Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-21-2011, 04:53 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Love/Hate rant

I love coming to splitcoaststampers. I come for inspiration for difficult cards, or new ways to use an existing stamp set I have. I come to see what others have done with a stamp set before I buy it, or just for general ideas if I am feeling creative, but don't know what I want to make yet. If I have a general idea I like to come see if anyone has tried something similar, or how I might make changes or how to make something "work" for a project I am working on. I love coming and checking out all the other beautiful creations because I have never considered myself very creative, BUT I TRY!

The problem is once I get here and start looking at all the other works of art, I hit a brick wall. I don't have a emboss/die cut machine or heat tool for wet embossing. I come here and realize that my little project/idea I was working on is crap..... and I don't have the ______ (fill in: tool, paper, creativity, $$$ etc) to finish it or have it look nice. I don't want to give my friends/family crap, so I end up scrapping the whole idea and feeling defeated. Really defeated.

And here I go again. I had a little idea I thought might be neat.... started it...came here for problem solving...... and am now tossing the whole thing.

Am I the only one out here just starting out? Is there anyone else who has this love/hate relationship with crafting or feel this way when researching projects? At this point I would even take someone with some encouraging words.

Well, thanks for listening at any rate. At least I got it off my chest, even if I am the only one

Last edited by Caitlyn Jordan; 03-21-2011 at 04:59 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

No, you're not the only one. I started scrapbooking years ago when it was the "new" thing to do. I bought some stuff and was happy. Then I discovered stamping - that was a whole new world. For a long time I was limited by supplies, which were limited by space to store them.

I found I had to make careful choices about what I bought. I needed to make sure it was worthy of the space I had to store things in. I didn't get a BigShot - I cut things out. I didn't have oodles of patterned paper - I could use VersaMark and make subtle patterns with the stamp sets I had on the solid cardstock I also had. I couldn't have every embellishment because it HAD to fit into the two sterlite drawers that held EVERYTHING I had - so I'd make due.

What I did was look at the things that really, REALLY drew me to them. It sounds as though heat embossing is one for you. The heat tool isn't a big investment - use a coupon at Mike's or HL and they're under $10 - and you can use it for a million things. Find tools and supplies that multi task. And are good quality. There is no savings in buying cheap tools that break or frustrate because they don't work well.

Lastly, remember that many of us have been doing this for years. You, too, will be able to collect supplies over time. It's taken most of us years to get so much stuff we can't use it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhh this reminds me of my humble beginnings. It's a real shock to the system to come here looking for inspiration only to discover that you don't have the materials and or tools to replicate what someone else has done. Been there, done that too.

The key here that you have to remember is that we all started out with great ideas and few resources. Diana above has some great advice. Remember also that you're looking, for the most part at the work of folks who have been into this craft for a very long time and over that time have accumulated their tools and supplies, as you will too.

It's hard to take when you want to jump in with both feet and keep hitting a brick wall. I think a good place for you to start casing or drawing inspiration from might be the CAS gallery. Clean and simple is exactly that, and requires a minimum of special tools and these folks turn out beautiful work.

Don't be too discouraged. There is always a way around the obstacles.

I don't know what your financial resources are like, but for me, looking back, if I was just starting out, my essentials list would pretty short.

A good cutter
Score board
Cuttlebug or bigshot (Cuttlebug is by far more affordable)
A couple of multi purpose, non theme specific folders
Circles & scallop nesties (they're so versatile and you can add more as time goes by)

Don't get caught up with the "in" things. You'll be overwhelmed. Work on growing your must haves.

There's also a thread floating around here somewhere that talks about re-purposing everyday things you find in your home. Take some time and read through that as there are some great ideas there.

Most of all . . . . don't give up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Caitlyn...
I was in your shoes when I first started. I was trying to make cards that had a lot of features to the cards. I was trying to do lots of different techniques. I wasn't able to spend the money on the tools/supplies/embellishments that I desired. I got frustrated.

Later I had more money to spend. I tried to copy all the gorgeousness that I was seeing and still felt frustrated. If I just had _____ (fill in the blank) then I could do so much more.

Well, I gave up on that! I found that I would NEVER have all the latest and greatest. But I also found that I didn't HAVE to have all the latest and greatest. Sure, I have some of the popular things going on today...but only because I waited to see if it would stay popular, or would it disappear as quickly as it appeared.

Here's what I do. I browse the gallery daily. I watch the daily uploads. When I find something I like, I click on the little red heart to favorite it. But I look for the simple designs that catch my eye. Not the heavily embellished cards that I would have to spend mega bucks on supplies for, or that would take me hours to make. I find layouts that look good to me and I make several cards with that layout and the supplies that I have. I find cards that may use a stamp I don't have...but I have a different one that will work.

Then if there is a particular stamper (or 50 of them! LOL) that I enjoy their work, I may find several of their cards that I can copy with the supplies and stamps I have. I always am thinking of the supplies that I have...not thinking what do I have to go buy.

Just remember that everyone, yes everyone, starts with just one stamp or stamp set...and just a little bit of ink and a little bit of paper. Nothing else is needed. Well, let me qualify that. You need adhesive to stick things together if you are doing any kind of layers at all. And my particular ABSOLUTE NECESSITY is dimensionals. I HAVE to give that dimension to my creations. I saw things come more to life when I used dimensionals.

You can make some wonderful creations with minimal supplies. Just plan for simplicity and you will be much more satisfied.

If you would like to talk more about this, I'd be glad to talk to you...either post here or send me a PM. I'd be glad to help encourage you!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

First of all, don't be to hard on yourself. We are often our own worst critic. You will get better with time. Ask others for what they would do to change/improve.

Second, more stuff doesn't necessarily translate to more creativity. Look around your house for things you already have and find ways to use them. Buttons, ribbon, paperclips, brads,washers, Acrylic Paint, etc. My embossing gun is a Wagner Paint Stripper. Check out today's "Try a New Technique". It's about using newspaper.

Third, soon you will have more stuff than you know what to do with. Good luck! Enjoy the process.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Wenchie said exactly the thing I came along to say - try checking out the clean and simple style (the keyword for the gallery is CAS). Lots of lovely designs created with minimal tools and supplies. There's a weekly CAS challenge here at SCS and several blogs out there too - a current favourite is the fairly new "Less is More" challenge that has a different take each week of the month - colour in week 1, one layer cards in week 2, a theme for week three, recipe or sketch for week four and a lucky dip if there are five Saturdays in the month (the blog is here if you're interested - there were over 200 players last week so plenty of inspiration on blogs if you want it).

Susan Raihala's Simplicity blog is also well worth visiting - she dicusses design aspects of her CAS creations and at the moment she's running a week of pointers on "little things" that can make a big difference to a simple design.

Another thing you could try is asking for ideas when you hit a specific problem rather than necessarily just looking at the gallery. Make it clear that you don't have lots of fancy tools and supplies and see whether anyone can come up with ideas to help you - lots of people on SCS are very generous with their time and creativity and it costs nothing except a "thank you" for any ideas that come up

I think the thread Wenchie is referring to is probably the "Ways to make do instead of buy new" one - lots of ideas there for using stuff you have around the house or might otherwise throw away.

Don't get too despondent, remind yourself that it's supposed to be fun and if it starts feeling too stressful, just walk away for a while, listen to some happy music or read a bit of your favourite book and then come back to it when you feel refreshed.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:49 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

I can't tell a lie, I have a lot of stuff. Went to my first SU workshop 10 yrs ago so I've had a lot of time to accumulate. In 100 years I'd never have the talent that some of the folks have here. Usually when I'm most disappointed with a card I've done it's because I've over mucked it with too much stuff, too many techniques in one small space.

I have a girlfriend who's been at this the exact same time as I and in all those years she truly hasn't over indulged in materials but she makes some of the nicest cards, always has. It was from her, and then to here, that I've learned I have to take my inspiration from those best at Clean & Simple. Seems odd to say, but I have to remind myself to keep it simple if I want to be happy with the end result.

Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #8  
Inking Addict

Wow.

Let me tell you my day....

I woke up very early, researched the project I was working on (Christmas tags I was going to include with my Christmas cards this year), got frustrated made a post, and went to clean my basement.

When I came back upstairs, I never expected to have a reply let alone several. I nearly cried (yep, I'm emotional) that so many people were willing to give me their time and such helpful advice.

I have made several posts on various places, and never once got such sincere, complete and helpful responses.

I really can't express my gratitude enough. Thank you all so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think its very easy to get caught up in the 'latest must-have' frenzy. I've been stamping & cardmaking for about 12 years now, so I do have a lot of stuff. And if I am really honest, I have too much stuff.Because at the start I'd buy a lot of whatever currently took my fancy. Which means I have dozens of decoupage sheets- can't actually remember when I last made a decoupage card! I gave loads to my DIL, to craft with the kids.I probably have enough peeloffs to go round the world a couple of times- trouble is I very rarely use them now- only if I need to put a name on the card, or maybe it needs a border somewhere.I have rubber stamps that have only been inked when I stamped them in my filing system- yet I loved them when I bought them. Some I look at now and wonder what I was thinking about, :rolleyes:.They are just not my style anymore. They also go to the DIL.
I try now to find cheaper alternatives- I buy my ribbons from markets, not craft stores. Same goes for fibres- I buy balls of fancy wool. Chipboard? Use the cardboard back of Notepads- its the same stuff.Mica powders? Pearly/glittery eyeshadows do the same job. Foam pads for inking- I use makeup sponges. Or cotton wool balls.
I agree when finances are good, the Cuttlebug is a great investment, there are many folders now, not just 'bug ones, and they are cheap. Good, clean cuts & folds make all the difference.
Cards don't have to be heavily embellished- CAS always looks stunning.
As some of the others have said, don't be hard on yourself. I think the problem is that when we come to make something, we have a picture in our head of how we want the finished article to look. The truth is, it very often doesn't come out looking like that at all. And all we see is what we feel are imperfections-what went wrong,what we could have done better, etc. Others looking at it, don't have that mental picture, so they see the project as it is.
I often used to say ' I can't do that'- my Beloved Husband would say' You forgot to say YET'- and he is right- I have learnt to do many things I never thought I could- just keep telling yourself that all you need is practice.. After all, we start off completely helpless, needing to learn to walk & talk, and we manage that ok

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 03-21-2011 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

You are definitely not alone!! This can be a very expensive hobby IF you let it become that . Plus nothing is worse than having an idea and you don't have 10% of the supplies you would need.

Many people here are on Design teams and they get free products from companies to showcase their products. Others have been or are demonstrators for Stampin Up or other companies and they get discounts or free products. You can never keep up with free so don't even try.

Some of us are not totally new at this , but on limited budgets so we must be very careful with purchases.

In addition to the other suggestions I would say plan ONE card, maybe your Christmas card or the tags you wanted to make for this year. There is nothing wrong with giving everyone the same card. You do it if you buy a box of cards.

Little by little buy what you will need for that ONE project and don't get sidetracked by buying things just because they are pretty. It is all pretty!! Only buy what will be needed for the Christmas card or tag idea you have.

Don't be tempted to go the paper, ribbon and rubber stamp sales. You will end up with a lot of stuff and nothing matches. Only buy the paper you will use right now even if it is not on sale. You will save money in the long run.

I started out with only Stampin Up paper. For my first Christmas cards I bought one stamp set and two colors of plain card stock and white.
I found ribbon that matched my paper at Hobby Lobby
I bought Versafine black ink and a set of Tombow markers with a 40% off coupon at Michael's. You can use markers right on the rubber stamps instead of buying several ink pads.

I think it is worth the investment in buying a heat tool and clear, gold and black embossing powder and a Versamark pad. . You can do a lot with heat embossing especially if you don't have a lot of supplies to color with. Only buy with coupons. If you don't get the newspaper, sign up for Michael's weekly email. You get a 40% off coupon every week.

The ink pads I have are all the little dew drop size. They cost less and take much less space to store

You will see a lot of cards here with a lot of embellishment like lace, buttons, flowers etc. You can do without those . If you like flowers on cards, watch the clearance bin at Michael's for silks flowers. You can get nice sprigs for $1 and the flowers pull right off the stems. Use a little brad to attach it to the cards and to replace the center ( that is part of the stem) .
If you buy printed paper buy a matching solid color cardstock at the same time. You can match the colors when you are in store much better than trying later.

I enjoy making cards, but because of the money involved I have wondered many times if getting into this was a good idea and I am sure I am not alone and neither are you .

Barbara Jay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking of CAS... check out Joan B's blog. She makes CAS cards using minimal supplies that are beautiful.

PAPERLICIOUS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'll chime in here with a little bit of advice.

Take it slow. Don't get in over your head trying to buy up products that aren't necessary. Go with your gut instinct and buy the things that you're drawn to. The rest will come with practice. LOTS of practice...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I also meant to say, when you are frustrated by something you are doing, put it to one side, and go back to it a few days later. It's surprising how many things either don't look as bad a while later, or you see a different way of using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

""Only buy with coupons. If you don't get the newspaper, sign up for Michael's weekly email. You get a 40% off coupon every week. ""

I couldn't agree with this more Barbara Jay. I will not pay full price for anything. A 10-20% sale won't even get me to buy it. It has to be 40-50% off. And they are out there. There are a few sites that offer daily deals and that is how I have added to my spellbinders collection. I don't neccessarily need the very latest that just came out. I can wait and put it on my "list". The OP should make a list of what she really wants and will use often. Then, when she has a 40% coupon, go get it. But try to stick to the list. Then, when you have everything on your list, then feel free to make a new one. By that time, you should have a good feel for what you will use. Many of us have learned the hard way that you don't "need" everything that comes out. :oops: Now, I am off to re-vamp my list and take quite a few things off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

I agree with many of you about the price. I hardly ever pay full price for anything other than milk and eggs. If it is not NEEDED to survive, I generally wait for the 40-50% off.

I love CL. In fact, that is were I got most of the things I have now. A lady that gave up the hobby sold her whole stash for less than 10% of what it would cost to buy new. The good news is I have a few tools and toys to learn to use, and paper.

I really appreciate the tips on making do instead of new. In fact, i used a small bent hook that held my dogs tag on before he broke it on a card and it turned out pretty neat.

Thanks again for all of the great feed back and ideas.

I plan on uploading some of the past cards today. I will also load a picture of the gift tags I was working on. Any constructive criticism is very welcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I can see how upset you are by this and you're getting great advice. I actually prefer very simple cards without too much bling etc. I think sometimes simpler is better and you really don't need alot to create a simple, pretty card. Gina K's cards on Stamp TV are very pretty and alot of the techniques use minimal supplies. If you're going to purchase a cutting machine, I'd go with the Cuttlebug. You can use a coupon and get 40% off which brings the price way down. It's also nice and compact and takes up little space. In the meantime, just follow the advice of everyone and make do with what you have until you can add to your stash.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Making a list and sticking to it is the key!
It isn't just buying on sale or with a coupon, but only buying what you will really use.
When all the new stuff is released it is magical. We are like kids in a toy store and it is hard to resist buying a lot of it right there and then . However, will it be used enough to justify the cost?

So far I do not have one thing from all the new things released at CHA.
I make a list of things I like. Then in a few months I see what I really want and what may not be versatile enough for my needs so I take things off the list. I watch what others are making with the things I thought I wanted . If the experts can't come up with several different ideas for a product it is highly doubtful that I will.

Some of these things are beautiful, but have limited use.
I had a long list of Nestibilities I loved and thought I wanted. That list has been pared down to a very few .
Secondly. Just because you like something in one color or style doesn't mean you will make use of it if you have ALL of the colors or styles. How many people bought all the colors of Stickels or Stampin Up paper or ink and only use a few colors on a regular basis . How many have a gazillion Martha Stewart punches they seldom use . We all have our favorites that get used a lot . Try to resist wanting it all.

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-21-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

I've bought so many things on impulse. I don't do that anymore. People tend to hype up the newest products and you WANT them, but you don't need them. I'm having trouble just organizing and storing what I have. I haven't done the cold turkey thing other people have done on SCS, but I'm really selective about what I buy and I don't buy without a coupon. This is sort of an addiction and we want more more more. I'm trying to fight that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

So much good advice - I found I bought on impulse too many times and never used the items. I'm far more selective and don't rush to buy every new item. The forums here are wonderful for giving advice about tools, etc. I love to look at the elaborately decorated cards, they're beautiful, but not my style. For me, after the basic items, I found I used border punches more than any other and even though I might use the same punch on several cards, it always looks different because of the paper, ink, placement, etc. Use the coupons and slowly you will build your stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #20  
neglecting the kids and housework

Caitlyn! You're breaking my heart LOL. We all start somewhere. And even then as the years add up our styles change.

I have some things I'd like to pass on to you if you are interested. Let me get organized and I'll PM you.

BTW I've been approving your uploads during my shift and you have some really wonderful ideas and your use of color is JOYOUS! Hang in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 02:56 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

I just checked out your gallery and commented on a few of your cards. I think you have some great ideas! I'm also just starting out. I've only been at it for a few months and only have little more than the basics. I don't have a cutting machine so I hand cut everything. I also don't have anything for embossing but I do have some basic stencils that I use to do dry embossing by hand. I only have a few punches... a round corner punch, a butterfly punch, a small flower punch and a Martha Stewart punch that I don't know the name of. Having those few things is a big deal to me!

I also recommend checking out the "making do" thread. I found a lot of cost effective ideas there and now I'm constantly pulling things from the recycling bin and second guessing throwing things away that could be repurposed.

I don't know anyone who is into cardmaking or scrapbooking so I don't have anyone to bounce ideas off of and I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall all the time too. My fiance is my biggest supporter and I just started running ideas past him last week. Surprisingly he's really good at giving me ideas and coming up with that little extra that makes the card.

If you want to invest in anything I would recommend the little things like Stickles I just bought a set clear ones and I'm in love with them!! I also just bought Inkssentials glossy accents and love that also! They are both great for adding a little dimension and pop. I don't have a lot of space and don't want to invest in a lot of designer paper just yet so I make most of my backgrounds myself using stamp ink and acrylic paints.

Just have fun with it! You might surprise yourself with what you can do! I'm here if you want someone to bounce ideas around with. Oh and my fiance too if you ever want a guys opinion. ;)

Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM   #22  

Like a lot of the ladies have already mentioned, we've all been there, so don't be so hard on yourself. Check out Monday's Clean and Simple Cards Challenge. Here's the link: Clean and Simple Cards Challenge Forum - Fun & Easy to Make Cards - Splitcoaststampers Every Monday you'll find a different challenge, so maybe that will help you. Just one challenge...just one card.

Want to see the rest of My Gallery?

Check out the Creative Crew for some great Stampin' Up inspiration!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Oh -another thing. If you tend to stick toward one company (SU, etc.) that makes things that go together, that makes things easier to match and make things work.

I personally love SU and part of it is that I know their stuff all goes together really well. I also know that it's all good quality. I started out buying a combo pack of each color family (years ago) which allowed me some wiggle room in colors while finding out what ones I liked best. The ones I used, I slowly bought a pack at a time until I have most of what I need and want. I didn't end up with a ton of one color that I didn't love and use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #24  
stu
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Wenchie said exactly the thing I came along to say - try checking out the clean and simple style (the keyword for the gallery is CAS). Lots of lovely designs created with minimal tools and supplies. There's a weekly CAS challenge here at SCS and several blogs out there too - a current favourite is the fairly new "Less is More" challenge that has a different take each week of the month - colour in week 1, one layer cards in week 2, a theme for week three, recipe or sketch for week four and a lucky dip if there are five Saturdays in the month (the blog is here if you're interested - there were over 200 players last week so plenty of inspiration on blogs if you want it).

Susan Raihala's Simplicity blog is also well worth visiting - she dicusses design aspects of her CAS creations and at the moment she's running a week of pointers on "little things" that can make a big difference to a simple design.

Another thing you could try is asking for ideas when you hit a specific problem rather than necessarily just looking at the gallery. Make it clear that you don't have lots of fancy tools and supplies and see whether anyone can come up with ideas to help you - lots of people on SCS are very generous with their time and creativity and it costs nothing except a "thank you" for any ideas that come up

I think the thread Wenchie is referring to is probably the "Ways to make do instead of buy new" one - lots of ideas there for using stuff you have around the house or might otherwise throw away.

Don't get too despondent, remind yourself that it's supposed to be fun and if it starts feeling too stressful, just walk away for a while, listen to some happy music or read a bit of your favourite book and then come back to it when you feel refreshed.
I definitely second the above about Susan Raihala's blog 'Simplicity'! Susan creates wonderful cards and many of them are one layer and still look great.

You could also look in the Splitcoast gallery and search for 'OLC' (one layer cards)--I've gotten some great ideas there that did not use a ton of supplies and I could adapt them to the stamps, cardstock, embellishments, etc I already had.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
So much good advice - I found I bought on impulse too many times and never used the items. I'm far more selective and don't rush to buy every new item. The forums here are wonderful for giving advice about tools, etc. I love to look at the elaborately decorated cards, they're beautiful, but not my style. For me, after the basic items, I found I used border punches more than any other and even though I might use the same punch on several cards, it always looks different because of the paper, ink, placement, etc. Use the coupons and slowly you will build your stash.
Isn't that the truth. I have finally, just this year, stepped back and looked at all the stuff (bet you all know what I really want to call it) that I just had to have and so...I bought it. Thank God finances are not a problem for me so I can pretty much buy all that I want but the problem is...some of it doesn't get loved the way it should. There are some things that I haven't used and just had to have. I have become far more cognizant of my purchases and am trying to be a better steward of my money. I am also trying to not hoard!!! There is a thread on here that talks about using something and celebrating the use! Woo hoo!!! I am trying! I guess what I am trying to say is to take it slow. Decide what you will really use and what will give you pleasure rather than just take up all your space and clutter your life. Best wishes! I took a look at your gallery, you have some great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I ALWAYS have a list going of "must haves". Usually by the time I get around to actually looking the list, I am wondering why did I want that?? I like to actually MAIL my cards, so I try and limit the embellies. I just like to look at all the layers and embellies on the beautious card in the gallery. Just keep stamping (said my best Dory voice)!!!

jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #27  

Hi Caitlin
I understand how you feel. I have been stamping for about 8 years, and when I started I was on a tight budget. I agree with people who say to look for simple cards that you find are apealing to you. Seaching CAS in the gallery is a great way to find some "uncluttered" inspiration.

Also, for years I never owned any sentiment sets, I just wrote out my own sentiments to save money. But my absolute favorie way to get an inexpensive "wow" on a card is hand cutting. Punches are expensive and die cuts are even more so, but you can cut out pretty much any image by hand. As long as you don't have to reproduce a lot of cards, it's even fun! Put the image on your card with pop dots or dimensionals and your card receipient will surely be impressed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

Wow, there is a lot of positive helpful info here for you! I just wanted to add that one of the biggest helps is to remember- anyone who gets good at something has spent time practicing! You can try out layouts on regular paper so you don't waste cardstock. You can practice techniques on scraps of cardstock. It's hard when you start (for most people, anyway) to know what style is your favourite. I admire a lot of cards, but they aren't something I would actually make myself. This knowledge comes about by just doing it.
I know that people will be willing to give you constructive advice if you are trying to do something and it just isn't working for you. Keep at it, and enjoy the process, even if you have to file the project in the round file. You will have learned what does not work for you, that is an important bit of information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Received 856 Likes on 512 Posts
Smile

I certainly understand how you feel. Somedays I look at the cards in the galleries, and they are so advanced! But I figure, that's o.k., we all have different talents, skill levels, tools etc... I have found out that if I am having an "off" day where nothing goes right, sometimes I just need to lay it all down and work on it another day.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought less stuff. I do not have a cuttlebug, nesties or any of those tools. I do have a cricut, but I just recently got it, and I don't use it on all of my cards. The cards I've seen that I like the best usually have just square or rectangle mats stacked and organized. There is an awesome resource of card sketches on this site. Maybe someone here can provide the link; not sure how to link to it. I also love the cards with the paper piecing; which can be done using coloring books or free patterns off the computer. I love digital stamping. I just recently started using those, and it is fun; coloring like when I was a kid. They have a forum for the digital scrapping here and there are lots of free ones. I have a friend also that doesn't have many supplies, but she makes awesome scrapbook pages and projects! I think if I had used my imagination more and bought less, I would have been happier. But I am trying to remember that it is just a hobby, as I get really frustrated too. I usually do better if I take my time and don't rush myself. Just wanted to tell you not to feel bad; I'm in the same boat many days!

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 03-21-2011 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #30  
Inking Addict

I know I said it earlier, but I just want to say it again.

Thank you to everyone that posted!! It has really been great reading and re-reading through your posts. I am even getting information that I didn't know to ask for!!

For example that red heart "favorites" thing....How cool is that!!!!
I know it was probably a no-brainer for some, but that is so much better than me trying to bookmark each page LOL.

Everyone has been so helpful. Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislandwomanView Post
Wow, there is a lot of positive helpful info here for you! I just wanted to add that one of the biggest helps is to remember- anyone who gets good at something has spent time practicing! You can try out layouts on regular paper so you don't waste cardstock. You can practice techniques on scraps of cardstock. It's hard when you start (for most people, anyway) to know what style is your favourite. I admire a lot of cards, but they aren't something I would actually make myself. This knowledge comes about by just doing it.
I know that people will be willing to give you constructive advice if you are trying to do something and it just isn't working for you. Keep at it, and enjoy the process, even if you have to file the project in the round file. You will have learned what does not work for you, that is an important bit of information!
SO TRUE Life's lessons are never learned from praise. They are learned by failing and then trying over and over until you get it right.
I burned my first few attempts at heat embossing LOL I start out with one color combination in mind and often find it looked better in my thoughts than on a card LOL

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 03-21-2011 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with the above posts. You are lucky to be starting with a community of generous, supportive, and creative people at SCS.
We all had to start somewhere. Our favorite blooper became the results of my SIL trying to heat emboss with a hair dryer. Don't try that. It is not hot enough to melt the powder- that is if it hadn't already blown all of it away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

For one thing you are too hard on yourself! Also, it's taken me five years to really build up a good supply of stamps, ribbon, buttons, embossing folders and tools. Just work at it slowly.

Never ever think your work is crap! It is a process for all of us. You will learn a lot along the way but you have to start somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 05:55 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Hugs to you. Your getting some great advice. When I first started stamping I was a PaintShop Pro girl. Most of my online life was in Yahoo Groups. PaintShop pro girls and guys back then lived for our Yahoo groups. The first thing I did when stamping was join a bunch of Yahoo groups. I think I joined the wrong ones. :(

Honestly, I was fighting depression after my DH & I lost our daughter then had tragedy upon tragedy thrown on us. I was supposed to use stamping as healing. I got involved with a group of elitist stampers who used the top products, were on design teams or who had been stamping since I was in diapers. I am almost forty. That's saying something.

Everything I did was critiqued on this one board. I felt so downtrodden about it. If I didn't use a Scor-Pal it was not good enough. Did I really have the audacity to make my own digital paper? That is breaking a stamping rule! We call this hybrid now, lol.

One day I was looking for info to buy the next expensive tool since apparently I was the stamping loser of all time. I discovered SCS and never looked back after that. The ladies and guys here using toliet paper rolls to stamp with. My kind of stamping. Tools are cool but not a must. Trends? What are those? Stamping is supposed to be fun. I left my group. Then left other groups. I am stamping more.

It has to feel good to you. Don't worry about owning a Cricut, Silhouette, Nestabilities, Bind it All, etc... If you use a stamp, some ink and Bic marker's your work will inspire me. My favorite blogs are stampers who are frugal and think outside the box.

Tonight I took one of my favorite butterfly sets, inks and cardstock. Stamped all the images on to the cardstock and made a cute backgrounder. It turned out so cute the card could be stand alone. Is it fancy? No! It's mine. I also doodled flourishes with my glitter glue on another card tonight. I made a butterfly die cut. I just had fun. Didn't worry about anything except having fun.

Don't get down. I bet your an amazing stamper. If you have your imagination you need nothing else.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, that was me when I started out MANY years ago. I was actually just a stamp collector the first year I got into stamping, and then every time I sat down, I told myself "if I just had......" So as others have mentioned I started strategically buying things that would step up my creations. This was before, everyone was using background paper and before anyone had heard of an embossing folder or a Big Shot! So I can totally relate. We relied heavily on special folds and techniques to step up our cards back then and you will find tons of those in the resources area here on SCS.
Beyond that I highly suggest that you start out with a few coordinating products in the same color hues or groupings and get a little ribbon, some background paper (simple, subtle patterns will be more versatile) and maybe a favorite embellishment. You can go a long way with those items to spiff up a card.
If you long for ovals, shapes and embossing folders, try swapping with some other SCS members who are in the same boat. There used to be an image exchange here, but you could swap out shaped layers and quarter sheets of certain textured pieces. When you have the cash a punch or two can fill in the blanks until you can afford a whole die cut set up.

But most importantly, give yourself a break. Every card mistake is an embellishment opportunity, even if that means just adding another layer and moving on. With each card you'll gain experience and love your creations more and more. We were all in your shoes once and we get better by doing just what you are doing. Coming to places like this and upping our game by trying new things. The challenges can take you places you would have never considered going. I highly suggest those. Clean and simple is a great way to go when you have limited supplies.

To keep from getting overwhelmed try adding one element at a time. Maybe you love the way a certain person does layers, so try adding a few layers. Or copy a ribbon technique or some other technique. Trial and error, stick with what you love and soon, you will have a style all your own.

Remember, we all started out in the same spot you are in and threw our hands up a few times as well. Just keep trying and soon you will find yourself loving your creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

I just took a spin through your gallery and you've got some very good ideas going! Your love card is darling. It took me a long time to have the courage to post my creations anywhere. And, my very first ones are shoved to the back of a drawer, never to be seen by anyone. Even now, I feel like I don't measure up to some of the amazing card makers here. But, in my everyday life, people just love what I make. Comparing myself to those who've had time to hone their skills and collect their stash only serves to defeat me.

Be proud that you can create something that makes someone smile. It doesn't have to have 3lbs of the newest, fanciest embellishments. It just has to have heart. Anything made by your hands is so much better than a Hallmark or 2/$1 made in China card! You aren't just giving someone a card but giving them a piece of you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:33 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Caitlyn,

Would you feel comfortable throwing your idea out here? Maybe someone would have some ideas to make it work for you, without needing a lot of tools and such. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:51 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

And this is one of the reasons I LOVE SCS. Always positive, always reassuring, helpful, friendly and informative. SC Stampers are the absolute best of the best.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 06:57 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Every post says it all. I'll chime in and say buy slowly and use coupons ALL the time. This is an expensive hobby and coupons do help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

I would have to agree!!

I like how you not only get praise, but helpful tips. Although it is very nice to get complements, and important to gain confidence, suggestions for improvement help us grow and get better!

Quote:

Originally Posted by LorraineBKView Post
And this is one of the reasons I LOVE SCS. Always positive, always reassuring, helpful, friendly and informative. SC Stampers are the absolute best of the best.
Reply With Quote Likes