Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2011, 04:17 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miffed:(

I wanted to order a punch from the clearance rack at Stampin Up. It was $9.59 but with taxes and shipping and handling it's $18.11. Would someone please explain why shipping and handling is soooooo much? This is one of the reasons I quit ordering from Stamping Up.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard your grief. I really hate shipping...it always just ruins any deals out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:31 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think SU shipping starts at $7.95. I've ordered only twice this year and not at all for many years before that. But I think I recall reading online that it's something like $7.95 or 10% whichever is higher.

The shipping charges are what keeps me from ordering a lot of things online, not just from Stampin' Up. When I do order online, I order from places where I can several items I need or want at one time. Mostly, though, I just do without if it's something I can't get at JoAnn's or Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #4  
Inking Addict

I've looked for this punch at Michaels and Hobby Lobby to no avail.....I guess I'll breakdown and purchase it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minimum shipping charge is $6.95 (US) for totals under $69.50. 10% for totals over $69.50. You can see if you can find a demonstrator close to you who may be putting in an order and ask to add your punch to the order. That way you should only be paying for 10% for shipping, since the demo is likely to pool various customer orders together to meet the minimum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemycardsView Post
Minimum shipping charge is $6.95 (US) for totals under $69.50. 10% for totals over $69.50. You can see if you can find a demonstrator close to you who may be putting in an order and ask to add your punch to the order. That way you should only be paying for 10% for shipping, since the demo is likely to pool various customer orders together to meet the minimum.
Yikes, I forgot that we're talking about Clearance Rack. Items on the Clearance Rack can only be ordered online. I'm sorry for my mistake. Although sometimes it might still benefit you to check with a local demonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Minimum shipping is a pain for small orders. But if a friend also wanted a punch, shipping would be 1/2 of that per punch. And if you guys wanted 4 punches, it would be 1/4 of that per punch. It's more reasonable with a slightly larger order.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angie1974View Post
That is precisely why I shop at Micheal's almost exclusively, except for when I can make it to a scrapbooking/card-making/papercrafting specialty store. I would never have the money to shop for anything craft-related, otherwise.
Yes, if only Micheal's would change out their inventory more than every 3-4 years.....sigh:-(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristipapercreatioView Post
Yes, if only Micheal's would change out their inventory more than every 3-4 years.....sigh:-(
Isn't that the truth! Ours has the same things forever!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Gourmet Stamps has flat rate shipping of $5.50
and they are currently having a 40% off sale
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Did you order directly from the main SU site or your demo's website? I'm pretty sure if you just go through the SU site and don't specify a demo then you get a higher ship rate. It's their way of hoping you go through a demo. You get a "break" on shipping and the "preferred" price through a demo's website.

Shipping (and taxes, ha) do stink! It's not cheap for SU to ship I'm sure though. They have to eat a LOT of the shipping costs by shipping backorders and order corrections and the like. My DH is in charge of shipping for a multi million dollar company and complains all the time about shipping costs and how he hopes he breaks even each year...most of the time companies lose on shipping. I would not want to be in charge of shipping anywhere:-)

I try to make my orders "worth" the shipping cost but sometimes it can't be helped...like with the clearance rack. I feel bad for my friends who live SO CLOSE to SU....they have to pay the same for shipping when in theory they could just go pick it up:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

I ordered from my demo. Even when I was in a stamp club, each of us (12 ladies) had 12 separate orders all paying tax and shipping & handling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcherylView Post
I ordered from my demo. Even when I was in a stamp club, each of us (12 ladies) had 12 separate orders all paying tax and shipping & handling.
You should all pay tax and shipping BUT it can work out to be less for you if you combine sometimes. I don't really understand the separate orders thing but each demo runs her club differently.

I get free shipping from The Limited...but only because I spend stupid crazy amounts of money there on their credit card so REALLY I pay for it...just not directly, lol! And I just bought some Hallmark Ornaments I couldn't get half off the day after Christmas (never happened before, always got the ones I wanted) and ended up paying way more with S&H than I would have if I'd gotten them in store full price:-) I THOUGHT it was supposed be only a dollar more for each item but the shipping was more than that...I don't really understand ebay...

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I know SU's S&H bites into your crafting budget big time. I never need big orders from that company. I only order one or two things at a time, mainly stamp sets. No demo for me so I order online through a demo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Shipping and taxes (on the shipping too!!!) get me every time. I only order from Stampin' Up! once every 18 months now (on average). Mostly I buy my supplies online from companies who offer free shipping (and no tax!!) for puchases over $40, $50, or $60. I try to buy Stampin' Up! (and CTMH) stamp sets from conventions (at least there I would save on shipping). Or I wait 'til my demo emails that she's going to sell her old retired SU! stamp sets or tools - that's when I go look. No shipping or tax, and usually a small discount on the original price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:41 AM   #16  

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Shipping and taxes (on the shipping too!!!) get me every time. I only order from Stampin' Up! once every 18 months now (on average). Mostly I buy my supplies online from companies who offer free shipping (and no tax!!) for puchases over $40, $50, or $60. I try to buy Stampin' Up! (and CTMH) stamp sets from conventions (at least there I would save on shipping). Or I wait 'til my demo emails that she's going to sell her old retired SU! stamp sets or tools - that's when I go look. No shipping or tax, and usually a small discount on the original price.
I'm curious how companies can sell with no tax????

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Online companies are allowed to sell without charging sales tax if they are sending the merchandise to an address outside the company's state. In most states, consumers are required by law to report the items they purchase this way and pay sales tax on all items purchased on line to their state of residence. There is a place on my VA income tax return to do this.

I don't know of anyone that does this. I do, but I still hear the nun in 8th grade warning us of what would happen if we tried to cheat....

A demo selling off her personal stock is not going to charge sales tax just like I don't charge sales tax when I sell a previously loved set to another stamper. I have no idea if I am supposed to but I can't imagine how complicated that would be. The nun insided my head told me not to worry about it!!

This is why online companies have a huge (and some would say unfair) advantage of demo sales and over brick and mortar stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Online companies are allowed to sell without charging sales tax if they are sending the merchandise to an address outside the company's state. In most states, consumers are required by law to report the items they purchase this way and pay sales tax on all items purchased on line to their state of residence. There is a place on my VA income tax return to do this.

I don't know of anyone that does this. I do, but I still hear the nun in 8th grade warning us of what would happen if we tried to cheat....

A demo selling off her personal stock is not going to charge sales tax just like I don't charge sales tax when I sell a previously loved set to another stamper. I have no idea if I am supposed to but I can't imagine how complicated that would be. The nun insided my head told me not to worry about it!!

This is why online companies have a huge (and some would say unfair) advantage of demo sales and over brick and mortar stores.
Right, I get that part:-) Didn't realize online stores don't have to charge sales tax outside that state. Interesting! Thanks for the info!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 05:54 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh yes Minders. What Joan B said! Sorry I didn't clarify sooner. I DO have to pay sales tax when I buy from online stores in my own state. But um... I don't do that often, precisely because of the tax. :( I know it discourages me to "buy local" but I figure out-of-state sales from other card-makers who refrain from buying from their own in-state online stores (that I buy from) would make up for me. At least, that's what I tell myself...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

This is taken directly from a page regarding Online Stores and Sales Tax

"Collecting Sales Tax: Some Sites Have To, Some Don't

If an online retailer has a physical presence in a particular state, such as a store, business office, or warehouse, it must collect sales tax from customers in that state. If a business does not have a physical presence in a state, it is not required to collect sales tax for sales into that state. This rule is derived from a 1992 Supreme Court decision which held that mail-order merchants did not need to collect sales taxes for sales into states where they did not have a physical presence."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Here is the link to "correctly" learn more about online collection of taxes.....

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...net-29919
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2011, 07:56 AM   #22  

I'm such a nerd...I find this all very interesting:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:03 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I'm such a nerd...I find this all very interesting:-)
You are NOT a nerd.....the reason I am so familiar with all of this is because I worked for 20 years for a company that is in catalog sales selling sound equipment and supplies AND we also "Systems" dept that installs the sound systems for churches and a good portion of the major Sports arenas across the US. ( Cleveland Cavaliers, Phoenix Sun's stadium as an example)
Because of going to another state to do the installing and creating of a sound system for these places, a license has to be obtained to be able to do the job.
The minute a license is obtained, we then have NEXUS in that state, meaning we have a license to do business in that state and we must now collect their taxes and follow their rules on collecting taxes on shipping also.

I worked directly with the tax issue with each state and often had to be a part of being audited by each state....which is common in our type of business, so I learned a great deal about the different states and their type of taxes.
At the same time I also worked directly with UPS regarding the shipping.
Most folks have no idea what a company pays out in shipping, even though they get specialized rates for doing large amounts of shipping, what a business puts out is staggering.
I personally feel that Stampin'Up! pretty much breaks even with their shipping costs and I am certain that they do not MAKE money on their shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

If I can I wait to see if I can find the item being sold by a previous stamper... however I know it is hard to wait and when I really want the item, I try to get an order together with my friends so we can all share the shipping charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #25  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
just to let you know.....the 10% charges on your shipping is because of the State's laws that you live in....SU doesn't get it....at least that's how it was explained to me......and, when you are ordering from a workshop etc., even though you get a separate bill, she combines all the orders from that demonstration together, to get the cheaper shipping charges......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaneyView Post
just to let you know.....the 10% charges on your shipping is because of the State's laws that you live in....SU doesn't get it....at least that's how it was explained to me......and, when you are ordering from a workshop etc., even though you get a separate bill, she combines all the orders from that demonstration together, to get the cheaper shipping charges......
Yeah, it doesn't really matter WHO gets the 10% tax on the shipping - it's just that I'd rather avoid it. Not only do I avoid buying new SU! merchandise (I'm perfectly happy to wait until sets are retired and go up for tax-less resale) because of tax, I also avoid in-state online purchases. I'm not proud of this, because I do agree that supporting local businesses (I know they don't keep the taxes either) is a good thing, but... well...I still avoid it. < lame apologetic look >
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

Having to pay taxes on my order is why I only buy online from Joanns when I have a free shipping coupon.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 12:41 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel your pain about shipping cost. I want to order some white paper from PTI that is $6 and shipping is going to cost me $6.95 so needless to say I haven't ordered yet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Suzanne, I have always ordered enough paper from PTI to get the free shipping (assuming they still do that) at least that is why I tell my DH why I have so much paper. "The shipping was free!!"

Wow, doesn't Joannes, and like stores, have to charge sales tax if they have a store in the city you are ordering from?? I thought I had to pay tax on my online Walmart order because we have one in town......... Hmmmm guess I had better pay more attention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I do want to mention that some items are HEAVY. Paper, punches and the like are heavy and the PO only wants you to ship heavy items Priority Mail. Add tracking and insurance and it gets pricey to ship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

This is exactly why when we lived in Missouri, I would order all our computer stuff from HP and not have to pay any taxes on it and we'd get free shipping and a government discount.. it was a win, win for us.

~ Pam

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
Suzanne, I have always ordered enough paper from PTI to get the free shipping (assuming they still do that) at least that is why I tell my DH why I have so much paper. "The shipping was free!!"

Wow, doesn't Joannes, and like stores, have to charge sales tax if they have a store in the city you are ordering from?? I thought I had to pay tax on my online Walmart order because we have one in town......... Hmmmm guess I had better pay more attention.
They do, that's why I wait to order when I can get free shipping.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am stuck on why you only had one item you wanted from the clearance rack. I had just put in an order for 100.00 and then ordered another 100.00 from the clearance the following week. I paid a little over 10.00 for my shipping and received the items in a week. I am so happy to have all these new things.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

I also feel your pain about the shipping fees but, in some cases, I do get it why it cost so much (depending on the type of item being shipped). But then there are other times it just ticks me off. The main part of the problem, because online ordering is all computer generated, it allows no room for deciding what type of packaging your item(s) will fit into. For example, I was recently going to order 5 Distress Ink pads from an online store. Every store local in my area either doesn't have them, or they are out of stock in the colors I need. These Distress Ink pads would easily fit into the smallest flat rate box. But, the online store computer only recognizes an order and charges what the system is set up for as the store's standard shipping rate. In the case of my 5 Distress Ink pads, the total shipping charge would have been their standard rate of $6.95. The human is factored out when it comes to online ordering and shipping charges. A computer has no idea that a flat rate box would be the cheaper way to ship my items. Needless to say, I decided to wait it out for my local stores to get the ink pads in stock--however long that's going to take (?). But I don't need them that bad to pay outrageous shipping fees for something that small.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post

I know but I don't always have $60 to spend at one time and like now I really only need the white paper but don't think I want to buy 10 packs of it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I so agree with you ladies-and its not only over there, and SU. we get the same over here- sometimes the shipping is more than the product. I don't mind paying fair shipping, if for instance its a heavy item, but I do object to 'cheap' prices, but with inflated postage. It can be a bit relative, tho, occasionally I have bought from the US, and paid less for the product AND the shipping than I would have paid over here. Crazy, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 01:00 PM   #37  
Inking Addict

@LorriV, My money is precious. I will never order $100 worth of merchandise from SU. I like some of their products but not enough to spend that much money and definitely not enough to spend $200. I've noticed that most stampers spend gobs of money on "materials"
and never really get their monies worth. So, I'm very selective with my purchases. Waste not, want not....is my motto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #38  

Just because a person spends whatever amount they choose to does NOT mean they do not value money. Now, I know I am very lucky because I have a decent disposable income to spend on my hobby and other things I like. I know not everyone is as lucky but again, because a person is a "spender" does NOT mean they do not know that value of money. Personally, I spend quite a bit on SU BUT I do not feel wasteful as I use my products and I really like the quality. I "wasted" a lot more money when I bought sub par products elsewhere and then never used them or they broke or whatever. I also chose to be more frugal in other areas of my life so I can purchase what I want stamping wise. I don't find SU's shipping that off base either. I do my share of online shopping and free shipping is really not all that uncommon.

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #39  
Inking Addict

@Minders, I have the money to spend. I do not like SU enough to spend that much money on them. I wasn't questioning anyone's spending preferences or whether or not they know the value of money, I spoke about myself. Besides that, I wanted 1 item at $9.59; by the time s&h and tax was added in, I've purchased 2 punches. That punch is not worth my dime. I love quality as well, but at my price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzanneView Post
I know but I don't always have $60 to spend at one time and like now I really only need the white paper but don't think I want to buy 10 packs of it.
I am so happy to find another stamper who feels the same way. A lot of times I only need white paper or one stamp set. I have no need the other items from that company. I don't want to buy in bulk. Free S&H over a certain amount does not fit for my needs. I understand why the companies do that. It does make shopping challenging for us who like smaller items.

Reply With Quote Likes