Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Left over stamped images and elements that are piling up

Does anyone else have piles and baggies of extra stamped elements, die cuts, and partial stamped backgrounds that are just piling up? I usually stamp at least one extra image each time I stamp, and often stamp multiples if I'm heat embossing or trying a new technique. My plan is to use them on future cards but then I end up tucking them away.

As I'm cleaning and reorganizing my room, I'm finding baggies, boxes, and drawers FULL of these...eek! I'm busy sorting them by color, and then organizing them into a large tub. I plan to keep that tub under my craft table so that I'll remember to rummage through it as I plan my cards.

Am I one the only one who keeps all this stuff? If you do as well, how do you make yourself use it? It's hard for me to start with something that was already stamped and colored, and to design a card around it. That's why I almost never use pre-made or printed embellishments...because I can never coordinate papers and colors. It's easiest for me to custom color the card bits after I start with a card base and patterned paper.

Any tips? My husband says I should just throw it all out of course..haha! Some images were so old that my tastes have changed completely (as in 15 years ago) so those were tossed. I still have enough to make cards for the next 2 years though.

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 6 users liked this post by kazeka:
Arlene_C (06-29-2023), Beverly 1939 (06-28-2023), gobarb26 (07-12-2023), MangieB (06-28-2023), NinaBeth (06-28-2023), Teachybaby (06-28-2023)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to add that I take many of those extras with me to the Senior Center, where I work with a card making group, but these are the odds and ends that really don't make a full card. We're talking random flowers, distressed tags, stamped border strips, metallic embossed fancy corners etc. The seniors wouldn't know what to do with these either!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 10:53 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

Ooh! I’ve been there I don’t make multiples anymore or even color too many extra images because of it. I seem to better when I start a card from scratch. However, there is a lady I watch on YouTube sometimes who keeps a couple of mugs (bowls?) on her desk. One has images to get used the other has sentiments and die cut words. Whenever she makes a card she goes through there and tries to find elements to use before making something else. It’s helped me to use some things and also feel better about tossing their items. Maybe try that for a while and see how it goes?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
gobarb26 (07-12-2023)
Old 06-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #4  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I save a little bit, but mostly just throw them out. I've learned that I so rarely use them it isn't worth keeping them.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by cnsteele:
Arlene_C (06-29-2023), fionna51 (06-29-2023), pepperann (07-19-2021)
Old 06-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m there with you. I find that when I’m chatting on the phone and at my craft table I like to play around with those pieces. Sometimes I find new ways to put them together and make some simple cards. Other times I find it’s just fun to put ridiculous pieces together. (I can spend a bit of time on the phone with some family and friends as I’m a long way from most of them. They know I’m playing!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes 1-3 extra die cuts are kept in their pocket with the die behind a cardstock separator. Strips of CS and patterned paper are kept for strip cards, not a lot. And I keep a fair number of backgrounds in a small bin to flip through for card fronts or die cuts.

But I don’t keep any extra stamped images other than if there’s no index sheet I might stamp one to put in the pocket. Since I don’t enjoy traditional coloring of images, plus images could end up in a variety of locations on a card front or on an already prepared background, there’d rarely be a use for extra ones.

Taking them to a senior center is lovely; I bet they’re popular and useful.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Teachybaby (06-28-2023)
Old 06-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I keep them in a plastic box, and I bring them with me when I go to my mom's to make cards with her. I bring some white and off-white cardstock for bases, and I get creative.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-04-2020, 04:51 PM   #8  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a drawer full at least! lol I have no advice.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by leibetty:
Arlene_C (06-29-2023), gobarb26 (07-01-2023), Renata Joyner (06-29-2023)
Old 06-04-2020, 05:39 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an entire Alex drawer full of just images and bits. I started when I was pregnant and couldn't stamp so friends would send me images to colour. (I was on bedrest.). My kids are now teenagers and I am still trying to use up some of the images... The scary part is I will use about 50 a year and I still have a drawer full. Some get used and then people will save pretty cards for me or wrapping and more goes in.
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (07-01-2023)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I find that these "leftovers" are great for embellishments on 3 x 3 cards or tags, as you only need one or two pieces to complete the project.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by chmyers:
gobarb26 (07-01-2023), mjordanept (06-28-2023)
Old 06-04-2020, 09:28 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Yes, many of the embellishments were originally made for tags, so they're pretty small. I think I should start with another tag and just start layering. Maybe it will turn into a card...but even if it's a tag in the end, that's better than a bunch of baggies, right?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CndnStamperView Post
I have an entire Alex drawer full of just images and bits. I started when I was pregnant and couldn't stamp so friends would send me images to colour. (I was on bedrest.). My kids are now teenagers and I am still trying to use up some of the images... The scary part is I will use about 50 a year and I still have a drawer full. Some get used and then people will save pretty cards for me or wrapping and more goes in.
The stamped images that people have sent to me are not a problem for me to use, because they're different from the stamps that I own. The problem is that I never think to use the pre-stamped ones that I made because I just stamp another image from the set I have. I don't even remember that I have an extra one, or two, or three extra images in my stash! I should probably go through and put those extra images with the actual stamp set so I use them. Duh...
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I keep them in a plastic box, and I bring them with me when I go to my mom's to make cards with her. I bring some white and off-white cardstock for bases, and I get creative.
Great idea! I should start doing that when I go to my daughter's house to help with the grandkids once the shut down is over. Hmmm, maybe throw in some embossed backgrounds too.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 09:34 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm glad to see that others have done the same thing, and have them piling up as well. I'm trying not to cut or stamp extras anymore, because it's better if I just stamp or die cut as needed for a particular project. It always seems easier to stamp or cut extras when everything is out...but then I don't end up using them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 10:54 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This is my prefer way to stamp and die cut. I make everything ahead of time and then dig through my baggies. If I have to set down with my dies and stamps to make a project I am just over it before I started.

I love my baggie pre-cut-stamp system so much that I have one day each month I set down and just cut and stamp. It's a good way to get rid of scraps.

Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (07-12-2023)
Old 06-05-2020, 08:31 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have/had the same problem. When I started organizing clear stamps in the plastic sleeves a la Jennifer McGuire, I started storing embellishments in the same way. If I make extra stamped images, I now adhere them to cardstock with repositionable adhesive and put them in plastic sleeves by subject, such as all hearts together, etc. Then I put the sleeve behind dividers by category. Now, when I am looking for an embellishment that I might be able to use without making a new one, I can simply flip through the sleeves and see what I have very easily. BUT.... I don't save all of them anymore, otherwise it would be hard to keep up with this system lol. I store stickers this way too.
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (07-12-2023)
Old 06-05-2020, 08:36 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I often take my extra images to the nursing homes I work at, but I also take them to the local elementary school. They have a maker's space in the library and even tiny images are a hit as they use them to make bookmarks.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I have put a lot of my extra images (ready to use) in the box of supplies I have for my grandkids' artwork. They like to make cards and oftentimes they grab those images to make cards for their friends.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 483 Likes on 303 Posts

I keep all my extras(images-both colored and uncolored,) , dies, sentiments, and purchased embellishments I am so over using in clamshells labeled with season/occasion. These my grandsons use generously when they want to make their mom or dad a card and I let them with no restrictions. They are ages 7, 6 and 4 and 4(twins)....I keep glue sticks and kid safe scissors in a clamshell as well. When they want to make "cards" I score and fold white bases and then clear out of their way...I also have a grab and use box of DSP they are allowed to use. It helps keep the leftovers from overwhelming me with guilt for not using.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by c-mouse:
Dockside (07-20-2021), jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Maybe an idea would be to do a focused use of them? Dont wait...just start making some general kind of cards you can pop a sentiment onto later? Better some blank cards than endless bits around?

I once had hundreds of pre cuts frames that I never got around to using (before I had dies a friend loaned me hers and I spent two weekends just cranking) so I donated those to a charity here.

The only pre-cuts now I have around are sentiments. I will cut extra of those and share some with friends and have a few around.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
gobarb26 (07-12-2023), jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-05-2020, 10:26 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Maybe an idea would be to do a focused use of them? Dont wait...just start making some general kind of cards you can pop a sentiment onto later? Better some blank cards than endless bits around?

I once had hundreds of pre cuts frames that I never got around to using (before I had dies a friend loaned me hers and I spent two weekends just cranking) so I donated those to a charity here.

The only pre-cuts now I have around are sentiments. I will cut extra of those and share some with friends and have a few around.
Good idea. I think I'll start with plain card bases with solid cardstock, so I'm not distracted with trying to match patterned papers and colors. You're right that basic cards are better than a bunch of random bits and pieces! Who knows...I may even have fun!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by c-mouseView Post
I keep all my extras(images-both colored and uncolored,) , dies, sentiments, and purchased embellishments I am so over using in clamshells labeled with season/occasion. These my grandsons use generously when they want to make their mom or dad a card and I let them with no restrictions. They are ages 7, 6 and 4 and 4(twins)....I keep glue sticks and kid safe scissors in a clamshell as well. When they want to make "cards" I score and fold white bases and then clear out of their way...I also have a grab and use box of DSP they are allowed to use. It helps keep the leftovers from overwhelming me with guilt for not using.
Isn't it fun when kids get creative?!! I have a whole case that I take to my grandkid's house when I spend the night, and also added glue sticks, scissors, washi tape etc. I fill it with card blanks, solid and patterned papers cut to size, and extra stickers and images to color. The items that I have piling up are usually intricate dies or small images that are too difficult for them to glue, or color. The larger stamped images are good for them, but the 6 year old prefers to draw her own, haha!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problem so a couple of years ago I separated it all (stamped, cut, stickers, etc) into zip bags by category. Those bags are now in a large basket by my desk and I have made it a habit to look there when creating. Organization and developing the habit were key to reducing the "pile".

The other thing that helped me use my bits is journaling. Whatever kind you do, these bits are useful treasures. Be it a planner, art journaling, junk journals...like I said anything can be used in some way or another.
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (07-12-2023)
Old 06-06-2020, 06:31 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I belong to a stamp group so every once in a while I bag up my extras and give one to each of the ladies. Great way to keep my stash down and new fun for my friends (actually it is a good way to get rid of my problem and let them deal with it! LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Mrs Noofy:
Dockside (07-20-2021), gobarb26 (07-01-2023)
Old 06-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I think you will have fun!

Thinking of you/Miss you is very good for right now.

We all keep talking about never having enough sympathy cards and maybe not feeling like making one at the time if we know the person and are sad ourselves...

Go for it! No pressure....just spread 'em out on the dining table and see if they "talk to you"--and want to get paired up with another one, or a design idea, or a sentiment idea, or a color theme...if you have backgrounds hanging out too, they may match up

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
gobarb26 (07-01-2023), jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Reading everyone's ideas got me to thinking. And cleaning. I have a large gallon sized ziplock (okay, maybe 3), full of elements and leftovers from various projects, paper pumpkin kits, Hero Arts kits...you name it. I contacted a co-worker who has young children (aged 5 and 8  ) to see if he'd be interested. He was really happy to take them off my hands. Since the shelter in place with the kids home, he had run out of things for them to do. They're going to make cards for some of the elderly folks in his church who don't have anyone and I thought that was nice. Plus, now I have more space! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 08:13 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

Default Left over stamped images and elements

When I need to make a card I sometimes go through them to spark my creativity. Much quicker for me to work with them and design a card around them than to think about a new design with all the stamps and dies I own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

I send my extra stamped images in happy mail to a group I am in. They always are appreciated and not many of the members have the same stamp, so it works out beautifully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #29  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought one of the Iris Photo boxes, with 16 small photo cases in it. I have labelled the small cases and sort my "extras" into those - eg Christmas, Hallowe'en, Children, Misc Shapes etc. I find I do go to those to check what I have before I start re-inventing the wheel. Every so often I go through them and discard those that I haven't used and have been there for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (07-12-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do the same! Recently our 9 year old granddaughter has started making birthday cards for her friends and thank you notes for us. I picked out some things that I think she would use, and sent them on to her, along with some blank cards, some die-cut sentiments, etc. She was thrilled!
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 08:50 AM   #31  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Just to be contrarian for a moment, it can be a gift to yourself to actually let all of the scraps go. If having them around takes up space you need for other things, makes you feel like you should spend time organizing them rather than making something else, and if you have learned that you easily forget about them, do yourself a favor and give them away or recycle them. It might feel wasteful and terrible, I get that, but it might also be the right choice.

I've discovered scraps that are easily 15-20 years old that I was sure I'd use until I tucked them away, forgot about them, and went on to the next thing. Recently, I've started going through the scraps and turning whatever I can into elements for pocket letters. The rest are going. It's actually a relief for me to not have them and no longer feel obligated to use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by jrwilkinson:
fionna51 (06-29-2023), gobarb26 (07-01-2023), hultenlk (07-18-2021), jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scraps usage or not....

I have a tall plastic set of storage drawers that are 11x14 ish. I keep like colors in each drawer; yellows/oranges together, pinks/reds together, blues/purples together, browns/blacks together, greens, beige/sand/whites together.

When I stamp, I go to my scrap bin first and then to my full pages. The bins are clear so the colors are easy to find.

I find that my paper gets used and my paper orders are less and less.

I cherish my scraps. I will say that I rarely make an extra to store but will keep any leftovers or second thoughts.

This has worked for me for the last 15 years and yes some have faded but still usable with just a nip and a tuck here and there (like me).
Reply With Quote Likes
gobarb26 (07-01-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:30 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrwilkinsonView Post
Just to be contrarian for a moment, it can be a gift to yourself to actually let all of the scraps go. If having them around takes up space you need for other things, makes you feel like you should spend time organizing them rather than making something else, and if you have learned that you easily forget about them, do yourself a favor and give them away or recycle them. It might feel wasteful and terrible, I get that, but it might also be the right choice.

I've discovered scraps that are easily 15-20 years old that I was sure I'd use until I tucked them away, forgot about them, and went on to the next thing. Recently, I've started going through the scraps and turning whatever I can into elements for pocket letters. The rest are going. It's actually a relief for me to not have them and no longer feel obligated to use them!
You have all spoken my language but I have found that Joanna has really spoken to me. I have so many different butterflies, heart, stars, squares, rectangles...you get the picture! However, I'm a SU demo and blog every day so I really should be using current colors, etc. I'm cleaning drawers, bins and boxes this week. I hope I don't weaken. I need to carry through with this plan...lol. I have no problem with my scraps as I have them in with full sheets of cardstock by color. Wish me luck! Karen, let us know what you end up doing in your predicament!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I don't make duplicates of elements unless I'm making multiple versions of the card. However, I often use scraps of the DSP or watercolour background inside the card. Still end up with baggies of bits and pieces that I can't seem to toss!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 09:43 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I usually keep mine with the stamp set, some I have in reused packaging in a hanging file folder.
Reply With Quote Likes
gaylestamps (06-29-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

I do save them up for awhile and then at some point I decide to sit down and use as many as I can for donation cards. Before I found SCS, I would donate to our local cancer center, nursing homes and some sites I found on-line. Depending on the item (background, flower, etc.), I might continue to save it, but sometimes I would just let it go into the trash. So, I guess I do both. Someone above mentioned using your elements for tags. Another idea, Jennifer McGuire just did a post on adding removable bookmarks on a card. I am sure there are groups who would love to get cards with a "gift" on the front. Here's the link to her blog post:

Bookmark Card Ideas + FREE Gift + Blog Hop - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Keeping them or throwing -- either way can be cathartic. Maybe just do a bit of both. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Default Leftovers and scraps

I recently had to downsize when I moved to a smaller place, so all this had to go. I donated them plus leftover Class kits I made for classes to a local nursing home
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 178 Likes on 148 Posts

I have this basket on my desk so when I need an image or sentiment, I check what I have stored before making something new.
My Blog- Trusting in the Lord for Everything Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight. My Stampin' Up Website My Gallery, BRAK New Member Mentor. New Grandmother to Mia Lou. 1st Grandchild.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by bensarmom:
gobarb26 (07-12-2023), jeanne3579 (06-28-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked out your Pinterest postings. Your cards are SOOOO cute!
I want to make a ALLLLLL of them. Thanks you, thanks you for posting them!!!
Richell
Reply With Quote Likes
GramT (06-29-2023)
Old 06-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs NoofyView Post
I belong to a stamp group so every once in a while I bag up my extras and give one to each of the ladies. Great way to keep my stash down and new fun for my friends (actually it is a good way to get rid of my problem and let them deal with it! LOL)
Haha, too funny! None of my local friends stamp or make cards at all. They only scrapbook, and don't use any handmade embellishments. I'm pretty sure that people would run in the other direction if I tried to give away my left overs, because they don't even coordinate. The stamped images aren't the problem as much as the small stamped extras like one random stamped image from a set. Sane people would just toss those little doo dads, but many of those left overs are heat-embossed and inked, and really pretty. It makes me want to use them instead of toss.

That being said, I did manage to throw away a handful of those useless bits the other day. Small steps.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes