Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #241  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee Yapha, I never even thought to check with the teachers. Duh! omg.gif I'll check with the education director tomorrow morning.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #242  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hope this site might help. http://www.geocities.com/jsr22000/index.html
All kinds of stuff and a shopping link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #243  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm sure that if you have a cricut and surecutsalot that you could cut some hebrew letters out - I havn't tried yet.. might be a project
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #244  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't have a cricut. I have a cuttlebug and my big shot comes in a week or so. I'd love to find the dies though! I saw the Ellison dies online - $795!!! :shock: I certainly hope that includes the machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #245  
dal
Kookie Creator

Most Hebrew/Sunday schools have the big industrial die cut machines (our does), but all of the Hebrew letters come out almost a full 8.5"x11"! Once upon a time there was a very small brass Hebrew stencil (got it from Addicted to Rubber Stamps), but it does not seem to exist anymore! The only other stencils I have seen are made out of plastic. Shalom Scrapper sells a sheet of 1"-1.5" die cuts (three of each letter) for $6.95 - I think it is white cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #246  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah.. I would love to find out if there are any awesome resources over in Isreal that has this kind of stuff. But I think anyone there is hogging it all to themselves

If your overseas and can share in some secrets - please do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 07:02 AM   #247  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default HAVE YOU SEEN THIS??!!

OMGoodnes, I'm so excited. Did you see this on Nichole Heady's blog?

Today's little peek is from another set that I designed. It is a set that involved hours of research and help from friends who are knowledgeable about the subject matter I chose to work with. I am really proud of what transpired and I know that this set will help to fill a void in our industry. What could the theme be?

The sneak peak pic is the right hand side of a menorah. I'm so hoping that "hours of research" means that the set will really be what we're looking for. I've never been excited for a PTI release party before. Now I can't wait until next Monday!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #248  
Die Cut Diva

Very interesting! When are they doing the reveal?

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #249  
Stazon Splitcoast

PTI always releases on the 15th, so Monday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #250  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nichole Heady has just issued a few sneak peaks on her blog of her new set called Mazel Tov! There are 3 posts, so make sure you see them all. I'll keep checking her blog this weekend. I hope she'll post more sneak peaks.

From what I've seen so far, it's the best Judaica set out there right now. I did notice a couple of things that I think she missed the boat on (my personal opinion only)-

She made a card that said Happy Bar Mitzvah - blech. I'm hoping that the Happy is a separate piece from the Bar Mitzvah/Bat Mitzvah stamps. The torah stamp is gorgeous!! It's funny because in her first sneak peak I commented that I was glad to see she had researched and would know better than to say Happy Bar Mitzvah. Ummm, guess not.

On her Chanukah project (which she has spelled both ways in the set - yay!), she put 2 star brads on either side of the dreidel (which is very nice). They are 5 pointed though. Not to my personal taste, but the project itself was very very cute.

She has, what she called a "chai" stamp. Except it's missing the yud, so it's just a hay. Guess I'll have to draw it in.

Overall though, from what I've seen, it's a fabulous set and she should be commended on taking the initiative to create it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #251  
Pearl-ExPert

wow! They really listened didn't they!! I think this will be great! Here is another link to Nicholes' site the one above didn't work for me. http://nicholeheady.typepad.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #252  
Insane Embellisher

Papertrey Ink is releasing a Jewish stamp set Sept 15. Check out Nichole's blog.

kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #253  
Insane Embellisher

woops! double posted! sorry@!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 AM   #254  
Kookie Creator

I agree with "Stamping CPA". Hopefully she will correct the Chai but I can't wait to purchase these sets and paper even though I'm at least a couple months from being able to begin to unpack my stampin and scrappin supplies in my new house. Am ever so glad I took a few minutes to check SCS today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 08:50 AM   #255  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinCPAView Post
Nichole Heady has just issued a few sneak peaks on her blog of her new set called Mazel Tov! There are 3 posts, so make sure you see them all. I'll keep checking her blog this weekend. I hope she'll post more sneak peaks.

From what I've seen so far, it's the best Judaica set out there right now. I did notice a couple of things that I think she missed the boat on (my personal opinion only)-

She made a card that said Happy Bar Mitzvah - blech. I'm hoping that the Happy is a separate piece from the Bar Mitzvah/Bat Mitzvah stamps. The torah stamp is gorgeous!! It's funny because in her first sneak peak I commented that I was glad to see she had researched and would know better than to say Happy Bar Mitzvah. Ummm, guess not.

On her Chanukah project (which she has spelled both ways in the set - yay!), she put 2 star brads on either side of the dreidel (which is very nice). They are 5 pointed though. Not to my personal taste, but the project itself was very very cute.

She has, what she called a "chai" stamp. Except it's missing the yud, so it's just a hay. Guess I'll have to draw it in.

Overall though, from what I've seen, it's a fabulous set and she should be commended on taking the initiative to create it.
I am so glad to hear your excitement about our latest stamp venture! I thought I would pop on here and and address a few of your concerns, as to make sure that you nor anyone else is mislead.

Happy & Bat/Bar Mitzvah are separate stamps. With over 28 sentiment & word stamps in the main set and 7 in the add-on set, I am sure you will be able to find something else that meets your needs or tastes.

The hay image you are referring to is a permanent part of the dreidel, following the customary use of that sign in that application. There is a separate decorative & complete chai in the set that I think will be very much to your liking.

I am anxious to hear your opinions once the full set is unveiled and to see what all of you do with the many different elements of this set.

~Nichole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 09:12 AM   #256  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papertrey InkView Post
I am so glad to hear your excitement about our latest stamp venture! I thought I would pop on here and and address a few of your concerns, as to make sure that you nor anyone else is mislead.

Happy & Bat/Bar Mitzvah are separate stamps. With over 28 sentiment & word stamps in the main set and 7 in the add-on set, I am sure you will be able to find something else that meets your needs or tastes.

The hay image you are referring to is a permanent part of the dreidel, following the customary use of that sign in that application. There is a separate decorative & complete chai in the set that I think will be very much to your liking.

I am anxious to hear your opinions once the full set is unveiled and to see what all of you do with the many different elements of this set.

~Nichole
Wow, Nichole, thanks so much for popping in here to answer my concerns! I think I got confused by reading the text when you were explaining about Chai, thinking that's what you were using on the dreidel. The hay on the dreidel absolutely perfect for a dreidel.

I can't wait to see the rest of the set and it's killing me to have to wait until Monday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #257  
Kookie Creator

I just wanted to pop in and voice my excitement for the new PTI set! It's so rare to find Jewish themed stamps and the few that are out there seem to mostly be rather sombre or formal/elegant. PTI's stamps, while elegant in their simplicity, never feel too formal- they have a very fun air about them so this is very exciting to me. Myself and my other Jewish stamping friend are both very excited to purchase this set!

As I said to my friend: the Jews are in the house!
:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #258  
dal
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I so agree with everything you said! Missed the boat in a few cases (esp. the Happy Bat Mitzvah), but for the most part looks like a great set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #259  
Mad Swapper

This has been such an informitive thread - I too have Jewish friends and never know what is appropriate and so often times do nothing so as not to upset them. Now I can be part of a brave new world and am looking to purchase my own stamps to use when making cards for my friends. Thank you all for your comments they help us understand what we need to do/say.
Gerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #260  
Inking Addict

I am excited for these also- I'm also glad this thread was bumped. What a nice concise source of information! I married into a Jewish family. So many of the stamp sets that are out there focus on Hanukah. I need to talk to my in-laws about why we seem to miss Purim- that sounds like a fun holiday!

Thank you for a great thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #261  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, i haven't read this whole thread but could someone explain why "Happy Bar Mitzvah" is inappropriate?

Just curious. thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #262  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Ok, i haven't read this whole thread but could someone explain why "Happy Bar Mitzvah" is inappropriate?

Just curious. thanks.
I guess my explanation would be that it's because a Bar/Bat Mitzvah is an achievement - the culmination of a lot of hard work and many years of study. It deserves a congratulations on the achievement, not just a happy day. For example, Happy Birthday is saying have a happy day today because it's your birthday and it comes every year, and you did nothing to make it happen (your parents did, but that's antother story). You wouldn't generally say Happy New Job - you'd say congratulations on your new job - because you worked hard to get it.

Does that make sense? Anybody else wanna chime in with an explanation?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #263  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I guess my explanation would be that it's because a Bar/Bat Mitzvah is an achievement - the culmination of a lot of hard work and many years of study. It deserves a congratulations on the achievement, not just a happy day. For example, Happy Birthday is saying have a happy day today because it's your birthday and it comes every year, and you did nothing to make it happen (your parents did, but that's antother story). You wouldn't generally say Happy New Job - you'd say congratulations on your new job - because you worked hard to get it.

Does that make sense? Anybody else wanna chime in with an explanation?
I agree, not every child who has a 13th birthday has a bar or bat mitzvah. They choose to work for a long time to learn everything!! It is a true accomplishment. Happy just doesn't do it.

Also the traditional yiddish or Hebrew would be mazal tov on your day. Here is the Wikipedia info on mazal tov:

Mazal tov (Hebrew: מזל טוב‎) literally means "good fortune" in Hebrew. This phrase has been incorporated into Yiddish as "mazel tov," and is now used in Modern Hebrew and English as well. It is often used to mean "congratulations."

The expression comes from the Mishnaic Hebrew mazzāl, meaning "constellation" or "destiny." This in turn is thought to have derived from the Akkadian language manzaltu, mazzaztum, In Israel, "Mazal Tov" is used for all sorts of happy occasions, whether they be a new driver's license, a birthday, or the end of an IDF service. Another common use is in a sarcastic way, when someone finishes a task that they wanted to get rid of, for example, after a very hard test.

Note that although "mazal" means "luck" in Modern Hebrew, "good luck" is an incorrect translation of the true meaning of the phrase. This term is not used in the way that the expression "good luck" is used in English (typically as "I wish you good luck"). It is more often an acknowledgment that good fortune has already occurred; the sayer means, "I am pleased this good thing has happened to you." The phrase for wishing good luck is in Hebrew "B'hatzlacha" (בהצלחה), literally meaning "with success".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #264  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Just curious. thanks.
It is not inappropriate; it is just not common. It is no more inappropriate than saying "Congratulations" to a new bride. Marriage is not really something we strive for; it is not a goal we work toward like graduation. A more appropriate sentiment for a new bride would be "Best Wishes."

I assure you I do not know a single child who would turn his nose up at a card that said "Happy Bar Mitzvah." So far, I think the set is beautiful and can't wait for the full reveal. I can't make judgements on things I have not seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #265  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone,
just thought I would put in my two cents worth as a Jewish woman and as a stamp company owner. I happened to also be on nichole's PANEL and had the opportunity to view this stamp set in advance. I personally think it is FANTABULOUS (if I do say so myself). The stamping industry was in great need of a Judaic themed set and I think that Nichole, who is not Jewish, has done a great job and has superceded any expectations. When you do see the complete set, you will not be sorry. The embellishments used on her samples are an absolutely great addition or enhancement to her card. Her images are unique and elegant and have a beautiful twist. The fact that she put "HAPPY" with Bar Mitzvah is not inappropriate in the least.. it may not be used every day, but certainly can be put together. It is a separate stamp and the happy can be used with many other words she has on that same sheet. KUDOS for Nichole who has come up with a phenomenal, desperately needed stamp set that I will certainly purchase and proudly stamp and give to all friends and family
Mwah to Nicole et. al!
Em
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #266  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by s_anthonyView Post
Yeah.. I would love to find out if there are any awesome resources over in Isreal that has this kind of stuff. But I think anyone there is hogging it all to themselves

If your overseas and can share in some secrets - please do!
Actually, a good friend of my parents', my Tanta Marian, lives in Israel for the winter. She said there's a nice scrapbook store in Netanya and she'd look for me. Cool, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #267  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping BellaView Post
Hi everyone,
just thought I would put in my two cents worth as a Jewish woman and as a stamp company owner. I happened to also be on nichole's PANEL and had the opportunity to view this stamp set in advance. I personally think it is FANTABULOUS (if I do say so myself). The stamping industry was in great need of a Judaic themed set and I think that Nichole, who is not Jewish, has done a great job and has superceded any expectations. When you do see the complete set, you will not be sorry. The embellishments used on her samples are an absolutely great addition or enhancement to her card. Her images are unique and elegant and have a beautiful twist. The fact that she put "HAPPY" with Bar Mitzvah is not inappropriate in the least.. it may not be used every day, but certainly can be put together. It is a separate stamp and the happy can be used with many other words she has on that same sheet. KUDOS for Nichole who has come up with a phenomenal, desperately needed stamp set that I will certainly purchase and proudly stamp and give to all friends and family
Mwah to Nicole et. al!
Em
I agree it's fantabulous from what I've seen and I can't wait to see the rest. A TorahBella would be a great addition to your line. *wink wink*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 04:56 PM   #268  
dal
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Just curious. thanks.
My problem with "happy" is that it just not proper English. You do not say Happy Wedding or Happy 1st Communion. You say "Congratulations on". It's sort of like saying Merry New Year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #269  
dal
Kookie Creator

Quote:

~Nichole
So glad to hear that the set is made up of separate words we can combine in our own way. It's so nice that this set will let us put the words together any way we want to! Can't wait till Monday to see the whole set, what we have seen so far is fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #270  
Glitter Guru

deleted

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

�What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike

Last edited by happystamper05; 09-12-2008 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: wrong thread.... so sorry....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #271  
Stazon Splitcoast

Girls, I am so verklempt!! Go look at Lauren's (mytime) blog!! You're going to be jumping up and down like I am!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #272  
Die Cut Diva

I uploaded my Rosh Hashanah card and a bunch of Hanukkah cards to my gallery. They use Shalom Sayings and Holiday Blitz. I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 05:51 PM   #273  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great cards Yapha! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #274  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default PTI's Mazel Tov is posted!!

and it's FABULOUS. Go look! Don't forget to click to the Mazel Tov additions too.

Thank you Nichole!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:28 PM   #275  
Polyshrink Goddess

The PTI set is GORGEOUS. I'm so glad the Happy and the Bar/Bat6Mitzvah is separate. Nichole really did such a fine job and I think she really showed respect, especially by working so hard to get it as right as possible.

I haven't even started my Rosh Hashanah cards yet but I will as soon as I get this set.

Yasher Koach, Nichole. Great great job. Thank you for helping me feel part of the larger stamping community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #276  
Hardware Hotshot

Can you ladies answer an ignorant question from me? My DH asked me for a sympathy card for a co-worker who is Jewish. Is there anything special I should do or not do? Also, does anything in the PTI set cover sympathy cards?

TIA,
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 07:53 PM   #277  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Awesome!

I've seen the stamps on the blog, but how do I purchase?

And, how do I use clear stamps????

Please help!!!

Toda Robah!

Quote:

~Nichole
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #278  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by pleasespammenowView Post
I've seen the stamps on the blog, but how do I purchase?

And, how do I use clear stamps????

Please help!!!

Toda Robah!
Nichole's retail site is here:

www.papertreyink.com

Tonight is her release night so the site might be a little wonky (although it was better tonight than on previous release nights.) All the new sets are linked on her front page.

You use clear stamps much like rubber stamps, but you will need some acrylic blocks to stick them on (Nichole also has those on her site under "Tools"). Stick the clear stamp to an acrylic block, stamp on your ink pad, then on your paper. Nichole's stamps come with instructions.

Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 AM   #279  
Die Cut Diva

Very nicely done, Nichole. Mazel Tov is a beautiful set! May you go from strength to strength!

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 AM   #280  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the explanation on the "happy" not being the best sentiment for a bar or bat mitzvah. I bought the set. It is perfect for what I have in mind. Every "holiday" season we have a silent auction in my office to raise money for charity. About a third of my office is Jewish and I never donated a set of Christmas cards because I wanted a Jewish set to donate as well.

Now I can make cards for my Jewish friends and co-workers, make cards and other items to donate for the auction, and I'm thinking there HAS got to be a market to sell these cards as well!

Thank goodness for the sheet on how to use what symbol and when. Makes it easier to avoid a faux pas.
Reply With Quote Likes