Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:44 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some advice

Okay so this may get a bit long so forgive me if it does ;)

My sister is very interested in my stamping habit and is always asking me about it, wanting to read the blogs I read, wanting to see what I create etc. I see her interest and I want to share it with her, however here is the problem. She is very cheap and will not buy herself the stuff that you need to stamp. I do not live close enough to her to lend her my stamps etc so that is out of the question. I was thinking of purchasing her "starter" stuff for a Christmas Present but don't know what would make a good "kit" so to speak.

Does anyone have any ideas? Honestly I worry that I would purchase her something like this and she would do nothing with it because she would never buy herself anything else to go with it but I don't want to assume that either. So advice, ideas, whatever you have would be appreciated:mrgreen:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

That depends on how much you want to spend!

Basically, she needs stamps, paper & ink.

I'd pick out a set that might be useful for a number of occasions and to her taste. A sentiment set might also be a good set to add to that.

An assortment pack of colored cardstock

A pack of neutral cardstock

A set of stampin spots to coordinate with with the assorted cardstock

A good black or brown stamp pad

Adhesive

Don't forget envelopes!

After that I'd add tools: paper trimmer, paper snips, stamp cleaner, punches, etc

Then embellishments: ribbons, eyelets, etc.

I'm probably biased because I'm a SU demo, but contact your local demo and I'm sure she can help you out

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Maybe you could put together a kit for one or two specific projects. You could include everything she might need to make a specific card or box for example. You could include a stamp, ink, adhesive, paper, some embellishments and maybe a template or photo of the completed project. I would include enough supplies to make several of the projects.
With a kit that includes everything, she could really try her hand at stamping and you wouldn't have to worry about her not using the things you bought her because she doesn't want to pay for the rest of the supplies.
I don't know if you can be cheap and be a stamper though, so Im not sure she will last long!! She will either quit stamping or quite being cheap! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

I like the idea of sending supplies for a specific project and maybe you could include some instructions on how to's. I know some people might prefer to have some examples or instructions on what to do and maybe that would be helpful for your sister.

I do agree...not sure how long she will last...I try to be cheap...but I keep spending lol, good luck and I hope she stays with it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steph82View Post
Maybe you could put together a kit for one or two specific projects. You could include everything she might need to make a specific card or box for example. You could include a stamp, ink, adhesive, paper, some embellishments and maybe a template or photo of the completed project. I would include enough supplies to make several of the projects.
With a kit that includes everything, she could really try her hand at stamping and you wouldn't have to worry about her not using the things you bought her because she doesn't want to pay for the rest of the supplies.
I don't know if you can be cheap and be a stamper though, so Im not sure she will last long!! She will either quit stamping or quite being cheap! lol!
I like this idea. It would be very helpful for a new stamper to have a specific project to do instead of giving her a bunch of stuff and saying "now make something."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

What about one of the SU Simply Sent Card Kits??

Then if she uses the stuff, buy more to go with it for the next gift...

If she really won't add to it, then she doesn't want it bad enough. I am assuming you mean that she *could* afford it but just won't spend the money on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

How about stamping her some images.....
sending her a few sheets of card stock all pre-cut ..
and envelopes.
I wouldn't do a ton but enough to get her going.....then the rest is up to her.

just a thought!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Cher's idea is perfect...the SU Simply Sent kits are perfect for a beginner or someone dabbling in stamping.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 10:51 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I like the ideas here so far but I wanted to say something about the being cheap thing. I am too but you can find things you need at cheap places like Big Lots, Walmart, and the Dollar Store so if she wanted to continue to stamp there are places she can shop and not have to spend a huge amount of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Maybe if the gift you have in mind is more money than you want to spend you can ask your BIL (if she's married) if he wants to give this as part of his gifts to her. That way you don't break your bank on this gift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks ladis, these are some great ideas. I love the kit idea, and I love the idea of making her a project and giving her everything she needs to complete it. I also like the idea of getting her the stampin spots what a great way to give her the ink in all the colours.

cjbapp... exactly what I meant. She can afford it, she just hates to part with her money;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 01:07 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

She can afford it, she just hates to part with her money;)[/QUOTE]

I wish I had this problem LOL. I agree with the others get/make her a kit to do some of her own cards and see where she goes from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok some may think I'm a cheapo, but really I'm not, I love to share my cool stuff with my stampin buddies that really stamp... so here goes, since she is really isn't into stamping becasue if she was, she would buy the stuff, I'd make her a project kit out of the stuff you have that you don't want. Most of us have supplies (paper, embellishments, even stamps) that we just don't use. If you have these things then you can serve two purposes 1)give her a nice gift - she won't know that it is stuff you don't want and 2) it get rid of some clutter. I wouldn't buy her a paper trimmer I'd cut the pieces for her, get her a black stamp pad and maybe a couple of colored pencils or a couple of markers. This let's her make a simple card and keeps your cost down.

I find that people that are cheap usually will buy what they really and truly want, they are just cheap about "some" things and apparently, stamping isn't her thing or maybe she's just waiting for you to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about giving her a SU kit or making a few different card kits to make to see if it really is her thing before investing tons of money into it!

My DIL loves to make stuff here, but not at her home, so I'm not going to waste the $$$ to buy her things she will not use either!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes