Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you're leaving SU, where are you going?

Well, the SU quarter is about the end, and if you're like me and you didn't want to sign the new independent demonstrator agreement, you'll flush out soon. I used to limit my purchases primarily to SU. Staying focused on one company was my way of limiting my spending. Now I'm having a bit of an identity crisis - there are so many incredible options out there that expanding my horizons feels a little like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. It's a fun kind of dilemma to be in - I'm having lots of fun playing with different products I've avoided for a while . . . Copics, digital stamps, . . . But, at some point, just to keep my spending in check, I'm going to have to try to narrow my focus.

I'm taking a class in December to be a Copic designer - I'm so excited! So, here's where I think I'm going to focus my crafting energies (and money):

Mo Degital Pencil - adorable digital stamps
Whippers Snapper stamps - love Ann Wight images
Texana Designs - love the Texas themed stamps
maybe Magnolia stamps,
and I still love SU, so I'll still buy from one of my downline from time to time

So . . . is any other ex-SU demonstrator having the same identity crisis? And, if so, where are you going?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Oh, and please - no hijack discussions over the virtues and vices of the new IDA or SU in general - I'm just hoping for a fun discussion of the new horizons available outside SU to new ex-SU demonstrators.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Hey! I'm in the same boat as you actually, but I started dabbling with "other" companies a while ago. I'm also attending the same Copic Certification class as you! (I actually think I live just down the road from you and attended your large craft sale in Behren's??) Anyway, I've really enjoyed stamps from:
Taylored Expressions
Verve Stamps
Papertrey Ink

and of course products from the local Archiver's and online from:
Ellen Hutson
All that Scraps
Emma's Paperie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I started wavering on SU vs. non-SU awhile back. My favorite non-SU purchases were a surprise. I always LOVED the SU matching inks/paper/cardstock thing. But I LOVE...

Paper packs!! Probably because the pages in them tend to coordinate so well. And they are much cheaper than buying SU paper, especially since Hobby Lobby has them on sale half off at least one week out of each month. (although, even at full price they are cheaper than SU.) My favorite so far is My Minds Eye. I also got a Creating Keepsakes at a convention class that I LOVE, but haven't been able to find anymore of those.

Second I love the variety of different rub ons from other companies. I love rub ons, but SU couldn't possibly touch the wide variety you can find out there if you put all of the other companies together. SO many great ones!!

Have fun finding new things!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm thinking of trading in my ink pads for some distress inks...and more versafine..

Oh the possibilities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've gone in a totally different direction and have started crocheting again. I think I just got burned out with paper and needed something softer to fondle for a while. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

As much as I like SU, I can't imagine limiting myself to one company :mrgreen: do what makes you happy!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm with you-movin on. Did get a letter from SU a few weeks back reminding me how easy it is to just sign the IDA - nope, I'm not planning to sign. I have had a few months to live with my decision not to sign and I haven't regreted the decision. I am waiting for the customer mini catalogs to be sent and then will send my resignation to SU- just received my last set of catalogs. I have already been buying stamps and supplies from other companies. I will continue to give classes out of my home and my previous customers are excited to learn about other products. I have purchased quite a bit from PTI, destressing inks, cuttlebug folders, Waltzinghouse, Flourishes, Justrite and Spellbinders. I have Copics and need a class - will be searching for one in my area.

I have told my stamping buddies that I will refer them to a SU demo in my area, but so far no one has asked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't sign either and I am LOVING...
Kraftin' Kimmie stamps
Unity
CC Designs
The Greeting Farm
to name a few...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathy lynneView Post
I've gone in a totally different direction and have started crocheting again. I think I just got burned out with paper and needed something softer to fondle for a while. ;)
This is funny, because I felt the same way and started knitting again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is the funny thing about not signing the IDA, not one of my upline even contacted me to see if I am going to re sign the IDA. Since I never had much support from them, I shouldn't be surprised. Disappointed, though,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 04:06 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Linda... You will LOVE the Copic Class!!! I took one a few years ago from Marianne Walker, and LOVED it... it's a difference style as you know... I wish you all the best girl!!!

I'll be watching for great things from you!!
Faith
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was never a demo - and I hope you don't mind if I respond - In the past year, I've purchased several sets of PTI stamps (paper trey ink) and I adore them! Before my close friends were SU! demos and I pretty much always bought from them - then I decided I liked the control I had with unmounted and tried PTI. Can you say awesome?? I'm also planning on buying some Gina K soon - I do want to try the clear mounted SU! when they come out.

Oh and thats kinda ironic - I've really gotten into crochet lately and am making most of my Chanukah gifts that way!

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never ordered exclusively from SU even as a demo. There's way too much out there that's my stamping style that SU doesn't even come close to having. While being a demo, I've picked very specific non-SU stuff because I knew I couldn't show to potential customers or use with demo-only swaps, so my non-SU purchases weren't as big as I wanted. Now that I don't have to worry about showing SU stuff at all since I'm not signing the new IDA, I'm finally going to order all those PTI stamps that I've adored for ages but couldn't justify getting just yet. My Eat Cake Graphics, Purple Onion Designs, Cornish Heritage Farms purchases will increase (I've been buying a little from them for awhile now), plus I want to add to my collection of Tim Holtz line of stamps and inks, plus all those great stamps from River City Rubber Works. Right now I can't see myself getting into the Copic markers since I tend to watercolor my images and will continue to do that with my inks and watercolor paints. I've never been a big fan of SU's patterned papers/designer papers, so I'll just continue buying from companies that I've been buying from (Basic Grey being one of my favorites). For solid cardstock, I'll get SU for colors that match my kids' school colors if I can't find alternative makers. For regular cardstock, I plan on ordering PTI and GinaK since I've heard such amazing reviews for both. I've never been head over heals in love with everything SU but tended to buy from them if they had stuff similar to what I'd seen elsewhere to make my minimums and get the discount, so buying from other places now becomes very freeing and fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 07:47 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a SU demonstrator. My question is: will these companies supplement your income? I use my instant income and overrides to pay for my stamps and accessories.
There are a lot of lovely companies, but unless you sign up as a demo, you won't be getting a check from them. Only paying out to buy from them.
Not everyone can be a demo or wants to. But now that I'm been one for such a long time, I think it would be very hard to pay for my hobby out of my household budget.

You should enjoy what you're doing, so hopefully you'll be fine with your decision.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 08:02 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stasiatoddView Post
I'm a SU demonstrator. My question is: will these companies supplement your income? I use my instant income and overrides to pay for my stamps and accessories.
There are a lot of lovely companies, but unless you sign up as a demo, you won't be getting a check from them. Only paying out to buy from them.
Not everyone can be a demo or wants to. But now that I'm been one for such a long time, I think it would be very hard to pay for my hobby out of my household budget.

You should enjoy what you're doing, so hopefully you'll be fine with your decision.
Stasia

Hi Stasia,

You make a valid point, but not everyone wants or needs to be supplimented by SU (or any other direct sales company for that matter). I make extra money by selling my cards, teaching classes with SU competitor products (tombow markers, cuttlebug products) and stamp illustrating. I also receive products from being on design teams and I tend to make more money by doing these things than I ever did with SU (also SU doesn't offer any of these options) - so that pays for my crafting obsession as well as helps with many of our household bills :mrgreen:

You are an SU demo and love it, therefore didn't have any problem staying exclusive to SU or signing the IDA, so that was the best decision for you Some of these women either felt dissapointed with the position that they were put in with the IDA or have decided to leave for other reasons and therefore they have the options of opening up other crafting opportunities - this is a win/win situation for everyone who made the decision to either stay or leave SU based on their own personal beliefs and situations :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mean to start a fuss, just have a question about the IDA rules (wondering if my demo will continue). Is it basically that they use only SU products? If so that won't be a problem for her. If it's something else, I may need to call her and put in a bigger final order.

As to where to go next on this sea of possibilities ... hmmmm ...don't really know what to tell you. I have a set budget. Beyond that, I just play and see where it takes me. I've fallen in love with Penny Black stamps and CB embossing folders (not together ... at least not so far). As a former SU hobby demo I have a ton of stash, so mixing it up with a little bit of new and fresh keeps me very happy.

I don't stress about my budget because I know if I don't get 'that thing' this month, by next month it's likely they'll have a new and improved thing if the original isn't available.

I love Addicted To Rubber Stamps and the wish list you can keep there,I've had several 'oh this is adorable!s' turn into to 'whah? what was I thinking?'

The latest thing on my wish list (not even available in ATRS) is impressions mega rocker acrylic stamp block and these ginormous backgound stamps. They create the coolest cards in no time. I'll see if I can find a link to an example,

This gorgeous card is a 5.5 x 5.5 square and takes less that 5 minutes to make, start to finish. Sarah from the Paper Cut in Appelton showed us how ridiculously easy it was to make. And there are other backgrounds available .... happy sigh ...

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 11-28-2009 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #18  
scrapperazzi

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
I don't mean to start a fuss, just have a question about the IDA rules (wondering if my demo will continue). Is it basically that they use only SU products? If so that won't be a problem for her. If it's something else, I may need to call her and put in a bigger final order.
*snip*
Jeanie, we can still use whatever we want to use but we can't blog and link about other companies products. Also, we can no longer be on design teams for other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Stasia
The OP specifically asked for NO HIJACKS to discuss her decision! Your post is totally negative in that context: not-so-subtly telling the soon-to-be-ex-demos that they are stupid for making the decision to leave SU.

Why can't you just respect her decision rather than trying to prove some point?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
The OP specifically asked for NO HIJACKS to discuss her decision! Your post is totally negative in that context: not-so-subtly telling the soon-to-be-ex-demos that they are stupid for making the decision to leave SU.

Why can't you just respect her decision rather than trying to prove some point?
That is the way you read it? Haven't you ever ignored someone to make them go away? The mere fact this conversation is on the general board made me think the post *might* be to bash SU, but I was happy it was a nice thread until that.

I signed because it fit me, but I read this post because I have been buying only SU due to budget. I wanted to see what was turning people's heads now. For me, it was always a soft spot for Magenta but I have looked up one company I never heard of and one I hadn't thought about in quite some time because of this post. I hope to see more responses like those so I can see more great lines!

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MewsinView Post
Jeanie, we can still use whatever we want to use but we can't blog and link about other companies products. Also, we can no longer be on design teams for other companies.
Ah! Thanks, Jodi.

(Whew! She's not online much at all, no blog, no DT ... no worries there. She's fabulous, btw, but rarely (gasp!) even makes her way to SCS!!! *shaking head*)

(Oooh, another piece of trivia re my fab SU demo ... she used to be on Gina K's downline 'back in the day'.)

OK, back to the regularly scheduled thread ...

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 11-29-2009 at 03:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 04:19 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been buying Papertrey Ink products. The cardstock is very heavy, even the white and ivory. And they have matching ink and ribbons.

Do I "make money" (via a demo discount) from Papertrey Ink? No but that's OK. I'm a discount demo with SU! anyway and have a set amount that I can spend each month. Will I continue to buy SU! after I'm dropped? Yes, because I am very happy with their decision to offer unmounted stamps, plus I like some of the new stuff coming out in the mini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 06:10 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The best decision I ever made in the stamping world was NOT signing that IDA
I have found so many fabulous other stamps since September!
I joined a CTMH monthly club and I love it!I love their stamps.
I also have been buying Sugar Nellies, Whiff Of Joy, Ginak, Sarah Kay, Stampscapes, Serendipity and a few others.
I LOVE IT!
Also several of my old customers have also opened the new stamp company door since they come over to stamp with me and fell in love also. They are now buying other stamps from other places like I am.

And no - The little loss of that SU income does not affect me. Actually I like being a customer again and not a demo. If I ever do demo again - I may just have to choose CTMH.
Personally I do not have to get a paycheck to use a companies products. I am a customer and love it. I have NO RESTRICTIONS on what I buy and post online. I have no restrictions of what I can talk about or stating/listing a name of a product and the maker.
I love the freedom that I now have. I keep finding new stamps all the time I want. Keep shopping around and you will find so many you will love to.
Look at my website list---
WEB STORE LIST A-Z! Check it out

Last edited by meluvstampin; 11-29-2009 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #24  
Gabfest Goddess

By no longer being a demo (who ended up the last several years of being a demo who only had one purchasing customer - me!), I'll actually be saving money. The little discount I got from SU ended up being negated by their shipping costs (since most other companies I purchase from offer free shipping after spending a certain minimum amount) and also their higher prices since it seemed like when I first started purchasing SU, it was a good deal, then over time it was more like I was paying a premium price to purchase the SU name. So many other companies carry the style of stamps I prefer (like the grunge style or vintage - which SU used to have then almost completely got rid of the vintage and only now is starting to put it back in with Shellie's "favorites"). As a demonstrator who had no customers or only customers who would purchase only if I or SU was offering tons of goodies for free, then in order to maintain a demo-ship, it was still $300 worth of product each quarter. Since their style of stamps has changed so much since I started buying them, it was getting harder and harder to find $300 worth of stuff from them that I was interested in. After awhile, I had no more room for more cardstock or ribbon and they didn't offer me the variety in stamps that I can get from purchasing from whoever I want - with no set amount that I'm required to purchase! Since there was never big sales from me because there wasn't enough that I liked, I seldom got Great Rewards and with the compensation plan changes right after I signed up, I seldom earned any volume rebates.

I forgot before on my list of companies to list Addicted to Rubber Stamps, basically because they're more of a retail-type of store that carries different stamp lines. I buy regularly from them during their big percentage off everything sales with special reduced shipping. I can buy certain things from all different stamp lines all at once. I still will purchase from the individual companies since Addicted to Rubber Stamps only carries limited stuff from each company. For the full line, you have to go to the company themselves, but the Addicted sight is great for those interested in expanding their stamping purchases since there's a search function. I've managed to be exposed to smaller stamp companies that carry what I haven't been able to find elsewhere by finding certain stamps from their company on Addicted, then googling the company's main website and finding their entire line. Great resource/tool for finding new companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

These days, I'm spending more on my newly rediscovered hobby of needle art than I am on stamping. Truly, after six plus years as a demo, ten plus years as a stamper, I reached a saturation point. I'm not a gal who likes to make stupid purchasing decisions that she has to sell off at a fraction of the original price when the next catalog debuts. So I've culled my collection quite a bit, and only purchasing when there's a hole to fill. These days, I'm really enjoying Gina K stamps and my stash from amuse, the saltbox studio, and Ellen Lockhart. I know I'll be buying more paper products from Gina K in the future, and if I have the need for an impulse buy, I can go to Archivers and buy with a coupon. We've noticed a BIG savings on the crafting budget in our house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by blondie090277View Post
Hi Stasia,

You make a valid point, but not everyone wants or needs to be supplimented by SU (or any other direct sales company for that matter). I make extra money by selling my cards, teaching classes with SU competitor products (tombow markers, cuttlebug products) and stamp illustrating. I also receive products from being on design teams and I tend to make more money by doing these things than I ever did with SU (also SU doesn't offer any of these options) - so that pays for my crafting obsession as well as helps with many of our household bills :mrgreen:

You are an SU demo and love it, therefore didn't have any problem staying exclusive to SU or signing the IDA, so that was the best decision for you Some of these women either felt dissapointed with the position that they were put in with the IDA or have decided to leave for other reasons and therefore they have the options of opening up other crafting opportunities - this is a win/win situation for everyone who made the decision to either stay or leave SU based on their own personal beliefs and situations :mrgreen:
Kim - Thank you - you put it so well.

