. I'm getting better. When I watch the show, Hoarders, it makes me want to sort, give away, sell, and start using what I have. When we are surrounded we aren't always creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 04:02 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread! It's an important topic that comes up again and again...and it should. All of the comments above are thoughtful, intelligent, and helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am another one who has to have it !! However now i have to use up old stash before allowing myself anything "new" especially paper.xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 04:43 AM   #26  
Compulsive Stamper

Librarian...That is EXACTLY what I was thinking about when I watch "Hoarders"! It scares me to death sometimes when I watch the show then go into my art room. Also, it seems that some of the "hoarders" are really compulsive shoppers bringing home all the stuff until it becomes a "hoarding" house. My art room is neat and organized BUT is a 10x12 space that really should have another use ( its original use ) and I feel guilty about that. I would LOVE to limit all my supplies to an armoire, but cannot seem to do it, maybe it is a slow process like the one they do use on the "hoarders" show.
I feel like buying all the stuff is an obsessive - compulsive disorder. I KNOW I obsess about buying certain things and will even drive an hour away to track it down sometimes. I keep thinking to myself, " am I collecting more than having an actual art hobby?" and then yes, when does "collecting" turn into hoarding? I thought Dr. Phil should do a show about this for crafters! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:19 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've learned to recognize the reasons that make me spend impulsively -- when I am shopping just cause I'm bored or upset or love the idea of having a box on the way. Identifying the causes was the key for me in cutting down.

Also, I started to feel obligated to buy stamps designed, sold, or marketed by my internet stamping friends. Not obligated in a real way, but obligated in the sense that I love the stamps and really want my friends to succeed. No can do. Cannot have it all!

I also finally finally had to decide on one company's line of paper and ink and embellishments. This took me about a year! Each company's products had huge pros and cons but once I made the decision, it helped me declutter and focus some of my purchasing. I kept thinking that I had to have multiple lines of products so that I would always have the perfect item ready. No, not really!

I'm still not where I need to be in terms of cutting down my spending, but I spend far less than I used to. Having a kid in college, a sick Mom and a desire to retire will do that!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:25 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I think our society is going through a major shift in our philosophy. For the past 15 + years the mantra has been " We got to have it All"

Now the downturn in the economy has forced people ( not just stampers) to really look at all the stuff they have accumulated while trying to "get it all"

The good thing is that habits change when people realistically look at their situations.
My 2�
Barbara
Barbara, this is so true!

After ten plus years in this craft, I decided to step back about two years ago and start taking a hard line approach to my craft spending. I was becoming a collector, and not a user. It's easy to do (especially if you are a demo, like I was at the time). You see the newest shiny thing, and you just have to have it! The galleries and magazines and catalogs convince you that you have to have it!

The truth was that I did "have it all", but wasn't using what I had!

So I employed a few strategies.

1.) If you bring in something new, you have to get rid of something old. I managed to really cull my stamp collection this way. I sold a lot on Craigslist. This method keeps my craft studio from getting out of hand. (It also works for my clothes closet!)

2.) No repeat offenders! If I have a stamp or set with a certain image, I don't need a repeat of that image. The stamp companies do this all the time, trying to convince us that we need the "updated" version. No we don't!

3.) Don't buy what's popular, buy what you love. So many stamp sets have a short shelf life...they're trendy, and if I hopped on the trend wagon, I'd always regret it later on. After a few months, they'd sit and collect dust on my shelf.

4.) Limit your consumables. I used to buy lots of 12 by 12 paper packs that never got used. Now, I love to buy little Basic Grey and Cosmo Cricket 6 X 6 packs for only $5 or $6 bucks. A cheap splurge, and they really last a long time!

5.) Use what you have! No hoarding the pretties for another day. Today is the day to use that lovely crocheted flower!

6.) Don't buy it, make it work. For example, 7 Gyspies makes some really pretty paper embellishments, but I can make my own with stamps and ink and cardstock. And if I see a sample that has a lovely image, I can usually find a similar image and substitute for what I have.

I have really cut down on craft spending, and the truth is, I have more fun with it now than when I was just shopping and not creating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Default Great

Good ideas, thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Barbara, this is so true!

After ten plus years in this craft, I decided to step back about two years ago and start taking a hard line approach to my craft spending. I was becoming a collector, and not a user. It's easy to do (especially if you are a demo, like I was at the time). You see the newest shiny thing, and you just have to have it! The galleries and magazines and catalogs convince you that you have to have it!

The truth was that I did "have it all", but wasn't using what I had!

So I employed a few strategies.

1.) If you bring in something new, you have to get rid of something old. I managed to really cull my stamp collection this way. I sold a lot on Craigslist. This method keeps my craft studio from getting out of hand. (It also works for my clothes closet!)

2.) No repeat offenders! If I have a stamp or set with a certain image, I don't need a repeat of that image. The stamp companies do this all the time, trying to convince us that we need the "updated" version. No we don't!

3.) Don't buy what's popular, buy what you love. So many stamp sets have a short shelf life...they're trendy, and if I hopped on the trend wagon, I'd always regret it later on. After a few months, they'd sit and collect dust on my shelf.

4.) Limit your consumables. I used to buy lots of 12 by 12 paper packs that never got used. Now, I love to buy little Basic Grey and Cosmo Cricket 6 X 6 packs for only $5 or $6 bucks. A cheap splurge, and they really last a long time!

5.) Use what you have! No hoarding the pretties for another day. Today is the day to use that lovely crocheted flower!

6.) Don't buy it, make it work. For example, 7 Gyspies makes some really pretty paper embellishments, but I can make my own with stamps and ink and cardstock. And if I see a sample that has a lovely image, I can usually find a similar image and substitute for what I have.

I have really cut down on craft spending, and the truth is, I have more fun with it now than when I was just shopping and not creating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 06:13 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, the thrill of the hunt & spend!! I'm certainly guilty. I did really well for years. Then last year I started going overboard. I've cut back again. I think we all get sucked in!

I had a friend say about spending-we say, "oh, look, shiny things. Shiny things!" Isn't that the truth?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I've cut way back on my spending but recently indulged a bit. I don't feel guilty but I understand where you're coming from. I've not scrap booked in a long time but thought about it just today at work. I've been so busy otherwise, but I think I may get out that box of photos and just start scrapping again. I used to enjoy it so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Default Overspending is getting me down

I've been thinking the same thing recently. There is so much available online and I buy from a SU group as well.
It is the instant gratification but I tell myself that someday that will be something I will use but it gets buried and forgotten.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

One thing I did stop doing last year was using my Michael's and Joanne's coupons each week. I would go get something just because it was 40% off to save the money! Is that crazy???? That cut down on my buying, however I can be bad on the internet with crafts too.

With these good suggestions though, I think it will be much easier to stop and purge......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

I was just thinking the same thing!! I have been on a spending spree for 3 months, getting things I have been wanting for the past year. Copics, nesties,stamps. I have told my self. STOP!! No more spending until the new Stamping up Catalog comes out this summer.. And to be very careful of what I get. I have been stamping for 2 years and I really do not own a lot, but it is enough for me, all I own fits into a little corner, with book shelf and a few drawers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

<sigh> I fear I'm guilty of this as well. I love to shop. Always have; always will. I think I inherited it. My dad's favorite thing to do is to hit garage sales, thrify stores, car lots, malls, you name it. He thinks if something is on sale for 1/2 price, that means you buy two! LOL~ Really.

Thanks to a generous hubster, I have a really nice sized room that is full of great, cool, neat, nifty, colorful stuff. More than I can use in a lifetime. Hundreds of stamp sets, upwards of a 1000 yards of ribbon (yes that is a thousand), rainbows of inks and cardstock, multiple die cutting machines, drawers of embellishments, brads, glitter, embossing powder, punches, you name it, I likely have it.

But I think all of this makes me LESS creative. It's my goal to take out 3 new stamp sets a week and USE them. Cut into the DSP that I've been saving, chunk up cardstock with abandon, use all the embellishments that I want without saving them for the "right" project, in other words enjoy what I have.

I've given my kids pretty much free reign with my stash and it's really nice to see how excited they get when they make Daddy/Grandma/Auntie/whomever a card or project. Now I need to do the same for myself.

I've also been purging and plan to continue that with a vengence. There has to be someone in my area that can use all this stuff. Now I just gotta find them. I think my church has a cardmaking ministry. Maybe I'll donate to them.

Now to find a way to put the brakes on the buying. I fear that will be much harder for me. :oops: Although I am narrowing down my focus to just a few companies and limiting impulse buys as well. Baby steps, baby steps.....I'll get there eventually.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIRed2View Post
I was just thinking the same thing!! I have been on a spending spree for 3 months, getting things I have been wanting for the past year. Copics, nesties,stamps. I have told my self. STOP!! No more spending until the new Stamping up Catalog comes out this summer.. And to be very careful of what I get. I have been stamping for 2 years and I really do not own a lot, but it is enough for me, all I own fits into a little corner, with book shelf and a few drawers.

All I own fits into a small space too, and I finally have enough to make just about any card I want. I'd like some copics. I only have one set of nesties and would like a few more. I have all the ink/paper/dp/ribbon/stamp sets (about 100 sets) that I need. I'd like some more SU dies. My area is teeny-tiny, but I have plenty to create with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me TOO!! I have spent so darn much in the last 10 yrs, my craft room is stuffed! DH calls i a serious fire hazard! and he's right. I really need to purge but am not ready to. I started with Cm and now last 3 yrs its been SU.
I love the co-ordinated supplies much better but am on pension so really need to limit my spending. Wanting to craft and doing it are two totally different things though.
Do I need a big shot? I have the Sizzix, lots of dies. I am stocked up on CS, not to fussy on DSP. I have envies! I have the old decorative scissors and do use them.- occasionally. Guess I just need to sit down and craft!! LOL
Thanks for this thread, I expect there are a lot of us in the same boat here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Mary Rose, you had some great advice, and what you said was so true for me too, "I was becoming a collector, and not a user". Recently I went through my craft room and found MANY unopened packages of embellishments because in my mind it is "just too pretty to use" or I would be sad to use it and then it is gone??? Such a strange mentality and it only applies to my crafting items - I am VERY organized and thrifty in other areas of my life... I am going to seriously try to apply the strategy of using my hoard of supplies before buying new stuff. We need to keep each other accountable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #39  
Glitter Guru

Yep, I am in the same boat. I keep thinking "use your stuff and quit saving the paper for a special thing". What in the world am I saving it for? And I work full time so my crafting time is limited! I am actually going back and redoing my sons scrapbooks more in my style now so I know I will use up some of my supplies doing that but its pretty ridiculous all the stuff I have and the thousands of dollars I have spent getting it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

diitodittodittodittoditto
for all the above and then some!!
I'm drowning in stuff.
I'm going to use my stuff that I haveI'm going to use my stuff that I haveI'm going to use.......
Reply With Quote Likes