Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New catalog reviews??

For those of you who have already seen the new SU catalog - What do you think about it?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

I absolutely love it!! There are so many new stamp sets I want that it's hard to narrow down what I want on my first order! A variety of styles, GREAT new Designer Series paper, some SU-exclusive dies to use in the Big Shot (including a CUPCAKE one!), corduroy buttons, new ribbons, just lots of cool stuff! Be watching the Gallery and you should be able to see some samples by the end of this week for those impatient people who need to EXPEDITE their first-new-catty orders!!! <g>
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have it, and it's nice, but I guess I had my expectations too high. I only like 3, maybe 4 of the new sets. I do love a lot of the paper.. mostly Raspberry Tart. The new accessories don't wow me at all. I'm not disappointed though-- that just means I'll have more money to spend elsewhere, and who knows.. maybe even save some. (yeah... well it sounded good--lol ).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with MikiBee ... its nice, but it doesnt WOW me ... and I dont love ANY of the hostess sets ... there are a few that are "okay", but none that are must-haves for me. I do feel a little disappointed ... but that's okay ... more money for other things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Yeah, I don't like any of the Hostess sets at all. I also don't like anything in the Sale-a-bration catalog. That' a bummer because I'm in a hostess club and my month is March. There is really nothing I want! I like the Raspberry Tart DP, Buzzin By and Thoughts and Prayers set, and another set I can't think of off-hand, but that's about it. Guess I'll stock up on cardstock and re-inkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I agree about the Sale-a-bration catalogue too ... I think I will get the Congratulations set, but it is only "ok" in my opinion. The rest of them do NOTHING for me. That is disappointing when I dont have to figure out how to spend tons of money to get all those free sets ... !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I am a hobby demo (probably not for much longer), and I have been increasingly disappointed with SU's 'new' stamps. I am not drawn to their style as I once was. I agree with previous posters about the hostess and SAB sets-nothing I want even if it's free. There are only 2 sets in the new catty that I must have.

There are a few new accessories I like-the crocheted flowers for one, but I don't think I would use them.

So I guess I will have to keep buying the DP! I love some of the new papers they came out with, and I can never have enough DP!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine yesterday. I am pretty impressed with the variety of stamp sets they offer (compared to the last couple of catalogs). I love their new accessories. I don't like the hostess sets.
That said, I have been branching out a lot on stamps, so I won't be getting any sets probably, but if this catalog came out a couple of years ago I probably would want a lot of sets. I will be getting lots of accessories and papers though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am there with you. I felt like I was looking at an old catalogue instead of a new one. I did like a few of the hostess sets but mostly level 2 and 3... I will be getting quite a few accessories and such but I am not in a big hurry for most of the stamp sets.

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I am not wowed. I found the few new embellishments right away, but most of them are a bit too pricey imo. Also, it didn't "feel" like there were really that many new stamps sets. I was impressed that many of the new sets were something different, but I was not interested by most of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I got mine today at my demo's reitred sale and project day. It is great! There were some very cute and funny sets, which I love, and there's a tree wheel that is a must have!

I only flipped through it there, but I know I'm going to be perusing it many times in the upcoming week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Smile

I didn't want to like the new catty, but - over all I am impressed with the new catty - with all the new accessories, papers, dies and several different sets this time I already have my workshop (2/7/09) order ready to roll - $300.00!!! As far as the celebration sets from what I remember seeing a sneak peek from my demo - I will end up earning them all plus extras........I will keep what I want and give the others away or try and trade them - I love several of the hostess sets too - much better sets than last catty! I even have another wish list to order in a couple months!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

I found several stamp sets that I want to get- the bee set is too cute! I also like the new eyelet border punch and will be getting that as well. I have my wish list made out and now just need to figure out what to order first .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I like it much better than the last one over all. I marked several new sets and still some from the old catty that I haven't bought yet. 5th Avenue Floral is going to be on my first order for sure. I also like a lot of the dp packages. Most of the embellishments I can skip. They are pretty pricey (especially the crocheted flowers - cute as they are) and I have plenty of embellishments already in my stash to use up before I can justify more.

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Couple of new sets and wheels are going on my "buy" list. Only one hostess set at level two --- but just about everyone is my stamp group wants the same one. Decided we will take turns ordering our big shots so we can all get the same one at our turn at hostessing ... The salebration catty left me cold ... nothing at all I want from that. Glad to see the 1/4" grosgrain ribbon back in most of the colors again. Wish they would bring back the organdy ribbon. The wider ribbons are just too bulky for cards. This will be the catty that I fill out my paper and ink selections.

Bettye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I also was not overly impressed with the new cat. There are a couple of nice stamp sets but nothing that really threw me over the top :( i was so excited to see it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

I think my demo will be pleased with how much I found that I want from the new catty. I don't have to like everything, just enough to keep her in business!
I'm sure as we all see more samples (like those we see for other companies on the Design Teams) there will be more and more enthusiasm. There are lots with great potential!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here's my review (it's on my blog with some pics):

It is nicely organized and beautifully photographed. There are several lines with coordinating stamps, papers, etc. -- Manhattan (my personal fave), Retro Fresh, and Sweet Bella.

1. There are far fewer background stamps than there used to be. There are no new ones.

2. There is a darling 3 stamp set called Card Games, which consists of a Jack, King and Queen. Different, fun and $19.95. Even if you aren't into card games, the sentiments on the stamps are great -- You Make Me Laugh (the Jack), King for a Day (great for masculine cards!), and Queen of Everything. This is quite clever! I really appreciate it when a company makes something that isn't similar to many other brands. A+

3. Gorgeous set of 3 flowers and one stem -- Fifth Avenue Floral ($24.95). If you like to color, these are simple (but elegant) open designs. In addition, the card in the catalog shows them uncolored and is fabulous. This is part of the Manhattan theme. I believe the page may have fallen open on this set when I was taking pics of my computer room. A+

4. Trendy Trees -- set of 8 smaller stamps ($17.95) -- 3 tree trunks or branches and 3 "leaves" and 2 sentiments. There is also a coordinating small wheel Funky Forest for $6.50. Very cute. This is part of the Retro Fresh collection, which includes some cute bird sets. B+

5. Thoughts and Prayers -- A lovely set of 8 stamps suitable for get well, sympathy. 6 sentiments, a beautiful solid tree and a spray of modern looking flourish of leaves and flowers. This would be a great set EXCEPT it is double mounted and I don't do double mounted. $25.95 B-, or if you don't mind double mounted, A.

6. New set of papers called Taste of Textiles that looks great. 10 sheets of 12 x 12 for $9.95. Like the name says, they are textured and include a fabulous looking vellum with Not Quite Navy polka dots, a Black Linen texture and others. Also part of the Manhattan theme. A

7. Jumbo Brads -- 5/16" and 5/8" -- 32 of one size (8 each of chocolate chip, vanilla, white, and silver) $7.95 and $6.95 respectively. B+

8. 3 new punches -- eyelet scallop border, heart and 3 smaller hearts. I love punches! Don't need these, but they are cute. A

9. There is a Simply Sent Card set called Thanks x 2 Card Elements and More. It consists of absolutely stunning pre printed die cute and embossed cards, 4 (double mounted -- ugh) small stamps that are ok, nothing special, a stampin spot, some ribbon and some envelopes. It is $24.95. Seriously, the set doesn't grab me but the 2 kinds of pre cut cards are amazing. I have no idea if I would buy this, but if I needed a professional looking set of semi handmade cards, this would be a must buy. A

10. There are some "embosslits dies" -- they cut and emboss really cute flowers. They are $11.95 each and since they cut through cardstock, they look good. And, there is an absolutely beautiful Textured Impressions Die that coordinates with the Fifth Avenue set (see #3 above). This is coming in March. It is $7.95 and I think it is like a Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, but I'm not sure. A

11. Finally, Font of You -- very cute set of 6 stamps ($24.95) -- cup of coffee, umbrella, vase, 3 sentiments all done up in a tiny font pattern. B+

Ok, there is tons more that I like and tons more that isn't my taste. I barely looked at the papers -- the 4 day weekend coming up will give me lots of time to study!