Honestly, I had just gotten to a point in my SU business where it was paying for my "habit" so it did cross my mind that I will either need to watch my spending more closely or find another way to pay for it. It's encouraging to hear about all the other available options. And truly, teaching was what I always enjoyed the most. I think it will be a lot more fun to teach without pushing sales to promote my business at the same time.

Oh, and Kim, I've been a follower of your blog for a long time. Your work is true art - you are one of my heroes!

You know, ladies, it's like we need an ex-SU support group. ;) There are so many other questions I could ask you . . . (1) Did you announce that you were leaving SU to your blog followers? And, if you did, did you lose a lot of followers? (2) What, if anything, are you doing to supplement your income now? (3) How have your customers responded?

I'll start

(1) Have you made an announcement? I've drafted an announcement and never posted it because I just can't seem to get it right. I really don't want to bash SU because I still love their products, I "get" why they have the new IDA and I don't want to say anything to harm the demonstrators I love to dearly. Since I still plan to use SU products occasionally, I may never make a formal announcement. Oh, yes, and every time I post something non-SU, someone "unsubscribes" because "content no longer relevant" - breaks my heart.
(2) How will you supplement your income? One of the reasons I'm leaving is because my day job has become so demanding it became almost impossible to teach classes. I inspect nursing homes, and we get called out of town a lot - often without notice. I had to cancel so many classes it wasn't fair to my customers. I've applied to another job that would give me more predictable hours, so hopefully, then, I can teach classes again. I'll be a certified Copic designer in December, so hopefully that will place me in bigger demand in other venues like scrapbook stores.
(3) How have your customers reacted? My customers have been very supportive. They tell me over and over again that anytime I'm ready to teach again, they'll follow me. They've always let me know that they take my classes more for the projects I offer than the product - so no worries. It's just the blog followers I risk losing - but probably most of them of SU demonstrators anyway.

This discussion about the sea of opportunities outside SU has been so fun - Thanks ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #27  
Mad Swapper

I haven't been a demo for 3 years now but did leave for similiar reasons as some demos are doing now. When I left I couldn't believe how many more fun companies there were out in the stamping world! I discovered just how great clear and unmounted stamps were. I started buying from many different companies but have faithfully kept to buying from my three great companies. They are Papertrey ink, gina k and Hanna stamps! I may not be able to order them all every month but they are the one's that I go to when I have stamping money
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I signed the agreement, but it didn't concern me since I have no blog and can honestly say I never will. (I have enough issues with computers,lol). I think it is a case of what works for you and what doesn't. People talk about SU losing alot of talent and that is so true, but fortunately for us, we didn't. There comes a point in almost every job that you are faced with a decision to stay or go. You weigh the pros and cons and make your decision.
While I am not leaving, I have to say that I would love to take a Copic class and wish there would be one close to me. I have never been SU only. There is way too much out there and I honestly do not expect one company to fulfill all of my needs. That is why there are so many stores because we are all different and have different tastes but it would be boring if we were all the same.
Anyways, enough of my rambling. I would like to wish those who have decided to move on to something new the best. Thank you for all of the inspiration (and enabling) from a SU perspective and I look forward to inspiration using all of the great things that are to be found out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #29  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Stasia
The companies I support do- Doing design work for manufacturers and getting published is one of several ways you can be compensated.

I tried the direct sales thing and it didn't work for me- however, I know many that are hugely successful doing it- and that's awesome for them! Something out there for everyone!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickUpsView Post
You know, ladies, it's like we need an ex-SU support group. ;) There are so many other questions I could ask you . . . (1) Did you announce that you were leaving SU to your blog followers? And, if you did, did you lose a lot of followers? (2) What, if anything, are you doing to supplement your income now? (3) How have your customers responded?
1. No, I didn't make any sort of announcement on my blog. I did take down all the SU! links, though. I dont' have many blog followers and none of them are SU!-exclusive anyway. So, no, I didn't lose any followers.

2. I am a discount demo, so in reality, I will be saving money each month. I have a set amount that is budgeted for SU!. But, I haven't ordered any SU! products since the end of the last quarter; instead, I've placed a couple of orders with PTI and spent less than my budgeted amount.

3. Well, I am my own best customer and my mother occasionally orders something. She understand why I decided against continuing with SU!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey, the important thing is that you're enjoying yourself and fulfilling your creative needs, right? Nobody thinks you should stay in a situation where your heart isn't in it, kwim? So have fun! There are SO many different companies out there to explore. You undoubtedly won't love all of them, but I'm positive you'll be head over heels smitten with others, lol. So enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Hey, the important thing is that you're enjoying yourself and fulfilling your creative needs, right? Nobody thinks you should stay in a situation where your heart isn't in it, kwim? So have fun! There are SO many different companies out there to explore. You undoubtedly won't love all of them, but I'm positive you'll be head over heels smitten with others, lol. So enjoy!
You are such a gracious lady....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I did purchase non-SU prior to the new IDA, but was very secretive about using the non-SU items. I was so afraid one of my customers would see me using items from other companies. The decision not to sign has freed me up to use all the items in my craft room. I did have some good customers, but the commission I made on sales really never paid for my habit. I did make money on my classes and now will continue to teach classes, but I will use whatever product I want to share with my crafting students. I did announce to my customers that I would not be signing up with SU. No one seemed alarmed by my decision. Actually, I think I am saving money because now I buy what I want and keep the items because they are items I want, not what I think I should have to demo just to be discontinued in a few months. I actually feel liberated. Love using the clear stamps and will definitely unmount the rubber stamps I decide to keep. I have spent a lot of time developing an organizational system for my clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I will say that being on some design teams has truly helped my craft budget and teaching at stores will sometimes get you a discount for your product. I also sell my cards and sell older items I no longer use. I have worked by butt of the past year to improve my stamping, getting copic certified and broadening my horizons in how I make cards and I am proud of where I have gotten in the past year alone. Now I am no where close to the mega talent I see on here daily but for ME I have truly discovered more of my passion for crafting since using non SU stamps. If anything..I have found my love again and it has stopped being such a job which is what happened to me.

I forgot to mention some of my other faves in my first post ...
Whipper Snapper- oh how I love thee
Gina K
My Favorite things
Stampendous

I am really looking forward to learning more about other companies as well. I am just looking at A Muse and I ADORE their simple style..sigh....my wish list grows tee hee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

sorry...before anyone thinks I am bashing SU because I am not I just want to share it will always be my first love It's because of SU that I was introduced to stamping and I will always be gracious for the skills and friends I made through that company. While leaving was right for me...it was on good terms....no bridges burned and fond memories remain
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by StickUpsView Post
Kim - Thank you - you put it so well.

Honestly, I had just gotten to a point in my SU business where it was paying for my "habit" so it did cross my mind that I will either need to watch my spending more closely or find another way to pay for it. It's encouraging to hear about all the other available options. And truly, teaching was what I always enjoyed the most. I think it will be a lot more fun to teach without pushing sales to promote my business at the same time.

Oh, and Kim, I've been a follower of your blog for a long time. Your work is true art - you are one of my heroes!

I'll start

(1) Have you made an announcement? I've drafted an announcement and never posted it because I just can't seem to get it right. I really don't want to bash SU because I still love their products, I "get" why they have the new IDA and I don't want to say anything to harm the demonstrators I love to dearly. Since I still plan to use SU products occasionally, I may never make a formal announcement. Oh, yes, and every time I post something non-SU, someone "unsubscribes" because "content no longer relevant" - breaks my heart.
(2) How will you supplement your income? One of the reasons I'm leaving is because my day job has become so demanding it became almost impossible to teach classes. I inspect nursing homes, and we get called out of town a lot - often without notice. I had to cancel so many classes it wasn't fair to my customers. I've applied to another job that would give me more predictable hours, so hopefully, then, I can teach classes again. I'll be a certified Copic designer in December, so hopefully that will place me in bigger demand in other venues like scrapbook stores.
(3) How have your customers reacted? My customers have been very supportive. They tell me over and over again that anytime I'm ready to teach again, they'll follow me. They've always let me know that they take my classes more for the projects I offer than the product - so no worries. It's just the blog followers I risk losing - but probably most of them of SU demonstrators anyway.

This discussion about the sea of opportunities outside SU has been so fun - Thanks ladies!
Awe, thanks Linda! You are so sweet!!!:mrgreen:

I didn't do a formal announcement on my blog because I will still purchase SU products (because I do love them) but I just decided that I wouldn't advertise for them anymore. I unlabled all of my posts marked SU due to my descision and I did loose a few followers but I was never SU exclusive. I was just a hobby demo so I didn't need to inform any customers just my best friend ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Not having a blog myself and therefore don't know all that goes into tracking blog followers, when some have said they've lost some followers, is that only people who have signed up for email (or whatever) notifications of when you post to your blog? I've never signed up for any type of notification on any blogs, but regularly go to certain blogs that I've bookmarked that are my favorites. There are some blogs that I didn't go to very often because they were SU only, and I prefer blogs that have a variety of companies represented (since I have a variety of companies in my stamping stash). I now go to many of those sites more often since they're not SU only anymore. But I don't know if the blogger themselves will notice or not since I haven't signed up for notifications. Just wondering how you guys would know one way or the other when people like me go to your blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #38  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Not having a blog myself and therefore don't know all that goes into tracking blog followers, when some have said they've lost some followers, is that only people who have signed up for email (or whatever) notifications of when you post to your blog? I've never signed up for any type of notification on any blogs, but regularly go to certain blogs that I've bookmarked that are my favorites. There are some blogs that I didn't go to very often because they were SU only, and I prefer blogs that have a variety of companies represented (since I have a variety of companies in my stamping stash). I now go to many of those sites more often since they're not SU only anymore. But I don't know if the blogger themselves will notice or not since I haven't signed up for notifications. Just wondering how you guys would know one way or the other when people like me go to your blogs.
You can track who "follows" your blog on blogger and well as if you use an rss feed like feedburner. I can go in and see how many of my readers are email subscribers and how many use readers etc. I also get an email notification when someone unsubscribes from my blog if they use email subscriptions. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too am finding a new freedom since October one. I did not sign the IDA because I do a tiny bit of design team work and just wasn't ready to give it up and have been invited to do more since then. It was a really difficult decision for me because I did have customers, lots of customers. I actually had around $2500 in sales in September alone so this was a really big deal for me. I did make an announcement and threw myself a retirement party. I also made sure that each and everyone of my customers was fixed up with a new demo. I feel bad for my downline but I know my upline will take good care of them, she is really good that way.

I loved Stampin' Up! and their products and respect their decision to change stuff so don't think I am bashing them. I am still in love with the whole matchy, matchy thing but I am enjoying giving a whole new world of stuff a try. I always had some non-SU before but always felt like it was contraband. I have enough money set aside from my last quarter to keep me in supplies for a while (at least I do if I stop buying Copics, LOL) and have begun selling some of my cards. I am exploring the possibilities of teaching at a stamp store north of me come spring and am finally motivated to try sending some stuff in for publishing. So maybe SU did me a favor by shoving me out of the nest?!?! We will see...

I am loving Cosmo Cricket, Basic Grey and My Mind's Eye designer papers. Whiff of Joy, Kraftin' Kimmie and Stamping Bella have been getting my stamp money.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 05:23 AM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

great thread~! I'm sticking with starvingartistamps, papermakeup and sherrod studio...although...anything that catches my eye is up for grabs as well. Oooh thepossibilities! (But I still use SU cardstock and inks!)
Reply With Quote Likes