Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #161  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops saw the answer after I posted. My husband started a business a while back and it was slowly growing and then a couple of months ago there was a huge jump in business.

Since others have offered their opinion of swapping here's mine. I think as a beginning stamper it was a great way to get exposed to differnt companies and their stamp styles. When I have participated in swaps it has been to try a new company and I have asked for any (random) image that they make. I used this example in another thread: someone stamped me two random Riley stamps. Now I own most of them, including those two images that were stamped for me. Same thing with other swaps I have participated in; one swap and then I either buy or not. The companies I end up not buying from are the ones that I (because of my talent level) can't do a good job with.

This has been very interesting reading, thanks for everyone chiming in!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #162  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think this is more a matter of the scale of the internet being the problem. Nobody's saying anything about sharing with your sister or pals that come over to stamp with you. It's more the whole structured, widespread swapping kind of thing. I know I've filled out rebate forms for coupons that say they do not allow redemption of coupons to those involved in coupon exchange groups. Same principal as this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #163  
Chat Box Chicks Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamboView Post
Okay, I'll bite. I agree with all those who say that either selling stamped images or trading stamped images interferes with a company's ability to profit from their own original ideas and creations. I think it is absolutely WRONG for people to sell stamped images. I have no problem with someone using our stamps to make cards or altered objects to sell. (I know some companies do not agree with this idea, so I'm speaking only for my company's policy.) That's different, because the person who assembles the card is using some of their OWN creative process for a different end result than what my stamp alone provides. But if you just stamp off images and sell them, you're not creating anything new -- you'd only be profiting from MY creation.

I'm also opposed in many respects to the trading of images. Now before people jump on me, let me explain: If the trading is circumventing a sale, then I believe it's wrong. There are some people who trade "RAK" images. To me, if an image is randomly traded -- which means that you receive a surprise image in the mail to use -- then it's a fun thing. But when you specifically say "I need the Hambo 'elephant' stamped off" (as an example) and someone stamps that for you, it's NOT random. If the person NEEDS that image, then the stamp should be purchased. If the original purchaser then stamps all the needed images for all of their friends, then the artist of that design has been left out of the equation and cannot profit from his or her own creation. If the artists want their work passed around freely, I think they'd offer their designs on free clip-art pages. If it's found on a website with a price next to it, then clearly the artist is not GIVING it away.

I think the "Golden Rule" applies to so many things in life, including this situation. If stamp-making were YOUR business, how would you feel about people using your designs without paying for them? If you work in a corporate environment, would you want a colleague getting a pay raise because they merely presented a report for which YOU'D done all the work? If you were a fashion designer, would you want someone else to sell the patterns that you'd created? I could give many more examples, but I think you see what I'm saying. Treat others as you'd like to be treated yourself. (Unless you're a masochist! LOL)
Ok, just woke up for an update and found a lot.

First of all the above highlighted comment is what I was referring to. Now, I could be wrong, but when I read that....it tells me that when I ask my friend for a couple images of the pig in the outhouse....that is wrong! Isn't that what is being said, or am I totally misreading things.

eta: I AM TOTALLY AGAINST SELLING IMAGES...just so you all know that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #164  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamboView Post
We don't use an order form - the customer emails the order - so they can use all the room they want!
When I ordered the HAMBO stamps I found through WISH RAK I did not state why I was ordering them. I just ordered. I NEVER tell a company WHY I am ordering something. I just do. I am also sure there are MANY other customers just like me.

I will in the future add the companies against trading images to my decision if I really want to order from them now and in the future. I do not want to go against Angel Policies and against the companies if they do not want their images shared or this type of free adervertising.

This thread has been a real learning experience. I will continue to play WishRak. And yes from past threads I had read there ARE companies that do like this type of advertising and do not mind that we grant wishes and PIF with their stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #165  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsAudreyAnnView Post
Thank You Jeanne...

I totally agree.....we have how many posts in this thread with how many different perspectives on the issue?? I believe everyone has their own opinion and I respect their opinion.....just as I hope they will respect my opinion.

But, I will have to admit....when it comes to sharing stamped images of, or from, stamps that I have purchased.....whether or not it is done in my own home with friends, or done in a swap, done through Wish-RAK, or shared at a get together.....I will have to think twice about purchasing stamps from a company who opposes sharing of stamped images. I would not want to violate their policies....I would hold their policy and opinion true!! It is the right as a business owner to incorporate the policies that fit their business best.....right?? Its not my place to violate their policy or opinion and won't.

Thanks for allowing me my opinion.
Well Said! I also will be doing this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #166  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I think this is more a matter of the scale of the internet being the problem. Nobody's saying anything about sharing with your sister or pals that come over to stamp with you. It's more the whole structured, widespread swapping kind of thing. I know I've filled out rebate forms for coupons that say they do not allow redemption of coupons to those involved in coupon exchange groups. Same principal as this.
This seems to be an oft-overlooked part of the equation.

The internet has literally changed *everything*.

The "spirit" of most angel policies is such that they grant a limited license to the purchaser of the stamp to reproduce the image by hand-stamping, for their personal use (meaning, their personal use, not the purchaser + unlimited additional persons) and often, but, not always, this license may also grant permission for the purchaser to hand-crafted/stamped FINISHED items for resale (these items cannot be assembly line produced nor can the images be mechanically reproduced, and in some cases there are also limitations as to the # of items that can be made and sold in a calendar year with a given image).

Most angel policies probably do not have a clause specific to swapping images, and I am guessing that may be because the volume at which it occurred back in pre-internet days, was not sufficient enough to warrant a need, as was mentioned earlier in the thread.

If we're talking a group of friends sitting around a table, stamping with each others' stamps and swapping a few images, that's one thing.

But, as has been mentioned several times previously, the internet has made the volume at which this occurs a very different beast to contend with.

Yes, this has been a very interesting discussion.

I appreciate seeing ALL the various perspectives presented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 AM   #167  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'm also opposed in many respects to the trading of images. Now before people jump on me, let me explain: If the trading is circumventing a sale, then I believe it's wrong. There are some people who trade "RAK" images. To me, if an image is randomly traded -- which means that you receive a surprise image in the mail to use -- then it's a fun thing. But when you specifically say "I need the Hambo 'elephant' stamped off" (as an example) and someone stamps that for you, it's NOT random. If the person NEEDS that image, then the stamp should be purchased.
Quote:

If the original purchaser then stamps all the needed images for all of their friends, then the artist of that design has been left out of the equation and cannot profit from his or her own creation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbywomanView Post
Ok, just woke up for an update and found a lot.

First of all the above highlighted comment is what I was referring to. Now, I could be wrong, but when I read that....it tells me that when I ask my friend for a couple images of the pig in the outhouse....that is wrong! Isn't that what is being said, or am I totally misreading things.

eta: I AM TOTALLY AGAINST SELLING IMAGES...just so you all know that.
The blue part is where things get sticky and what Monica has described as "circumventing" the sale of the stamp.

It's about volume vs. reasonable quantity. Asking a friend for a reasonable quantity or "sampling" is one thing--I think most companies understand and do not object to that kind of "sharing".

But, asking for 25 of a specific image in order to use the artwork without fair compensation to the artist is another, and is not really what I'd call "sharing", IMHO.

Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #168  
Crimping Master

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond sooner myself, but Julie explained it perfectly. As she said, it's not a big deal when we're talking about a few images being traded. But there are times when the quantities become less about SHARING, and more about SUPPLYING. That's where the problem comes in.

I don't want to dwell on this thread any longer, so I will try to clarify where Hambo stands on the issue, and then if you want to further clarify or argue the points with me, please PM or email me because I don't have time to keep checking back:

Hambo Stamps is opposed to:
  • Selling stamped images
  • Supplying (through WRAK or swaps) so many images that the recipient(s) would no longer need to purchase the stamp, or circumventing what would otherwise have been a sale.

Hambo Stamps is fine with:
  • The buying of stamps
  • Sharing a few stamped images with a friend for "sampling" purposes.
  • Sending a few random stamped images to a friend.

Still, this is only speaking for MY company, so you might want to check with other companies to see where they stand on the issue.

If my policy is deemed unreasonable and causes me to lose customers, then so be it. But I AM in a business with the intent of making money from my ideas, creations and hard work, and must make decisions for my business based on what my gut tells me is the right thing for me. Sometimes the right decision is not the popular one ... and sometimes the decision ends up being the WRONG decision, but I take ownership of it either way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #169  
Hardware Hotshot

Monica, thank you for clarifying your policy with us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #170  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That sounds more than fair (and very clear!) Monica. Thanks again for being so sweet and sharing your views on this topic!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #171  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Ditto what Jeanne said! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:47 AM   #172  

I've been following this and have choose not to muddy the waters more than they already are, however since we've heard from the "owner/artist/designer" side and since we have many people from WishRak who are responsing with a bit of "fear factor" and belief that folks are seeing WishRak as single handedly destroying stamp companies futures, I thought I'd chime in and share some of the WishRak rules.

While I've been a WishRak member for quite some time, I've only recently became a mod down there, so in essence I'm still wet behind the ears ;) I hope my fellow WishRakkers don't mind me sharing this.

In WishRak we don't allow folks to wish willy nilly, see below in red:

Quote:

1) When a Wish has been granted for the 3rd time, the Volunteer Updater will automatically move that wish to the Closed Wish Sheet.

2) For those of you who would like to close the wish after receiving it the 1st or 2nd time, may still do so. Just post *Mods - Please close this Wish* Thank You!!
So we do limit how many how many times you can receive it, and if you love it and want to buy it you're requested to close it, on the flip side if you hate it and don't want anymore you're allowed to close it. We also only allow people to make 3 wishes per day and when we "grant" wishes we send 6 to 8 quarter sheets of C/S to each other.

Do we have generous stampers who will double the amount they send? Heck ya! Most stampers are generous!

Do we have some greed and someone will turn right around and re-post a wish after we've closed it?
Ya, but we're not the stamp police ;)

And to go back to the OP - I don't think anyone in WishRak would agree to the selling of images!

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
The CreativeCrew <The Gallery
CreativeCrew Play Along <The Challenges

Last edited by pattyb; 03-17-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #173  

Hi Julie ;)

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #174  
Gabfest Goddess

First off.....Thank You Monica for clarifying your policy.

________

I would like to add to what Patty posted above....not to sway anyone or try to convince anyone to change their opinion.....just some added information about Wish-RAK.

For most part, the wishes that do stay open for 3 times....are the general wish....ie.....High Hopes ~ any.....when a member (for most part) is looking at a new stamp company to them. Very seldom, with a general wish like this do you get duplicate images.

Now, I will agree....prior to Jan of this year.....when we over-hauled Wish-RAK and its rules / guidelines......we did allow members to keep their wishes open indefinately. We spent several weeks discussing this prior to the new rules. I will admit, the bottom line was....we did feel *there were a few* members who appeared to be greedy by not closing wishes.....but, the majority *did* close their wishes after it being granted two or three times.

I truly believe in my heart that MOST Wish-RAK members are good hearted, and very generous. However, we will ((I should say, I will)) make the necessary changes at Wish-RAK to abide by the member company policies.

Thank You!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 AM   #175  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
When I ordered the HAMBO stamps I found through WISH RAK I did not state why I was ordering them. I just ordered. I NEVER tell a company WHY I am ordering something. I just do. I am also sure there are MANY other customers just like me.

I will in the future add the companies against trading images to my decision if I really want to order from them now and in the future. I do not want to go against Angel Policies and against the companies if they do not want their images shared or this type of free adervertising.

This thread has been a real learning experience. I will continue to play WishRak. And yes from past threads I had read there ARE companies that do like this type of advertising and do not mind that we grant wishes and PIF with their stamps.
I also used to be 100% Stampin' Up!. Then I was exposed to Wish-RAK and fell in love with stamps from other manufacturers. I feel bad that some stamp companies feel threatened by sharing images. Sorry, but I bought the stamp and want to use it as I see fit. So, I am also going to base future purchases on whether or not I can share stamped images once in a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 AM   #176  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracy-StamperView Post
Just to be clear -

It is ok to stamp images for Hannah stamps and MFT to share with friends or SCS'rs (meaning a handful because I usually send a few in case they make boo boos)?
We think it is fine to do this. Hanna Stamps has no problems with sharing our images, it is when one sells these images, that becomes the problem.
I know I myself have used my friends images for cards. Maybe one does want to see if this set or stamp would work for them, or I have even had many buyers after they "tried" out a friends.
We, Hanna Stamps, just dont want people stamping them off and selling them.
I mean, who hasn't ask to stamp off a few images to color for themselves?
Just don't sell them...

My blog @
www.kreationsbykrissy.com

TIMMY HO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #177  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
The thing is, you can disagree all you want, but in the end, that image belongs to and has been copyrighted by the stamp company you purchased from. It is ultimately their decision what is allowed under that copyright. Yes, you purchased the stamp, but you are the one that is responsible for abiding by their copyright policy.
Technically, it's up to the copyright LAW, not the individual company's opinion. How are they going to "police" this? If someone is selling something, that can be stopped by contacting ebay, the store, or whatever. If necessary, the law can even be brought in.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 AM   #178  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hanna Stamps!View Post
We think it is fine to do this. Hanna Stamps has no problems with sharing our images, it is when one sells these images, that becomes the problem.
I know I myself have used my friends images for cards. Maybe one does want to see if this set or stamp would work for them, or I have even had many buyers after they "tried" out a friends.
We, Hanna Stamps, just dont want people stamping them off and selling them.
I mean, who hasn't ask to stamp off a few images to color for themselves?
Just don't sell them...
Thank You Kristi

I totally agree, I do not believe it is ethical to sell stamped images, nor would I buy them. Heck, if I'm gonna buy stamped images, why not just buy the stamp...and have it to use over and over. Buying stamped images just doesn't make logical sense to me!

Again, Thank You for clarifying your company policy and opinion. Have a GREAT day!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #179  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
Sorry guys, Of COURSE you are entitled to your opinions. I don't know why I posted that. Especially when Monica posted her own side. She doesn't need me to stick up for her, especially when really you all DO have the right to decide who to buy from for any reasons you wish.

I can totally see that if you enjoy participating in Image Swapping that you'd not want to buy from a company that wasn't friendly to it.

If you can accept my apology for my tone I'd appreciate it.

Erin, I think your post was fine...you wanted to defend Monica and I think that is honorable, personally. JMO! :mrgreen: I also think it is good to hear that Hambo has been generous to you.

There are always a lot of opinions on any topic, and while I agree that no one should be chastised for offering their opinion, it is also understandable that you wouldn't want to buy from a company that prefers you not share the stamps--simply because, you may not recall that later. Not to "punish" the company (although I think some posts did sound like that, too). Policies have consequences, for good and bad, and each company has to weigh those!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #180  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

First off.....Thank You Monica for clarifying your policy.

________

I would like to add to what Patty posted above....not to sway anyone or try to convince anyone to change their opinion.....just some added information about Wish-RAK.

For most part, the wishes that do stay open for 3 times....are the general wish....ie.....High Hopes ~ any.....when a member (for most part) is looking at a new stamp company to them. Very seldom, with a general wish like this do you get duplicate images.

Now, I will agree....prior to Jan of this year.....when we over-hauled Wish-RAK and its rules / guidelines......we did allow members to keep their wishes open indefinately. We spent several weeks discussing this prior to the new rules. I will admit, the bottom line was....we did feel *there were a few* members who appeared to be greedy by not closing wishes.....but, the majority *did* close their wishes after it being granted two or three times.

I truly believe in my heart that MOST Wish-RAK members are good hearted, and very generous. However, we will ((I should say, I will)) make the necessary changes at Wish-RAK to abide by the member company policies.

Thank You!!
I just want to clarify that the person who received 150 images for her daughter's wedding invites was through a yahoo group, NOT wish-rak... I didn't intend for the members of that forum to feel "picked on" especially since you obviously have guidelines in place to prevent exactly what we were talking about as far as circumvention of sales goes....

My apologies if anyone on the wish-rak threads felt they were being targeted...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #181  
Splitcoast Member Company

A very intresting thread, our Angley Policy is clear, no selling of stamped images.

We have a huge problem with this in Europe, ebay is easy to police, just a quick email pointing out the copyright infringment and they remove the listing, but we do have to keep on top of this.
BUT we also have web shops selling images from every stamp company you can think of, these people will stamp anything and everything to order no matter what your Angel Policy is. They do not answer emails and many don't even have a phone number or address, so it is very difficult to police.

We have freelance illustrators design for us and they have strick copyright rules, we have to do our best to protect thier work.

We even had card makers print coloured peeks from the blog and share the pic on a forum, cards were being made with a print off from the blog!

Swaps and RAK are a different thing all together and we do allow these in moderation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #182  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarNellieView Post
A very intresting thread, our Angley Policy is clear, no selling of stamped images.

We have a huge problem with this in Europe, ebay is easy to police, just a quick email pointing out the copyright infringment and they remove the listing, but we do have to keep on top of this.
BUT we also have web shops selling images from every stamp company you can think of, these people will stamp anything and everything to order no matter what your Angel Policy is. They do not answer emails and many don't even have a phone number or address, so it is very difficult to police.

We have freelance illustrators design for us and they have strick copyright rules, we have to do our best to protect thier work.

We even had card makers print coloured peeks from the blog and share the pic on a forum, cards were being made with a print off from the blog!

Swaps and RAK are a different thing all together and we do allow these in moderation.
Just as Hambo does... everything in moderation and there is no problem...

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #183  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampHunter68View Post
I just want to clarify that the person who received 150 images for her daughter's wedding invites was through a yahoo group, NOT wish-rak... I didn't intend for the members of that forum to feel "picked on" especially since you obviously have guidelines in place to prevent exactly what we were talking about as far as circumvention of sales goes....

I just wanted to stand up with you in that clarification, since I was referring to the story you shared, in some of my previous posts. I don't believe I alluded or implied that that particular instance occurred through WishRAK, but just that it was an example of how image RAKing or swapping through the internet played a part in that situation, and that it is a legitimate concern for companies.

Last edited by JulieHRR; 03-18-2009 at 04:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #184  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by pattybView Post
Hi Julie ;)
So, I'll feel dumb if I'm not the Julie you meant, but, I'm still gonna say "Hi!" and wave like a maniac, anywayzzzzzzzzz!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #185  

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
So, I'll feel dumb if I'm not the Julie you meant, but, I'm still gonna say "Hi!" and wave like a maniac, anywayzzzzzzzzz!!!

You goof :p

I just meant that since WishRak has been around about 3 years, there are some people who are as passionate about doing whatever little thing they can to cheer someone up as artist is about image theft. Nobody want to harm anyone's livihood!

Love SU!? Join the Crew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #186  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

It is so sad that some people SELL stamped images. I am totally against that.
Truthfully I love Wish Rak and pIF. Sugar Nellie is just one of the companies I got turned onto through that raking of images. I have seen some other SCSers wishing for them and i got curious so I had to go to the website. That was how I fell inlove with them. I did wish for some images and now I own some of my own Sugar Nellie stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 02:49 AM   #187  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by steubnerView Post
Hey girlie! Wanna go to Tracy's with me? Word is she's sharing all her stuff!! :twisted:
I just saw this...I sure would!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #188  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Karen...

Thank you for expressing your company policy and opinion. Have a GREAT day!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:53 AM   #189  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

StampHunter68.....and for you too Julie.....

I personally didn't think this person was part of Wish-RAK, but Thank You for clarifying she was part of a yahoo group for others who may of assumed she was a member of Wish-RAK!!

Have a GREAT day!!

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #190  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

That really stinks, the web does change things. What did they do to stop the theft of music on the web? I am sure there are still individual operators, but didn't they shut down some major players? It might be more work than it's worth but aren't their IP addresses registered?
At this point, we have to rely on the honesty of the buyers, too...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #191  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am going to purchase some Sugar Nellies soon...they are just too cute...It makes me sick that someone is selling images...even if it is okay with some...it doesnt feel right to me.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM   #192  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbydivaView Post
I just saw this...I sure would!!!!
:cool:

I have purchased stamps from all the companies in this thread and I am thankful for everything they bring to the stamping industry.

I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way in this thread. I am a victim of terrible PMS. I really should stay away from chat forums during this time of the month!

It is very unfortunate that people sell stamped images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #193  
Gabfest Goddess

I know this is an older thread, but the information within it is valuable information.....just a friendly bump.

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 09:48 AM   #194  
Stampin' Fool

I'm late to this party and didn't read all 5 pages. I agree 100% with those who say it's not ethical to SELL stamped images. But I'm a little confused with about trading images, or giving away stamped images. What would be the difference between trading images, or just lending out your stamps or stamp sets? If the concern is lost sales to the company, does that mean that the company would not approve of me lending my stamps to friends?

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM   #195  
Stazon Splitcoast

Unfortunately there are all kinds of people...and many have no moral fiber...I love our member companies...and even some who are not..lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #196  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen TruemanView Post
I'm late to this party and didn't read all 5 pages. I agree 100% with those who say it's not ethical to SELL stamped images. But I'm a little confused with about trading images, or giving away stamped images. What would be the difference between trading images, or just lending out your stamps or stamp sets? If the concern is lost sales to the company, does that mean that the company would not approve of me lending my stamps to friends?
I truly don't believe that to be the case.

I don't believe any company objects to a friend lending their stamps to a friend or swapping/giving away hand-stamped images in limited quantities.

It used to be one thing when folks would would gather in person at stamping events, or submit image swap/trading ads in the classifieds of print publications; via those means, image swapping/trading was naturally limited--kind of a "pen pal" experience.

Image swapping, issues of copyright infringement, etc., are entirely different beasts, in this age of technology, with the internet, and so forth, UKWIM? The issue becomes problematic when the volume and frequency occurs at such a high rate/quantity that it does negatively affect a company's sales, which it can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2009, 12:28 PM   #197  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

I don't believe any company objects to a friend lending their stamps to a friend or swapping/giving away hand-stamped images in limited quantities.

It used to be one thing when folks would would gather in person at stamping events, or submit image swap/trading ads in the classifieds of print publications; via those means, image swapping/trading was naturally limited--kind of a "pen pal" experience.

Image swapping, issues of copyright infringement, etc., are entirely different beasts, in this age of technology, with the internet, and so forth, UKWIM? The issue becomes problematic when the volume and frequency occurs at such a high rate/quantity that it does negatively affect a company's sales, which it can.
Julie...

You *always* have such eloquent posts!! Thank You!!

However, I would like to add....when it comes to swapping stamped images....for me anyway.....it has *added* some company sales......:-D

My Photography Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 07:36 AM   #198  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Right on the money, Julie...

People may tell themselves it doesn't affect the companies negatively, but just because you tell yourself something doesn't make it true. ;)

I find it interesting that many people think it's ok because a set is "expensive." If the set wasn't expensive, would you still think it's ok? Or would you say it was wrong? Money should not determine morality, IMO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #199  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ya know I went back and read some of my posts.
Especially the one that I said I got turned onto Sugar Nellie through Wish Rak.
I have since grown my collection of Sugar Nellies ans I just LOVE them!!
I also found several other companies that are now must have stamps for me.
Whiff Of Joy, Stampavie, Serendipity to name just a few.
I love wish rak and I think the rules are are fair to companies also.
We get to sample the images and then several go buy those stamps for themselves. I am one of them. Yet we do not get an over abundance to where we do not need to buy the stamp so the company /artist will profit.

I am still and always will be 100% against selling images though. That is just horrible that people do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #200  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Like someone upthread said, maybe it's the volume that bothers me about swapping images....

look at the image swap threads here... there are literally HUNDREDS of images being swapped in those threads...

You wouldn't have the access to those within your IRL circle of friends. You'd swap back and forth between 2-3 people. Here, you have thousands of members to swap with.

If you and a few friends are pooling resources to make sure you all get the images within your group you want, that is one thing, but when you move it to such a large scale, it becomes a very different monster.

It goes from being someone borrowing a cup of sugar to having the entire sugar supply from Hawaii borrowed, KWIM?
That is what is exactly happening and it is effecting artists and the companies that employ them. A few images shared among friends at a get together is totally different from a public forum that serves thousands of people. What incentive do artists/companies have to introduce new images when they are going to be given away for free? To those who think this activity is OK, would you have the same opinion if you were the artist and saw your images being given away without any compensation?
Reply With Quote Likes