I read somewhere that SU will be releasing its own version of digital scrapbooking. I would love to do some hybrid projects and am very much looking forward to checking out what they have to offer. No word on when it will be available.

I wish more companies had old fashioned catalogs -- so much fun to curl up and devour, instead of clicking on a screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I think the new catty is beautiful. If I were a new stamper I'd be overwhelmed with "must haves". As a seasoned stamper with too much already (did I say that?), there are still sets I'd like to have that are different. I can't wait to see the ideas on SCS--I always see ideas I'd never come up with. I've bought sets I didn't think I wanted based on samples here. I think SU did a wonderful job with variety. There are sets for everyone's taste. I love the idea of a "man" set for thank yous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

No review because I still haven't gotten my catty! Called my demo, she's still waiting, too!:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Joan---agreed. The 'Card Game' set is clever!

Overall, nothing is a 'MUST HAVE' for me. I've been purchasing their stuff for 10+ years and most of the 'new sets' are repeats of older sets I have already.

I'm ALWAYS looking for more 'men's card sets' and nothing jumped off the pages there for me.

As ususal, I think they focus TOO much on flowers...........I love flowers, but have many, and am won't buy any more. So any flower set I went right by in the catty (which is most of them).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I wasn't wowed by any of the stamp sets. There were only two that I might order, Playful Petals and Just Buzzin' By. I did like the designer papers and will probably order a lot of those. Other than that, I was not impressed with any of the Saleabration sets. No incentive to order a lot for that promotion. the hostess sets were pretty bland. It seems to me that some of the sentiments in the new sets are repeats from older sets. A lot of the stuff looks like stuff in catalogs past. It just didn't seem like there was anything that was really new or different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hundreds of SU! sets, so only one set really called out to me...A Kind Word. The little girls are so cute! There were a few others, but I could live without them.
Some of the sets that might have interested me were way too expensive. I would have bought them if they were offered as UM at a lower price.
I wasn't too impressed with the Hostess sets, so I'll probably be getting the DP pack when I have my get-together later this month.
I have to get another Color Caddy....I've been buying all the In Colors and need storage for them. I hope they've improved the design, but it works well if you buy a lazy Susan to put it on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love it! Yes, there weren't a ton of stamps that I felt I had to have, but that's okay. MOre money to spend on all the gorgeous paper, new ribbons, buttons, brads (can you say chocolate chip and white brads-FINALLY!!!). Love all the new options for the bigshot (textured plates!!!). The samples are so fun to look at, and I can't wait to CASE! Hostess sets are okay, but there is always the paper pack (can't ever have too much paper) and as for SAB I just like to get free stuff. I am so excited about the ribbon and paper options. I am really excited!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

I like the new catty- I was in need of some new funky flowers and I also get each dog set. I didn't particularly care for the last catty but I think this one is fun- the new DPs are GREAT!

Alison
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was also disappointed in the catalog. I saw one set I have to have but that was it. I am not a DSP user and the embellishments and ribbon are fairly expensive. I did not see a hostess set I had to have or anything in the SAB brochure that I was excited about. To me most of the catalog looked like everything I already own from SU.
Margaret
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

where did you see the SAB brochure?? do you mean the hostess sets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Default thanks gals!

Thanks for all the input ladies. My Demo won't have my catalog until sometime next week. I've caught some glimpses on SCS, can't wait to see more. I get a lot of inspiration from Splitcoast. I have a feeling the DP will be draining my funds (oh well.... you only live once). I agree w/many of you - enough flowers already!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love it too! There are quite a few sets that are on my *must have* list, but most of all, I am in LOVE with the new DSP, the new accessories, some of the dies...sigh...
So yes, I LOVE it!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for taking the time to give such an excellent review. This certainly helps me.!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
here's my review (it's on my blog with some pics):

It is nicely organized and beautifully photographed. There are several lines with coordinating stamps, papers, etc. -- Manhattan (my personal fave), Retro Fresh, and Sweet Bella.

1. There are far fewer background stamps than there used to be. There are no new ones.

2. There is a darling 3 stamp set called Card Games, which consists of a Jack, King and Queen. Different, fun and $19.95. Even if you aren't into card games, the sentiments on the stamps are great -- You Make Me Laugh (the Jack), King for a Day (great for masculine cards!), and Queen of Everything. This is quite clever! I really appreciate it when a company makes something that isn't similar to many other brands. A+

3. Gorgeous set of 3 flowers and one stem -- Fifth Avenue Floral ($24.95). If you like to color, these are simple (but elegant) open designs. In addition, the card in the catalog shows them uncolored and is fabulous. This is part of the Manhattan theme. I believe the page may have fallen open on this set when I was taking pics of my computer room. A+

4. Trendy Trees -- set of 8 smaller stamps ($17.95) -- 3 tree trunks or branches and 3 "leaves" and 2 sentiments. There is also a coordinating small wheel Funky Forest for $6.50. Very cute. This is part of the Retro Fresh collection, which includes some cute bird sets. B+

5. Thoughts and Prayers -- A lovely set of 8 stamps suitable for get well, sympathy. 6 sentiments, a beautiful solid tree and a spray of modern looking flourish of leaves and flowers. This would be a great set EXCEPT it is double mounted and I don't do double mounted. $25.95 B-, or if you don't mind double mounted, A.

6. New set of papers called Taste of Textiles that looks great. 10 sheets of 12 x 12 for $9.95. Like the name says, they are textured and include a fabulous looking vellum with Not Quite Navy polka dots, a Black Linen texture and others. Also part of the Manhattan theme. A

7. Jumbo Brads -- 5/16" and 5/8" -- 32 of one size (8 each of chocolate chip, vanilla, white, and silver) $7.95 and $6.95 respectively. B+

8. 3 new punches -- eyelet scallop border, heart and 3 smaller hearts. I love punches! Don't need these, but they are cute. A

9. There is a Simply Sent Card set called Thanks x 2 Card Elements and More. It consists of absolutely stunning pre printed die cute and embossed cards, 4 (double mounted -- ugh) small stamps that are ok, nothing special, a stampin spot, some ribbon and some envelopes. It is $24.95. Seriously, the set doesn't grab me but the 2 kinds of pre cut cards are amazing. I have no idea if I would buy this, but if I needed a professional looking set of semi handmade cards, this would be a must buy. A

10. There are some "embosslits dies" -- they cut and emboss really cute flowers. They are $11.95 each and since they cut through cardstock, they look good. And, there is an absolutely beautiful Textured Impressions Die that coordinates with the Fifth Avenue set (see #3 above). This is coming in March. It is $7.95 and I think it is like a Cuttlebug Embossing Folder, but I'm not sure. A

11. Finally, Font of You -- very cute set of 6 stamps ($24.95) -- cup of coffee, umbrella, vase, 3 sentiments all done up in a tiny font pattern. B+

Ok, there is tons more that I like and tons more that isn't my taste. I barely looked at the papers -- the 4 day weekend coming up will give me lots of time to study!

I read somewhere that SU will be releasing its own version of digital scrapbooking. I would love to do some hybrid projects and am very much looking forward to checking out what they have to offer. No word on when it will be available.

I wish more companies had old fashioned catalogs -- so much fun to curl up and devour, instead of clicking on a screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it! I think they did a great job bringing in some fresh, new stuff. I'll definitely be getting some new rubber. The dp selections are pretty, too, but I have to use up lots more of my stash before buying paper. I like the samples, too. Lots of great ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

I LOVE it! I think they have finally caught up with the times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Joan, thanks for your wonderful review. I'm in agreement with everything you said, except that I'm also in love with the designer series papers, especially the specialty textured papers.

I also love the two new micro glitter assortments and by far my favorite product are the corduroy buttons (especially because the solid "buttons" are really brads). The jumbo brads and new color library clips are fun too! And the bird chipboard assortment, which we got to use on make and takes at leadership, is awesome!

My wish list for this catalog is three pages long! And that's just the "must haves"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Unfortunately I think if you like one cattie you don't like the next..it is almost as if you like every other one especially when SU started the two catties a year. Personally as a SU demo I do like the two a year because after 6 months I have gotten a little bored of looking through b/c by then i pretty much have it memorized. Also having only really been into SU since 2005 every set is new because I would have missed out on the older set you all would already had.
So I am so sorry some of you young veteran stampers are seeing repeats and not finding so much to love...hopefully the next one in July bring you great joy!!!!
As for sets 5th Ave Floral is my must have, Thought and Prayers, alot of the Big Shot accessories especially those exclusive to SU, AND many many accessories and papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

it's okay. better than the last one, lots more(nice) DP, but between a complete lethargy over both Hostess sets and SAB stuff, I am not in a huge rush to get anything. I do need some basics, so I will get those and concentrate more on other stamp companies from now on for my images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 06:13 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Eh....it's okay. Like everyone has said, the DSP is superb (as usual!) and the accessories are getting better....but thankfully there were only about 5 stamp sets that I liked. The new sympathy one is REALLY well done....but of course I just bought the one from PTI! I might get it anyway because it's a good one. Some cute sets that I have no use for...but at least they are cute! I don't have to worry too much about my wallet.....PTI, StampingBella, CCDesigns, that usually does enough damage!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not too thrilled with it. Too many of the sets are too similar to ones I already own. I mean really, how many different rose stamps do I really need? Some sets are cute, but just not my style....too cutsie for my taste. I don't have a big enough customer base to keep buying replacement sets for ones that are retired but similar or buying sets that I won't use on a regular basis. There are only 4 sets on my wish list right now. But I do like the new accessories, so that's where I'll be spending my money.

I'm not overly thrilled with any of the hostess sets or the SAB sets either.

Oh well....more money to spend elsewhere I guess.

My Blog -- Shannon's Sentiments
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #38  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
Yeah, I don't like any of the Hostess sets at all. I also don't like anything in the Sale-a-bration catalog. That' a bummer because I'm in a hostess club and my month is March. There is really nothing I want!
I agree - I can't say that I am overly excited by most of what is in this catty - or the SAB sets I've seen. Even my demo is pretty disappointed. And of course, my month to be hostess of my club is this month, and we meet tomorrow - first day of the new catty, and I don't even see any hostess sets that I'm dying to have, so it'll probably be the paper pack for me. There are only a few sets that I'd say are must haves, and there are some DPs I like, but I guess I'll be fulfilling my club orders with cardstock and ink for most of this catty. Let's hope the next mini is better.

My avatar is my darling niece Emma!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 08:27 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like the catty, but it seemed to me like one of the much older ones that I have. Like someone else said, if I were a new stamper, I would love it. I'm not crazy about some of the artwork. For instance, I love the idea of a cabin stamp like the one in Backwoods....I just don't care for the way it looks. Maybe that's just me.

IMHO, the repeat problem is because of having 2 catalogs a year. Of course they aren't going to come out with all new stuff...and thank goodness, my wallet couldn't handle it!

I loved the last catalog and ordered so much from it that I have many of the sets in this one. There are a few 'Must Haves' still....Branch Out, Just Buzzin' By, and many of the beautiful papers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #40  
Mad Swapper

I just want to see the catty! Soon I hope. Anyways...does anyone know if the big shot is sold as it was in the flyer (as a set with dies and plates)?
Reply With Quote Likes