Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Default OH MY! Do people REALLY pay this?

I freely admit that I am not the best at checking my stamping email. I have an email account that I use exclusively for daily blog posts from people who post. Some are excellent. Some are so-so. Some I need to delete, I think. But I checked those emails this morning and one blog/blogs is selling a day long virtual stamping event for $129. REALLY? $129???? I see you get what is called a "swag bag" but you get no choice what is in it. So it might be things you already have or things you don't want. Then you can be in a monthly "group" for what sounded like $40 a month for some card videos.
This is amazing to me! Do people really pay this? I am just amazed. To make it more amazing, the cards I see are really simple. Like REALLY simple.
Have you ever paid for this kind of thing? I have gone to some stamping events but they sure didn't cost $129 and I felt I got my money's worth.
Note: I am especially fond of blogs who post a new card every day, often with measurements. I also like you tube videos that are FREE and usually full of ideas.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 03:10 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I pay for day-long events like that and they've been worth every penny to me. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at all of them. The projects are not really the reason I attend these events - it's to be with other stampers. Stampin' Bingo, retreats, Stampin' Spectaculars.....I love them all! The little surprises, games, prizes, community, and laughs make them a blast.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

I can maybe see that. But this is an online thing. Completely online. Maybe I am just cheap.

In my scrapbooking days, I used to go to a "crop" one Friday night a month. It had all the things you list but it was $10. I actually won the door prize once, which was a Creative Moments Scrapbook, green with a Christmas theme. I still have it!

I have gone to a couple cardmaking gatherings. They were held in a local hotel so I assume the demonstrator had to pay to rent the room. The snacks were great and a meal was included. They usually lasted for the day, like 9-4, and I am sure I never paid more than $50.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

VeronaSue, you are welcome to come sit next to me in the Cheapskate corner.

A couple days ago, I was looking for an online Copic coloring class. I came across "classes" that range from free to more than $150. I can't imagine paying more than $30 (tops) for a virtual "class" that is nothing more than a long YouTube tutorial.

Now, if the so-called class was in real life and it allowed me the opportunity to meet, watch and socialize with other crafters, then I would pay more -- especially if it was a true class where I could ask questions and get help in area where I struggle. Years ago, I would occasionally splurge on a scrapbooking weekend getaway but that was not a class. It was more like a mommy slumber party where we crafted in our jammies, ate like gluttons and laughed so hard we'd nearly pee our pants.

BTW, my all-time favorite YouTube crafter is Vicky Papannaou (Clips & Cuts). I love watching her videos. So, when I saw that she had a class on Craftsy for $29.99, I jumped on it. What a disappointment. In the video, Vicky seemed stiff (not her usual home workshop) and the things she taught were the exact things I learned from her free YouTube series. For me, it was a waste of $30.

I would still like to take a Copics coloring class -- more over time -- but I don't know how to choose one over the other, especially for someone like me who is not artistically inclined. Is it really worth it to pay $100 or more for a class? If I take another "cheap" $30 or less class, will I again feel it was a waste of money?

I'm just going to go over to the Cheapskate Corner and mull it over for a few more days. As I said, you are welcome to join me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, just wanted to add that I came across something for sale on Altenew.com. Mystery bags! While I love most of their stuff and own only a couple things, I still can't see paying $50, $100,$200 or more for a grab bag of stuff that I may or may not like. But it's obviously pretty popular.

Maybe instead of admitting how CHEAP we are, perhaps we should call ourselves practical, frugal, financially responsible. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You might want to look at Sandy Allnock's Copic jumpstart. 35 dollars, 6 hours of instruction-there is a nearly hour free pre-class that will show you what materials you need-and it would probably tell you if you like Sandy's voice and manner.

https://art-classes.com/product/copic-jumpstart/

She has a bunch of mini classes for copics down the road that are like 15 bucks that focus on specific things like rain or something.

the other thing about online classes vs live is you have them forever and not just the one live day.

But you are getting a real artist teaching you. Depends on what you want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2021, 11:06 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
You might want to look at Sandy Allnock's Copic jumpstart. 35 dollars, 6 hours of instruction-there is a nearly hour free pre-class that will show you what materials you need-and it would probably tell you if you like Sandy's voice and manner.
Thank you for the link! That class looks like it will be well worth the $35.
What I especially appreciate is that I can get a peek into what she plans to teach. I have an idea of what I'm paying for up front -- instead of plunking down my money, fingers crossed, hoping the class will touch on techniques and info I want/need to learn.
I plan to sign up for the class later this week!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 03:22 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

This past weekend I participated in a Virtual Retreat with Kindred Stamps. It was four classes (a shaker card, a slim line card, an album, and a light up card.) The box that we received had a stamp set, two die sets, a stencil, 6x6 designer paper, some 6x6 card stock, some glitter embossing powder, the lights for the light up card, a sweet snack and a cleaning cloth. Participants had to provide the rest of the items needed to complete the projects. All the classes included coloring techniques using either Copics or Spectrum Noir markers. The cost was $125 and worth every penny to me, even though I'm not big on album making.

This coming Saturday, I'm participating in my second Shop & Show Live event. Basically it's a virtual convention with product presentations and special sales for viewers. The event is free. If you want to be in the prize drawings, you have to sign up by 2/24 ( https://www.eventbrite.com/e/shop-sh...Rxfu_Gqj_FP-u0 ) There were a limited amount of make and take boxes that sold for $99. The organizers did a reveal for this event so that you could see what you were getting for your $99. I have my box and the contents are totally worth the $99 and I'm looking forward to another day of stamping.

The event you're talking about sounds like basically an online crop. I'd have to say, for $129, "Show me what's in the swag bag and it better be worth it." or I'd be sitting in the cheap seats with you. BUT in this day and age with all the Covid limitations, some people need that connection with the outside world and will pay it. Many people are isolated, some of them were isolated even before Covid due to their health/mobility issues. It also may give people an "excuse" to get alone time from family members/housemates. Don't bother me this weekend, I'm doing an online thing.

Margot, thanks for the link! I'll definitely have to check it out. It became very apparent this weekend that I need to brush up on my Copic skills.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 05:25 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

$129??? That is out of my budget. If I spent that for a stamping event, I would not be able to buy products for at least 2 months. And its a virtual event at that?
I can usually look at a card and determine how it is made and duplicate it so instructions are not usually necessary. I have also found that most stamping events are not of my taste or style. Thus I end up with items of which I have no use. Making treat bags are a big part of the events of which I don't have a need.
I suppose these types of events are big money makers for the host, but I usually find these are a big money waster for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 05:37 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm cheap too as I would never pay that much! I have paid $20 for Kristina Werner's online events and learned a ton.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Melissa59, I once bought a "mystery box" from a SU demonstrator who promoted the heck out of it on her Facebook Live. Said it contained over $100 worth of product. Well, it might have been $100 worth of product TEN+ years ago. It was all OLD, OLD stuff. Even smelled old. I threw the whole box of stuff away. Lesson learned.
I wonder if that is why you can't see that "valuable" swag bag in advance of the $129 event. Maybe it is all OLD stuff. SMH.
Back to the cheap seats for me now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Forgot to add....... and I had to pay about $12-$14 to have that box of junk shipped to me.

I feel like a fool even admitting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

VeronaSue, we have ALL made mistakes that we are embarrassed about. The important thing is to learn from the mistakes. And it does sound like you learned from yours.

Just so you know, I find it helpful to have others admit that sometimes a bargain is not always what it's cracked up to be. Sure, some may love everything in a product line and the box they get will make them happy. Others might mark the stuff as "retired and rare" and sell it on eBay at an inflated price. But you sound like me, you know what you like and you'd rather pay for that one item than take a gamble on a blind purchase.

@Cheermom, thanks for the Kristina Werner tip. I think I need to start making notes of which classes people are truly happy with, especially if they are affordable.

@Regina, I think there are more people who feel isolated these days than we know about. Eight or ten years ago, I used to meet up with a group of scrapbook friends. Then there were life changes -- no income, health issues and now the pandemic. It has been more than two years since I had any social interaction with someone other than family. I think it was the isolation that led me back to SCS and papercrafting.

I just put a bunch of comfy chairs in the Cheap Corner. There's plenty of room for all who wish to join!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Last-minute thought . . .
I do plan to sign up for Sandy Allnock's Copic jumpstart class in the very near future. I'll be working through it slowly, just because slow is how I operate these days.

I'd like to encourage whoever signs up first to create a thread on this site so that we can come together to talk about what we've learned, what we struggle with, etc. We can make it our own virtual after-class meeting place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 06:15 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I guess I am a cheapie too!

I don’t mind paying a lot for something that is giving me extra instruction or products that I see beforehand. But, I do think there are a lot of classes out there that are way overpriced. I have taken a few of the classes from Online Card Classes that J. Maguire and K. Werner run. They were great but also affordable. I took a watercolor class about 7 years ago that was a little pricey and I was nervous but it ended up being wonderful. I guess it can be a gamble if you cannot get real reviews or if it’s new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

You are welcome Melissa. I have not taken the class bc I don't have copics and I am not a colorer per se. But I have followed her since her Operation Write Home days and she also does a lot of free tutorials in her daily blogs...I find her to be very down to earth. Also a big dog person for thems who like that.

I have heard a lot of good reviews by good colorists for Kit and Clowder but you have to be able to do downloads. I dont know how much those are.

I can appreciate people paying a little more right now with the pandemic to keep connected. And I know the best teachers are doing a lot of thinking and prepping before they design their class. But for 100 bucks a person could take several classes.

Sounds to me like Regina has her finger on the pulse!

People might want to consider zooming with their card pals. The basic zoom program is free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2021, 04:56 PM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeronaSueView Post
I can maybe see that. But this is an online thing. Completely online. Maybe I am just cheap.

In my scrapbooking days, I used to go to a "crop" one Friday night a month. It had all the things you list but it was $10. I actually won the door prize once, which was a Creative Moments Scrapbook, green with a Christmas theme. I still have it!

I have gone to a couple cardmaking gatherings. They were held in a local hotel so I assume the demonstrator had to pay to rent the room. The snacks were great and a meal was included. They usually lasted for the day, like 9-4, and I am sure I never paid more than $50.
Not wanting to pay certain amounts for certain events is not necessarily being cheap. People have different budgets, different goals, different interests, etc.

The events were online that I paid for. I loved them! It's just fun to anticipate something along with other like-minded people. I don't participate in the events in order to learn something new, so goofing off, playing games, stamping together, being silly....that's why I sign up. The online stuff is great for me because I love being at home and using Zoom and Facebook for these events is the perfect amount of socialization for me.

Last edited by cnsteele; 02-24-2021 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

There is so many fun, beautiful tutorials on youtube that I won't pay for any class. Not cheap, just appreciative of any who post free tutorials. If I find a new (new to me) youtuber, I subscribe for a month. If I love their stuff, I stay subscribed. If not, I unsub. A month is usually enough time to see if I love them. And I NEVER give a thumbs down because even if I don't care for something, someone else may love it, and they took the time to share with us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Oh, just wanted to add that I came across something for sale on Altenew.com. Mystery bags! While I love most of their stuff and own only a couple things, I still can't see paying $50, $100,$200 or more for a grab bag of stuff that I may or may not like. But it's obviously pretty popular.

Maybe instead of admitting how CHEAP we are, perhaps we should call ourselves practical, frugal, financially responsible. :-)
Ugh, mystery bags were my downfall when I first really got into stamping. I bought grab bags of unmounted stamps on two different websites and ended up with lots of stamps that i would never use. On the positive side, it made me stretch a bit, and got me into making ATC's for a while. Most of the images were not something I could send my elderly aunt or more conventional friends as birthday cards, but it was fun swapping ATCs with like-minded crafters. I was also lucky enough to meet someone online who lived within an hour of my house, who had a lot of unmounted stamps, and enjoyed trading them. She got stamps she liked from me, and I got more usable stamps for myself from her.
Now I wouldn't buy mystery bags, but that's because I have more of a sense of what I like. When I started, I couldn't resist a bargain and ended up with a ton of products that I never used. That goes for patterned papers too. Lesson learned.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2021, 10:09 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 866 Posts
Default Hello

Kathy, I would not spend that much for a class either. I love the Kit and Clowder classes, will look into Sandy A- her work is beautiful!
I do not usually like grab bags, but the Unity grab bags I have gotten have always had good 'stuff' in them, and they do not break the bank either.
I just took a Marjie Kemper Art Journal class- it was a week long and only $10.00 online.........

I am very visual, so like to watch You Tube, but try to limit time there. Yes, I love Vicki P as well : )

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

wavejumper, I believe the downloads for Kit and Clowder are free. Look on Power Poppy website as usually she gives the downloads for the Kit and Clowder class. I have never taken one mostly because I really do not have the patience to sit in a lot of coloring classes, but the posts on the Power Poppy blog done by the coloring artists look great. I learn a lot from blogs.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think you could be right Lisa-I only mention it bc some people may not be able to do downloads.

One of the colorists for Power Poppy has been our Cheryl (Cherylquilts) She is really amazing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

She has a bunch of mini classes for copics down the road that are like 15 bucks that focus on specific things like rain or something.

the other thing about online classes vs live is you have them forever and not just the one live day.

But you are getting a real artist teaching you. Depends on what you want.

i have not had the opportunity to take one of these classes,but I have always wanted to do so!! Love her artwork!
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2021, 10:28 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
VeronaSue, we have ALL made mistakes that we are embarrassed about. The important thing is to learn from the mistakes. And it does sound like you learned from yours.

Just so you know, I find it helpful to have others admit that sometimes a bargain is not always what it's cracked up to be. Sure, some may love everything in a product line and the box they get will make them happy. Others might mark the stuff as "retired and rare" and sell it on eBay at an inflated price. But you sound like me, you know what you like and you'd rather pay for that one item than take a gamble on a blind purchase.

@Cheermom, thanks for the Kristina Werner tip. I think I need to start making notes of which classes people are truly happy with, especially if they are affordable.

@Regina, I think there are more people who feel isolated these days than we know about. Eight or ten years ago, I used to meet up with a group of scrapbook friends. Then there were life changes -- no income, health issues and now the pandemic. It has been more than two years since I had any social interaction with someone other than family. I think it was the isolation that led me back to SCS and papercrafting.

I just put a bunch of comfy chairs in the Cheap Corner. There's plenty of room for all who wish to join!

HI!!!🙋🏻‍♀️ You and me both in the comfy chairs!! 🤣
jennik
Reply With Quote Likes