Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:08 PM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I'm not THAT cheap!!

My brother-in-law came to me the other day and asked if I could make a bunch of simple cards for all different occasions - say about 50 - for him to give to people instead of him buying them at a store and spending $5 to $6 a card - but....wait for it.....he told me that he doesn't want to pay me more than 50 cents maximum per card! He said that he knows how much I love making cards so he thought it would be fun for me to design a whole bunch of cards and that he would tell people that "his sister-in-law made it" so it might lead to more people asking me to make cards for them! Yay...not :eek:

I politely refused of course - I'm not that silly and it wouldn't be in the least bit fun - and honestly, I laughed about it afterwards. I did tell him that the cardstock base alone would cost 50 cents because I use good quality cardstock - let alone everything else - so he told me to use cheap stuff from the $2 shop because people will throw it away anyway....sigh.....

I am not bagging my BIL - he is a very nice guy: it just really brought to light very clearly that people out of "our cardmaking world" have no idea what we do and the time & effort & cost it takes to create something. And for me, making bulk cards for someone isn't remotely enjoyable - it is actually boring after the 2nd card. Once a card leaves my home, I don't really care what happens to it because I had the joy of making it - but I would be doing myself (and other cardmakers for that matter) a disservice by selling my artwork cheaply. Oh well, it gave me a good laugh.....kind of, sort of.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha wow, 50 cents. I, too, hate making cards in bulk, so it's not a project that I would take on for that little money. If he usually spends $6, why not offer you half of that per card at least?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2016, 11:45 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Ah yes, but the whole idea is so that HE can save money....ha ha....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2016, 11:46 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

If you hold card making events, invite him over to participate and make some cards. He may take up a new hobby; or, he may realize the time and effort put into even the easiest card. Just a suggestion. Happy Stampin'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Every little bitty once in a while, that naughty little voice on one shoulder speaks up. Ever had that happen? This might be one of those times when 'that voice' seems to say, "Add up the approximate cost of your products for one of those cards. And tell him ... before mentioning time required to do 50."

Perhaps we've all received some unknowing comment from a totally clueless person. I know that I have ... but they really do not understand, unless they are a crafter. And, probably 99% honestly don't mean to be offensive at all ... thankful! ;)

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 06-29-2016 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 06:19 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Goodness! A while back I did a rough estimate of everything I'd spent so far in stamps, ink, paper, tools and divided it by cards made. :shock:

At this stage, I think I'm down to about $100/card. lol!

(Totally agree with the idea of inviting him to come and make a few. OR ... is he handy in some way you're not? Maybe a swap of skills?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 06:20 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

He should tease his hair up higher so things won't go over his head...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Omg...I almost spit my tea....tease his hair...100/card....you guys are killing me today. You guys are SO much nicer than I am.

Yeah, sure. I'll have it for you in about five years. (when I have made that many I am willing to toss in a box and give you)

I'm sorry. If someone made that suggestion to me...I'd tell them where to go. I'd be less insulted if they asked me to just do it for free as family. Only my DH gets to treat to treat me like Dobby, and not often either. (always without realizing it-but he never makes the same mistake twice LOL)

It's always the "Nice guys" who come out with that stuff with the big eyes...yeah, uh huh...go away. Wanna come spend 100 hours working on my house for $25 total? I have leaves to rake, gutters to be cleaned, bushes that need pruning, etc etc. You will need to provide your own tools.

Did you tell your sister?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 08:12 AM   #9  
Demo Challenge Leader

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
OMGosh!!!! I will still be giggling an hour from now!!!!! :LOL:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

im sorry but he sounds like a real cheapskate. even if has no concept of the cost of the time and supplies he is asking you for a custom ordered, handcrafted product. I don't think its even respectful to offer so little for someone else's handiwork, even, or perhaps especially, if they're family
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think he's a cheapskate. I think he must be clueless about the costs of nice craft supplies (not to mention your time). For example, a male co-worker is getting married soon, and I spent extra time and made a nice card. I sent it around to a handful of his closest co-workers, one of whom is my boss.

My boss looks at the card and says "You made this?" I answer yes. He says "I didn't know you could make something so nice."

What did he think I'd make? Obviously, he's clueless too. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Oh boy how clueless! Sometimes you just have to excuse stupidity ;) Perhaps your dear BIL (and I'm not saying he's not a great guy, he's just -ahem- misguided! ...) Perhaps he would be happy and ever so pleased to change the oil in your and a bunch of your friends cars, for say, a couple of bucks. Of course he would supply the oil and filters
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 09:01 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamper1996View Post
I don't think he's a cheapskate. I think he must be clueless about the costs of nice craft supplies (not to mention your time). For example, a male co-worker is getting married soon, and I spent extra time and made a nice card. I sent it around to a handful of his closest co-workers, one of whom is my boss.

My boss looks at the card and says "You made this?" I answer yes. He says "I didn't know you could make something so nice."

What did he think I'd make? Obviously, he's clueless too. LOL
Are you sure he meant you you vs the universal you meaning that anyone could make something that nice? Those pronouns can get people in trouble all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Are you sure he meant you you vs the universal you meaning that anyone could make something that nice? Those pronouns can get people in trouble all the time!
You (and I mean you, wavejumper) are very nice . . . I would not have taken it that way

My favorite comment is "Where do you find the time??" to which I'd like to answer "Don't you have any hobbies?".

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
You (and I mean you, wavejumper) are very nice . . . I would not have taken it that way

My favorite comment is "Where do you find the time??" to which I'd like to answer "Don't you have any hobbies?".
I hear that! The one I don't get is "I'm bored." Really? Truly? With all of the books and movies and games and puzzles and national parks and local parks and a bizillion recreational activities and countless supplies for every imaginable interest readily available at any given moment you're BORED?!?!?!?!?! I never cease to be amazed when someone in my vicinity actually says those words out loud...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I never cease to be amazed when someone in my vicinity actually says those words out loud...
AMEN to that . . . I could never run out of fun things to do . . . and my job gets in the way!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

JoBear, do you give your BIL gifts for his bday, or Christmas? Well, you could make him 10 cards total for the year instead of a gift. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Honestly? I think offering you 50 cents apiece is rather insulting, no matter how "easy" he thinks it is for you to make them. Would he do anything for 50 cents? By telling you that you would get exposure for future orders, he obviously knows they are worth much more than he's offering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 03:52 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

AMEN to that . . . I could never run out of fun things to do . . . and my job gets in the way!
Too, too, true. My job gets in the way, too! Your comment made me laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get some construction paper, slap a sticker on it and call it a card. If he questions your work tell him that sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2016, 05:57 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Oh my gosh, gregzgurl, I burst out laughing about the hair comment - hee hee! And I am also never, ever bored - I have my finger in so many pies - and there is never enough time to do all the amazing things that are out there.

My BIL is a very nice & kind-hearted guy - he is retired and the eldest brother of my husband but there is a HUGE age gap of about 20+ years. And he is single with no kids, house paid off & very tight with money but is actually very, very wealthy. We don't actually give birthday/Christmas gifts to any of my husband's siblings anymore - we just give to the nieces/nephews & great-nephews/nieces because all of my husband's siblings are retired & really don't want anything.

My BIL is very creative esp. with woodwork and many years ago (when I did tole painting), I painted an old ship on the lid of quite a large box caught in a storm & antiqued it & distressed it to look very old - took me a reallllly long time but he really appreciated it & it took pride of place in his loungeroom. I think he is just clueless when it comes to cardmaking & thinks you just slap things together like at kindergarten. I have always made him quite detailed cards but he wouldn't know that I actually coloured something in or that I dry-embossed the cardstock.

That being said, my BIL buys really cheap gifts & even when we used to have a Kris Kringle at Christmas time with the siblings & the amount we roughly would spend was about $50 - $60 so you are buying just one sibling a really good gift (mostly gift vouchers as most siblings were interstate) & he would give you voucher for $10. It was embarrassing really!

I guess on principle, because I KNOW my BIL can afford buy a card - and probably the whole Hallmark card business - I wouldn't consider making cards for him - part of me is a bit insulted; part of me is laughing; and the other part of me is saying: "For heaven's sake, stop being so darn cheap - you can't take the money with you - buy the cards & keep our local Newsagent in business because they are struggling to survive!". :-P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

jobear, it must be interesting to read the peanut gallery's analysis of your bro-in-law
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ugh, I can't stand cheap people like that. I understand being cheap if you can't afford otherwise, but being cheap while being wealthy? That's just tacky. My parents are exactly like that, have several LARGE bank accounts but won't even buy groceries if the checking account they use day to day dips under a certain balance—several thousand dollars high!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2016, 07:42 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Sue, I am officially "borrowing" your comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2016, 10:50 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by creativechbdcraftsView Post
jobear, it must be interesting to read the peanut gallery's analysis of your bro-in-law
Sure is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 02:46 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had some of those requests and for one persistent cheapo I worked up a quick supply list for 25 cards if you had to buy everything. The cost was about $10 per card then I tacked on minimum wage per hour. I told her once she bought the suplies I would help her to make them...haven't heard from her since. Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 05:02 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I heard a great story once . . . I'm not sure if it's true, but it should be! According to the story, someone came to a craft fair and said to the crafter, "I'd like that necklace but I think it's too expensive. The beads cost X, the clasp costs Y and the wire costs Z. X + Y + Z = A, so I'll pay you A." The crafter agreed and said she'd send the person the necklace. The necklace arrived the next week . . . in pieces, with a note that said, "Here is your necklace. You paid X for the beads, Y for the clasp, and Z for the wire. You paid nothing for my time or talent, so you can assemble it yourself."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 05:45 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really in your BIL's defense, but what is one of the lines used to entice folks into this hobby - "Think of all the money you can save by making your own cards!" We all know that's crazy talk, but it's out there - every so often, it's a suggestion in a magazine on how to save money (and makes me laugh like a deranged maniac). It's a perception that's out there.

I have a lady on my bowling team that has asked me to make invitations for her a few times; she always offers to pay for them, but she supplies the cardstock and I tell her I'll just do them because I like doing them. I figure I'm coming out ok, because she'll give me a whole ream of cardstock and tell me to keep the leftovers, and I'll maybe use 30 sheets out of it. (Her husband used to work at a paper mill, and each employee got to choose a certain amount of free product each month, so it was free to her, but worth a great deal to me!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #29  
Demo Challenge Leader

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Sue, I am officially "borrowing" your comment.
Me too! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 09:33 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't be insulted at all. I don't think the average person (especially men) have any idea how much time, money, and effort we put into our cards. When I started, I actually was someone who thought id save money by making my own card....hundreds of dollars later...ha, ha....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Not really in your BIL's defense, but what is one of the lines used to entice folks into this hobby - "Think of all the money you can save by making your own cards!" We all know that's crazy talk, but it's out there - every so often, it's a suggestion in a magazine on how to save money (and makes me laugh like a deranged maniac). It's a perception that's out there.......
This is a front cover of an Australian magazine: "Save money by making your own cards" - hee hee! They often repeat this on their magazine cover & I just laugh every time I see it!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm not THAT cheap!!-cardmaking-magazine-cover.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 03:24 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know! Save money ... and time! Remember that one?! Think of the time you'll save. You can make a personalized beauty in less time than it takes you to drive to the store and search for that just-right card. Yeah, right. lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:56 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

sorry to say....when we make cards it's worth more than fiddy cents....$store sells cards 2 for $1.00............that is where he needs to go !!!!! ")
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I save by making cards... I save the hours I used to spend trying to find the perfect card for each person on every occasion.
Could we have the same BIL? Mine grudgingly asked me how much he owed me after I made all the window treatments and home decor items for a new master suite and bath. Coy B--ch that I am, I replied, "You could NEVER afford my work. It was a labor of love for Sis." He actually looked relieved but I still felt smug. That may be small and mean, but hey, that's the kind of person I am!
Seen the rubber stamp that reads, "If you think I made this card because I'm cheap, you never bought a rubber stamp."?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 06:23 PM   #35  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"If you think I made this card because I'm cheap, you never bought a rubber stamp"
OMG, I love that! I have spent thousands on my crafting - I adore card-making so much. Now that my kids are big, I don't give handmade cards often (except xmas), but I was one of those people who got sucked in by the comment of 'think how much money you'll save not buying cards'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 06:44 PM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Yes think how much I'll save... AND -- get this! I actually thought this : 'I'll get this one stamp set and ink pad... Think how many things i can do with that! Hahahahaha how long did it take me to get tired of that all one stamp set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

I absolutely DO save money. Not time, but money. You do usually have to use something more than once though like a stamp. Labor will never be comped well. It's just a question of use levels for the stuff.

Unless you dont use a thing. That is straight loss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I absolutely DO save money. Not time, but money. You do usually have to use something more than once though like a stamp. Labor will never be comped well. It's just a question of use levels for the stuff.

Unless you dont use a thing. That is straight loss.
I heard a great rule of thumb years ago. They were applying it to clothing purchases, but it applies across the board, I think. Instead of considering the cost of the item only, break it down to cost per use. If it's a dollar per use (or less) then it's probably a good purchase. I've been paying much closer attention to that rule the past few years.

Kind of an over-the-top example: I've been collecting many of the "Angie Girl" stamps from Unity. Even on sale they run $8 - $10. I'm okay with that because I'm using them on a project for each of the women in my family (including nieces and cousins), so each will get used at least 20 times.

Sorry to go off-topic a bit, but the thread was sort of wandering that direction, so I thought I'd throw that out... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 09:12 AM   #39  
Glitter Queen

Default OMG!!!

Quote:

I heard a great story once . . . I'm not sure if it's true, but it should be! According to the story, someone came to a craft fair and said to the crafter, "I'd like that necklace but I think it's too expensive. The beads cost X, the clasp costs Y and the wire costs Z. X + Y + Z = A, so I'll pay you A." The crafter agreed and said she'd send the person the necklace. The necklace arrived the next week . . . in pieces, with a note that said, "Here is your necklace. You paid X for the beads, Y for the clasp, and Z for the wire. You paid nothing for my time or talent, so you can assemble it yourself."
That is just brilliant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Some people don't even consider time and talent .. it blows my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes