Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I''m lucky to have a bunch of airplane crazy friends and relatives, both male and female. In the case of planes color scheme and accessories are the only things I change and if I've chosen colors to match a the traditional paint scheme of a plane, I might not even change that for a girl. This website has got a good collection of aviation stamps.
Aviation Museum Store Products

I've used architectural themes for guys also. I just bought this stamp, which is based on a Frank Lloyd Wright design, and I've used it successfully for several masculine cards. Victorine Originals - Order Return Test Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:02 AM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by happigirlcorgiView Post
I've noticed no one has mentioned doing some non-images - like more of a modern art feel. Just a thought. I use the Puns of Praise set from CMTH in browns and greys. It has glasses, a bankers lamp, an old polaroid... stuff like that. You can always just not stamp the attached greeting (or cut them apart). Ialso use the D is for Dog and C is for Cat (from SU) for pet lovers. Seems like there are a lot of bicycle stamps. For people who are into hiking... what about a terrific vista?
Sometimes I just use all sorts of Happy Birthday stamps all over the front of a card. Or just a tree and greeting.
I think we all tend to overthink when we do cards. Consider your audience, if they aren't stampers they aren't going to critique it. I know sometimes I make cards and think it really needs something or it's not great but then start thinking wait, she doesn't stamp, she thinks my ugly cards are great when she sees them, she will love it. And they always do.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #43  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with you also! My men vary ALOT!!!!!!!!! My husband likes the great outdoors where our son doesn't! My husband isn't into sports like gulf or football but, weight lifting! Our son is a "nerd" & likes MATH & computers! I've found ONE MATH STAMP from Hero Arts. It's a backgrounder stamp! Flourishes DOES have a COMPUTER STAMP in a Graduation stamp set, which I have yet to get! I think Gina K has one too! I usually go with Snoopy, Charlie Brown or Batman for our son since he likes these too! You REALLY DO have to STRETCH when it comes to Masculine cards! KNOW YOUR MEN WELL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:06 AM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetrisView Post
I''m lucky to have a bunch of airplane crazy friends and relatives, both male and female. In the case of planes color scheme and accessories are the only things I change and if I've chosen colors to match a the traditional paint scheme of a plane, I might not even change that for a girl. This website has got a good collection of aviation stamps.

I've used architectural themes for guys also. I just bought this stamp, which is based on a Frank Lloyd Wright design, and I've used it successfully for several masculine cards. Victorine Originals - Order Return Test Page
Do you have a reference for how large those plane stamps are?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

Gosh I love my Geeky husband but he is totally a computer geek in every sense of the word! No sports, no hobbies, no interests nothing just gaming. The only other thing that wold be great to find would be a line of stamp with Star Trek, Star Wars and James Bond 007 Themes! I would be set!

I must admit...We have 3 daughters and it melts my heart every time when I see how involved he is with them! Dress-Up Tea parties (he looks fabulous in a pink boa,) Princess bingo night etc. He is awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm hoping this isn't a duplicate, but the Prima (yes, Prima!) Craftsmen collection is wonderful - the stamps in particular. The paper is wonderful as well. Stamps can be seen here, here, and here. All the other pieces of the collection are pretty cool.

With a husband, 5 sons and 2 grandsons, this collection is perfect.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

Default Same problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I know that masculine themes fall under certain broad standards: golf, tools, sports, hunting, fishing, general outdoors.

But the vast majority of men in my life care about none of those things.

Most of my male friends are into history, computer gaming, technology, bicycling, beer, sci-fi, books, motorcycles, and cooking. Yes, I'm a nerd and therefore my male friends are generally also nerds.

While I don't generally have trouble making cards for my male friends and family, I do grow tired of the stereotypes that say men must like certain things, and not other things. I wish certain images were easier to find, like technology and science themes.

Yes, I know my subset of friends is a bit out of the ordinary, but I wonder if anyone else has trouble with the traditional masculine themes just not being appropriate for the men in their lives.
I have the same problem I make cards and sell them and all my customers who are looking for male card say the same thing. I wish someone out there in the design teams would do something about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Just remembered, Oxford Impressions has some NICE Masculine stamps here:
Oxford Impressions by oxfordimpressions on Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find many images using Google. When on the Google homepage click on Images. Then type in the search box what you are looking for & add the word "clipart". For example, I typed airplane clipart. Hundreds of images appear. You can copy the images & paste it into MS Word or a photoshop program and size it & even color it then print it out for your card. You can fussy cut it or you can cut it with a die cut as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #50  
Cardstock Collector

