Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Many people get published?

Hi I am going to try to submit to some magazines.
I was wondering who has gotten published and what magazines?

I am hoping to submit some in the coming week.
Should I?

Please tell me what you think?

Tanya
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by taniwolfView Post
I am hoping to submit some in the coming week.
Should I?
Why not? If you'd like to see your work in print the only way it's going to happen is if you try submitting! Be prepared to be met with silence a lot of the time (most mags do not send rejection notices, they just don't get back to you if they don't want to pick up your project) but be aware that it doesn't necessarily mean your project is not of publishable quality - it just means it doesn't fit what that publication is looking for right now.

I've had things picked up for Crafts n Things, Paper Crafts and Cardmaker so far. I think the best thing you can do is to look at the various magazines and see where your style "fits" and then look to see whether they have calls out at the moment. Don't forget they're working months ahead (so they're more likely to be looking for Easter projects about now, not Christmas projects).

Good luck!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with Joanne...well said...

I have been published twice in Australian Paperarts, after being specifically contacted by the editor...and basically being talked into it. My experiences were not just for cards though..I was writing articles along with the cards.

The one thing that is narky to me is a lot of publishers do not send your artwork BACK to you.....even if you were to provide a stamped return envelope.

I have been asked to submit again....been encouraged to submit by others...but guess I am a bit lazy with the idea.

Good luck and get prepared for that deafening silence.....all contributors experience that silence at some stage!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Thank you ladies. This is most encouraging. I'll try not to stalk the magazines after i submit. I have been looking at all the magazines saying i can do that!

Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I started submitting regularly about 3 months ago and have since been picked up for Paper Crafts Magazine, Cards Magazine, Embellish Magazine, and Scrapbook News and Review.

Here are some tips I find to be helpful:

1. Submit only your best work. If there is a tiny thing off on your card, the editors can see it and will pass you up. Your submitted work should only be your very best!

2. Take great pictures! Make it easy for the magazine to see you have an awesome card with a good picture. A lot of people recommend using the macro setting when taking pictures. Natural light is good too. If you take pics at night a lot (like me), use a photo tent or an Ott light - both work wonders! Look into getting a photo editing software. For mac users, iPhoto works great. Gimp is a program that is free to d/l and works for both PCs and Macs.

3. Know the magazine you are submitting to. Do your research and read through a couple issues of the magazine you want to submit to. Does your style match the flow of the magazine? Do the stamps your using fit in with other stamps in the magazine? Make sure you stay true to yourself and the style you love.

4. If you do decide to submit, make sure to keep good notes on all the products you've used! If you get picked up, they want to know every detail: manufacturer, collection/line, color, etc.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2009, 01:42 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, I have to know: Are you nervous when you submit? I think I would be terrified that they would look at my work and start to laugh...maybe even call me to let me hear them laugh (OK, I am being a little over-dramatic there...) Still, I don't think I could take the pressure! To those of you who are braver souls than I, I would like to say thank you for the inspiration you provide to the ninnies and sissies out there, like me, who won't submit work.

P.S. I don't even have a gallery here because I am such a ninny and sissy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

I submitted to Just Cards!
I did four cards. I am hoping i get into it.
I was some of my best work.
When i get a chance i will try to upload to the gallery. When i figure out that is LOL
Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

i agree with the above posts - great advice. i have hsd items in crafts n things and card maker. i rarely have time to submit but really want to submit more. i did get lots of rejections and silence too but i really don't take it personal. they get hundreds of submittals and just have to narrow it down. there can be many reasons for narrowing things down.

i also think it is helpful to be sure you are submitting stuff in keeping with their requested subject matter and themes for each editorial time frame.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Question

These are great tips! Thanks! I have a couple more questions :rolleyes:

How many are you submitting to each mag at a time?

Do you just send any of your cards you think are "worthy" or do you only submit those that are being asked for?

Also, do you email the photos to the editors, or sending in the actual card??

Thanks for your help!
My Blog --> Everlasting Ink
I design for Heartfelt Creations
My Pinterest boards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Hi I am sending in cards to their theme( or what is been in their magazine)
You have to see what magazine takes what, either photos and/or cards.
Be sure to read what they take.

I am sending a couple at a time. It gives them more of a selection from me to make a decision to accept.
Take care
Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

You should definitely give it a go!

Paper Crafts has a call that ends on Monday- http://papercraftsconnection.com/submit-your-work/

Just be true to what you like and let it happen. It is hard to anticipate what the editors are looking for...they need to balance the cards with the submissions they get. Sometimes I am amazed that my 'favorite' card isn't picked up and then they want another card that I didn't like as much.

My Blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsapassionView Post

Do you just send any of your cards you think are "worthy" or do you only submit those that are being asked for?

Thanks for your help!
I tend to submit A LOT but make sure they match the call. Different magazines have different submission guidelines, some even limit the number that you can submit. Some require you submit virtually and then they will request your card if it is accepted and other companies just have you send in your cards and then you wait to see what they publish. Most publications have a website that describes their publication guidelines so you can be certain that you are following them.

My Blog
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Something I wondered about- if you send in a card and it's not selected, what do they do with them? They must get hundreds more than they can use.
Also, if you send in your card, you don't get it back. Are you free to make another one the same for submission to another magazine? Or to sell?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #14  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

To the OP It's always worth sending some in. If it's seasonal, send well in advance, several months. If there has been a technique featured in the magazine, use it!
Make a note of what you have sent to whom, so that you don't accidentally send the same thing to two places.
I sent an email submission to one magazine, and 8 months later gave up and sent it to another - and then they both published the card.
Elaine, I don't know what they do with them (hoping they use them for a charity or something), but if they don't publish then certainly the design is still yours to sell. But as with my first point, it's hard to decide for sure WHEN they are not going to publish - it can be anything up to a year, and the first I've ever known is when a free magazine drops through the letterbox, or someone else tells me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Different magazines do different things so always check out their guidelines.

For those who want the actual card as a submission - some will give you the option to include return postage if you want the card back. If you don't take up that option, most of them donate cards to charities - again, that info is usually in their guidelines so if it's an important factor in you deciding where to submit then just check those out.

For those who take photo submissions and request the actual project if they want to pick it up, they often ask whether you want it returned once they're done with the photography. My experience has been that the return is at their expense, you're not expected to include return postage in those cases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislandwomanView Post
Also, if you send in your card, you don't get it back. Are you free to make another one the same for submission to another magazine? Or to sell?
See comment above about the option to have it returned to you given by many publications. As Sabrina said, the problem here is knowing when it's safe to assume your project has not been picked up. The places I've submitted do send acceptance notices so you know for sure if you've been accepted and after a couple of months if you haven't heard anything you can assume it's a "no". Many markets don't do that though - they just send you the contributor's copy with your project in it and that might well be the first you know about it. That could be a year or more past the time you submitted. The only place I've come across that sends "thanks but no thanks" notes is CardMaker.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 02:24 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I submit mostly to Just Cards and Scrap and Stamp. I always send in TONS at one time and then they can pick what they want for which issue. Don't be sad if you don't get published right away. Sometimes it has taken a whole year to get published and i had forgotten I had made the cards. LOL

good luck!

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 02:58 AM   #17  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmbcView Post
Sometimes I am amazed that my 'favorite' card isn't picked up and then they want another card that I didn't like as much.
Oh I know what you mean. That has happened to me so many times and it's really boggling!

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 04:57 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I totally agree with what everyone else has said so far. But I would like to add that you should not take rejection personally. Just be sure to do your research and submit your best work! Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I am always on pins and needles when I submit! My friends know not to bother me around call notification time...lol!

That being said, like Ryann, I've been accepted for publication by Paper Crafts, CARDS, Embellish Magazine, and Scrapbook News & Review.

-Definitely do your research
-Find a magazine that suits your style
-Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need clarity about a call
-Send for specific calls
-Keep a supply list and try to use current product

Best of luck! It took me a year of submitting off and on to be accepted. I started trying a lot 6 months ago and wasn't picked up for a while. So, don't lose heart. NEVER GIVE UP! If it's something you really want, be patient and grow a thick skin!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 07:28 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

You can submit as many as you like, but if they're random, as opposed to within the parameters/guidelines of their call, they are probably less likely to get picked up because they are looking for projects that come as close as possible to meeting their editorial needs, which is why they issued the call in the first place. ;)

Quote:

*chuckle* Well, that's entirely a subjective call; what you may consider "worthy" may not be what the editor is looking for, and what you consider "unworthy" may be just what the editor happens to need. There's no way of knowing.

Try to meet the parameters of the call, in your very best quality, in the style suited to the publication, by deadline.

Quote:

Do your homework by going to the websites of magazines you want to submit to and read their submissions guidelines. Every magazine is different. ;) Some want jpgs via email and others want the actual sample.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Wouldn't hurt to try! I submitted to Take Ten, it was my first time and I got published. Don't wait to get notified though. They didn't send the free mag. like they said I just stumbled across it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

When the mag calls for "unpublished" work, do they mean unpublished in another magazine or does that include uploading to to SCS (or some other gallery, blog, etc.)? I still see a lot of "removed for publication" posts in some people's gallery. Is posting to SCS considered a publication?
My Blog --> Everlasting Ink
I design for Heartfelt Creations
My Pinterest boards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

When the mag calls for "unpublished" work, do they mean unpublished in another magazine or does that include uploading to to SCS (or some other gallery, blog, etc.)? I still see a lot of "removed for publication" posts in some people's gallery. Is posting to SCS considered a publication?
It varies - some mean "never seen" and others mean never published in a magazine (either print or online) - check with the publication if in doubt. Most are fine with it if you remove it from your blog and any online galleries if it gets picked up. Personally, I just find it difficult to keep track of where I might have uploaded a picture so I don't upload anything I'm submitting so I don't have to worry about whether I've removed them all. I can always share it later if it doesn't get picked up.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Unpublished in print. With many print mags, it is not kosher to submit the same thing simultaneously to multiple publications, nor to submit something already previously published in print elsewhere (particularly if the magazine compensates for its exclusivity).

As far as online, more and more publications are requiring that you remove your submissions from online if they accept it, so that they can have it exclusively, which is understandable; why would anyone purchase a print magazine to see something already freely available online?

Some mags will permit you to repost it online, once a certain period of time has passed and the print pub has been pulled from the retail racks.

I usually never post a work online if I intend to submit it for publication, for various reasons, including preserving its exclusivity as much as possible, should it be accepted.

I typically only post them online when I determine that I'm not going to try re-submitting it elsewhere (if it has been previously rejected).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinmomnhView Post
Wouldn't hurt to try! I submitted to Take Ten, it was my first time and I got published. Don't wait to get notified though. They didn't send the free mag. like they said I just stumbled across it.
If you did not receive your free issue from Take Ten by the time that issue appears on the bookstore shelves, just give them a call and let them know. They can correct this for you easily. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Smile

I am up to six cards submitted to Just cards, I also
sent two to Take Ten.
Hoping to submit more.
Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

: ) It makes me smile that so many people have been published!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

The recent issue of Scrap and Stamp arts is on the shelves.
Looking forward to the next issue of Just cards.
Who knows, i might be in it.
Thinking positive thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2009, 06:30 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I am glad you chose to submit. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting up the nerve to submit.

I have been published in Crafts n Things, Cardmaker, PaperCrafts, Cards, Scrapbook Trends, Scrap n Stamp, Just Cards! , Paper Creations. I think the number one thing to remember is that editors are putting together print publications---so often the reason that something is selected over another equally good project is because it fits with the page/layout/color scheme. There are lots of reasons why things are accepted---and there are tons of submitted projects that are NOT selected each month that are amazing too!

You cannot have thin skin or you will end up feeling sad and that really defeats the purpose of submitting!

Another thing to remember is that not all publications pay---some pay money, some pay in product, some send you a free issue and some just accept the submission and that is it. Also, the publications all vary in style. Some print a variety. Some are mostly scrappy cards/projects. Some magazines feature the same style throughout and you can find this out by visiting a bookstore and perusing all the publications and deciding where your style fits in before submitting. This will help greatly becasue you will really increase your chances of success if you first find a good fit.

A few magazines are now wanting cards that have never been posted ANYWERE but many will allow you to submit cards posted on your blog as long as you remove them if they are accepted. It will be interesting to see where this trend goes.

My fingers are crossed for you hoping you find out some good news soon. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 07:21 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinmomnhView Post
I had the same thing happen to me. I would have known that I had cards published if a friend didn't tell me. Now I try to check at the bookstore just to make sure ;)
A Muse Studio Consultant #1021
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #32  

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I'm a little on the greedy side because I wouldn't submit to someplace if I didn't get SOMETHING for my efforts....even if it was only a free issue of the publication.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I had a set of placecards and a card published in Cards magazine..think it was Oct and Nov of 2008. It is really fun to see your projects in print!
Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with your guidelines Rayann

I've been published about 34 times in the last 24 months. Never gets old!

Another thing, not only do your best work, but unless you have a project that is long and complicated, you should keep your instructions simple and easy to understand. When you type them up, its a great idea to ask some one to look over them to see if they under stand them. Get to submitting! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #35  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by CammieView Post
A few magazines are now wanting cards that have never been posted ANYWERE but many will allow you to submit cards posted on your blog as long as you remove them if they are accepted. It will be interesting to see where this trend goes.
I noticed that, too, Cammie.

I'm actually kinda surprised they haven't required that sooner, and that more of them haven't required that--especially the ones that compensate, UKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I got Published!!!!!! I got a issue of Scrap & Stamp Arts today in the mail.Its the March issue.
They published a card in the Section for simple and quick cards from Readers.

I am so happy!!!!

So for the people out there KEEP TRYING!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I got Published!!!!!! I got a issue of Scrap & Stamp Arts today in the mail.Its the March issue.

I am so happy!!!!

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!
GREAT NEWS.

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

Congrats! What page are you on so we can look for your card?

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

yay for you!!! I have had some pretty good luck when submitting, i tend to get picked up when ever i do it, but my biggest problem is ACTUALLY GETTING OFF MY BUTT and filling out the forms.. I find it takes SO long to sit down, type everything out in every column, type out the directions blah blah blah..

what i have found is that papercrafts pick up my "clean and simple" cards! And really when you look at the magazine the cards are well-designed, clean lines, and not too fussy. none of my cards that i have taken HOURS to colour the image have ever been picked up!! so... i really think about what the mag. publishes when I submit, not just my BEST cards. cause some of my best cards are too frou-frou, you know??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I am so happy!!!!

Yay - congrats to you :cool:

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes