Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making envelopes

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but ....

What is the easiest way to make envelopes? Normal size for cards, not square or legal or anything requiring additional postage. Is there a tool or just dimensions? Help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2020, 11:39 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a tool that makes it easier, but you can make them without it. Kristina Werner loves to make and decorate envelopes (gorgeous!) and has a few YouTube videos to demonstrate. If you have an envie that is the size you like, you can carefully take it apart and use it as a template. Once you get the feel for how you want your envelope to look, you can make your own templates for whatever size you want. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

I bought the WRMK 3 in 1 envelope punch board a couple of years ago and wish I'd bought it much earlier! Before that, this was my go-to tutorial: Any Size Envelope Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

I'd also agree with the suggestion of opening up an envelope you have and using it as a template.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Never thought of that

Quote:

There is a tool that makes it easier, but you can make them without it. Kristina Werner loves to make and decorate envelopes (gorgeous!) and has a few YouTube videos to demonstrate. If you have an envie that is the size you like, you can carefully take it apart and use it as a template. Once you get the feel for how you want your envelope to look, you can make your own templates for whatever size you want. HTH

I never thought of making my own template! Brilliant. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2020, 12:31 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I bought the WRMK 3 in 1 envelope punch board a couple of years ago and wish I'd bought it much earlier! Before that, this was my go-to tutorial: Any Size Envelope Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers

I'd also agree with the suggestion of opening up an envelope you have and using it as a template.

I was looking at this tool but could not figure out how it works. I assumed the manufacturer would have a video on their site but I didn’t see one. I have not checked out you tube yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the WRMK punch board, too, but there's a young woman on YouTube, Jenny Card Designs, who has videos and templates to make what she calls Jen-velopes, which are free downloadables and easy to follow:-Xtw6Q
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Envelope Punch Board

I love the we r memory keepers envelope punch board! I can literally make any size envelope in a minute (although there is a limit on how big, but big enough to fit most cards). Once you get the hang of it it is super simple to use. A suggestion....go to Staples copy department and buy ledger paper. They will sell you as many sheets as you want. You don't have to buy a whole package. This will allow you to make slightly larger envelopes. Also the “envelope generator” app is an awesome tool. You can just input your card dimensions and it will tell you the size of paper needed for the envelope to fit the card.
I think there is also an updated version of the punch board, now, that does even more things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #8  

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I also recommend the WRMK 1-2-3 Punch Board. It's a fantastic and very versatile tool. Not only for envelopes, but also boxes & paper bows. But the best feature of it, imo, is the extending arm for scoring larger paper. The original Envelope Punch Board doesn't have that, and scoring for even A2 envelopes can be a bit dicey. You can also try the Template Maker site: Templatemaker.nl ✂︎ HOME. You can input the measurements for whatever envelope--or even box--you need, and it will generate a cutting template for you. I have never done that for envelopes, but have used it for pillow boxes. For that, since I knew I would use it more than once or twice, I just printed the template on plain copy paper, traced it onto quilting template plastic with an ultra-fine point Sharpie marker, and cut that out. I can just trace around it on the back side of my cardstock, cut, score, & fold/adhere. Not hard, though it is a bit of a time investment. If you plan to make lots of envelopes, I'd just go with the punch board. HTH!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2020, 03:38 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Most of the boards have all of the measurements, cutting directions, and scoring directions for lots of different sized cards printed right on the surface of the envelope boards.

Originally Posted by Cook22[IMG]//images.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/scs2/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]

I was looking at this tool but could not figure out how it works. I assumed the manufacturer would have a video on their site but I didn’t see one. I have not checked out you tube yet.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

I use WRMK board also. It looks confusing, but once you do it, it makes sense. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2020, 11:21 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Big Shot Pro dies for A2, A6, and A7 envelopes and some small square ones. The dies and machine are an investment if you make a lot of envelopes, but it's very fast and you can use printed paper without creating weird diagonals. I use the WRMK board for non-standard sizes, and the way it works makes using directional prints awkward. I tend to go online for the cutting/punching dimensions–the first board I had made some envelopes larger than they needed to be, and some of mine are larger than WRMK apparently imagined. I also have a drawer full of templates for more unusual envelopes, some of which were duplicated by one of my Cricut cartridges. (These days, I try to keep my stuff through the USPS as flat, bendable, legible, and standard as possible.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 09:15 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

I use Big Shot Pro dies for A2, A6, and A7 envelopes and some small square ones.

Sadly, they don't make these any more...sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but ....

What is the easiest way to make envelopes? Normal size for cards, not square or legal or anything requiring additional postage. Is there a tool or just dimensions? Help!

I make envelopes using my scoring board, but before that I just took apart an envelope, traced around it, and followed the folds to make my own. You can use the original envelope to make a template with an old cereal box cardboard etc, so you have it handy.

Making envelopes with those 12x12 papers that I don't care for anymore is a great way to use up old stash. I put the patterned part on the inside of the envelope, so the outside is plain for writing an address.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been debating whether to buy the WRMK envelope punch board over the years but don't know how much I would actually use it. On the other hand, I make almost all of my envelopes for cards, except for ones that I donate (because they require regular commercial envelopes. Trying to keep the tools at a minimum due to storage limitations but it's tempting!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #15  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Honestly, Karen, I don't think you'd regret it. I did get the 1-2-3 one with the extending arm because I'd seen it recommended as being easier to use than the first model. And I have used it for boxes, box envelopes and even a couple of bows. But most of all, it's left me much freer to make slightly odd sized cards and not worry about envelopes. I might have an A2 piece and not want to trim it, but feel that it needed a matting layer to look better. When I make an odd-size card now, I make the envelope for it before putting it in my shoebox, so that it's all ready to go. It's definitely one of the things I wish I'd got earlier than I did. I buy blocks of 12x12 at clearance prices in a store in the city where my sister lives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2020, 05:35 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 337 Likes on 211 Posts

Before the envelope punch board came along, there was a set of thin plastic templates called The Envelope Please - it doesn't seem to be available anymore which came with four standard sizes. Back in the day calligraphers used it to make envelopes from old calendars and wallpaper books. I got blank stencil sheets from Michaels and made a few other sizes - I use the  3x3 one often for gift cards and little thank you notes. I haven't quite figured out the env punch board yet, but I have a ready supply of envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I bought the WRMK 3 in 1 envelope punch board a couple of years ago and wish I'd bought it much earlier! Before that, this was my go-to tutorial: Any Size Envelope Tutorial - SplitcoaststampersI'd also agree with the suggestion of opening up an envelope you have and using it as a template.
Well this is embarrassing - I have that same Martha Stewart board! I forgot I had it. LOL Guess I should look around my craft area more before asking questions. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post

Well this is embarrassing - I have that same Martha Stewart board! I forgot I had it. LOL Guess I should look around my craft area more before asking questions. 
Ha!  But we have all done that...and bought duplicates too!  Enjoy making your envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sounds like you have several options given here. I LOVE my envelope punch board. I make all my envelopes with very few exceptions. It’s fast and easy with the punch board and I can make odd sizes if I need to. Typically I make A2. It has paid for itself in spades, I’m very pleased with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 07:31 AM   #20  
Embossing Fanatic

I haven’t been making my own envelopes but it sounds interesting. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I highly recommend it! You can easily customize the envelope with pretty papers and you have the ability to make just about any size with little effort. All the possibilities! Give it a try.
I do recommend getting an envelope making device. I tried the template route, just too tedious for me. I can whip an envelope out in a minute or so with my punch board. (Have to cut the right size paper.) Leaves more time for stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 11:18 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I make envelopes to fit A2 cards and have a stack of 8x8 papers that I use with my score board. Even took a marker and marked the score lines that work to make my envelopes, so I don't need to measure at all. I used a tutorial for the initial instructions and measurements but once I made one or two that way, I marked my scoring board and just mass produce envelopes when I want a mindless activity.  It's a great way to use those papers that I don't care for. Tried using a template originally, but my scoring board makes it much easier.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2020, 12:17 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ditto what Kizeka said. Have marked my board for A2 envies too. I use paper I would otherwise recycle. I will assembly line make them sometimes too. Go for it to anyone on the fence.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2020, 08:07 AM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Utube!

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
Quote:

Kristina Werner has a couple videos where she shows how to use the We are memory keepers 3 in 1 envelope and box maker. Recently she did a video that had a watercolor card done from a SSS stamp it was long vertical lines with leaves down the left side of the card. The card was in greens and blues. She also made an envelope out of watercolor paper and she showed how she did it. It was a live replay in August 2020 for her August capsule card #7

Long ago I bought a template that makes A2 envelopes. One of the things that is really helpful is having a piece of hard plastic sized to your envelope, that you can use to make the folds for your card. So, if you use an open envelope as your template use something even card board to fold your envelope around.

I was looking at this tool but could not figure out how it works. I assumed the manufacturer would have a video on their site but I didn’t see one. I have not checked out you tube yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I’ve used the WRMK Envelope punchboard for years and have shown others how to use it. It’s so simple I think smart people try to make it more complicated than it is. Lack of clear instructions doesn’t help.

The 123 Punchboard is more versatile since bows and a type of box can be made. If someone is having trouble with the Envelope Punchboard, the 123 Punchboard can be more confusing since it has three functions and for each function you pay attention to different color coded lines. One benefit is a pull-out arm to use 12x12 paper, but any 12x12 paper I use is trimmed to size beforehand. And it’s more expensive than old faithful, the envelope punchboard. 

Youtube tutorials by MayMayMadeIt of how to use the Envelope Punchboard and 123. She’s a super explainer.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 09-05-2020 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Links got messed up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2020, 04:00 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed a few posters said they used a marker to mark frequently used lines on the envelope punch board. I use 3M Post it Arrow flags on mine. My eye sight isn't what it used to be and it takes forever to figure where to line up the paper.  I stick them on my paper cutter, the envelope punch board and my scoreboard. The advantage is they are removable, movable and reusable so I can put them wherever needed for whatever project I am working. But the biggest advantage is I can color code them. For example I'm making score lines to make a box...I can use red flags for the vertical lines and green flags for the horizontal lines. Sometimes I'll end up with 10 flags across the top of my tools. I get them at WalMart or Staples. 

Last edited by Ibrands; 09-07-2020 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2020, 04:39 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I apologize for the above post... when I tried to add a link something went wrong. I’ve asked the Mods to delete the post.
Reply With Quote Likes