Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default JoAnn's ... is it just my area?

Is anyone else seeing some really bad changes at JoAnn's or is it just me?

The last time I was in my local JoAnn's was a busy Saturday afternoon I could find nobody to help me. When I asked the woman at the cutting if there was someone in the store who could help, she curtly replied, "Probably not." Went to the customer service area, where the only cashier was busy with a line of people. I asked her to call a manager. She did, but the manager was too busy to come to me so I had to go to her. I go back to the fabric department where the manager was now helping the cutting area gal. I showed her my phone, open to the item listed on the JoAnn.com website and asked if there was anyone who could help me find it. She told me it was in the children's art section and gave me a 5-digit peg number so that I could look again for myself because she was too busy. "It seems that JoAnn's doesn't want my business," I said. Her reply, "We do, but they don't." (I'm assuming "they" means corporate.) I did try, once again, to find the item but none of the numbers on the pegs were 5-digit, so I left empty handed and fuming.

A few days ago, I was in a neighboring city and decided to stop at that JoAnn's store. Same staffing problem. But this time, there was a sign on the door that said people needed to leave a 25-cent deposit to get a token to use a cart. This means people have to stand in line to pay for a token and again to get their refund. Or they could put a quarter into the cart to unlock the chain that tied it to the next cart and forfeit the 25 cents.

Is the same thing happening in your area? Or is it just my region?
I plan not to shop in a JoAnn's brick & mortar store again unless I'm completely and hopelessly desperate--and I hope to never get to that point. I'd write a letter to complain, but the problems seem to be coming from on high, which means they wouldn't care what I have to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

I stopped shopping at JoAnn's years ago (bad customer service, too many games with sales and coupons, no product I really liked) so I can't say what my local ones are like currently. But, they were bad enough years ago to make me never set foot in one or spend another dollar there again!

It is always sad when corporate makes decisions that they never see the real impact of. Good corporate management would visit stores to see the reality. On the other hand, if cutomers want low prices, financial cuts have to be made somewhere to accomodate that and labor is almost always the largest expense. Hence, fewer staff.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It must be a regional thing. There is a fairly new Joann's Superstore close to me, and I shop there often for supplies for cards, and also yarn as I crochet quite a bit.

They seem to be well staffed, and I've gotten to know the people. They are always very friendly and willing to help. Several times the gal at check out has scanned a coupon she had when I didn't have mine with me.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the craft stores are crazy busy on the weekends. I work full time and Amazon has changed my life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 10:09 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
All of the craft stores are crazy busy on the weekends. I work full time and Amazon has changed my life.
I'm retired and have plenty of time to shop, but I also love Amazon! The Prime feature with free 2 day shipping is so great!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 10:16 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Minimum wage in California went up to $10 an hour on January 1 and I have noticed since then a lot of businesses are under staffing. My local JoAnn (Chico, CA) is the same way. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The two JoAnn stores I've been to in my area are large, nicely organized, and well staffed. My local store is often busy but the staff is helpful and the registers are handled well. I'm happy to have it nearby. (Suburbs near Sacramento, CA) Yours sounds dreadfu though! Wonder why there's such a big difference?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All of the big box craft stores in my area are the same or worse. So when they complain that the hyper-customer-service-excellence of Amazon is stealing their business, I have no sympathy! I think it was a little better 10 years ago when scrapbooking was still super hot, but now I just go for entertainment if I'm in the area. Hobby Lobby has an item I need and I was thinking of trying to darken their doors this Saturday but it's always such a pain...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 04:55 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

The one I went to last Saturday, that has the new coin/token operated shopping carts, is in Hemet, just north of Temecula. I have to admit that I was shocked to see the 25-cent deposit. It seems so strange. I hope grocery stores don't catch onto this idea. I don't know if the store in my city is doing the same or not. I have not felt like going back since that time when everyone was snippy and unhelpful. In their defense, I might have felt the same way if I was as overworked as those ladies were!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
Minimum wage in California went up to $10 an hour on January 1 and I have noticed since then a lot of businesses are under staffing. My local JoAnn (Chico, CA) is the same way. :(
With minimum wage going up, we'll probably see a bunch of price increases in addition to short staffing. It always seems like a no-win game for everyone involved.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Yeah, I'm still shocked. Had to post a pic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 06:17 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
The one I went to last Saturday, that has the new coin/token operated shopping carts, is in Hemet, just north of Temecula. I have to admit that I was shocked to see the 25-cent deposit. It seems so strange. I hope grocery stores don't catch onto this idea. I don't know if the store in my city is doing the same or not. I have not felt like going back since that time when everyone was snippy and unhelpful. In their defense, I might have felt the same way if I was as overworked as those ladies were!
Some grocery stores have been doing the $ .25 thing for years in our area. When Hannaford's opened in New Hartford, NY they were the first locally and I was in shock. They no longer do this thankfully but all the new Aldi's do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I pay .25 for a cart at Aldi's all the time. You get the quarter back when you return the cart to the chain line. So the cart is still "free". No big deal, and it helps keep Aldi's prices low. Really low. I just got in the habit of always keeping a quarter in my dash / cup holder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 06:26 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I rarely see floor help at either of the JoAnn's by me. One is a small store, one a superstore. You always have to go to the fabric counter to ask about anything. Their nitpicky conditions / exclusions on their ads / sales really irriritate me because they are often misleading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I have seen the 25 cent cart charge before. I don't mind as long as I know ahead of time so I can bring a quarter. I saw it at a grocery store. The best part of it was that people have to return the cart to get their quarter back so no carts are left in the middle of the parking lot there! I haven't shopped at Joanns in a long time mainly because they don't carry much tat I need or want. Oh,and the cart charge at the grocery store takes quarters not tokens and gives you one back when you push the cart into the cart return.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

So many carts get stolen here in Vegas by people using it to take their things home and the homeless people thatca few months ago when I went to office depot they didnt have any carts. I need it to shop but also to lean on while I walk thru the store. Maybe this would ensure there are carts....but most likely not if someone just wants to steal a cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 09:46 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I can't contribute to the discussion on JoAnn's, but am amazed that your cart deposit is so low!!! Most of ours are €1, and some are even €2. Current exchange rates aren't far off parity but even when ours were better, you'd still have been talking about 75-80 cents minimum. And at that, not everybody returns them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, I'm also based in Europe, and the cart charge thing is pretty standard here. That's why Aldi's has it, I'm sure - it's a European store. But if you think about it, unlike supermarkets that need a large staff, and they can afford to pay someone to go out to the parking lot and gather the carts that people have left scattered, a craft store like JoAnn's would rarely have that kind of staff available, even if they had enough on duty to take care of everyone's needs inside the store. They just don't have the traffic flow to justify that kind of staffing expense. I can especially understand how the recent minimum wage hike in Cali would have this effect. With that, they really wouldn't be able to pay a parking lot/cart attendant, and it would make sense to have a more "automated" system. And I guess a sad side effect would be, if stores have to lay some people off to continue to meet budget, then those remaining have lost interaction with friends and co-workers and have to make up their work load - all of which could lead to bad attitudes and comments like, "No - there probably ISN'T someone available to help." Maybe a novel approach would be to take in an encouragement card and crafty bag of cookies or candies to the staff, acknowledging how difficult the changes are. It would be the first steps toward personal relationship with the staff, and that, in turn, could lead to more personalized service.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/spedabstbit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

The one I went to last Saturday, that has the new coin/token operated shopping carts, is in Hemet, just north of Temecula. I have to admit that I was shocked to see the 25-cent deposit. It seems so strange. I hope grocery stores don't catch onto this idea.
Aldi's grocery moved into our city and has implemented the .25 thing for carts. I don't get it. Nor do I shop at Aldi's....I don't need that little irritation on top of the other self-help, do-it-yourself measures they have in place.

I tell my husband, we eat out on days I do grocery shopping....I hunt it down (cause they love to rearrange their stores) throw it in the cart, dodge the other customers on their cell phones, then get to the check out where I drag it out of the cart, watch the scanner, put the bags in my cart, then into my car, then carry my cart back to the designated area (because that helps keep my prices so low, uh huh, right, then I hop in my car and wonder why it works like that.

Our JoAnn's is pretty good and usually well staffed....I don't shop weekends since I am free during the week and play on weekends.

Reading this, I see how spoiled I really am. I am so very blessed not to have to climb on top of my house to cook dinner, draw my water or carry it, and hope a wild animal doesn't get my kids.

But I dang sure do NOT want to pay .25 to rent a cart to put my stuff in!:rolleyes: I am old enough to remember when they took it to your car and loaded it for you and didn't expect a tip...it's just what they did.

Now, I am asked if I want help...occasionally but I feel like I need to tip, which is fine but I don't carry cash. Guess I should have told the little machine I want cash back and ask the cashier for dollars bills. I may start doing that once the temp gets over 90* Yep, I am real spoiled!

Last edited by CottageBliss; 02-17-2016 at 11:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 03:32 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in the UK a �1 charge to use trolleys is commonplace, and has been for many years- so common now no-one sees anything odd in it. You can also purchase, often a charity one, a pound shaped/sized token you can clip on your keyring, then use that for your trolley. Having worked in a supermarket on a housing estate years ago, I can tell of the frequency we lost trolleys. People would use them to push their shopping home, then they'd just dump them, rather than bring them back next time. Or keep them in their garden as a wheelbarrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 03:58 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I know around here we have a lot of people who take the carts. I find them dumped in irrigation ditches, along the side of the road, loaded with trash and abandoned. The other day I collected one that was tipped over in the driving lane of the parking lot to take back into the store.

It doesn't surprise me that stores want a deposit to use the cart. Inconvenient, yes. But it's a financial decision for them. One cart costs around $750. Imagine their cost if one cart was stolen a day.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The cart thing doesn't faze me in the least - whatever... The lack of help is only one of the myriad problems in our local Joann's store. I watched and waited for MONTHS AND MONTHS for them to replenish the already-meager Spectrum Noir marker selection, and it never happened. I finally bought them directly from Crafter's Companion during their recent sale. Because of my extensive sewing background, several people suggested that I apply to work there, but if I feel all twitchy and icky shopping there, what would it be like to work there all day? No thank you, please...

I have to say, though, that the girls who work at the cutting counter (there are usually two) are pretty fun and very helpful. When they are calling the numbers for the next customer they make it sound like "The Price is Right" or something ("...come on down..") They should let them help in other areas, maybe...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Agreed, if you can't shop at JoAnn's it would be awful to work there!!

My reference to the carts at the grocery stores is many times the customers does all the work with the exception of scanning the products. Like at Aldi's or Sam's Club. And on top of that having to rent the cart? There should be a better way. Heck, we creative types can make our own! I'm thinking a folding cart with wheels but taller and you put your '31' bags or those fold up/pop up bags on it and your golden. Then again, might just pay the fee...lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 08:18 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Poor service is becoming universal. Those of us old enough to remember days of good service are the most frustrated. I'm sure I would also be frustrated if I worked in retail but wasn't able to give good service due to understaffing. I'm a big Aldi fan. I actually like bagging my own groceries since the teen baggers at the other stores are so haphazard and use gobs of bags. The carts also stay remarkably clean and work well since they don't stay out in the elements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 08:25 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I can't contribute to the discussion on JoAnn's, but am amazed that your cart deposit is so low!!! Most of ours are €1, and some are even €2. Current exchange rates aren't far off parity but even when ours were better, you'd still have been talking about 75-80 cents minimum. And at that, not everybody returns them.
Yeah, but that's because you have €1-2 coins instead of notes. Technically, we have $1 coins, but they aren't really in wide circulation, definitely not wide enough to make them the coin of choice for deposits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 09:06 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Deposit for a cart is standard here in Ontario Canada, as it is in the UK and Ireland. Some places it is $0.25 some places it is $1.00, doesn't bother me, I have a little stash in my console in the truck with spare coins which I grab as I am getting out of the truck. It reduces the chances of people abandoning their carts/trollies in the car park, and letting them roll into my truck...........grrr!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in a small town and my local JoAnns is the pits.....it's small and disorganized and they never have any new stock. But since they are the only game in town (all of the other craft, stamp and scrapbook stores are 75 miles away) we locals have no choice. I usually only purchase their 12 x 12 solid colored cardstock when they have it on sale at 6/1.00, but it requires nerves of steel since they don't have a quantity key on the cash register and they have to hand scan every sheet of paper. Last time I bought 250 sheets of paper and the people in the long line behind me were getting upset.
An Aldi's just opened here about 4 months ago and I love it. My mother moved to the United States 50 years ago from Germany and has never been able to go back. So at Christmas I was able to treat her to a little taste of home by buying some Stollen pastry, Pfeffernusse cookies, and German chocolate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaxsixView Post
Poor service is becoming universal. Those of us old enough to remember days of good service are the most frustrated.
Yes, I think this is a big part of my frustration. Also, in my youth (teens & early 20s) I worked at a retail outlet where customer service was strongly emphasized from the top on down.

