Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile No Place to Scrap - suggestions needed

I moved in August and do not have an extra room anymore to do my crafting. I could create a nook in my basement but the problem is that I have SO much stuff and trying to organizing things is hard. I hate wanting to craft and not being able to find things and work comfortably.

I would love to hear from others who don't have the luxury of a craft room.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I currently stamp in my basement. My late husband made me a table using a large piece of ply-wood. I love how long it is and how I can spread out. I stamp under a canoe believe it or not suspended about (it was his and I can't bear to part with it....so it stays and adds character to my space..) I do plan to move upstairs in a few months now that I have extra room. Another thing I did before I had the basement space was used the dining room table to work.. I would put together a box of what I was working on and bring it to the dining room and work, and then pack it away before I turned it..This way it wasn't "out". I think a space in the basement that is yours will make you happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, before I had a room, I had a 8' wide bedroom closet! I cut a piece of counter top to fit on top of 2 file cabinets and put up some shelves on either side and things in front against the back wall...
Attached Thumbnails
No Place to Scrap - suggestions needed-reds-rubber-room-222.jpg   No Place to Scrap - suggestions needed-reds-rubber-room-211.jpg   No Place to Scrap - suggestions needed-reds-rubber-room-221.jpg  

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I do not have an extra room so I took a hall closet and with some organizers, and good shelving I made my own craft room. It may be small, but it is very functional. Best part I can close the door on the mess when it is not in use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I would take a section of wall and get those wall shelving systems: shelves, pullout baskets, and a small desk. Rubbermaid has some nice ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

If you can convert a closet, you will be amazed what you can fit in a small, organized space. My friend converted a spare bedroom closet using an Ikea Expedit unit. Her husband made her a desk that is on hinges that attaches to the Expedit so that she can put it down and close the closet doors. I recently added a desk to my Expedit bookshelf and can't believe I didn't do it sooner, I love it! The only issue I have is I lose my bone folder because it is the same color as my desk, lol.

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Wow, Karen, that closet is fantastic! I need you to come to my house and help me organize my stuff!

Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Please come organize my whole house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

I bought a wardrobe closet and had all my stuff organized in there so that I could easily take it out when I wanted to work on whatever, now that I have a whole room...Holy Cow has my "stuff" grown!! My wardrobe closet would never work now.:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have always had a room to stamp in so I really don't have any suggestions. Unless you live near by...come and stamp at my place.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I use my dining room table. DH loves that the table gets used often and not just for company. I have a decorative metal CD stand that I have metal DVD cases for all my stamps. No one would know what's in them unless I tell them. All my card stock is on a single shelf in the entrance way closet, very close by. I then took out one shelf of my pantry (also right near the table) and put in an Ikea 6 drawer unit which holds all my bits and bobs. The big shot and paper cutter are also in the pantry. It works for me. The biggest problem is that if I leave anything out, the house looks cluttered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I'm moving to smaller place too and I'm going to stamp in the dining room. My sideboard will hold stamping supplies, and my dishes will be in the bedroom closet! I only host family dinners a couple of times a year anyways. I'm so happy to come up from the cold dark basement and stamp in the living room/dining room where I can enjoy the large screen TV, fireplace, stereo, and big windows. Divorce has its benefits!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:36 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I love my scrapbox and it's the perfect solution if you do not have a stamping space. Here's the link to a video on The Original Scrapbox's website:

The Workbox 3D Movie

and here are a few of my photos:
My Scrapbox by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Scrapbox Opened by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
My Stampin' Supplies by LaLatty - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #14  

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
Well, before I had a room, I had a 8' wide bedroom closet! I cut a piece of counter top to fit on top of 2 file cabinets and put up some shelves on either side and things in front against the back wall...
What an ingenious use of space!! A friend of mine once used a door placed over two filing cabinets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #15  

Received 802 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I love my scrapbox and it's the perfect solution if you do not have a stamping space. Here's the link to a video on The Original Scrapbox's website:

The Workbox 3D Movie
Wow! I've never seen a scrapbox before. It is truely amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before I had a room for my stuff, I had to do all my scrapbooking and crafts on the dining room table. It was ok at first, since I didn't have a lot of stuff and it all fit on a shelf in my bookcase. Then it grew and I bought an armoir to house all my stuff. I still use the armoir in my room to store all my stuff (plus a couple bookcases, plus secretary desk & drawers, plus... that stuff seems to breed while I'm sleeping).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like to do my crafting in the room where I have all my things. Crazy, I know. I hear so much about people wanting to have a "dedicated craft room" or studio where they can be alone to be creative.

I actually have a spare bedroom where I could set up and make cards. I keep all my supplies in there, in wall to wall bookshelves, and in a six drawer chest. There is a couch in the room, and if I have an overnight guest, they get to sleep there and look at my crafty stuff.

I don't like being isolated in a separate room of the house. I have a game-type table and chairs in the main living area of my open floor plan house. When I get ready to make things, I go in the bedroom, gather up what I need, and bring it out to the table. I'm close to the kitchen (important), and close to the cable news on TV which I have on most days.

My sweet hubby is retired and hangs out in our bedroom with the big screen a lot. He wanders by frequently on the way to the kitchen, always looks at what I'm making,and tells me how great it looks. (He is well-trained after 45 years, lol.)

Occasionally I leave things out on the table for a day or two, but usually carry everything back to the room and put it up when I'm through with my projects.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 04-03-2012 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a small area in our basement. I'm slowly getting rid of things. So it will function better for me.

I have old Computer desk to stamp on and hold other items. Both of them were free!

I have a built in bench top. a peg board and cork board. and I have two small window's.

It's not much but it works well for me.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I had my own space. I had everything just so, everything where I could reach it, and shelves and drawers and tables and a desk...

It is upstairs though. I loved being able to go up to my space and create. I had a little tv that I asked for for my Birthday.

Then we adopted our little boy from Ukraine. He has to be supervised 150% of the time or he is into things, or out the door, or playing in the bathroom... Going up to my area got to be impossible because no one would keep eyes on Timothy. So... I migrated. I have my stuff in the dining room. It started with just not putting things away after a crop. Then I got a big wardrobe (cabinet) and moved more things down here. A little at a time, all of my necessities have found there way down to the dining room. I just bought a big dresser last weekend so I could put thing away a little better since I was tired of all of the stuff just piled on top of a little table. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

I live in a small apartment but have boatloads of craft stuff and no spare room, so I really sypathize. I sectioned of a 6'x6' section of my bedroom and 1 closet, bought 3 almost floor to ceiling bookcases with extra shelves, a cd shelf unit, a bunch of sterlite drawer units,wall shelves and decorative boxes that fit in the bookcases. By using all the vertical wall space I could, I have managed to create a nice little craft space. The extra shelves and the drawer units helped me maximize the space in the bookcases. I used someones idea here on splitcoast to use my favorite DP to line the front of the drawers and used matching colors for all the other storage boxes so it all looks cohesive and pleasing.I also realized that I didn't need to store all of my supplies in the same area, so I put small amounts of everything I could in the drawers and boxes and the remaining in labeled bins in the closet, yup even my DP. That minimized the space used in my actual craft area. when I run out of whatever item I just go to the closet to restock.ooh, I also have a small table that fit 4 iris carts underneath. I roll 2 out when I'm crafting and roll them back in when I'm done. Plus I have 2 under the bed bins with wheels and shoe organizers on the 2 doors of my room.

This has helped me immensely, unfortunately I still keep buying stuff:rolleyes: so my stash keeps growing. My current project is (shudder) purging. Oh, I hope I make it through this

Sorry:oops: Using my limited space creatively has helped me so much that I made this post a lot longer than I intended, I hope it helps in some way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Deanna and Karla! I am a bit OCD so everything has to have a place and be in it!

If I could, I would travel from pace to place redoing scrap room and homes! I love to organize!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 808 Likes on 529 Posts

I'm like Christine - I stamp at my dining room table.

I have a bookcase in there where I keep some things. I keep most of my stuff in our garage and just go out there when I need something else.

I enjoy crafting at the table while Food Network is on the TV. DS always wanders through to get a kiss from Mommy :p

I keep my ongoing projects in 12 x 12 plastic scrapbook containers so I can just close them up and stack them in the bookcase when I want to put things away on the table.

DH even said last night that he was glad our table just used a lot and doesn't just sit there waiting for fancy family dinners:p Gosh, I love that man!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have never had a designated area but like many on here, I have a converted closet. Mine is in an unfinished spare room in the basement. I LOVE it! It keeps all my stuff contained.

I have a picture posted in my gallery with a description, but here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
No Place to Scrap - suggestions needed-converted_closet_workspace_by_raquelita_uno.jpg  

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes