Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, why not call SU up and ask if you'd get a discount if you bought one of EVERYTHING in the entire catalog? ;)

Just kidding ~ of course, unless you're like made of money... then why not??? But like everyone else has said ~ go slow. I think the best thing you can do is make sure you have a really Great support team.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Everyone is right - you do not need it all at once.

I didn't quite follow that advice, though, I have issues.

Happy Shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by djuselessView Post
Thanks Nancy for backing me up! I must admit though, when I get into a new hobby I need everything and I want it now. It is so hard for me to refrain from buying things since I am convinced that I am OCD. I am also a quilter, do I need to explain how much fabric I have stored in the closet of my craft room? Plus I also do machine embroidery. Do you really want to know how many different colors of thread I have?

So when I typed out my list of advice, I am speaking from experience. I have bought and sold so many stamps sets because I thought I needed it. Plus, wait until we introduce you to other stamp companies outside of SU, like Papertrey Ink. I love them! I just discovered them in February and I already have 25 stamp sets. See what I mean!!!
Then you already have PTI's quilting stamp set, right? I don't quilt, wish I did, and still want those stamps! I hear they will be coming out with more patterns, too ;)

(just giving Erin a look at her future LOL!!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #44  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Did I read that right...56$ worth of Stickles?? If so, girl, you do not need 56 bucks worth of glitter glue. Buy 1 or 2 bottles to start with...you will not need every color...maybe get a clear one and one that is your fave color...you can add on as you go.

Sounds like you are getting lots of good advice, from the above postings...unless you have tons of moola, I'd heed the advice. Buyers remorse is not fun. Believe me, I know. Anyone need an ATG gun??:rolleyes:
Oh, Denise?!! What's wrong? I love my ATG ... I've used it such a long time without running out. There was a thread awhile back about SNAIL giving out after awhile and I didn't believe it until I went to my sister's house and she had all the cards I made her on a shelf and most of them were starting to come apart. LMK, D. ~ why don't you like the ATG?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:36 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am surprised so many people said to pass on the re-inkers!! I could not LIVE or at least STAMP without them!!! My customers are always amazed at how crisp and bright images are at workshops, but when they stamped at home, the images seem sad and faded. I knew they were using SU whisper white card stock, but further delving into the problem and we discovered that they had never re-inked their ink pads!! I re-ink my pads often!! I think it is essential to quality! Plus, there are so many cool techniques that use re-inkers . . . like dying flowers in your Pretties Kit, making fun backgrounds, using a drop or two on plastic palettes for watercoloring and the list goes on. Now most of my customers do not purchase an ink pad without also purchasing a re-inker. It just makes sense to me!!

Ok, stepping off my soap box! lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:58 PM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey! You only live once, right? (Well, more than likely...) I say go for it all.....

Sign up to be an SU demo, get it all with your 30% first order discount, then tell hubby that you just saved him big bucks... I'm sure he'll see your point! <Ow!> (Tongue was in my cheek and I just bit it....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Also do not discount (LOL) your friends on here who not only will enable you, but are also available for image swaps and card samples. I know there is WISH RAK and I have forgotten what the image rak is called (probably just that)
So you can maximize your images by trading images of your one or two (or three or ten sets) for images from the thousands owned by your closest friends.

If you REALLY need a reason to pare it down, jump on over to the recycle wish forum, and see what we are finding that we no longer use. Had to have it, don't use it, need to pass it along(so something else can come in the house)

good luck!

Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:14 PM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

I think it's fun to NOT have everything. It makes me think about alternatives when I see a card in the gallery that I like--how can I do something similar with the supplies I have? When I first started making cards, I got one multi-pack of paper of one color family, white card stock, a couple of stamp sets, a black ink pad and maybe one other color. You will be amazed on how many different cards you can make with just those supplies! I do agree that a quality paper cutter, scissors and adhesive are essential to card-making. And check into getting together with other stampers to share stamp sets, punches, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

If you are going to make a business out of SU, remember you can't demonstrate what we don't sell. It is great that the nestabilities do what the punches do, but we don't have nesties. :( Most of the successful demos have a very tight hold on the purse strings. Now, if I could just convince MYSELF that I don't need EVERYTHING for my personal use. :rolleyes:
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:36 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

If I had it to do over again I would have purchased the stampin spots by color familys and the markers the same way. I also would have just purchased by cardstock in assorted packs instead of a full pack of each color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2008, 03:47 PM   #51  
Mad Swapper

I say ditto to the stampin spots and the asst. packs of cardstock. Some people I know put a dot on the bottom of each stampin spot each time they use them, so they know which ones they use the most so they can buy full size pads. On the cardstock, I bought asst. packs, then I was able to see what colors I used the most and bought full sized packs. I also would have a friend or two and go in together and share packages of cardstock. That way we each got a half or third a package and were able to get more colors.

I would only buy one coloring medium for now. I don't use my water color crayons or pastels nearly as much as I should. I use my copic markers the most, followed by my SU markers and watercoloring with my ink pads and a waterbrush.
Reply With Quote Likes