The way retailers do business is a lot different now. It has nothing to do with personal service. It's all about huge stores and keeping the shelves stocked so that there is a continuous flow of merchandise flowing out. Often times, the big box stores are the only choice for customers, so there is no corporate concern about customers taking their business elsewhere--except maybe to the Internet--and many of these big stores have cornered the market on that end as well.

Someone mentioned that customers do everything for themselves except scan the items. Well, at my local Home Depot and Walmart, there are self-scanners. There is one employee to watch over a group of four scanning machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by August29View Post
I usually only purchase their 12 x 12 solid colored cardstock when they have it on sale at 6/1.00, but it requires nerves of steel since they don't have a quantity key on the cash register and they have to hand scan every sheet of paper. Last time I bought 250 sheets of paper and the people in the long line behind me were getting upset.
Quote:

Originally Posted by August29View Post
An Aldi's just opened here about 4 months ago and I love it.
I don't know anything about Aldi's but I do hope to learn to love it. Aldi's recently built a warehouse in my area so I would think the store will be coming soon.

BTW, to give you an idea of the employment crisis that still affects my community, the local paper says the Aldi warehouse received more than 27,000 applications to fill 100 positions during a two-day hiring event. That was in November. With the minimum wage increase, there will likely be even more people looking for low-paying jobs in the coming months as big businesses cut back on personnel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 11:40 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
Agreed, if you can't shop at JoAnn's it would be awful to work there!!

My reference to the carts at the grocery stores is many times the customers does all the work with the exception of scanning the products. Like at Aldi's or Sam's Club. And on top of that having to rent the cart?
I started shopping at Aldi's a few years ago, when I retired. At first, mostly just staples like sugar, flour, milk, eggs... Now I buy at least 80% of my groceries there. They have wonderful cheeses and specialty items from Europe too. I save a lot of money, my weekly bill is at least 30% lower than the full service grocery store. That's significant, week in and week out. For that I'll gladly put a .25 on a cart and gladly bag my own. Anyway if I bag my own, I know the bread and eggs won't get squished by the canned goods. It's a trade-off, convenience vs. cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

There are two JoAnns I can visit in my area. One is larger and has always been good. The other is smaller and the staff is not helpful. Sadly, this store has been unfriendly for years, and I don't shop there because I feel like I'm "bothering" them.

I haven't seen the cart deposit thing at either JoAnns, but it's long been at Aldis. I don't mind, and in fact it's nice to not have carts loose in the parking lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #32  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

The staff at my Joann's is usually very pleasant and helpful. My big complaint with Joann's is that they send you flyers with lots of coupons; but, then when you go to the actual store expecting to be able to use them, things are on sale (for less off than the coupon would have given you), and you can't use the coupons. They also don't let you use coupons for some specific items -- dies and any paper cutting machines (including a Xyron, which does NOT cut anything). But I still go back! No charge for carts yet.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Someone mentioned that customers do everything for themselves except scan the items. Well, at my local Home Depot and Walmart, there are self-scanners. There is one employee to watch over a group of four scanning machines.
I prefer self scanning. I'm faster at it than the store cashiers. And I don't have to talk to anyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 05:19 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Self-scanners....grrrr. I could get on my soapbox about self-scanners. The ones at Walmart are so slow it takes less time to stand in line at the cashier. And I always have trouble with the machines not recognizing an item. Not to mention, you should get a discount if you have to their jobs! And Lowe's! What are they thinking? You're supposed to self-scan lumber and sheetrock? Really!

As long as I'm on a rant, let me mention Hobby Lobby. No matter what day, no matter what time, I have to stand in line. And they are slower than Christmas! I only go if I need something THAT DAY that I know they carry. BTW, their 40% off prices are usually the same as regular price at Amazon. Grrr. Grrrr. (Excuse my bad mood, please)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
As long as I'm on a rant, let me mention Hobby Lobby. No matter what day, no matter what time, I have to stand in line. And they are slower than Christmas! I only go if I need something THAT DAY that I know they carry. BTW, their 40% off prices are usually the same as regular price at Amazon. Grrr. Grrrr. (Excuse my bad mood, please)
I don't have a local Hobby Lobby but I occasionally visit one in another city when I'm there. I like that they carry different things that Michael's and JoAnn's. I HATE that their registers don't recognize sale items--and neither do their cashiers.

The last time I didn't get the sale price the cashier told me my items were not on sale. I politely disagreed. She not politely argued. Then I told her that if they were not on sale then they should take down their signs and update their website. Then she looked at a paper on a nearby clipboard and said, "They're not on sale but I'll give them to you for the sale price." (If they were not on sale, how did she know to give me 50% off? I'm pretty sure she saw them listed on her clipboard but refused to acknowledge that she made a mistake.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Up here in AB, Canada most grocery stores have a token/deposit system on their carts.
And many of them are for a $1.00 coin, not 25 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

My Joann's is ok - not great, but OK. No deposit yet for carts, but when I see them scattered all over the parking lot, I can understand why they might start. As for customer service... this conversation is exactly why I shop at locally owned stores whenever I can. I am always sad to see them close due to the competition of the bigger guys. I almost always get better customer service at the local shops, and I don't mind paying a little more to support them.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 01:11 PM   #38  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I second everything Joan says above. ... When I do go to Joann's or any other store and the receipt has a survey, I definitely take advantage of the opportunity to tell them the good and bad about my experience. And if I have something to say and the receipt doesn't have a survey on it, I call their customer service number and/or send an email through their website. If we don't tell them, they'll never know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Deposits for carts is nothing new here in NYC. Blame the people that steal them and trash them and leave them in the middle of the road.

We don't have Joanns here anymore, they closed last year, but I do my best to avoid ordering from their website because I cannot stand the scam they run with their coupons. That 40% off all regular price merchandise sounds great until you realize they put nearly everything in the store on sale so it's useless. Make me so mad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2016, 02:32 PM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Aldi is a big employer in my area, as their headquarters in the US is just down the road. I can tell you a few things about them:

*They've always done the quarter cart corral. They do not have to pay for baggers this way, as shoppers return carts themselves.

*They are a good employer and offer pretty high starting wages. They also offer great insurance benefits and 401ks.

*They choose not to hire too many workers at each store so that the individual employees get more hours.

*They are a German company. One brother owns Aldi, the other owns Trader Joes.

*They are selling more and more organics, gluten-free, health related foods.

*As a long time shopper, I'm used to the carts and bagging my own groceries. It is totally worth it for the savings. It is now the primary source of weekly grocery shopping for my family.

I can't speak for Joann's, but I can speak as someone who has worked in retail (and for pretty stinky wages to boot). There's no excuse for bad customer service. None. The shopper writes your paycheck, and if the brick and mortar stores close, they can point all the fingers they want. They just need to look in the mirror for the real reason.
Reply With Quote Likes