Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Markers & Pencils

Am considering getting markers and pencils. 
Would like some opinions about the different products.
Some brands I’m looking at are, Arteza, Prisma, & Copics.
Would like the best blendable ones. Would consider any others that you might also recommend. 
Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2020, 02:48 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Prisma pencils, and, considering I'm not much of a colouring person, I really like them. They have been so easy to blend, for the first time in my life, I'm actually enjoying colouring. I also bought a much cheaper box off Amazon, Zenacolor, and considering how much cheaper they were for a huge box, I find them perfectly acceptable.
 On markers, the only comment I can make, as I have Promarkers, which are the bigger brand over here, is that from what I see of Copics, they do have a huge colour and shade range,, and the shades are what is important. It is easier to blend well if you have a good range of lighter colours, which to me is the one area Promarkers fall down on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Copics are by far the standard for quality markers. They are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I would suggest you buy a few packs of 3 in the same color family.  The color families are defined with the letters and then the first digit of the number.  So, if you get 3 markers that are a few numbers apart but start with R2__, you would get reds that all blend together nicely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you use gamsol with the Zenacolor pencils?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recommend Faber Castell Polychromos for colored pencils, Copic Sketch or Ciao for alcohol markers and Zig Clean Color Brush pens for watercolor type markers.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2020, 02:53 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Copic Ciao are not marketed as refillable but they totally are - I have mostly Ciao because I like the nib configuration and the feel of the round barrel (rather than the oval of the Sketch). Yes there are cheaper alcohol markers out there and they may suit you - if you can find somewhere that you can try a few different types that would be perfect (a class, a local art supplies store). I’ve tried a few different brands and always come back to Copic. 

I started my Copic collection by buying colours for specific images. The thing to remember with any art supply is that you don’t need all of them instantly, you can build up gradually, spending a little every now and again. It also means that if you decide the brand/type doesn’t suit you after all, you haven’t blown a lot of money on it.  

I have Prismacolor and Polychromo and Derwent Coloursoft pencils (as well as a few other pencils that are random other things!) and am happy with the performance of each in terms of pigmentation and blendability. 

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Prismacolor pencils and love them. I've had them since I was in my teens, and I replace individual pencils as needed. They are prone to lead breakage if you drop them so you do need to be careful with them. Spend a couple $ and get a good manual pencil sharpener and that will help alleviate the issue a good deal. I find them to be easy to color with and blend, but practice always helps.

I would recommend a set of 36 or 48, depending on your budget. You will probably have all the colors you need right there and not need to add on. But if you do, keep track of where you'd like additional colors. I had a set of 24 initially and have added on a few pencils in green/pink/blue/brown as those are my most-used. Dick Blick has pretty good prices on the sets.

I have Copic sketch markers and also enjoy them. The paper you use really makes a difference. I was having a difficult time the first year or two of using them and considered selling them. Until I realized I was using the wrong paper. They are pricey, but I've had mine about 10 years and have only replaced three individual markers. That said, if you do invest- PRACTICE! You will probably be frustrated at first unless you're used to other alcohol markers.

I had Spectrum Noirs and just couldn't get comfortable with them. I found the barrels to feel clunky and I didn't like the way they laid color down nor how they blended. I know some others love them, but I sold mine and have no regrets.

I have Arteza real brush pens, which aren't their markers but are watercolor brush tip pens. I know you were referring to their markers, but I've had no issues with the pens and am glad I bought them. The prices were less than half what the other companies were charging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
I have Prismacolor pencils and love them. I've had them since I was in my teens, and I replace individual pencils as needed. They are prone to lead breakage if you drop them so you do need to be careful with them. Spend a couple $ and get a good manual pencil sharpener and that will help alleviate the issue a good deal. I find them to be easy to color with and blend, but practice always helps.

I would recommend a set of 36 or 48, depending on your budget. You will probably have all the colors you need right there and not need to add on. But if you do, keep track of where you'd like additional colors. I had a set of 24 initially and have added on a few pencils in green/pink/blue/brown as those are my most-used. Dick Blick has pretty good prices on the sets.

I have Copic sketch markers and also enjoy them. The paper you use really makes a difference. I was having a difficult time the first year or two of using them and considered selling them. Until I realized I was using the wrong paper. They are pricey, but I've had mine about 10 years and have only replaced three individual markers. That said, if you do invest- PRACTICE! You will probably be frustrated at first unless you're used to other alcohol markers.

I had Spectrum Noirs and just couldn't get comfortable with them. I found the barrels to feel clunky and I didn't like the way they laid color down nor how they blended. I know some others love them, but I sold mine and have no regrets.

I have Arteza real brush pens, which aren't their markers but are watercolor brush tip pens. I know you were referring to their markers, but I've had no issues with the pens and am glad I bought them. The prices were less than half what the other companies were charging.

whoistracy, I’ve seen the Arteza real brush pens online. At some point I may get something like that as they also interest me. I just wish there was someplace near that I could see them in person. Can’t seem to find any place around here that carries Arteza.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 04:47 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

I haven't used Arteza but I suggest you sign up for their newsletter because they have sales all the time. They are having or just had 30% off in the last few days. They have alcohol and watercolor markers and colored pencils.

I suggest looking at Sandy Allnock's blog and YouTube for suggestions on Copics, colored pencils, and watercolors. She has suggestions for Copic color blending combinations and the Human Rainbow skin and hair colors so you don't have to guess about what to buy. Purchasing her Copic Hex Chart is a good idea, too, and she has charts for colored pencils and watercolors, too. Jenn Shurkus (creative chick) has good Copics color blending suggestions in her Copics 101 video.

I love my Copics Sketch markers and Zig Clear Color brush markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 04:36 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have many cheaper sets of colored pencils. But this Christmas I spoiled my self with Prismas. But I really like my Arteza set. Enough I purchased largest set of both the regular and watercolor ones. Gave the smaller sets to a budding you artist at church. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If you can decide on some basic colors of Copics you can get them at Michaels using a coupon.  They don't carry them all but they have a good selection.  Keep an eye on their website too because they will run specials there like percentages off your total purchase.  I like their buy online/pickup in store option a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:12 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love my Prisma pencils, they blend beautifully.  Copics are the Cadillac of markers of course.  But I just placed an order for the Arteza alcohol markers, so I'll let you know what I think.  Good luck with your decision.  It also has a bit to do with which techniques you plan to use them for too.....watching a few videos on your favorite techniques using different products may help.  
My SCS Gallery: Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:23 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

In the past I have only used Copic markers. I was a total Copic groupie. Then I saw these on (Shutte Art) amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078S2MVR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I took a chance and bought the set for a measly $20.00.  WOW. These are just as good as copic if you are starting out.  I will say this, with Copic you can refill the markers and buy new nibs. Refills last for a LONG time and it will be quite a while before you need to buy a new refill.  I don't know how much ink is in the knock-off markers compared to the Copic markers because I only just bought them before Christmas. That said, if you are just starting out and want to try alcohol / blendable inks - go with the link I sent. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:26 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Default My favorite - Arteza

Hi!  May I suggest the Arteza brand?  I have tried all sorts of watercolor pencils, and I have to say that the Arteza brand is my overall favorite.  I have had several expensive sets, but always end up back with the Arteza brand.  They are so crisp, and blend so nice.  If possible, I'd go that direction.  I am talking about watercolor pencils. I haven't tried there colored.  I do agree you sign up for email.  I have bought several times on their site with coupons.  They are good about it.  Hope that helps!

Visit my blog: www.abracardabra.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I don’t usually reply to much in the forums, but I read them to get ideas and feedback. However, I want to say regarding pencils and markers. I have purchased several different brands of markers and watercolor pencils: Stampin UP!, Altenew Artist Markers, Arteza, etc. By far, the Copic Markers are the best. I have either sold or given away all my other brands, and am now building up my Copic color palette. Someone on here said, “remember you don’t need them all at once” Start with the basics and add from there. Just a tip, keep an inventory of the colors you have already purchased so you don’t purchase the same ones again. 
For Watercolor pencils, which is what I use, I love the Prima brand, and they come in sets that can be purchased for a reasonable price.
I wish you luck, and have fun trying new coloring techniques and brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

For colored pencils remember Prismacolor pencils are wax based and Polychromo pencils are oil based, try getting a few of each in open stock to try out before committing to a big purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 11:54 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post
For colored pencils remember Prismacolor pencils are wax based and Polychromo pencils are oil based, try getting a few of each in open stock to try out before committing to a big purchase.

ITA with this idea. Michaels and Hobby Lobby have open stock. 

I adore my Prismacolor pencils. I love the results and it's fun to color and feel like I'm six years old again. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 12:45 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Optic is my go to...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
If you can decide on some basic colors of Copics you can get them at Michaels using a coupon.  They don't carry them all but they have a good selection.  Keep an eye on their website too because they will run specials there like percentages off your total purchase.  I like their buy online/pickup in store option a lot.

I love my copics because of the way they blend.  I have gotten them at Hobby Lobby and Amazon.
The one thing I would do is go to the copic web site so you understand how their colors letter/number system works.  I would also print off their chart so you can fill in the colors as you get them. Finally, I would get the same color family by purchasing them every 3. Colors apart.  I found when I got the color right next to another, a lot of times there was not a  big color difference, and if I needed it I could always go back and purchase it later.
One more thing....use HIGH QUALITY paper, it makes a huge difference on blending colors!
I use the prism color pencils and do like them, but I use my copics more then anything because they blend so beautifully!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy08View Post
Am considering getting markers and pencils. 
Would like some opinions about the different products.
Some brands I’m looking at are, Arteza, Prisma, & Copics.
Would like the best blendable ones. Would consider any others that you might also recommend. 
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

Copic markers are the only way to go. Check on e-bay and some used craft supply website like Jeannie Payne that sells Copic for new at $4.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 02:49 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I agree Copics are by far the best.  I'm not familiar with Ebay sellers but I have been pleased with both Ellen Hutson and Blick. Both carry Copics at a good discount and are well known online stores with good reputations and stand behind the products they sell.

If you decide to try Copics, I strongly recommend taking Sandy Allnock's Copic Jumpstart class (art-classes.com) and, as another commentor said, you have to practice, and practice some more.  Following Sandy Allnock and Elaine Hughes (Marker Geek) on You Tube can give you great insight into Copic uses and blends, plus Sandy does a lot of colored pencil and watercolor videos too.

One more You Tube recommendation is Copic in the Classroom.  They have a vast array of free classes introducing one to Copic  basics.  

Splitcoast Color Challenge Design Team

Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Visit my blog: www.stefperry.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 06:09 PM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Thanks so much for all the responses to my question about markers and color pencils. I really appreciate all of them and will continue to read any more that are posted. I’m getting good information here. When I finally do buy, I’m going to try some of your suggestions. 
Copic can be bought in open stock, right? Thought I would try a few colors to get the feel of them and see how they work. Are there any other markers that are sold in open stock? 
How about the color pencils / water color pencils?
Again, thank you all so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils are fabulous! The transformation when you brush what you've colored with water and a paintbrush is magical. I got mine at Dick Blick, sign up for emails- there are always promos for % off and free shipping. Blick carries a lot of brands and is great to deal with. I also bought Caran D'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons from Blick- haven't used them much, but got a great deal.
Seriously, the Inktense watercolor pencils look terrific, used on these cards in my gallery:

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2899676?&cat=500&
ppuser=106517

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2764114?&cat=500&ppuser=106517

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2747078?&cat=500&ppuser=106517

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2745297?&cat=500&ppuser=106517

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 06:30 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Jean Payne sells all new Copic Markers for $4.00 on many of the craft resale or sale websites.  I ordered these from her and reasonable shipping.  Alot cheaper than most places around $7-8.  Also, Bricks sells the refills and around $5.00 that can fill a Copic Marker about 4-5 times.  A while back, many sold Copic Markers on e-bay fairly cheap but now only needing a few at a time, I buy from Jean.  Don't know how she gets them so cheap to sell.  Many stamp companies show how to color their stamp images and they use Copic Markers.  If you don't have a large number of Copic Markers, watch a variety of these U-Tube videos to get an idea what colors to get since there are over a hundred to select.  I tried other markers but not good as Copic by a long shot.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2020, 10:08 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils are fabulous! The transformation when you brush what you've colored with water and a paintbrush is magical

They are but anyone considering different pencils should be aware that Inktense don’t behave like regular watercolour pencils - once it’s dried, the colour is permanent so you can’t do things like “lift” colour with a wet brush to create highlights, layering a second colour over the top won’t reactivate the colour underneath and so on. My dad just bought some to experiment with and as someone who’s worked with traditional watercolours in the past I think he’s finding the differences really interesting!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2020, 05:09 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin"T"View Post
Can you use gamsol with the Zenacolor pencils?
 Sorry, just seen this. Yes, you can. I actually use a blender called Zest-It, which has a lovely grapefruit scent to it. I'd also say that I've seen a lot of experienced colourists recommend using a blending solution rather than the blending pencils. Apparently, when you use a blending pencil, you cannot go back and add more colour/shading, as the blender has added  too much of a waxy layer, but if you use a blending solution, you still have the ability to go back and add colour, so thats a useful tip. I have some very small pots with lids, and I put some blending solution onto a cotton wool ball and put it in the pot. Been in there for months now, and still has plenty of solution in it. I did it mainly because I knew I'd end up knocking the bottle over, lol, but it's a great solution for it. I've also used small paint brushes to apply blending solution, as well as paper stumps, and both work well. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #27  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post

Sorry, just seen this. Yes, you can. I actually use a blender called Zest-It, which has a lovely grapefruit scent to it. I'd also say that I've seen a lot of experienced colourists recommend using a blending solution rather than the blending pencils. Apparently, when you use a blending pencil, you cannot go back and add more colour/shading, as the blender has added  too much of a waxy layer, but if you use a blending solution, you still have the ability to go back and add colour, so thats a useful tip. I have some very small pots with lids, and I put some blending solution onto a cotton wool ball and put it in the pot. Been in there for months now, and still has plenty of solution in it. I did it mainly because I knew I'd end up knocking the bottle over, lol, but it's a great solution for it. I've also used small paint brushes to apply blending solution, as well as paper stumps, and both work well. 

I use this too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #28  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by noahenholmView Post
I am a M.F.A. and artist who works for a famous mouse.

Fun
Reply With Quote Likes