Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #81  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggysueView Post
Now you've done it, I didn't have any concord crush and simply would love to hold a piece of it in my hands now after that description, as well as the pear . . . this must be the same theory that operates as with weight loss . . . someone somewhere on the planet loses weight and it simply flies to another woman's hips . . . Joan is reducing her cardstock stash and mine wants to increase.

this thread is making my day, and this post is totally cracking me up.

I totally agree about the weight loss and I guess the cardstock colors are the same thing! brilliant (not blue, just clever!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #82  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Joan- I think you need to lie down until these crazy thoughts pass.
ITA.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #83  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a very inspiring idea! I love that thought and maybe once I finish my CS I'll try doing that. I think my list would be closer to Barbara's. I like the idea of looking at a sample of your cards to see which ones you use most. I ordered the variety pack from PTI and there are some colors that I don't really "need" but since they're there I try to consume them. So in my eyes it's quite do-able but then I am a person who likes less of everything less stuff in my house = happier me.

I'll support you big time!

P.S Great job cbooboo at the numbers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #84  
Inking Addict

This thread is great! I'm with the pare down group, I reach for the same colors over and over.
And, after reading Tim Holtz' blog and seeing how he starts with manila or grungepaper and colors almost everything from scratch, I'm thinking I need to invest in more distress ink colors!:lol:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #85  
Glitter Queen

Default let's talk color

I think you could downsize paper colors; however I think you should include a brown hue. You could, however, buy a multi pack now and then for the odd colors you may need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #86  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Nope! I have no desire to downsize color. But I am also the child who buys the 120 box of Crayola crayons. I want the best and the most color options. :o)

Good luck!

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 09:38 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

I think that limiting my cardstock colors would suck all the fun out of this hobby for me. I *love* colors. I love seeing the rainbow effect of all the cardstock, ribbon, ink, buttons, Copics, etc lined up. It's as much a decoration or inspiration as it is a supply.

But I guess with patience or talent (I have neither BTW) you can create just about any color paper you want using ink, markers, etc. Joan, your clean and elegant style really lends itself to a few core colors. I tend to rely on strong colors to make up for lack of creativity, LOL~ If you change your mind and need a few (dozen) other colors, you can always stop by my house and pick some up. ;) I still have your Cherry Cobbler ribbon waiting to meet up with you.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #88  
Kookie Creator

An interesting idea - I think as long as I had lots of patterned papers I could do it... maybe... here's my story -

I had all the SU colors as a demo and I kept them arranged in their color families even when I quit and even though there were no 'color police'! When SU got rid of so many colors, I actually breathed a sigh of relief, and felt empowered to toss the colors I never really liked and rarely used - and I did. It felt great!

Then I went a step further and took them out of their 'family' arrangement - that was like taking off a bandaid!- but now I find myself with colors I like and REALLY use that are also easy to see.

Are there 12 of them ? Yes...plus 42 more who are screaming at me to keep them as my scissors get closer to their umbilical cords.

This 'simplifying' of my life is sure hard work...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #89  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very interesting thread! I think if I were starting out, this would be perfect but if I was starting out, I wouldn't know what colors I would actually use. I would love to get rid of some of the inks and paper I don't use but then I feel guilty about the money I spent on them. I've been reading a lot of uncluttering/simplifying blogs and books and I do believe that less is more -- less to maintain, less to choose from, less stress.

SU has the 13 getting started colors and that might be a good starting point if you were to consider something like this. Even if you don't use SU paper, you could look for those shades in other brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 AM   #90  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophmadView Post
I would love to get rid of some of the inks and paper I don't use but then I feel guilty about the money I spent on them. I've been reading a lot of uncluttering/simplifying blogs and books and I do believe that less is more -- less to maintain, less to choose from, less stress.

You needed all those inks and colors when you were a Demo so the money was not wasted. . Now they have outlived their usefulness!
If you don't like something or won't use it then give it away or throw it out. It is only adding a burden to your mind and weight on the foundation of your house LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #91  
Kookie Creator

I can totally see doing this, particularly after stamping for quite a few years. In the beginning I just had to have everything. Now... not so much.
Just like we each find our favorite style (example - CAS) we all have our "favorite" colors also, and I'm just guessing but I probably do 75% if not more cards using my favorites which is basically the Earth Elements grouping of old. I make a few changes seasonally but by and large I like the Earth Elements and Neutrals and use a few Subtles, Brights, or Regal colors just for the accents.
Reminds me of Cable TV - 250 channels and we watch maybe 20 max.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #92  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Color is my favorite thing in the whole world! Considering that I have at least 10 shades of teal/blue I might have a difficult time with this concept! I've been known to use 8 different colors (not all cardstock) on one card (I hear gasping from one of my faux friends!). I probably would be able to eliminate gray...I'd use silver instead...LOL! If I stuck with just one company like Papertrey or Gina K or used just Mohawk BriteHues it might be possible. Or if I ever move to the Caribbean then I would HAVE to cut way down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #93  
Cardstock Collector

I like the thought of simplifying my craft room, but not sure I could cut down on my paper supply. I have a soft spot for cardstock and patterned papers, and though I have enough to last a year or more I find that I still buy more when I see a bargain or something that I really like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #94  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

OMG! When I first read this I thought you must be having some kind of brain blip happening. I totally understand about paring down to unclutter and organize one's craft room---but card stock?!! I love, love, love the stuff and find myself using all of the colors. There was a time that Green Galore was a color I thought I wouldn't use, but SU sent it in my order by mistake and told me to keep it. That was way back 10 or so years ago. I use it all the time, as well as all the others retired, in, core or otherwise. I make room for them all by purging other things I don't use. I have very little DP (I make my own or buy it one piece at a time from my LSS if I need something special), and love how SU inks and other products match. I stock up on retiring card stock and am hyperventilating just thinking about years down the road when I use the last piece of some color. (Wait, I have to sit down.) I have mostly SU with a few exceptions, and do not feel a need to have all of everyone's card stock (until so many were just mentioned here!) Good luck in your endeavor. You are a better woman than I am, by far. I'm keeping by box of 120 crayons!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #95  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 3,113 Likes on 967 Posts

No way! This girl could NOT! I could easily add more.
Melody ~ Isaiah 40:31 Come join the Alphabet Challenge My GOD can do amazing things. Ephesians 3:20 gallery ~~ blog lilacs and butterflies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #96  
Kookie Creator

Joan, this is just crazy talk! Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #97  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

An interesting idea, but I couldn't survive on Joan's colour list. No chocolate chipish shade? No PURPLE? Horrors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #98  
Cardstock Collector

Smile Could you downsize to 12 colors?

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
I like the idea, but being a very visual person, there's no way I would attempt it for me. With some things I'm a "whatever" person, but when I'm creating certain things, I want "just the right color" - which means I want tons of choices available to get just the right mix. Plus between my two kids who have very different tastes in activities, I want a huge variety to choose from for scrapbooking pages. Now, space-wise, your idea is a very good idea and one I should really consider since my wants/needs and space availability don't exactly match up. Also, on your list, are you going to have a "neutrals" section like for browns (or do you not use a ton of them like I do)?

As for the person who said that she'd have to stick with one supplier, like SU, with SU's recent massive color changes, using one company for your colors isn't always do-able. MANY of SU's recently retired colors were my go-to colors, some I still haven't found a good match for (like Brilliant Blue which is the exact color of blue for my kids' school colors all the way through high school). So, you either had to stock up up (not always possible) or keep hunting or have to find something else that doesn't really look right.
Actually I have taken a piece of white card stock stamped with the SU inks that I want to match for cardstock colors and have found really close matches at Hobby Lobby. The cardstock I like best is textured and it has not faded the way the smooth cardstock can do at times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #99  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
As part of an effort to simplify the craft stuff, I'm thinking of gradually reducing my color cardstock to 12- 15 colors only. Has anyone successfully limited your stock this way?

then I would buy less of everything else that goes with it. I've come up with the following list.

3 blues
2 greens
2 reds
2 pinks
white
cream
black
kraft
1 yellow
1 orange

i have enough cardstock to last me a while, but i have run out of a few colors and that got me thinking....
I'm working on this Joan! I just simplified recently and it TOTALLY helped the mojo. Right now I have 2 reds, 6 pinks, 2 yellows, 5 greens, 4 blues, 2 blacks, and 2 creams. I could make is on less, but I already have it, so I'll use it before reordering. I find if one shade doesn't work, I can always use a neutral!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #100  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah!! I'm another one who could live without purples!! But my niece, who gets 40% of all the cards I make, has purple as her 2nd favourite colour! Blech.

I could easily see living with less colours of cardstock. The cardstock I use the most is Papertrey's Rustic Cream, Kraft, and Dark Chocolate. All the other colours are mostly just for matting. I have some gaudy disgusting greens just for my husband, 'cause that is his favourite colour (bright, eye-hurting gaudy green).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 AM   #101  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this thread is still making me smile! glad to hear that there are others who have successfully downsized the color department.

i got the Hero Arts Hues cardstock sampler yesterday. Not sure if I like the colors, but love the paper itself and the white side. So I may look into Memory box, which has more colors or just get a few Hero Arts ones.

this will take me YEARs!! I have so much of some colors. Why??? (that was a rhetorical question!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 06:44 AM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
OMG! When I first read this I thought you must be having some kind of brain blip happening. I totally understand about paring down to unclutter and organize one's craft room---but card stock?!! I love, love, love the stuff and find myself using all of the colors. There was a time that Green Galore was a color I thought I wouldn't use, but SU sent it in my order by mistake and told me to keep it. That was way back 10 or so years ago. I use it all the time, as well as all the others retired, in, core or otherwise. I make room for them all by purging other things I don't use. I have very little DP (I make my own or buy it one piece at a time from my LSS if I need something special), and love how SU inks and other products match. I stock up on retiring card stock and am hyperventilating just thinking about years down the road when I use the last piece of some color. (Wait, I have to sit down.) I have mostly SU with a few exceptions, and do not feel a need to have all of everyone's card stock (until so many were just mentioned here!) Good luck in your endeavor. You are a better woman than I am, by far. I'm keeping by box of 120 crayons!
That's pretty much how I feel. I have most of SU's card stocks and just went to Stamp Club last night and ordered Pink Pirouette. Can't wait to get it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #103  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
An interesting idea, but I couldn't survive on Joan's colour list. No chocolate chipish shade? No PURPLE? Horrors!
I bought JoAnn's card stock a few years ago and didn't like it at all! It wasn't very sturdy compared to SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

I color and stamp my cards to match whatever card stock I have around so I could totally do this!! I accessorize with what coordinates, not matchy matchy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #105  
Crimping Master

I could maybe see doing it... but probably not. I love lots of SU! colours, esp when combined together. I have, however, definitely cut down the # of colours I buy.

I keep my cardmaking cs separate from my sb cardstock. My 12x12 cs is for layouts and it's all Bazzill. I'm trying to use up what I have, and when it's gone I"m just going to buy what I need when I need it - make a month's worth of kits at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCatsView Post
That's pretty much how I feel. I have most of SU's card stocks and just went to Stamp Club last night and ordered Pink Pirouette. Can't wait to get it!
That is one of my favorite pinks evah! You're going to like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #107  
Embossing Fanatic

This thread has been so much fun for me to read! I don't think I could limit my colors and I have a lot. I LOVE COLOR! Just to see it all stacked up makes me smile. I sometimes just sit in my craft room and look at everything. Even bought a jar of gum balls at Cracker Barrel because it was a jar full of color! I had just bought all the inks, markers, cardstock, and some DSP that SU had. This was before anyone knew of the big color change. I wanted to have it all and have it all match. Then the big SU color change came and I was upset, but it got me to thinking. I could get all the new colors, but why???? I'm not a demo so it really didn't matter. And... if I did get them who's to say they won't change things again. I didn't get the new colors and am doing fine without them. Like some of the others here I think I'm going to try some other companies cardstock when my supply gets low. Of course, that could take awhile. <grin>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #108  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't think I could limit my colors of cardstock .... in fact, I think it is just plain impossible for me .... but you go girl!!

This has been great fun to read!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #109  
Glitter Queen

since my starting point is often patterned ribbon or DP I need my colors to coordinate layers. I don't have that large a stash but wouldn't want to be limited either. Sometimes I'll buy colored CS to go with a pad of DP so they will be available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #110  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by peggysueView Post
That is one of my favorite pinks evah! You're going to like it.
I thought I'd love it too. I've had it for over a year and the few times I used it I wished I'd used Pretty In Pink. For some reason it seems to washed out to me. Maybe if I paired it with Soft Suede, which I do not own!

Oh, yea...as some of you have mentioned about browns...I HAVE to have my chocolate chip...I use it ALL the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #111  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I thought I'd love it too. I've had it for over a year and the few times I used it I wished I'd used Pretty In Pink. For some reason it seems to washed out to me. Maybe if I paired it with Soft Suede, which I do not own!

Oh, yea...as some of you have mentioned about browns...I HAVE to have my chocolate chip...I use it ALL the time.
I have Pink Pirouette and I don't like it either. So many rave about it I thought I was missing something because I didn't really like it. I eventually bought Pretty in Pink which I do like . Pink Pirouette seems to have a pale peach cast to me
I have Soft suede and it doesn't improve for Pink Pirouette .
The other color I don't care for is Riding Hood Red. It is a very difficult red to match with most anything that is not SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #112  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, limiting your color choices is the same as limiting your creativity. However, I can see how this might work for some people. I would try cutting back on the co-ordinating products. It doesn't hurt to try, you can always change your mind again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #113  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I have Pink Pirouette and I don't like it either. So many rave about it I thought I was missing something because I didn't really like it. I eventually bought Pretty in Pink which I do like . Pink Pirouette seems to have a pale peach cast to me
I have Soft suede and it doesn't improve for Pink Pirouette .
The other color I don't care for is Riding Hood Red. It is a very difficult red to match with most anything that is not SU.
I found that Brilliance Pearlescent Poppy ink and Stickles Candy Cane glitter glue coordinate very nicely with Riding Hood Red. Sorry I don't have any photos to share but thought I'd pass it along anyway.

As for limiting color choices I really don't want to but I think I'd find it easier to limit colors of cardstock instead of colors of ink (I could always brayer white cardstock, kwim?)

But I love color and try to choose one suited for the intended recipient (my DH and live-in FIL both love blue so I have lots of shades), image or occasion. The more choices the better but the color can come from inks or embellishments too.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #114  
Rubber Obsessor

Well, I think I only have black and ivory or white. I guess I am more into one sheet/CAS when it comes to doing cards. I did just make one with a light blue index card. You can do borders with markers instead of cardstock (also keeps cards lighter). I really like the effect of metallic embossing on black cardstock, so if I were going to get more cardstock I would probably go for dark colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #115  
Rubber Obsessor

Now this is a thought that would have never entered my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 PM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have made several birthday cards lately (4 tonight) that are a winter theme using Bashful Blue and black. They go very nicely together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 AM   #117  
Kookie Creator

For those of us who use dp it will be difficult. But if you don't use dp that is a good idea. Dp is the reason why I buy so many different colours and brands of cardstocks. I am trying to reduce my dp but it will take years before I can reduce it substantially. Seriously I overspent on dp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #118  
Inking Addict

I really like this idea!!

But then again, I am new and all the paper I have I got second hand in one big bundle. I have been trying to use colors I don't have much or don't really care for of so I can figure out what I DO like and will use.

Paper is expensive, and that is an obstacle for me. It would be nice to see how those with more experience would trim their collections in order to be more efficient.

I don't use a lot of patterned paper. Instead I like using versamark ad stamps or wheels for the backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #119  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlyn JordanView Post
I really like this idea!!

But then again, I am new and all the paper I have I got second hand in one big bundle. I have been trying to use colors I don't have much or don't really care for of so I can figure out what I DO like and will use.

Paper is expensive, and that is an obstacle for me. It would be nice to see how those with more experience would trim their collections in order to be more efficient.

I don't use a lot of patterned paper. Instead I like using versamark ad stamps or wheels for the backgrounds.
LOL, not stalking you Caitlyn, I promise. I just hadn't seen this thread before and was halfway through before I realized it was an older thread.

I am definitely one of the more is more girls who could never limit to 15 colors, but having said that.....I do think it is doable with some very careful consideration and planning. First I think you would want to go with supplies that you can find color coordinating items like ribbon and background papers and embellishments. There are lots of options for that these days, but since you are limiting your color choices having those other options to add some color here and there would make life so much easier. Second I would think you would want to stick with one or two color hue families that work well together. If your favorite colors tend to be pastels then go with a larger grouping of those and add a few regal or gem tones that are in the same color hue. Then don't forget those neutral colors that work with anything.

Whether you are starting out or paring down I think it could work. Even though I want it all myself, I already kind of do this when I have to pare down to one or two bags for travel (DH works all over the country and I follow him around from time to time).

fun thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #120  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Have continued to follow this thread and it just occurred to me that if one wanted to limit their colors (I would not be in their company), it could be done the way I used to teach my clients when I was a color and wardrobe consultant. Start with 2-3 neutrals and add 2-3 colors that all coordinate together and with the neutrals. All accessories should be chosen in the same way. That way anything in your closet will go with anything else. As money permitted, another 1-2 neutrals and 1-2 colors could be added as long as they coordinated with each other and at least 1-2 of the originals. When I first started stamping I only had some construction paper left over from when my kids were little. It was quite brittle and in mostly neutral colors (the colors kids don't usually go for), so that's were I started when I actually started buying card stock. It might work, if one was careful for awhile. I eventually branched out and now have ALL the SU colors, and I'm in color heaven!
Reply With Quote Likes