Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-03-2019, 05:23 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military boots

I wanted to make patriotic cards for our military. I bought the most detailed boots stamp to use on some of the cards. By accident I heard that boots can symbolize death or something negative. I would NEVER want to offend anyone by putting something on a card that could be taken the wrong way. I only want to make cards that will be nice and an encouragement to our deserving men and women.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 06:59 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

From what I can see, they only symbolize death when placed on top of a table (the origin is apparently from when prisoners were hanged and the tips of the boots would hit the platform and that morphed into the symbol of a tabletop).

Everything else I could find about boots had to do with being grounded, protected, motivated, etc. I've seen lots of cards made for military with boots on them - I think you're good to go!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that bit of info Sue, that explains the old superstition- at least here in the UK- that it's unlucky to put shoes on a table, and especially new shoes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it. I had thought the boots stamp with some flowers in them would look nice. However I was told THAT would also symbolize a death. Not coming from a military background leaves me clueless. Have you seen cards with boots and flowers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Thanks for that bit of info Sue, that explains the old superstition- at least here in the UK- that it's unlucky to put shoes on a table, and especially new shoes.
I'm in New York and my Mom drilled it into my head to never put new shoes on a table/counter. To this day I still can't do it. When I order shoes online and the box is put on the kitchen counter for me while at work, it gives me the willies seeing it when I get home and immediately put the box on the floor!

Regarding boots, I do know propping boots along with a rifle perched on its end with a helmet on the stock is a tribute to a fallen soldier, called a Battlefield Cross. I'm unaware of just boots being an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

for some branches of the military when you hear one of them call another a "boot" its more of a sometimes teasing, sometimes snarkier. but, its said to junior members who have recently left boot camp behind and have not deployed for the first time yet.

or to people in equal ranks that are just dis-ing each other,

hearing someone called a "boot", is not a nice thing. :mrgreen:

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Just an opinion, and others may not agree, but I think that the boots would be much more effective if you didn't try to "pretty" them up (with flowers in them or what have you). Some type of patriotic background with the boots as a focal point or something like that. Or monochromatic - stamp the boots in a darker shade than the card base and call it done! Also, at the risk of sounding - whatever - I'm thinking that the recipient will be grateful for the card regardless, and we may ALL be overthinking this!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

You're probably right. In an attempt to do the 'correct' thing it's easy to sometimes overthink the situation. I will make the cards and trust that they will be received in the same manner in which they are sent. Thanks to all who commented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2019, 02:11 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just been Googling this, out of interest, and found this article from a San Francisco newspaper. I wonder if this is where the idea originated? Article HERE.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2019, 04:05 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

When a service person has died, the following is often done. Just the boots, with no embellishments (flowers etc) would simply symbolize boots ready to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2019, 04:09 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found this one recently and thought it was pretty awesome! From PTI's stamp set Heart and Sole.
Attached Thumbnails
Military boots-6a00e54efec67b883301bb099bb98f970d-500wi.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2019, 04:31 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Rende, looking into the symbolism, and what boots may evoke to someone in the service, seems caring and respectful. : )

Empty boots might evoke some sadness - or not, depending on how they’re presented? (For example, not if new boots for someone in boot camp.)

Your question reminded me of a politician who wore his son’s combat boots every day during his Senate campaign some years ago as a tribute to him and others facing danger. And when looking on line I stumbled across a classroom exercise using military boots as a tribute to soldiers.

If still wondering, I bet there’s an on-line forum to ask military family members, but it sounds like you’re good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 08:13 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Default Boots

I'm a Navy mom, we sometimes will say we have boots in the house, meaning that our sailor is home visiting. There are some Military branches that dont like the term because it means the soldier has passed.
I dont think using boots alone on a card is disrespectful. I've seen some really nice Military themed cards with boots, dog tags, and stars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 43 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldumont999View Post
When a service person has died, the following is often done. Just the boots, with no embellishments (flowers etc) would simply symbolize boots ready to go.
When my Son passed while he was deployed in Iraq ....Ohana members here got tattooed the boots riffle and helmet as a tribute and in memory of him .
Now everyday I pray for my grandson and few nephews I’ve had a hand and pleasure in raising as well that are now also active service men and a niece now is also in training..... it’s a nice tribute but one I so wish I don’t have to see again ...
Good luck with whatever you choice to make and mahalo for wanting to do for the deserving Heros!! I too have made cards with boots and dog tag and really never meant or thought of it as or in a disrespectful manner ....for me this one with the boot , riffle and helmet is the only one that symbolize a fallen soldier. As with anything else diffrent things means differently for everyone. So gl and again mahalo !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

My husband was in the AF for over 30 years. My son was in the Army. A card with boots as a focal point would be fine. Most service members appreciate the support and thoughtfulness of those who take the time to send cards and notes. They understand “civilians” may not be aware of the military symbolism of some objects. I remember when my husband was promoted to Chief Master Sergeant , and everyone was calling him the Jeep Chief. I thought that was so exciting, especially since we drove a Jeep! Then I found out JEEP stood for Just Enough Education to Pass! In other words he was brand new in his rank.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

It is great that you are trying to be careful.
I have seen boots alone and I have that stamp myself. (Deep Red stamps if anyone wants one) I think any of the symbols *alone* is fine-a gun, boots, dog tags...it seems when you start combining them together we get into memorial concepts. Flags, stars, red white and blue designs...all good. When I was in the forum Sandy Allnock ran for years for cards for soldiers I would see that all the time.

I would skip the flowers too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Boots, yes! Flowers, no!

When I think of ‘boots’ in military jargon, I think of “boots on the ground”, which basically means foot soldiers are in the area... I believe the stamp with just boots would be very nice. Also, I further strongly agree about NOT using flowers to make them prettier. I do believe they will be received in the spirit you intend! Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Boots Okay, no dog tags

I’m retired Navy. There is nothing wrong with the boots, everyone in the military wears them every day. If you place the boots with dog tags and/or another item (which looks like a fallen tribute) then yes, it looks like it’s in reference to a deceased military member. It means they are missing or no longer here and are no longer wearing their boots, dog tags, and caring the other items like a rifle.
Reply With Quote Likes