Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few of each size but find myself hardly using them, not because I don't want to but because I like to make my own backgrounds, I can make the colors match perfectly, make as many as I like and never run out and have more satisfaction that I made the whole thing. I have told myself NO MORE patterned paper!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #42  
Embossing Fanatic

I like Shyla, am in Paperholics Anonymous. I am a paper addict, too. I buy 12 x12, 6x6, 8x8, and A4. I have uses for them all depending on the project. I utilize 12 x12 and 6x6 mainly for cards. I usually buy 6x6 in pads but tend to buy 12 x 12 in separate sheets as I do not like all sheets in a collection and mix and match collections for my mini albums/scrapbooks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

This discussion reminds me of quilters talking about their fabric stash (quilting is another addiction). So, I have 'a bit' of both! But I rarely buy, unless it is on sale. And then if I don't like some of it, I pass it on to a friend. Love the paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

If I like the paper (and I usually DO!) it doesn't matter what size the pack comes in. I will find a way of using it.

I do, however, tend toward the 12 x 12.

But I have so much right now that I won't EVER use it all up!!

I am Jansy, and I am a Paper Hoarder Par Excellence!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

Heart Paper

I, too, loooove all paper! 12x12 works best for multiple cards of the same pattern, 6x6 are perfect for a couple of quick cards. Could someone address storing paper? My single sheets are in drawers and I am considering those firm upright rectangular file- like ones. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 AM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

Default It's the Origami, Stupid!

LOL! So nice to know I�m not alone! I love the person who�s working on filling her *fourth* room with paper. I told my husband so he won�t feel so overwhelmed (see, I�m not so bad). I have been a paper-lover since at least 1965 and have a rather large collection. It really went viral when I discovered scrapbook paper and large cardstock around 2002. I usually buy the big pads, on sale, at Michaels and Joann. I buy 12�, 8�, 6�, and anything in between. I especially like the patterened 8.5x11 that�s come out in the last few years. I do make cards, don�t do scrapbooking at all, but most of my paper-shaping is making origamies. And the scrapbook papers are *ideal* for making envelopes, letterfolds, and, most especially, *boxes*. The 12� paper is good for teaching, too (the students can see what I�m doing with the bigger paper). The duo 12� papers are perfect for boxes that show both sides of the paper, they make stunning gift boxes. ..... Chila ///
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #47  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too am a paper hoarder! Love all sizes but tend to go for floral things! Perhaps we need an AA style support group. We can call it PHA (Paper Hoarders Anonymous)! I am using a lot of paper in my Silhouette Cameo so am using up a lot of what I have gathered for many years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

I don't think I read every reply but not many said what papers they like the best. For me its Bazzill for my solids and K&C Company for my prints. I pretty much like making more victorian looking or shabby chic type cards and these work well for me. When I want something more fun looking I tend to use BoBunny. I'm definately a paper freak! Anysize is good for me, tho usually I don't buy 4x6 pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #49  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I thought I was a paper addict until I started to read this thread. I do not buy any size pads...I'm fussy about colors matching just right. For the most part, I buy SU designer paper. I make cards and like the colors to match perfectly to the cardstock. I also have several paper packs from CTMH. Sometimes I buy 12 x 12 paper from my LSS..they usually carry cooking/food paper which I can't find elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #50  
Cardstock Collector

WOW!!! It is comforting to know I am not the only paperholic. I have a saying "there is never such a thing as too much paper". I card make only, for Operation Write Home, trying to send a box of 200 each 4-6 weeks. A 12x12 paper divides nicely to work for 6 cards. So I usually begin there then it would be a shame to leave out all the other beauties that come in other sizes so if it is out there, and I like it, size does not matter. My 12x12 are in drawers and on a wire rack, oh yes there are a few flat on a shelf too. The smaller sizes I keep in a zip bag to keep all scraps with the pad then in a crate and a couple of drawers near my work table. The quart bags work great to keep the 6x6 pads and their scraps wrangled. I too am trying to use down some of my collection. I still buy but try to use more than I buy and the older stuff first. I have found coloring to match my chosen paper works best then that older paper will surely match and get used first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

Looking for ideas on how everybody buys their card stock and what brands you like best. Do you shop online or buy locally. Do you buy packs or individual sheets?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #52  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why I love this board. I no longer feel like a weirdo for my intense love of paper! ;)

I started off with scrapbooking, so I have several pads of 12x12, a storage container of loose 12x12, and once I started with cardmaking, I tried the 4x6 size in solids. I've never bought any, but I'm liking the idea of a 6x6 patterned pad. It'll have to wait a while, though, because I have to use up some of what I have!

As far as brands go, I don't really pay attention to that. I'm on a tight budget, so my choice is dictated by price first, and what I like second, no matter who makes it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rubber BuggyView Post
Looking for ideas on how everybody buys their card stock and what brands you like best. Do you shop online or buy locally. Do you buy packs or individual sheets?
On basic card stock I tend to stick to Bazzil and have chosen a group of much loved colors to use. I keep a large zip bag labeled for each color for my scraps so they can be used first and when Archivers does a buy 10 get 10 sale, I check my supplies and buy the ones that are getting low. This comes to about .35 each 12x12 sheet. Bazzil is sold in so many places that by sticking mostly to one brand I find there is less waste. Also by getting it by the sheet you get what you will use and not have to figure out how to use the colors in a pack you do not like or use as much of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I purchased some SU DP packs in a few of my favorite colors and have used them little by little. Otherwise, I never buy packs of any size or brand, just single sheets and maybe 2 of the same and then rarely and lately (the last 3 years) have bought none. Like to make my own and also use wallpaper samples for texture.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel like I am in fantastic company with my paper addiction! LOL!! I, too, have a real problem with hoarding the paper I really like no matter if it is solid or printed.

I like the different sizes for different reasons, the smaller pads have smaller prints and are good for a single card but the 12x12 are great when you are doing a swap and are making multiples. The drawback I have found to some of the newer 12x12 packs out there now is they are making them with scrapbooking in mind and it is getting harder to cut them down with the distressed or colored edges and flourishes or what have you in the corners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #56  
Embossing Fanatic

I must be in the minority but I have been scrapbooking before it was fashionable - started with 8 1/2x11 then moved on to 12x12 then did a bunch of little albums but I am now quite fond of my 8x8 albums now. I have "my favorite pictures" album for example where I have just one 4x6 picture per page and enough room around it to add captions and title without being overly fussy like I am with my 12x 12 layouts. So I have amassed some 8x8 packs and I love them. It's also a great size to give as a gift for a wedding or a special event- dress up the album, put a accent in the corner and all the receiver has to do is add a picture per page. Easy. I can also use 8x8 paper cut into quarters to add a little 4x4 accent on my 4 1/4x 5 1/2 cards too. I use a lot of my 12x 12 DSP for cardmaking for classes because I can get 9 4x4 squares out of one sheet so everyone can have the same print. I still like my formal albums to be 12x12 so I guess that is my most frequent purchase though. Last I organized my paperstacks, I had 3 shelves full of it which stacked on floor would be about 9 feet tall! I use my left over 12x12 to make bags for gifts, baskets and teabag holders etc. This post makes me happy to see that I am not alone in my obsession with pretty papers....

my blog: http://stampingdoc.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
My name is Jukie, and I am a non discriminating paper size paper hoarder (say that quickly 5 times lol!)

I love paper, always have always will! I love the smell, the feel ...yep I loooooooooooove paper.

I buy any size that catches my eye, the only thing I tend not to buy is single sheets, but if a pattern caught my eye enough I would.

I spent this weekend sorting my 12X12 paper in their Iris boxes (or equivalent and I now have, blue, green, purple, pink, red, white, black, yellow, neutrals all in separate boxes (and they are pretty much full) and I have two more full of paper/card packs that are not separated out into colour family yet.....so yes I have 12 iris boxes full of 12x12...:oops:

I then have 8x8 (not that much well maybe 2 stacks that is about 12inches high) 6x6 is about the same 2 stacks about 12 inches high, and then about 12 inches high 4x6 and about another 12 inches of various other sizes....did I mention I love paper:rolleyes:

When I was going through my 12x12 I pulled out about 3 inches of paper that I knew I would not use, and my coworkers daughter is 8 and loves to craft...so those were sent to a loving home
You make me smile!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I'm a cardmaker I use the 6x6 pads. I also get the 8x8 pads to cut out graphics for my cards. Graphic 45 is the best for that now that they make coordinating 6x6 also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I buy mostly 6x6 and I have at least 50. I buy 8x8 only if 6x6 isn't available like October afternoon, PTI and Graphic 45. I have 20 or so of those. I buy 12 x 12 if I may use them for scrapping so boy, baby, summer themes or anything I absolutely adore or anything I may use for home dec or larger projects like art/mixed media canvases. Then I need the bigger paper.

I love the tiny investment a small paper pad provides especially when I get them half off from scrapbook steals! Who can pass up so many sheets of cute paper for 2.99!! I know I can't. They store small too, I keep mine in CD storage boxes called Kasset from IKEA.

I never buy multiples because no matter how much I love a pack, I know another gorgeous pack is just around the corner. A pack would have to be super special for me to buy more than one. I NEVER buy single sheets unless I have a specific plan in mind and will use it NOW! Like red and white gingham for BBQ invitations. I have WAY too many orphaned papers in my stash I love but are too hard to use with my style.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rubber BuggyView Post
I only buy in packs and only online from Taylored Expressions, SU! or PTI. Rarely I use Coordinations or Doublemates but that's mostly old stock. I also have old Bazzil stock from scrap kits I used to subscribe to. All good quality.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #61  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can't stand it...I have to add my two cents to the pile. All of you gals said what I would have said but the part I have to add is that not only do I loooooooove paper but I have a hard time cutting into the really beautiful flowery, stuff! Oh, like A Ladies Diary by Graphic 45; I absolutely love their papers across the board. AND I love Websters Pages. All 6x6 or 8x8 for me. BUT, MY BIGGEST PET PEEVE in the card stock business is the DOUBLE SIDED PAPERS. Is there a clandestine plan behind that? Some papers are so gorgeous that I could just frame the sheet of paper. I did that over my stove (but under the cupboard above the splash) with 4 little 5x7 black frames. The paper was and is one of my all time favorite from Basic Grey. It is soo soo cool. I do have 4 drawers of solid 12x12 colored card stock that I use all the time for the base of my cards. I too, quit buying 12x12 designer papers....hardly ever use them as it takes me forever to "match up" everything to coordinate. Well, now I feel better thanks to all the unloading this thread brought! I'm okay now! LOL. Thanks ladies for indulging me! This has been so gooood!

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 04-11-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #62  
Kookie Creator

If buying 12x12 in singles, I will buy 4 sheets each of 1 pattern if I absolutely love it, or its a staple. For scrapbook layouts, I find having 4 of one allows me to do a double-page layout and still have left-over for more pages/embellishments.

I purchased an old vintage crib where it stores my albums and 12 in pads, and I hoard because I know that one day - when the pattern or design is no longer available, I will be glad I have those! I already look at some of my old albums and wistfully wish I had more of old designs...
I am disturbed by the availability of 12 inch sheets in singles that are poor quality - flimsy. I used to be able to shop and find lots of heavier Basic Gray for instance, and now I can't. Too few local shops and Michaels is beginning to carry their own brand mostly, but their Recollections pads are still good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beverly T.View Post
... and I hoard because I know that one day - when the pattern or design is no longer available, I will be glad I have those! ..
So we are not really hoarding but planning for the future!! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #64  
Kookie Creator

Lol, exactly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #65  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
I have a few of each size but find myself hardly using them, not because I don't want to but because I like to make my own backgrounds, I can make the colors match perfectly, make as many as I like and never run out and have more satisfaction that I made the whole thing. I have told myself NO MORE patterned paper!
I like your idea of making your own backgrounds for your cards. Could you please tell me more? Do you make the background on the front of the card-base c.s. and then add a stamped image onto that? Do you use a large piece of white paper and make a bckgrnd on the whole paper, then cut it down to be smaller pieces for the fronts of your cards? If you do use a large paper, what kind of paper is it?

Hope you have time to explain. Many thanks for sharing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #66  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

When I first started cardmaking I bought a couple of packs of SU designer paper, but regretted it as I have still not made my way through all the sheets! I also used to buy multiples of single 12x12 sheets online, thinking if I liked a pattern then the more the better. However, I then found I'd make a few cards with it and had got it out of my system so then had extra paper hanging around.

Now I prefer buying single sheets of 12x12 and am cannier - now I know how to make the paper last, and that I can just use strips of it, etc. I love Echo Park papers the most, and last year found a Christmas themed 6x6 pad I liked that I was happy to buy (Papermania).

I do get very attached to some papers though and try and eke them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

I am a paper addict/lover/hoarder. Any size I'm not picky. (Wish I were. :-) ) When I buy single sheets of 12 x 12 I buy at least two. I do love the 6 x 6 pads because the patterns are smaller for cards. I do like the double sided because I make a lot of paper gift boxes and then I don't have to line them.

Sad to say, I find some of the prettiest patterns hard to part with. But I have to get over this because I have enough paper to last many lifetimes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #68  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyofcardsView Post
I too am a paper hoarder! Love all sizes but tend to go for floral things! Perhaps we need an AA style support group. We can call it PHA (Paper Hoarders Anonymous)! I am using a lot of paper in my Silhouette Cameo so am using up a lot of what I have gathered for many years!
But wait. Don't you have to want to get over your addiction for AA style programs to work? I don't think I'm ready to get better yet. :lol:
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Paper is always an interesting topic for discussion!

I've been wondering lately if I could do completely without patterned paper and just make my own. I do make my own sometimes. . . but then I see those beautiful paper pads and I can't resist them. Plus they inspire me.

I purchase primarily 6 x 6 pads. Currently, I have one ArtBin Semi-satchel of 6 x 6 pads, with a few more pads of holiday paper. I'll buy 8 x 8 if that's the only size available, and sometimes even buy 12 x 12 single sheets.

Favorite companies?? The first ones that come to mind are Basic Grey, Webster's Pages, Graphic 45, Farmhouse Paper Company, Paper House, and recently I also purchased some from Jillibean Soup, My Mind's Eye and Kaisercraft.

I absolutely will no longer buy multiple packs of the same paper! I've done that in the past and I end up not using it all. Something new always catches my eye .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #70  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,492 Posts
Default I am a paper hoarder!

I have been crafting for the last 15 years, and have lots of paper! I have a 12x12 drawer for each, red, blue, green, yellow, white, and black. Then I have one for Special Prints, and three more that are special too. Then I have two large plastic files on the floor, one with all Su! DP,and one for other. This is all for 12xs12. I then have 6 smaller plastic files full of the Su! solid colors. None of this counts the "pads" of paper I have. No place to put those except to stack them on top of my work area. I am sure that is not all my paper! One person says they hate to use it. I am like that sometimes! If I use it, I won't have it.... Okay, I make cards, scrapbook, and make special paper crafts- sacks, boxes favors, etc for church programs. But still I know I will never use all this paper, and yet, I just bought more at Joann's over the weekend!
I am glad I am not alone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 AM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have nearly the paper the rest of you have. (jealous! lol) I prefer buying the 12x12 since I scrapbook and make cards but have some of all sizes except the 8x8. So I have a question about storage. Do you store your paper by color or by size and then color? I'm working on organizing mine now before I (hopefully hee hee) build my collection. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 AM   #72  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Because I scrapbook, I buy mostly 12X12 packs. I love Stampin' Up DSP because it matches the cardstock! I do buy other paperlines that I like, but most of the time they end up being 12X12.

I do like 8X8 pads. October Afternoon has some 8X8 paper packs, it is cheaper for me to buy the paper pack and then I can buy the accessories that match. I find it fun to use an 8X8 pack on a scrapbook page!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #73  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I keep all my card stock together by color families. I do the same with my designer paper except for the very few I have picked up along the way that are themed, and those I keep in one file with all like themes together. I make most of my designer paper or find it on packages, in magazines, wallpaper samples, etc. and repurpose it as I only make cards. However those that I have bought are 12x12 and were purchased singly---never by the pack. I use them up little by little on cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #74  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

I make a lot of card set holders so I LOVE 12 by 12 double sided paper. Last year I bought mostly K & Company and Authentique because I did not care for a lot of SU's patterns. This year, I think they are gorgeous, so I'm buying lots of them I too, really like using SU because the ink, card stock and ribbons match do beautifully.

I rarely buy the small size unless I am in love with the patterns.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am sure you all would not believe what a paper ho I am. I have paper in 4 rooms now. I easily have over 500 6 x 6 pads. I store them in piles by maker and write on the spines the maker and name of pad. I have an abundance of 12 x 12, 8.5 x 11 pads and 8 x 8. I wont even try tovtell you how much of each...LOTS! So everytime I get paper for a project I tell myself I dont need another piece of paper...ever. Then the ck convention comes to town and they have MME/Theresa Collins 12 x 12 collection packs and 6 x 6 pads for $2.00 each...I spent a lot in that booth. I am never going to see it that cheap again! Oh well....at least I am not alone in this addiction.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 AM   #76  
Embossing Fanatic

Oh no...the CK convention has 6x6 paper pads for $2??? I think I'm in trouble come the end of this month now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

I'm primarily a scrapbooker so buy mainly the 12" size, but do also make cards and have the 6" pads too as I like the smaller patterns for my cards.

I have bought paper pads in the past, but don't anymore as I only use the paper that I really like and have leftover sheets that just gather dust.

For cardstock I use Bazzill. For patterned paper I have collections from a large variety of manufacturers and buy what appeals to me at the time, rather than buying 'a name'. After scrapbooking for more than 10 years, I've probably bought paper from most manufacturers over that time and their styles seem to go through various cycles e.g. I used to love Basic Grey, but I'm not a fan of their ranges at the moment. BoBunny have had some lovely ranges, but others I've detested - so the manufacturer isn't what's important to me. Having said that, I do find myself reaching regularly for Kaisercraft and Graphic 45 (esp the 'B' side of G45 papers).

When buying individual sheets of double sided PP, I tend to buy 3 sheets of the one paper - I use 2 as the 'A' side of double layout pages and 1 for 'B' side co-ordinating layers & embellishments.

Sigh....love my PP and like many of the other posters, have more than I'll probably use in my lifetime. :oops: ;)
Reply With Quote Likes