Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ideas for new families coming to our school

I am a room parent for my child's school. They generally do things for new families. Any ideas of something to present to these families?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

What about a school box with some pencils, erasers, crayons. A folder aand maybe some nice name tags. This is a great idea! I'll be following this thread since we get a lot of transition in our schools here.

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

hi Jamie,
Thanks for your input. the kids are the farily easy ... its the parents that we are thinking off. Something to make them feel welcome but nothing too over the top in terms of money and time. One of the pillow box dies/ or maybe matchbox with a name tag that says welcome ? Others
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about an altered clip board to hold the school calendar or other memos? I know the one I made for a teacher friend was so useful I made one for myself--and I am retired from teaching!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 07:25 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

We moved into our current school (from overseas - I realize that not everyone does) - no welcome or anything and all the "jargon" that the school used and expected us to know was just mind blowing. Loads of things came out from the school with abbreviations and although they were explained once, they were explained all at once and my brain went into meltdown. I still consider that Asst Principal to be a very unpleasant person. So any kind of "cheat sheet" on how the school/classroom for that year works would be great IMO - not reams of paper a singular cheat sheet with ALL the important information on it.

That might not be what you had in mind but that is what I would have found most helpful.

And maybe a secondary sheet with how things work in the community - local organizations and contacts relevant to their children's age. Where kids play sports contact info etc. Cheaper places to get supplies just anything would have been helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would get some of those school pocket folders that go on sale for cheap when school supplies are out. I would put take out menus from various restaurants in the area that are favorites and put in one of the pockets. Plus, if there are brochures for the library, local park district, etc, I would add those.
Maybe a typed list of phone numbers for emergency numbers in your area.
The previous poster referred to school information. I would type up a brief list of dates for school events for the year or a school calendar, also the information about the school(website, phone number etc). Maybe include the PTO President's name or your name and number to contact for any questions someone could answer or help with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
We moved into our current school (from overseas - I realize that not everyone does) - no welcome or anything and all the "jargon" that the school used and expected us to know was just mind blowing. Loads of things came out from the school with abbreviations and although they were explained once, they were explained all at once and my brain went into meltdown. I still consider that Asst Principal to be a very unpleasant person. So any kind of "cheat sheet" on how the school/classroom for that year works would be great IMO - not reams of paper a singular cheat sheet with ALL the important information on it.

That might not be what you had in mind but that is what I would have found most helpful.

And maybe a secondary sheet with how things work in the community - local organizations and contacts relevant to their children's age. Where kids play sports contact info etc. Cheaper places to get supplies just anything would have been helpful.
I like this idea! I wish they'd do it for ds (we are just starting school this fall)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Our school has a new parent night a week and half before school starts (separate from open house). They did a scavenger hunt for the kids and a presentation for the parents and handed out a few papers. Also, kinder parents were given a folder with a disc showing what to expect in kinder. the folder had a few papers in it (school supply list, calendar etc), but it wasn't too much.

Maybe a little plant?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Inform the parents how to get involved (with class parties, field trips, projects) if they would like to.
If the child starts in the middle of the year, it's nice to get them a class roster (or school buzz book/family directory) so they can contact parents of kids in their child's class to arrange play dates, etc.
Christy
Don't worry about tomorrow, each day has enough trouble of it's own. (Matthew 6:34)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh and info on the "done" thing in that school/class/larger school... I had an early school year birthday and didn't have a clue what was ok not ok, expected etc. In the end we did nothing because we kept getting oh do what you want - um no, I need an answer as to what other moms do and what is expected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
on that note, you might if doing a list like this, put a list of the local animal shelters or such. I know that a lot of people bring pets with them and because it is a new home might not have changed the tags on the pets. If thier pets get out and get lost they might have no idea who to call to report the pet missing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #12  

Totally agreeing with RiverIsis on this. Have moved into several new school districts, and a sheet explaining the jargon and the 'culture' would be LOVELY!!!! ;)

It's tough being the new kid anyway, and if your mom/dad/guardian doesn't have a clue about what's in style, what to do about birthdays, what is/isn't allowed, etc, it's even harder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2009, 07:14 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 482 Likes on 302 Posts

along with Riverisis: as a teacher receiving those new families---I would include my home phone, a short summary of where the class is as far as skills being covered and a mandated test list/schedule-----and ask the parent to come in real soon to discuss where their student is academically so placement in groups can be smooth and ease transistion for the child. The list of "jargon" is an absolute must and so would be the
"culture" of the school/community regarding birthdays etc. Our school has a student handbook that is given out to parents when they enroll but it is pages of reading though it does address birthday treats-(not allowed usually), dress codes, before and after school programs and some other things. but it doesn't address the Music programs, band, orchestra, sports....so those would be nice to know about.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes