Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Michaels Sold

Working on a kindle fire and can't get article posted

Michaels craft store has been bought by Apollo Global Management for 3.3 billion.

Last edited by lesliespringer; 03-03-2021 at 04:37 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 04:32 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

What? I had not heard that news. I wonder what changes that will bring to their stores. I don't buy much from them but I run in for tape refills, magnetic sheets and envelopes fairly regularly. Fingers crossed I don't have to go to on-line only with them.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 04:38 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is a link to an article about it.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ls-to-be-sold/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 05:10 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny you posted this today, I went into one yesterday and still find the experience extremely depressing and the statement about expanding the Michaels brand does not sound promising to me. I don't need or want cheap copycat import junk.

I really miss the Michaels of years gone by 😟. If the new and "improved" one were to disappear, it would probably barely register on my radar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 06:35 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

I started working for Michaels back in fall 2012 and worked for 1 1/2 years there. Back then all Michaels stores were going through renovations. All shelving was brought down to almost head level and a lot of stock was reduce also. And Michaels was building so many stores all over the US.

Back then when I worked there the District manager allowed so many hours for employees to work. So My manager had a set amount of hours to distribute out to all employees. That's why you only see one cashier out on the floor many times.

There would have to be so many customers in line before another cashier would be called out. And when the holiday season came and your shift was up being a cashier, and the store was packed I was refused to be let off at my scheduled time with threats that if I did not stay don't bother coming back, and if I was the only cashier and repeatedly calling for back up and there was none I was told deal with it.

Back then I knew changes were coming but I didn't think it would have taken so long.

The last three times I have been in my local store the shelves have been pretty empty.

Now it's a wait and see what will happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 11:14 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I really miss the Michaels of years gone by 😟. If the new and "improved" one were to disappear, it would probably barely register on my radar.
For years, I only went in if I had a 40 percent coupon and often times I left empty handed. Shelves were stocked with the same ol' boring stuff month after month and year after year. Lines grew long, cashiers became surly or just plain robotic. Finding someone to answer a product question was impossible. I got so fed up that I stopped shopping at Michael's altogether.

The only reason I don't wish the local Michael's to leave is that I don't want the storefront to be vacant or worse, filled with another ghetto dollar store, liquor store, or check cashing/loan places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 11:31 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

when I try to open the link it says I have to subscribe to the paper to read the article. Sad this has happened... I have no craft stores other than about 25+ miles away (one way), and even then the Michaels prices seemed too high - and their coupons were pretty much a waste because of all the restrictions on them.. Looks like the craft supplies will pretty much only be available on line. Thanks for the heads up !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
when I try to open the link it says I have to subscribe to the paper to read the article. Sad this has happened... I have no craft stores other than about 25+ miles away (one way), and even then the Michaels prices seemed too high - and their coupons were pretty much a waste because of all the restrictions on them.. Looks like the craft supplies will pretty much only be available on line. Thanks for the heads up !

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/03/busin...llo/index.html

Try this link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I just clicked on the first link posted. I didn't get that subscription notice. Weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Huh. I just got an order in from online. Needed some glue and more white 110lb CS

I am always leery when hedge funds and these investment groups buy retail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I read a discussion about this topic on another forum. Someone mentioned that this is not the first time Michael’s has been bought by an investment company. So, maybe it won’t be bad news. I’m not sure if this is correct info but I’m hoping the only changes will be positive ones. Our town has a Joann’s, Hobby Lobby and Michael’s and they all seem to do really well. They are really busy on weekends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2021, 04:50 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

THANK YOU ! the second link worked. (I tried the first link and again a message popped up saying I had to subscribe to read it.)
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Michaels has great service and staffing. While shopping staff stops and I’m asked if I need help and cashier staffing has been good. It’s been pretty well stocked and not just with the same old stuff. I’ve done on line shop and pick up but I’ve also been in the store during the last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

The most newly built store in Tulsa opened with an especially big scrapping & cardmaking area. Through the last 8 or so years that area has been reduced. Martha Stewart stuff is gone (no loss to me) and less of everything else we use. They added more decor. I always had good service there. Recently a tornado went through a midtown shopping area and when Michaels reopened (remodeled) it didn't feel very friendly AND worst of all the air conditioning doesn't work right. This is a huge drawback in Oklahoma. I don't find much I need and they stopped the 40% off coupons. Changed their email practices, so I don't know what's going on unless I search online for their ads. Maybe if we sen input to the new owners they will consider what their patrons really want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2021, 05:31 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
The most newly built store in Tulsa opened with an especially big scrapping & cardmaking area. Through the last 8 or so years that area has been reduced. Martha Stewart stuff is gone (no loss to me) and less of everything else we use. They added more decor. I always had good service there. Recently a tornado went through a midtown shopping area and when Michaels reopened (remodeled) it didn't feel very friendly AND worst of all the air conditioning doesn't work right. This is a huge drawback in Oklahoma. I don't find much I need and they stopped the 40% off coupons. Changed their email practices, so I don't know what's going on unless I search online for their ads. Maybe if we sen input to the new owners they will consider what their patrons really want.

I still get 2-3 Michaels emails a day even the ones I opted out of a long time ago. 🙄🙄🙄
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 800 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Funny you posted this today, I went into one yesterday and still find the experience extremely depressing and the statement about expanding the Michaels brand does not sound promising to me. I don't need or want cheap copycat import junk.

I totally agree! cheap copycat import junk is not speaking to me in the slightest way. I can't remember the last time I went into one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2021, 04:49 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling this way. So sad ☹
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I have not shopped at Michael's or JoAnn's in over 10 years. The atmosphere just doesn't feel friendly and welcoming. We had Pat Catan's on the Pittsburgh area here and I LOVED them. The women there were so nice, and the store was spacious so I wasn't bumping into people every which way. Those were bought by Michael's and recently closed. Hobby Lobby is the best, but I don't shop in craft stores, anyways to be honest. Since I know what I like and I like to keep things simple, I've already found my favorite stamping haunts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
We had Pat Catan's on the Pittsburgh area here and I LOVED them. The women there were so nice, and the store was spacious so I wasn't bumping into people every which way. Those were bought by Michael's and recently closed.
Pat Catan's was The Best -- and was quickly ruined by Michaels. I can only imagine what a new corporate owner will do to Michaels!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #20  
~Coloring Rocket Girl~

Received 662 Likes on 543 Posts

I was in Michael's yesterday. It was rather depressing. The paper area hardly had any paper. The stamping section had 4 wooden stamps and about 5 clear sets. The rest were empty shelves with marked down stickers on the shelves. I had a 20% coupon...so, I bought my 110# white card stock (last package on the shelf) and some adhesive. Hubby found some wood he needed. I told him that it had been sold. He said it's easier to let the shelves run out and then restock with the new brand. It had been 6 months since I had been in. Will wait to see what the "new sheriff in town" does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2021, 12:04 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I haven't shopped at any of the local Michael stores in a while. I'm not finding any "new" material such as metal dies, stamp sets, distress oxides, inks, powders, etc. for paper crafting (they seem to carry the same old limited inventory), except for tons of Cricut materials.
I shop the brick and mortar stores Hobby Lobby, Joann's, Tuesday Morning and my friend's scrapbooking/craft store In my area when I need an item for a current project, otherwise I'll place an online order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2021, 12:57 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Same here in Canada. They are not the same as they used to be years ago. I spent a small fortune on Martha Stewart products because they kept coming out with new ones. Then they just started carrying the same styles over and over. That might have been a MS issue. Now I see the same with other products. And the consumable ones are all too often out of stock. And I sure miss the good old coupons and their lack of restrictions...hardly worth using now. I guess they weren't making enough profit overall...why else stop unless it wasn't helping their bottom line.

I had a discussion with DH about the Michael's purchase and he said sometimes these "investors" buy big chains that are in trouble (see their debt to asset ratio) and then sell off the assets feeding the greedy investors pockets and then declare bankruptcy which becomes a capital loss to offset capital gains that mean high taxes. Or something like that. I am not a financier. It's the only big craft store near me. Since I haven't bought very much there lately I guess it won't be a big loss. I suppose that means more on-line shopping. I do prefer to look at what I am buying before I pay though. The shopping experience is really changing fast with the internet that's for sure.

We'll see how it unfolds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh oh. This sounds alot like the changes Christopher and Banks went through before they went bankrupt and closed all their stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Michael's is fine for "oh, it's an emergency and I need a piece of shiny silver paper" but it has nothing that cannot be bought elsewhere. A Michael's opened in the summer about a mile away from my house. I went in there to buy a 12 x 12 paper holder. Found it and left. Haven't been in since.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in my local PA Michael's late Feb. I hadn't been in the store in a year. I couldn't believe the empty shelves and it left me wondering if it's going out of business. Definitely less crafting and more decor items. Like others, I'm not interested in their own label items. It's mostly cheap quality.

Marye
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I finally went back to my Michaels because I have been reading on my cards Facebook pages that Michael's and HB are all having clearance. Well my HB hasn't had one yet. And I missed my Michael's clearance sale. The card making shelves were all empty. I did manage to get a combo pack of card bases and envelopes in white and cream. That was it.

I asked cashier if they had any ideas when new shipment for card making would come in. She had no idea and didn't know what brands they would receive in stock.

I know that the cashier doesn't know this, as Michael's never tells their employees what is going on.

I know because I worked there back in 2012. I just hope they get new stamps because Michael's was still selling the same stamps (before the shelfs were cleared off) as when I was working there back in 2012 :O
Reply With Quote Likes