Default Thanks for that

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I find many images using Google. When on the Google homepage click on Images. Then type in the search box what you are looking for & add the word "clipart". For example, I typed airplane clipart. Hundreds of images appear. You can copy the images & paste it into MS Word or a photoshop program and size it & even color it then print it out for your card. You can fussy cut it or you can cut it with a die cut as well.
I have found a couple of images in the past doing that but to be honest it hasn't crossed my mind lately. I have a grand calibur so could do some fancy cutting with that... I got the images through word and they weren't that brilliant but never thought of doing it through google there will be a lot more there thanks for that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #51  
Embossing Fanatic

Kraftin Kimmie has some good male stamps too...one in particular is my favorite, Sherlock Holmes. She also has robot stamps Batteries not included, canine capers, smells like teen spirit, etc.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #52  
Hardware Hotshot

Alexis! What are the Sherlock Holmes stamps under on her site? My son would GO NUTS over that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Sorry if you got this twice but it looks like it didn't post.
Thank you for the info but I am in the Uk a bit far to go for stamps.. having said that I have been to the States a few times and I filled a suitcase with crafting goodies.. how I got through customs here heaven alone knows... I was there last year and filled up with Spellbinder dies as they are so much cheaper there.
Gloria
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

I find that since I don't have hunters, fishermen, cowboys or typical sports types among the men I send cards to (imagine that when I live in Oregon where that is all typical), that I just use the stamps I love that are not frilly---cattails, weeds, leaves, trees, nautical, windmills, owls, eagles, architecture, music or design---and use subdued or neutral colors and texture. That being said, I like texture background stamps or no image stamps. Sometimes a great dry embossed card is perfect. A background technique done in masculine colors with a great design, or just a great greeting will often do the trick. Hope you get inspiration from the few I have attached.
Attached Thumbnails
"Masculine" themes-double-ep.jpg   "Masculine" themes-copper.jpg   "Masculine" themes-folder.jpg   "Masculine" themes-cb-patterned.jpg   "Masculine" themes-bricks.jpg  

"Masculine" themes-acetate.jpg   "Masculine" themes-4-scraps.jpg   "Masculine" themes-brads.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #55  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
Alexis! What are the Sherlock Holmes stamps under on her site? My son would GO NUTS over that one!
HERE is the link to her blog post about her literature line.

HERE is a link to a card I made with Sherlock Holmes. He has to be my favorite.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #56  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just held a workshop that centered on Guy Cards - a challenge, even on a good day. We focused on textures, colors and simpler layouts (repetion, patterns, etc). It was fun and everyone loved the cards they left with. These cards can actually be fun to make when you approach them with a different mindset. Try not to focus on the image, as much as the design and texture of it all! Don't give up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU ALEXIS!!!!!!!! HE'S SUPER CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your card looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW our son & my husband, BOTH would like this stamp!!!!!!! What a CUTE SITE!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #58  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
THANK YOU ALEXIS!!!!!!!! HE'S SUPER CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your card looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW our son & my husband, BOTH would like this stamp!!!!!!! What a CUTE SITE!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
No problem at all!!! I am in love with her stamps!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #59  
Embossing Fanatic

I had the same problem with cards for men until I found some really good digital images at Mo's Digital Pencil. There are images of men bar-b-cuing, working with tool boxes, fishing, playing computer games, etc. Check it out, I think it will help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexissmithView Post
HERE is the link to her blog post about her literature line.

HERE is a link to a card I made with Sherlock Holmes. He has to be my favorite.
Another for the list!!! We have the Basil Rathbone movies on DVD. DH would love this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the thing to remember is there is no set rules for masculine cards any more than there is set rules to feminine cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #62  
Cardstock Collector

hey yes so true I usually download a pic off the net that he likes,eg gaming shots,tv shows,bikes,cars,etc then print onto photo paper mount on card with a frame&some stud like brads also use a dry embossing folder that has a checker plate design,or some paper from kaiser craft that has a camo design as background,this works well for young boys7-10 years old like my 2 boys
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tetrisView Post

What a great variety of stamps for men from both stores. I even found a stamp of the 3 Stooges at the Victorine Originals which I know will be perfect for one of my male relatives. Thanks so much for sharing these stores
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:28 PM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Victorine Originals!!!!!!!!!! What an INTERESTING store!!!!!! I found stamp sets I'd NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!!!!!!! (ESPECIALLY for Masculine cards!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #65  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I would love to find stamp sets of Star Wars, Star Trek, James Bond, super heroes, Big Bang Theory, etc.

Did find some fun ideas out there though...several are people's Pinterest boards
Mens Card Ideas
Men's Card Ideas
Men's Card ideas
Mens card ideas
Taking Time To Create: Technique Tuesday: Men's Birthday Card {Masking Tape Layering}
https://pinterest.com/susanfromtexas...r-men-s-cards/

Last edited by bound4london; 03-20-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

Oh and I love these stamps. Bare red rubber, wonderful images.
Products / Sparkle Creations Rubber Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #67  
Glitter Queen

I like to use my clock stamps to make a masculine card. Then I print out a sentiment
on my computer with something like "It's that time again" or "Time flies" referring
to getting older. These always turn out well. If I get really stuck, I find a good photo of the male, copy it on my computer using cardstock and turn it into something funny on the card front. (i.e. birthday hat, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #68  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 242 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmajeanView Post
I like to use my clock stamps to make a masculine card. Then I print out a sentiment
on my computer with something like "It's that time again" or "Time flies" referring
to getting older. These always turn out well. If I get really stuck, I find a good photo of the male, copy it on my computer using cardstock and turn it into something funny on the card front. (i.e. birthday hat, etc.)
Yes, clocks are a good one---for women as well, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #69  
Matboard Maniac

I do tend to think we all over think manly cards. Really, what guy is going to notice if there are lots of layers or just the right embellishments? (For that matter what non-stamper?) I know we all want our best but sit back and look and check out the cards in stores. I always wander the card isles if I'm waiting for a prescription or need to kill some time. IF I see something I like I take a picture on my phone. If you are having problems, search through some on galleries and make a few in advance and then just mail them. Remember, it's a guy, most are just thinking it's the thought or wow they remembered.
I'm lucky, we ride horse and like the great outdoors but my son is a nerd although he loves oriental things so I use those stamps for him. No hunting or fishing or golf for us though.
I would like to get some sci-fi/Star Trek/star Wars stamps too. Hope some companies are listening.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #70  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by dharmajeanView Post
Awesome idea!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

WONDERFUL IDEAS!!!!!!!! When I do cards with BATMAN (Super hero) for our son, I have to use STICKERS! Mario would be a SUPER rubber stamp too!!!! You'd THINK these companies would come out with them! MAYBE, they're afraid they'll loose $$$$!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

Copyright issues with anything licensed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:14 PM   #73  
Hardware Hotshot

YEP! TOO BAD they can't use that copyright to make the stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks everyone - I found some great ideas, even though I have a family of fishermen, hunters and golfers - but variety is always good!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I made a card for my sons young male teacher who likes video games using a mini gamer set by PTI! If I am really in a pickle and don't know what to use I try retro images like those circle within a circle images but the inner circle is offset not centered, KWIM? And an asterisk type star with one point longer than the others and dots on the ends? Retro 60s. Those are cool. Make good background and accents on sentiment panels. Geeks and scifi guys can appreciate those types of images.

Or beach/lighthouse images, who doesn't like the beach even if it is only for a date or to drink beers! Or I use masc. papers and just a sentiment. I find it most difficult when I don't know someone well. CAS works best so don't overcomplicate it.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:36 PM   #76  
Insane Embellisher

I just ordered this complete set. It is wonderful to use for masculine cards. I have used the tree numerous times...I love it!
Heartfelt Creations | Western Bronco PreCut Set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:43 PM   #77  
Insane Embellisher

This is the card that made me buy the set...
Relax by AngelicaTurner - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

A few blogs that do CAS/unisex well IMHO Hope that helps.

Simplicity (of course as I post, the first card is flowery! LOL!)

Soapbox Creations

*Fill Your Paper With The Breathings of Your {Heart}*

MASKerade

Oh, Smudge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM   #79  
Hardware Hotshot

OH! I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the "Soapbox Creations!" LOL IT'S PERFECT for an Electrician!!!! (WISH I'd thought of it! ) You REALLY DO NEED to know the person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

I find that one of the most important things you can do for a guy card is not necessarily the image. That IS important, but mine like it SIMPLE. I will never forget when in High School my grandson came over to have me make a card for a friend. We sat down by the computer and I said, "What does he like?" He said "baseball" and I could tell this was going good. We found a baseball image on line and put it on the front.

Then I said, "What do you want on the inside?" He turned and looked at me with a look I will never forget. His eyes were squinting with a questioning look that said, "Are you for real?" and he said, "Happy Birthday". And that was the end of the conversation (as far as he was concerned anyway. No fluff, no frills, no embellies, no sweet, cutsie little poem. Just HAPPY BIRTHDAY. And when DH makes a card for me, it's SIMPLE too.
Reply With Quote Likes