Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 177 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Misti

For people using the MISTI, how do you clean your stamps once your image has been stamped? Do you use a wipe or wet cloth to take the ink off, do you use your stamp cleaning pad? What works for you?
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I use the Absorber, similar to a chamois, found in the automotive department. Lint-free, soap-free - I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 01:10 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

You'll find a lot of discussion on this in the MISTI forum: My Sweet Petunia - Splitcoaststampers. Iliana's recommendations are in the FAQ sticky...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I use alcohol-free baby or toddler wipes. Works perfectly! Just as good as my stamp-n-scrub.

I've only used these with dye ink, so I can't comment on pigment ink. I'm sure something like Staz-On would require something more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

To clean my stamps, I take them off my MISTI and stick them on a block to clean them like I did before I had my MISTI (with my Stampin' Up cleaner). I think it's pretty funny that the only time I use blocks now is to clean the stamps.

As far as cleaning my MISTI, I just use a rag that I've sprayed with SU cleaner. I don't worry much, because I have a piece of vinyl cling on the inside of my MISTI as well as the top. It hasn't gotten stained or dirty, but when it does I'll just toss it and put on a new piece of vinyl cling. It's cheap, and saves me worrying about staining my MISTI. I'm sure I read that tip about the vinyl on a thread here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 09:21 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally used my MISTI today for the first time! I got for my birthday in Feb 2015. So far I hate it. I put the clear film over the inside of the cover to protect the cover. The stamp pulled that up when I removed it for cleaning. What a mess! Even with the magnets my paper was pulled up after stamping. I am going to try it one more time after I get some baby wipes. If I still am not impressed I will give it to one of my friends who expressed interest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I put the clear film over the inside of the cover to protect the cover. The stamp pulled that up when I removed it for cleaning. What a mess!
My memory could be faulty (wouldn't be the first time), but I think the film is meant to go on the outside of the cover to protect the grid from rubbing off.

Sorry you don't like your MISTI. I don't use mine all the time...sometimes it's just faster to use regular blocks...but it's a great tool.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2016, 04:15 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Amber, the film goes on the outside of the lid to protect the screen printing from wearing off from opening/closing/pressing. Hmmmmm ... I think I need a trip to Vegas for a play/learning date!!! hee hee -- I wish!!! In all seriousness, the more you play with it the more you will LOVE it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2016, 04:17 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bensarmomView Post
For people using the MISTI, how do you clean your stamps once your image has been stamped? Do you use a wipe or wet cloth to take the ink off, do you use your stamp cleaning pad? What works for you?
Get an Absorber from Walmart ... they are HUGE---you can cut it into smaller pieces. Actually Patti has one ask her how she likes it. If I am using stazon I just pull the stamp off of Misti before cleaning it with a harsher cleaner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

My Sweet Petunia won the Hot Product Award at CHA for the Mini & Mega MISTI last night!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #11  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I second the absorber! Lawn Fawn sells a cute mint green one already cut down too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 07:02 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I flip my stamps into a frisbee that I use to hold dirty stamps...and then wash a pile of them at a time as I need to. Not sure if that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I put the clear stuff on the inside AND the outside of the MISTI. Now its only on the outside. Hubby picked up some alcohol wipes for me today. I will try it again soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 04:31 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I second the absorber! Lawn Fawn sells a cute mint green one already cut down too.
Thanks for sharing this information! I couldn't find it on their site, though. :confused: Do you have a link, maybe?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #15  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping me.View Post
Thanks for sharing this information! I couldn't find it on their site, though. :confused: Do you have a link, maybe?
Oh my gosh - me neither - LOL! Let me ask Kelly Marie and I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I finally used my MISTI today for the first time! I got for my birthday in Feb 2015. So far I hate it. I put the clear film over the inside of the cover to protect the cover. The stamp pulled that up when I removed it for cleaning. What a mess! Even with the magnets my paper was pulled up after stamping. I am going to try it one more time after I get some baby wipes. If I still am not impressed I will give it to one of my friends who expressed interest.
Amber, I've only used mine once since I got it, and I am also not impressed. I had the same experience as you did with the paper moving. It seemed like a lot of trouble to use. I much prefer using my acrylic blocks.

Maybe if I ever used the larger background stamps, it would be more worthwhile. I have very few of them, and mainly use pattern paper and embossing folders instead of background stamps.

I think it depends on the type of stamper you are as to whether you like the Misti. I typically make multiples of my cards and usually stamp many images on an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of cardstock. Then I color the images and die cut or fussy cut them. To do that with the Misti, I would have to cut my paper into pieces to fit into the Misti before I stamped.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Oh my gosh - me neither - LOL! Let me ask Kelly Marie and I'll let you know.
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping me.View Post
Thanks a lot!
They were at CHA - so maybe they're coming out later. They're SO cute and have the little logo on them. Excuse the ink on mine - we were using them at the booth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #19  

Quote:

They were at CHA - so maybe they're coming out later. They're SO cute and have the little logo on them. Excuse the ink on mine - we were using them at the booth.
Available February 18th from Lawn Fawn for $8.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Quote:

Available February 18th from Lawn Fawn for $8.
Thank you so much! They are really cute! Now I have to add them to my wishlist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

If I am stamping multiple cards and the stamp needs cleaned between cards, i use the Absorber as mentioned above or a baby wipe to clean off excess ink. Once I'm done, I will place the stamp on a clear block and clean it as usual...

...just learning
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Amber and Bugga: I was frustrated when I first used my Misti when the cardstock lifted up with the stamp. Magnets were not holding it down. I learned to lift the lid slower and poke the cardstock down before it lifted much....so it's definitely in the same place for the 2nd layer of ink. NOW I LOVE IT. Lydia's video showing how to do multi-layer stamping with different images was a great help.
I put the dirty stamps on a block and clean with my SU scrub pad. I think I will get The Absorber to see if it works with pigment inks....because I need more stuff on my crafting table!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 AM   #23  

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Amber and Bugga: I was frustrated when I first used my Misti when the cardstock lifted up with the stamp. Magnets were not holding it down. I learned to lift the lid slower and poke the cardstock down before it lifted much....so it's definitely in the same place for the 2nd layer of ink. NOW I LOVE IT. Lydia's video showing how to do multi-layer stamping with different images was a great help.
I put the dirty stamps on a block and clean with my SU scrub pad. I think I will get The Absorber to see if it works with pigment inks....because I need more stuff on my crafting table!
That's the beauty of having a corner to tuck it into that never moves - just pop it back in and it's perfect! I only see that with photopolymer b/c they're so sticky - but it's not biggie - into the corner it goes. I only use the magnets if I'm moving my card around inside the original MISTI to do a repetitive stamp design or masking. You can also washi tape your card if it really bugs you.

Thank you for the props on that video - I squealed when I figured that out! I have so many pretty rubber two step stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
If you get the Absorber, you'll end up with less on your table because you won't need all that other cleaning stuff! You can cut it up into smaller pieces: I cut mine into 6 sections, each approximately 6' X 8". I use 1, a backup for that one when it's in the laundry, 1 in my tote bag and 3 spares.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2016, 02:33 PM   #25  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Again I'm in the minority but I hated the absorber. I tried it for about 2 months and I just didn't like that I would transfer junk back to my hands. I cut it into pieces so I could rotate but I would forget to look to see where I was putting my hands, and bam! junk on my hands. I'm back to baby wipes, paper towels, and the CTMH scrubby brush.

As for the stamped paper lifting when you lift the lid, I found that this happened when I used some of the newer sticky clear stamps. As a habit I use 3 magnets, but it's not a real issue because I easily place the paper back in the corner. I also found that when the paper is going to lift, it will lift when using a stamping block because the MISTI is not what is making the stamp sticky.

I have sticky cling on the bottom, and the front and back cover. I used self-sealing laminates on the cover and the clear vinyl tablecloth stuff from JoAnns. All have been on the MISTI for over a year and have not lifted. I smoothed them all down with my pot scrubber (i.e. my bone folder).

The bottom line, there is a learning curve like with all new tools but it's well worth giving yourself the opportunity to find out why most of us are all agog. But then, like with all things, not every tool is great for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to get the new Lawn Fawn Stamp Shammy! It looks awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes