Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOCAL STAMP STORES ARE STRUGGLING...

even my local store which is La Carta Bella in Matthews NC!

I just got a notice from my LSS that they are on a 4 week notice of potential closing. I was very troubled when I saw this post about La Carta Bella and the very REAL possibility that they may be forced to close due to the lack of support from local stampers! We all can't control the economy but we CAN support our individually owned stamp stores. Check out their blog post: www.LaCartaBella.Blogspot.com

Here is a part of the post although I suggest you take time to read the entire post because if it very informative and brought to light a lot of things that small business owners are struggling with on a daily business in order to keep their doors open for US!

La Carta Bella - Where do we go from here?

The time has come where La Carta Bella is at a crossroads. I must decide whether to continue or close the doors forever.

As everyone knows, the economy is bad and a lot of businesses are struggling. For the past year, I have been funding the store out of my personal household budget. I have done this hoping that things would turn around. I have been struggling with the decision on whether to close or remain open for a while and finally decided that the decision should be left up to YOU; therefore, within the next 4 weeks, YOU will have made the decision that La Carta Bella should either stay or go. In order for you to make an informed decision, I need to provide you with some information. I am sure a lot of you probably understand a lot about business. If this sounds redundant, please forgive me; however, I am going to do the best I can at laying out the following:

Explain overhead costs
What wholesale means and How the Retail Cost is calculated
Explain how La Carta Bella compares to other Stamp or Craft Stores..........

I would like to point out that not only do our local stamp stores bring us unique merchandise that is not available at the big MEGA craft stores but the money that we spend in those stores are kept within the community and benefit everyone.

Please keep this in mind the next time that you are ready to make a purchase. Keep our dollars in your community and keep our individually owned stamp and crafting stores open!

Mel
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting this. It makes a big difference at times to be able to touch and see the merchandise and to chat with fellow crafters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 12:53 PM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is such an unfortunate sign of the times. I witnessed the closing of a wonderful store in Ventura California years ago, and I supported them alot!!! Our small community here in florida cannot support a stamp store - especially with Michaels, JoAnns and Hobby Lobby in the same town. That, along with the internet has changed shopping altogether. Even in Las Vegas, where there used to be a bunch of stamp stores, they are down to just one. Retail is a difficult business and you really have to turn the inventory over alot to make the money.
I do so much shopping now via the internet for my stamp needs, but I would love to support a local place for classes and get togethers.
I wish all the best for la carta bella.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

After some "not so good" experiences at the big crafting stores.... I've decided to pretty much support the smaller privately owned businesses who support us as crafters!

Generally the "big" stores in our area are ill-kept and there are no authorities on site. All the personnel know little about the products. Customer Service is minimal....IF you can find someone to assist you. The shopping experience is a challenge rather than enjoyable. I rarely even visit them anymore.

The experience in our LSS is quite different! There is a ton of knowledgeable personnel at each of our LSS's. Crafty, experienced, knowledgeable and eager to assist ... the same goes for the online stores that I buy from....in both instances, customer service is paramount in their minds...product is outstanding and varied and pricing is competitive. I know exactly where my purchases go. and I'm glad to be supporting the owners!

I do recognize that the economy is putting a strain on these small businesses who support us....I agree that we should do what we can to support these companies and their owners....they support us in so many ways! also recognizing that our own dollars are at a premium and we have our own choices to make.... but we do what we can!

THANKS!!! for this post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was raised in a home where both of my parents (they were divorced) owned and operated 2 different small business's, each with a separate store front in different states.
I really do understand the impact the poor economy has had, especially in my fathers business (my future inheritance,lol)- so I feel really bad for my LSS and other novelty or non-essentail type business'es. I do try (when I can afford it) to spend at least$40.00 a month at my LSS. I have a hard time justifing spending sometimes double the amount for something at my LSS, then online. When possible (90%/time) when buying online I spend enough for free shipping (no matter the amount/usually). This is the main reason I am currently thinking about not placing a SU order in the new future- because of the high shipping prices. I understand small businesses needing to stay afloat, but us customers need to pinch pennies too, due to the economy.
I feel horrible for LSS- the economy is really hard for them, more then other small companies-providing essential life substaining items (EX: my father has several small business but 1 is heating and Air Conditioners- essentail items to living even for the poor).
I will continue to support my LSS when I can afford it, but I can buy things at www.scrapbookingalley.com and purchase then more then 20% off retale prices. I need my craft money to go as far as possible, I am not luckly enought to be able to spend any amount my little heart desires whenever I want, like some people. I do not shop at Joann's or Micheals anymore either. I only buy online and usually buy enough like I said before for free shipping. I have a buget to live by- only allowing myself 80.-100.00 a month.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I live at least 40 minutes away from the nearest stamp stores. I actually changed dentists so that every time I went to the dentist, I could combine trips and visit the stamp store nearby. Sadly it was too late - that stamp store closed soon afterwards. Now there are two remaining stamp stores; one is 40 minutes away and the other is about 45 minutes away. I always have the intention of going there whenever I am planning on going somewhere near those stores, but the thought of spending extra time in the car (which fills me with exhaustion) nearly always deters me and I head home instead. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I live < 2 blocks from my LSS. I stopped by today and they were fairly busy. They've done a great job of keeping up on trends and updating their inventory which has helped add to their longeviety. I think they've been around at least 15 years, if not more. It is great to be greeted by name when you walk in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Any LSS is having problems in this rough economy. The one I patronized in Madison, VA closed and it had been open for ages. I was teaching some card classes there and it was so much fun. I miss all of the people and being able to chat plus my classes were always full. I sure wish someone else will open it. I only order on line if I get free shipping unless it is something that I can't live without. Of course, this is a good time for me to use what I have (which is a lot)!

I am a proud design team member for http://www.sparklensprinkle.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I'm doing my personal best to keep my local store, Stampin' Cat Studio, in business. Just ask my husband. ;)

I agree with the earlier posters. It's great to be greeted by name when you walk in the door. And, it's great to know if they don't have an item, they will order it for you. Try that at most of the big box craft stores. Not happening.

Whenever possible, I try to buy most of the necessities like mochas, stamps, etc. from small local businesses. They are the backbone of our communities.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have one nearby (about 5 miles from me) and the next one I like is in Winnsboro, TX (Scrappy K's) about 121 miles door to door...and I will still go that distance for her stuff. She seems to be going strong so I am happy! Seems to me like a trip needs to be soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I believe that internet shopping is doing to "mom and Pop" stores just what Walgreens, Home Depot, Lowes, Joanns, etc did to the small businesses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

One of our local stores just moved to a bigger location and really expanded their merchandise. So I'm hoping things are going well for them. I haven't spent a lot there lately because I've been spending too much on-line, but I'll give myself a few months and get down there again. It is tough because I know I can get some things cheaper on-line, but I have to admit that sometimes it's worth it to see the product in person before buying. It's really a great store when I think about it, and I agree with the OP, we need to support our local economies when we can.

Another store we had here closed it's doors this past fall, but it was pretty much just scrapbooking, there wasn't much in the way of stamps there. But I guess the owner closed because she wanted to spend her time doing other things.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

It's unfortunate, but I just don't appreciate the tone of this store owner's blog post. It sounds like she's putting the blame on the customer for the store failing instead of a poor economy, increasing unemployment, and perhaps(dare I say it)poor business decisions.

My LSS announced on their blog today that they are closing this month. She had a boring selection in product, didn't offer many classes(and the ones she did offer just weren't inspiring) and she had poor customer service skills(bottom line--she was a snot).

I won't miss the store and I have to say, I've been very happy shopping at online stores and the brand new HL here in town. But then, I get my inspiration online and prefer to stamp/scrap at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Oh--and a lot of online stores are 'mom and pop' businesses. I support a Small business owner whose 'store' just happens to be in her home. As far as small business owners supporting local economies--a portion of the big box stores HUGE tax revenue is pumped directly into my county. How can that not be considered good for our local economies? My county is constantly trying to get new stores/restaurants and such to come in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Scrapcat71, you make some good points, but don't forget that a lot of cities give huge tax breaks to big box stores to attract them to their city. Don't forget that. Also, more of the profits of the locally owned businesses stay in the community. The profits of Michael's and Wal-Mart are not staying in your community.

I think they all have their place, but I prefer to spend my money in the locally owned businesses.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapcat71View Post
Oh--and a lot of online stores are 'mom and pop' businesses. I support a Small business owner whose 'store' just happens to be in her home.
I totally agree. I have several friends who have online businesses.

CindyB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Whenever a stamp or scrapbook store closes, I shed a tear. I don't buy online and I throw business the way of local stores as much as I possibly can. Year-end stories in the paper list many major chains and brands and restaurants that have closed in 2009 and it makes me very nervous for the future of "my" remaining SoCal stores.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I have to agree with scrapcat71 that it is not fair to put the blame of the store closing on the customers, and that is exactly what the blog post sounds like. Does she know how the economy has hit each one of her customers? My local economy is supported everytime I shop in any of the stores in my area and not just when I give my money to a small business. I don't blame people from shopping at places that will make their limited dollars go further, and they should not be made to feel guilty about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nana jenkinsView Post
Any LSS is having problems in this rough economy. The one I patronized in Madison, VA closed and it had been open for ages. I was teaching some card classes there and it was so much fun. I miss all of the people and being able to chat plus my classes were always full. I sure wish someone else will open it. I only order on line if I get free shipping unless it is something that I can't live without. Of course, this is a good time for me to use what I have (which is a lot)!
Yes I too am sadden by this store closing. I just went there for the first time sometime in October and loved it. I looked on line to see when they will be open over the holidays and was shocked to see they closed the doors.

I also shop at a store in Richmond but it's a strong scrapbook store and that's ok but I need a stamp store also. I don't know of a stamp store locally without having to drive way over an hour. It really amazes me that the "central Virginia" area does not have a true stamp store. Northern Virginia are pretty well stocked with them and the further south you go towards North Carolina they have them also.

I would love to open the doors to a stamp store. But with this economy I just can't do it. Maybe one day.

All the best of luck to the local stores out there. If you were closer to me I would shop with you frequently!! I'll just have to stick to my CTMH and SU consultants....I love them both!!:mrgreen:

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:19 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I believe in the US "small business" whether it be online, at home or a brick and mortar storefront, however one thing that I have noticed about many of the LSS that I have been in and have closed...lack of variety. It may just be my personal demographic, but they seemed to be abundantly stocked with stickers, old items and very few trendy things. I understand small business...it is difficult to stock everything ($$$) and have every trend...impossible really, but I think a lot of it has to do with how in tune the store buyer is it to what consumers want. I don't want what I can buy at Joann's 40% off. I want uniqueness. There are sooo many things that "big box stores" don't carry. (Just Rite stamps, Unity stamps, new CB folders, Smooch, gorgeous ribbons, Basic Grey papers, luxury cardstock, etc.) I really think that needs to be the niche in this economy.

There are a few stores in the Columbus area that have found that niche, but many more that simply don't have updated variety. I WILL pay the prices a LSS has to charge if I find the unique items I am looking for. I rarely find what I want at chain stores like Joann's, Michaels and Hobby Lobby....one exception is Archiver's. I could lose a lot of money in there!

It definitely is a tough economy, but in light of that, small business owners need to be savvy and find out what consumers want and do their best to use that information to their advantage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

It is unfortunate that so many independant businesses are going the way of the dinosaur. I would love to support my local store but they have very little in the way of selection (they do have a good selection of bazzil CS but that's about it) and what little they do have is grossly overpriced. I don't mind spending 10-15% more to support a local store but the mark up at my LSS is much more than that. If there was a local store with more up-to-date products and a fair mark up I would gladly shop there for anything they did carry locally.

I do support several small businesses in that they are "run from home" on-line stamping companies - alas, none are in my own province and most are not even in my own country.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapcat71View Post
It's unfortunate, but I just don't appreciate the tone of this store owner's blog post. It sounds like she's putting the blame on the customer for the store failing instead of a poor economy, increasing unemployment, and perhaps(dare I say it)poor business decisions.

My LSS announced on their blog today that they are closing this month. She had a boring selection in product, didn't offer many classes(and the ones she did offer just weren't inspiring) and she had poor customer service skills(bottom line--she was a snot).

I won't miss the store and I have to say, I've been very happy shopping at online stores and the brand new HL here in town. But then, I get my inspiration online and prefer to stamp/scrap at home.
Early last summer I received an email from a LSS here (scrapbooking not stamping) that she is doing a request for every customer to spend $30 each month to keep her open.
The way this email was worded also turned me off because it was a guilt email. If we don't buy she will close.
I have not been in that store since.
I do however support the stamp shop here. I love that store as those gals carry many items like WOJ.Sugar Nellie, Sarah Kay, Northwoods, Stampscapes and SO MUCH MORE! They to moved next door to a larger location last year and now have a nice room for classes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

All but one of the LSS near where I live (halfway between Ottawa and Brockville) have closed their doors. Tina's Scrabooking is still open. Our stamp store Heather's Stamping Haven is still open and going strong thank Heaven's. The other store I frequent is Marchant's in Kingston and they area also doing well. I think the people who say that unique products are the key are probably right. And these three stores do an excellent job of keeping current and unique. They will special order for me as well. The cutomer service is excellent. I also consider Stamping Bella local because if I wanted to I could drive there for a day trip and come home. They are about 4 hours away and I've done it just because I wanted to go there. I try to buy locally if I can but I also spend alot of money with online stores which are also small businesses. I don't want to lose these any of these "stores" on line or IRL. It was soooo sad hearing of all the LSS here that closed - 4 or 5 in the last year alone. Hopefully 2010 will be a better year but my bottom line that I stick to is if I can buy it locally then I do. Because if I buyalmost everything online then these 3 ladies locally won't be there with their support and smiling faces when I realy need them. I spent more on by CB buying it from Heather than if I'd gone to Walmart of Michaels with a coupon but to me it was worth it.... and believe me I don't have gobs of cash. It's just a choice I've made. The ladies at all 3 stores know I will get it from them if they have it and will tell me straight up if they aren't going to get something or can't get something and then I will order it online if it is something I really really want. Tina's even did a client survey asking if we wanted her to pretty up the store or just spend the money on getting more new items. We voted to leave the store as is and keep the good stuff coming our way. Smart lady that Tina!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Almost all the local stores here in Austin TX have already closed. They just can't turnover mechandise fast enough and are often stuck with older stock that doesn't interest people. I can think of 6 stores locally that have shut down over the last few years. Sometimes they close because the owner is tired of working 7 days a week (that was the case with at least 3 of the local ones) and other cases they are just not making enough. We are down to one "local" store now. :(

Holley
A new card posted everyday! http://holleybarnhartsblog.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

If I lived close to this store, I would be grateful for getting the advance warning. I feel as though she(the store owner) is just making an appeal and if there are people that truly love the store, they may make more of an effort to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's sad to hear!:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

One thing to keep in mind about the big box stores is that even though they "may" get the tax breaks, but by us not shopping there we aren't supporting the local families that do work there. I don't work for a big box store or know anybody that does it's just something I've always thought about.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 03:56 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinsweeneyView Post
I believe in the US "small business" whether it be online, at home or a brick and mortar storefront, however one thing that I have noticed about many of the LSS that I have been in and have closed...lack of variety. It may just be my personal demographic, but they seemed to be abundantly stocked with stickers, old items and very few trendy things. I understand small business...it is difficult to stock everything ($$$) and have every trend...impossible really, but I think a lot of it has to do with how in tune the store buyer is it to what consumers want. I don't want what I can buy at Joann's 40% off. I want uniqueness. There are sooo many things that "big box stores" don't carry. (Just Rite stamps, Unity stamps, new CB folders, Smooch, gorgeous ribbons, Basic Grey papers, luxury cardstock, etc.) I really think that needs to be the niche in this economy.

There are a few stores in the Columbus area that have found that niche, but many more that simply don't have updated variety. I WILL pay the prices a LSS has to charge if I find the unique items I am looking for. I rarely find what I want at chain stores like Joann's, Michaels and Hobby Lobby....one exception is Archiver's. I could lose a lot of money in there!

It definitely is a tough economy, but in light of that, small business owners need to be savvy and find out what consumers want and do their best to use that information to their advantage.
Take a road trip someday and drive 2 hours northeast to Smithville! You won't be disappointed!

I appreciate reading all the thoughts and comments on this thread. As manager of a LSS, I too worry a great deal about my job security. Thankfully our store is a combination of two different specialty markets, and the store survives because 75% of the revenue comes from the other part of the store. I know that my regular customers appreciate what we have available, and they let me know it. Another local store (scrapbooking, not stamping) had to close just before Christmas and it broke my heart to see them go. We were a good match... when someone came to me looking for scrapping stuff, I sent them there and vice versa. Somehow this darn economy has got to get turned around!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampertammyView Post
Take a road trip someday and drive 2 hours northeast to Smithville! You won't be disappointed!
Totally agree! I love to go here when I go visit my in-laws.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 04:18 AM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsStack79View Post
Totally agree! I love to go here when I go visit my in-laws.
Thank you, Dawn! You TOTALLY made my day!

I don't have time right now to read the whole message from the stamp store that's mentioned by the OP, but one thought I had is that perhaps she has noticed a decline in regular customers, or has gotten a lot of criticism over prices compared to the online or box stores? I agree it isn't right to put the blame on customers, but maybe she's just frustrated. I won't judge until I have time to read it completely.

OK, now I have to get off the computer or God is gonna' mark my slip tardy at church! LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

[QUOTE=stampertammy;15813449]Take a road trip someday and drive 2 hours northeast to Smithville! You won't be disappointed!

My college roommate went to Smithville HS, I believe. We are over on that side of the state a couple times a year to visit DH's grandmother and family. I've heard there was something good over there. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

We have never had anything in the way of a LSS in our area. A long time ago, there was a place in the mall and if you could get service, then you could buy stuff. She was only interested in her class members and if you walked in during a class, you were ignored. If you had something in your basket to buy, you waited at the register till she was good and ready to ring you up. More than once we walked out leaving our purchases on the counter, so she could see what she missed out on by being rude! I shop alot online with smaller companies, newer ones, I love new things and stamps. I like the service I get, the little goodies I get extra sometimes for being a good customer, etc. I also shop at Jo-annes, not Michaels. I get alot of my stamps for the 40% coupon of course, and I love the dollar stamps. It's the only choice around here, but it's ok, I pick and choose what I want to spend on what. I have often thought of trying to run a stamp/scrapbook store, but realize the prices would have to be higher because I could not keep the stock a bigger store could, unless there was alot of business, and I just don't see that happening, especially now with the economy being the way it is. I feel bad for these business owners who have to close due to not enough business, it's tough today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,013 Likes on 867 Posts
Default Small stores closing

I visit a small store in No Kentucky when I visit my parents called Creative Stamper, and while I do not visit often, I love going there. I got an e-mail this past week that they are closing- and will be closed by Jan 30.......BOO!!!

It breaks my heart to see the stamping stores closing- I buy alot of my supplies online, but there is nothing like walking into a Rubber Stamping Store!

I have to add when I go visit my daughter in Columbus Oh and my parents in Cinci, I try to stop at Marco Papers-which is a little out of the way, but very well worth it- they have just about you can dream of!

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think part of it is the economy but part of the blame is us - we get things on line for LESS although sometimes we get no support from the larger companies - by support I mean classes, stores nearby where we can run in and grab just the right sentiment or shade of cardstock. But we all love a deal. Lost my stamp store this year and the local scrapbook store just closed as of 12/31. Now I am MILES away from anything other than Michaels and JoAnn's.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:35 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

I guess I just don't get it..

I'm a bit dismayed by some of the negatives responses that some have expressed in this thread regarding La Carta Bella when they are obviously located out of state and don't know the owners or have visited the store personally.

I started this thread as a reminder to support local individually owned stamping stores present in the communities where you all live if you are lucky enough to have such stores..And I don't mean Big Box stores..

I know in my case with my LSS (La Carta Bella) they carry a variety of stamps not found in Michael's, AC Moore, or Hobby Lobby like Memory Box, Savvy Stamps, Amuse, Lizzy Anne, Stamping Bella, Pink Paisley to name a few..I would not have been introduced to my favorite stamp line (Memory Box) if it wasn't for my LSS. And the owner always goes the extra mile to special order any stamp you need..They always have the new releases from these companies..The store is well stocked..NO STICKERS! They offer classes..Even Dave Brethauer the owner of Memory Box taught classes there this past summer! And if you read the store's blog, she doesn't increase the price of stamps to cover shipping charges!

It's just sad that there is such poor support in my community for an individually owned stamp store that is teetering on the brink of closure when the owners have tried everything to keep the store open like taking special orders, accepting competitors coupons, a variety of classes etc. The owners were at least giving their customers a 'heads up' on their business status instead of just closing the doors suddenly without warning.

There always seems to be an outpouring of sympathy and remorse when someone posts here about another LSS closing...I was just posting that we can do something locally to help out our own economy and employment situations by supporting individually owned businesses..

Mel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

I looked at that blog and unless I am missing something, she only has hours by appointment except on Saturday when she is open a half day? No way would I make an appointment to shop at a store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #37  

I did finally get time to read the complete blog post, and am going to just keep my opinion to myself. If that's what she feels she has to do, then that's her prerogative. However, I will say it's really presumptious of her to say that "all other local stamp and scrapbook stores include their shipping cost in the retail cost that you are charged." Whether that's true or not, she shouldn't be making derogatory statements about her competitors.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

I am local to Matthews, NC. I have lived here for four years. I did not even know of La Carta Bella's existence! I am sorry to hear they may have to close; I was all set to go in and check them out until I saw the hours. I can't justify making "an appointment" to shop when I may not buy anything. I have very, very few crafting dollars available to spend; and a commitment to an SU club to complete in Feb. I will leave myself a note to go in next Saturday when it appears she has "open" store hours.

Had I known this store was there, I would have gone in for a class or two. I have never had the experience of shopping at a LSS. When I lived in No. Kentucky/ Cinci area I became an SU demo after only seeing craft supplies at big box stores like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. My first hands on experience at an SU workshop and I was hooked! I no longer demo due to moving and to being my own best customer. I couldn't AFFORD to continue!

It took me a few years of being a demo, meeting other crafters, and poking around online to realize that local scrapping/stamping stores existed!! Honestly, it seemed like such a "small" market I didn't know how one could stay in business. I was thrilled when I found a local needlecraft store in Cinci which I shopped at as much as possible.

All this to say....I will try to check out this LSS next Saturday. I would love for her to be able to stay open and hopefully when the economy turns around and I have more available funds I would enjoy experiencing a local store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

did i read her blog correctly, and there is no shipping charge?
How do I order online?
I would gladly support a local business especially with free shipping.... saves me the trouble of a 2 hour bus trip to Mikes or ACs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

It is sad that local crafting stores are not making it. Unfortunately it is not that unusual for any small stores and restaurants to be drowned out by the big chains.

Our LSS, does everything it can to stay competitive. They offer coupon matching days, loyalty program, etc... But they also cannot offer everything. For stamps and most of my paper, I shop there. But if they don't have something I want, and they don't buy from that particular brand, I will look for it online. I am not embarrassed to say that, and I share that with the employees and owner of the store. Many times I will suggest other stamp brands, or different things. That is up to the owner to decide if they can support getting additional brands.

An example - I know that they occasionally order from Cornish Heritage Farms. So I will buy through my LSS, and have them order whatever specific stamps I want from them when they place their orders (usually not stamps that they would typically order). The same with Outlines. Then I pay what the store charges me. The shipping is included with their big order, they get whatever discount they get through bulk orders, and I still come out cheaper as I am not paying the high shipping. It has worked well.

On the flip side - no Belles N Whistles stamps, Sugar Nellie, or Flourishes. So I buy those online. My LSS sells Copics, but only the Ciaos. So I order the refills and Sketches online. They sell a handful of Sketches. So, if they have one I don't have and I am not ordering any time in the near future, I will pick it up.

Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Joanns and AC Moore - well, I go there, but I don't buy nearly as much there as I used to. I stick with the LSS and online for the most part - the Spellbinders being the MAIN exception - When HL has them on sale I buy them there. half off is just too good to pass on.
Reply With Quote Likes