Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-06-2022, 07:19 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Post Let's talk about paper

Have you used other types of paper when card making/paper crafting?
How do you use it? What is your favorite?

Along with all the scrap papers, I've been using more vellum, photo, rice paper, tracing paper, deli paper and handmade papers on my projects.
I've been printing more color digitals on vellum. I luv the effect and it only cost me pennies to do myself. The same goes for tracing paper.
Photo paper is used when I want to print glossy color digital images. Also used with alcohol inks, Distress Oxides, and inks.
Rice paper is also a favorite. I like stamping on it and I've printed in color on it with good results..
I stamp on deli paper with acrylics, plus gel printing.
Handmade paper is heavier with a lot of texture, great for layering.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 7 users liked this post by Bohodiva:
annebellissimo (03-10-2022), debable (03-09-2022), NinaBeth (03-09-2022), ozarkstamper (03-07-2022), Paula in GA (03-09-2022), Teachybaby (03-09-2022), wavejumper (03-09-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 08:39 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This is the perfect subject for me- Paper. I have everything. I mean everything. I love paper and have so many different kinds. I use them all on my cards and creations.

I have homemade, paper, mulberry, vellum, rice, specialty papers of all kinds. It would be such a long list of all the paper I have. My collection is bonkers but I love it so much. I even save beautiful packaging.

Truth time I hardly ever stamp on card stock. I am stamping on different kinds of paper. I love unique. When I want to color I am stamping on mixed media paper or other art paper. I use card stock as a base. Lately, I have stopped using card stock as a base and went back to watercolor paper and linen stock. I think it looks more elegant. My style is elegant.

Probably the one paper I would not miss is card stock. I do use it for paper piecing. Those little scraps packs have the perfect amount for me.

Printing if I can shove the paper in my printer then I will. I really love to print on presentation paper, glossy, vellum, acetate, various sticker papers. Sticker papers I have everything from the standard to
holographic.

My favorites to work with are anything metallic or pearlescent. I love good linen and luxurious art paper. Printing favorites are glossy, presentation.

Unique but cheap papers I love to stamp on-
Dollar Tree poster board. Inks just lay down beautifully.

Construction Paper. Yes, I went there, lol. I buy the acid/fade free version. It stamps like a dream. I got that tip from another stamper who asked not to have eggs thrown at her for suggesting construction paper, lol. Bohodiva since you & I are printing fiends try printing on it. Construction paper is a dream to print on.

Index Cards. I can’t be without my index cards. They are lovely to color on.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by lylacfey:
Bohodiva (03-07-2022), debable (03-09-2022), NinaBeth (03-09-2022), ozarkstamper (03-07-2022), Paula in GA (03-09-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 07:32 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for suggesting construction paper, I've never tried printing on it, but I'll give it a try.
I've seen images layered on top of construction paper and torn. The torn edge has a nice shadow of the construction paper around the edges.

I also have some specialty paper (papyrus, cork, texture wallpaper, etc.) that I'm hoarding. I purchased them 10 -20 years ago at stamp conventions. Why? I may not find them again...
I need to get over it and just tear them up for use in my projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Bohodiva:
gobarb26 (03-19-2022), lylacfey (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 07:58 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

My daughter brought home a huge package of newspaper print that she used for a project in college. She has no use for it, and I'm going to try it in my art journaling and mixed media. I had forgotten all about it until I was looking for some paper the other day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2022, 08:40 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for mentioning stickers lylacfey. I haven't printed digital backgrounds on labels yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2022, 09:14 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I LOVE rice paper and deli paper for gel printing for sure. And some handmade papers have SO much texture they can be used to create patterns in prints.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (04-01-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 11:04 AM   #7  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

This has been a fun thread to read! There are papers listed here that I didn’t know exist! I will be keeping my eye out for some of these finds to play with!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by ozarkstamper:
annebellissimo (03-10-2022), debable (03-09-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 04:52 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I just saw a post (can't remember which blog) that archival tissue paper is great for gel printing. I also like napkins for cards use the printed layer and then use the under layers to stamp on for semi-transparent images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2022, 10:56 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Bohodiva- Yes, take that papyrus out of your stash and start using it. Your beautiful style papyrus is just perfect for you. I just know it.

Love cork but I use it for home decor projects mainly as a backer. I love magnet paper to stamp, die cut & print on.

Newspaper Print- I just gave up my stash to two little boys who needed it. Can't say no to cutie pies, lol. I love newspaper print. I even like to print on it. I think it takes colored pencils so nice. Yes, use your crayons on it and do your techniques. Be a grown up kid and play with newspaper print.

Love tissue paper of all kinds. I tend to be a tissue paper fiend. My friends always tease me that they don't know if I am excited about the gift or the tissue paper it came in, lol.

Metal sheets are beautiful to work with. Don't forget acetate or transparencies.

My DH is a paper addict too. He has more journals than I do & pens. I just found him another journal this weekend & he needed it right then and there, lol. He finds the most beautiful paper and shares with me. If you have a man in your life who is a paper junkie don't be afraid to see what they have in their collection. Men can find the most luxurious papers to work with. My DH has given me linen paper that is so thick & luxurious it feels like leather.

I love napkins. Paper towels are fun to work with too.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by lylacfey:
Bohodiva (03-10-2022), debable (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 04:27 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Subbing. Good topic!

I am surprised to hear rice paper holds up to gel printing. I always thought of it as delicate? Or maybe I am confusing it with decoupage paper, but what I have is very similar to that. I would attempt a pull with that.

What weight vellum are you guys using in the printer?

And is one printer doing all those papers? or you have two? And which paper goes to which printer?

I have used thin metals to emboss with in a folder and then cut them into panels for triptychs

Right now I am thinking about how to get thin cotton fabric to adhere to CS without it warping. I was thinking I would try brushing/brayering on Aileens glue to get a smooth glue coat. I dont think a spray will be strong enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 658 Likes on 407 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Right now I am thinking about how to get thin cotton fabric to adhere to CS without it warping. I was thinking I would try brushing/brayering on Aileens glue to get a smooth glue coat. I dont think a spray will be strong enough.
Use some Jac paper on the back of your fabric. I don't know what it's called in the States, but it's just double-sided adhesive sheets. I use it whenever I want to add weight to thin paper backgrounds or any time that wet glue would cause warping on the substrate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2022, 10:50 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Subbing. Good topic!

I am surprised to hear rice paper holds up to gel printing. I always thought of it as delicate? Or maybe I am confusing it with decoupage paper, but what I have is very similar to that. I would attempt a pull with that.

And is one printer doing all those papers? or you have two? And which paper goes to which printer?

I have used thin metals to emboss with in a folder and then cut them into panels for triptychs

I've adhered cotton fabric to CS to use with tags and either spread a thin layer of plain Elmers glue on it, or used Heat and Bond, and ironed it on. Both methods have stood up for years, and I was able to cut my fabric-covered CS with a rotary cutter trimmer to whatever size I needed.
Otherwise, I use a lot of solid card stock, but also have (and use) watercolor paper, handmade papers, vellum, pearlescent and metallic papers, old packaging (my favorite), glossy paper, photo paper, corrugated cardboard, cork, burlap paper, and tissue paper. I have a bad tendency to hoard my really beautiful handmade papers, but am trying to use them now.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Bohodiva (03-10-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 10:55 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I use any and all papers in my stamping. Have tried all that have been mentioned, but some of my favorites are wallpaper from sample books, wrapping paper, tissue boxes, the metallic surfaced seals pulled off containers and even things that aren't paper at all---wood veneers, cork, tiles, rocks, fabric. The saying is, "If it doesn't move, stamp on it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2022, 06:06 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I've attached a few examples of background papers that have been stamped with ink and watercolor.
Pink and gold flower papers with text have been stamped with Archival ink. The images have been painted with metallic watercolors.
Paper is soft and smooth and tears and feathers like mulberry paper.
Art is Life background paper was stamped with Archival inks on deli paper.
Paper is thin, crisp and translucent
Attached Thumbnails
Let's talk about paper-metallic-wc-rice-paper-1.jpg   Let's talk about paper-metallic-wc-rice-paper-2.jpg   Let's talk about paper-archival-ink-deli-paper.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
debable (03-21-2022), DJwishes (03-10-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Paper/cardstock is the one medium I just can't stand to give away. I used to hoard lots of it, but as I age I've been using anything/everything I can find.
I love Red River Papers (especially the sample packs), and paper from a Chinese place in Atlanta, and I love to purchase books at our library sales & tear out pages to use. There are so many styles, types & sizes - it just never gets old for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Bohodiva (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 10:49 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Amazon- Printable Vellum. That will give you a good listing of all different kinds of vellum and various weights to work with. I have decent luck with non-printable vellum in my printers. I prefer printable because it has a nice coating to adhere the inks without smearing. Make sure you get the vellum that is made for your type of printer- ink jet or laser.

I have three printers- Two inkjets & one laser. I have so many because of my professional work. I also have state of the art Internet in an area that's still catching up to state of the art. One of my printers needs to be wi-fi. It can be temperamental with my ISP. I have a wired & wireless printer.

Both my inkjets can pretty much take any paper I put into it. I have a very nice HP Office Jet and it can put up it's hand and tell me to stop on some materials. It is bottom loading. Bottom loading printers can be a little temperamental if you can't manually feed the paper in the printer. I really can not with that printer.

My cheapie Canon printer that is wired is a little workhorse. She is top loading. So I can guide the paper.

Laser printers you need to be careful what material you use with them. In a simple way to explain it can "melt" the paper you are using. Best my peri brain could come up with, lol. When using materials for a laser printer make sure it is compatible. I can still put a lot of materials in there.

Cotton Fabric- Xyron is my favorites when adhering to cardstock. I have used Elmer's Glue too. Spray will definitely work. I can't use the spray because of my asthma. DH has sprayed fabric for me before. I know it works.

Reply With Quote Likes
Bohodiva (03-10-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 10:51 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
the metallic surfaced seals pulled off containers
I love those things. I see somebody throw away one of those and I am diving for it, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Subbing. Good topic!

I have and use one printer, HP Envy Photo 7155. I'm very satisfied with my print jobs on most of the papers previously listed. I haven't ran any textured (cork, embossed, wallpaper) papers through it for fear of messing up my printer.
As for adhering cotton fabric to cardstock, it all depending on your project. I use glue sticks to hold fabric pieces together for sewing. I've used gel matte medium, a thin layer of Aileen's tacky glue with good results. Experiment with what you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2022, 12:32 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

This is not paper but worth mentioning.
I purchased a couple of 4 yd spools of cork and wide linen ribbon 50% off at Joann's.
They'll make great elements for projects. I plan in dying them with reinkers and stamping on them...
Reply With Quote Likes
debable (03-21-2022), gobarb26 (03-19-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 11:17 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
This is not paper but worth mentioning.
I purchased a couple of 4 yd spools of cork and wide linen ribbon 50% off at Joann's.
They'll make great elements for projects. I plan in dying them with reinkers and stamping on them...
I love stamping and die cutting ribbon. I just love it, love it, love it! LOL. Before Pandemic I use to get so excited about Hobby Lobby when it was the rubber stamps/ribbon week.

The last time I went into Hobby Lobby was this Summer. I was so mad because it was paper crafting week and not ribbon. I was like I have the worst timing, ROFL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey,
As a thrift store lover, I always look at the sections where they have art supplies and office supplies for paper. Have found some interesting papers in those sections. Something resembling plasticized paper, stone paper, cotton letterhead, the various photo papers which have different coatings to explore and all for very cheap!

Robin

Last edited by robbinbobbin; 11-19-2023 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by robbinbobbin:
debable (03-21-2022), Dorie95 (04-01-2022), fl_beachbum (04-01-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 06:54 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Like most of you, I'm sort of a hoarder who is now starting to use things that have been collecting dust. My junk journal friend was horrified to hear that a few years ago I had my hubby take FOUR wallpaper books to the dump. I had not used them in years. She told me they cost big bucks now! I just had a crafting friend give me eight big rolls of colored metal. It is about the weight of a soda can, maybe a bit lighter. I'm wondering if that will cut with my thin dies, or if I'll ruin them? Any other suggestions on how to use it for card making?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 658 Likes on 407 Posts

I use thin aluminium to sharpen my punches, so it'd probably sharpen your dies as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Bohodiva (03-28-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 04:52 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

But the thin dies, the ones I'm most concerned about, don't have a true blade, they cut by putting pressure on the paper. I'd like to hear from anyone who has tried cutting a heavier foil with their dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2022, 06:24 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,164 Likes on 498 Posts

Hello everyone.
I have a paper question when you are buying dobbule sided 12x12 paper. Or and any size paper for that matter it said the paper weight 200+ GSM Is this heavy dobbule sided 12x12 paper. I am shopping Michaels And Hobby Lobby and Joanns. I am making Mothers Day Project. I need dobbule sided 12x12 paper. But I wanted heavy Thick dobbule sided 12x12 paper. So 200+GSM Thick paper? Or when They talk a GSM What is consider Thick paper? I am mostly like going used my cricut so why thick dobbule sided 12x12 paper? How do I tell the thickness of the paper? Thanks Linda
Reply With Quote Likes