Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just don't understand .....

I am just baffled.
I added a new card in the gallery yesterday and it has 162 views but 0 comments...WOW is it really THAT bad ???

'Thanks'
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 06:18 AM   #2  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

this comes up a lot here, I think people just run out of time to comment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 07:01 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Think of it this way ... 162 people liked it enough to zoom in for a closer look. Though I enjoy comments as much as the next person - my head swells sometimes just by the number of peaks.

<smile>

Love the card by the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 07:06 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's like that now. It's somewhat disheartening but I also try to look at the busyness of the site and how much there is uploaded to wade through! I'm trying to leave comments on the underappreciated cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 07:14 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes it is that bad ~ and 162 views in a day is fantastic!! I used to get that in less than an hour with several comments... as recently as maybe a year ago, I'd have to check... maybe it's been longer.

I totally turned around on my thinking about this ~ came to really appreciate that people even viewed and perchance favorited a card. Even views are way down... but then, maybe I'm just slipping LOL!!

Now... I don't even think about views, comments, etc. I like to have a gallery that I can send the link to someone or show my family and friends if they are interested. I love that it's on a site that I can visit from anywhere so it's terrific.

I realize that if you started your gallery just two years ago, or earlier, it's quite a change and adjustment. But I hope people don't stop posting just because of the decline in views/comments. It is so inspirational to see the work here and you never know where even one view can lead someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Your card is wonderful--my rule is: if I put a card into my favs I comment, I usually only put into my favs because I would like to case. If I commented on every card I did a close up on I would be here all day. Like a previous poster stated--it is a compliment if someone wants to get a closer look. HTH --we are all just too busy to comment on every deserving card out there as there are just way too many!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like to look, but often don't have time to comment. I see views as a compliment of my work. It's so fun to see how many views that I got.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:32 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Default my 2 cents

When I search on a stamp set for ideas, I always go to the bottom of the page and change the sort. I sort on the "# of views" not the "number of comments". I figure that gives a better idea of the "best" cards made with that set. Furthermore, I don't look at comments. I'm sure not everyone agrees with me, but reading "pretty color combination", or "great", or "beautiful", or some other thing little thing means nothing to me when I am looking for ideas. I also have never commented on a card, but I have CASED many! Hopefully when the designer sees her # of views clicking up that will give her some affirmation that the card is good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #9  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't looked at your gallery (at least not yet) but I was gallery surfing this morning and did not make a single comment ... because my cat was on my keyboard! I was able to use the mouse (how's that for irony) to favorite some stuff but typing was not happening.

I do look in My Favorites every so often when I have time (and an accessible keyboard) to make comments.

Just wanted to offer a reason and assurance that lack of comments (or views or favoriting) on anything in a gallery the size of what is here on Splitcoast is no indication of poor quality, lack of talent, or anything else negative.

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 10:51 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your card is very pretty. Please no one flame me but some people don't comment on cards that don't have the stamps sets and or other supplies listed, some just do not have time to comment on every card they look at and so on. Tons of cards get no comments everyday - it is nothing against the creator- there just insn't time with all of the uploads everyday.

I personally do not worry if no one comments on my cards. I like it when they look at it because I know they clicked on it for a closer look and that is a compliment to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone stated her that they looked, but don't always have the time to leave a comment.

If you had time to look you had time to leave a comment. It doesn't take that long to leave a kind word about someone's creation.

Any time I look at someones card or creations I leave a comment too.

Because I took the time to look, I feel it's fair to leave a comment.

I know that everyone has other things to do during the day. And life get's in the way, But if you're going to look then take the time to make someones day!

You know yourself if you put in a card or creation you would like some comments too.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't have much in my gallery and haven't uploaded anything for quite a while, sometimes I think if I spent as much time actually making cards as I do checking out all the latest at SCS I might have more to post, but anyways, what little I have, I've learned that the views mean every bit as much as the comments.

Your card is beautiful and the beaded snowflakes are delightful and inspirational.

Pablo Picasso
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:27 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

If I click on it for a closer look....I leave a comment. I figure if it intrigue me enough thru the thumbnail, it deserses some comment! (tho, I will admit, I've been looking at "views" and "fav'd" more in my own cards since the comments don't seem to flow like they used too in general)
Exploring Creativity~blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

I can't argue that everybody could use a kind word, myself included. But, at the same time, many people have various and valid reasons for not leaving comments, and no one is ever, nor should they feel (IMHO), obligated to leave a comment, just because they looked at something.

If you have the time to comment and do so, that is AWESOME and I have no doubt whatsoever that it is greatly appreciated by many!

But, I don't expect comments just because I uploaded something, or because someone looked at it, and I don't feel slighted, perturbed, disappointed, dejected, or rejected, if nobody does. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I can't argue that everybody could use a kind word, myself included. But, at the same time, many people have various and valid reasons for not leaving comments, and no one is ever, nor should they feel (IMHO), obligated to leave a comment, just because they looked at something.

If you have the time to comment and do so, that is AWESOME and I have no doubt whatsoever that it is greatly appreciated by many!

But, I don't expect comments just because I uploaded something, or because someone looked at it, and I don't feel slighted, perturbed, disappointed, dejected, or rejected, if nobody does. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julie this message spoke to me. Thanks for adding it to this post.

It made me think in a different light.

I've been thinking a little negative about things. and that's no right!

Thanks again Julie. I'm glad that you're apart of SCS and can give some insight.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

i find if i truly like a card (pretty much always) i'll leave some sorta comment but lately i just dunno what to write about the card it may be a stunning/beautiful card but i find myself trouble on how to express what i like about it. and sometime I'm just strapped for time so leaving a comment just doesn't work... I love coming on SCS and seeing the beautiful cards but i must say i browse new uploads quite a bit ...so please don't stop the uploads just cause no one comments I'm sure they are extremely stunning and are very appreciate even if they aren't comment on!i know it sometimes feels bad with lots of views and no comments that it's "Unliked" but that's not the case. I use the half full scenerio atleast it was viewed! And most times enjoyed and i enjoyed making it so that's all that matters to me. TFL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by chispiritView Post
I am just baffled.
I added a new card in the gallery yesterday and it has 162 views but 0 comments...WOW is it really THAT bad ???

'Thanks'
Are you talking about the Tri fold snowflake card? It is BEAUTIFUL! Do not worry about getting comments. Some people just don't bother. Others leave comments only for people they know. Please, don't "stone me" for that but it is true. Others do not stop to think about the stamper, who just might need a little pat on the back.

Here's where I really get a tongue lashing but I will try to say this as politely as possible. Our society is such, today, that everyone has so much to do in very little time. I have found that along the way, we are beginning to become wrapped up in our own little world and we are forgetting about those nice little gestures that make others feel good about their accomplishments. We see evidence of this every day. Heck! If someone won't even hold a door open when they see another person right behind them, can we expect a comment on a card in a gallery?
I have been in swaps where nobody even thanks the hostess for doing all the work involved.
Maybe all we each have to do is stop for a minute and think how we would feel if the shoe were on the other foot.
Just my opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Julie this message spoke to me. Thanks for adding it to this post.

It made me think in a different light.

I've been thinking a little negative about things. and that's no right!

Thanks again Julie. I'm glad that you're apart of SCS and can give some insight.
{{{{{{{{Nancy}}}}}}}}

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Ditto! If I am obligated to comment just because I looked at something, I will stay out of the gallery. If enough people feel this way, even the view counts will go down.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 03:01 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

WOW, first I feel guilty, then I read a post that makes me feel better, then I get a real 'Wham' post that makes me feel terrible, then I read Julie's and I feel a little better again. I am one of those 'guilty' people that try and check out the new posts everyday, but I really don't have time to comment on each and every one. I usually surf quickly and only view the ones that 'jump out at me.' (Oh yea, your 'tri-fold' was a jump out and I did view and didn't comment) I was getting ready to leave for the Cleveland Clinic with my daughter and didn't take the time to post a comment. I could of done a one liner, but I don't feel that is the right thing to do, I like to add more than one word to a beautiful card. I don't have a gallery, haven't gotten the nerve to post anything, but I can tell you that I enjoy looking and love so many cards that SCS gals have and share. I promise to try harder to leave a comment. Hopefully after getting both girls back into college, I will have more time. Please don't feel to bad about not getting a comment, if it was viewed, you know it was "great" and something drew all those people to view it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #21  

Personally I think that at this time of year we are busier and perhaps some of us don't have as much time to comment on cards as we are looking through the gallery. I know once my children are back in school I will have more free time for myself and some more time to spend here.

Like a poster above stated about leaving comments when putting a card into my favorites. I do the same thing; however I've also seen cards in the gallery that have been favorited a lot and then there are hardly any comments on it. Take this card for example- it has been favorited 50 times, but it only has 6 comments:

Sympathy Card by StampinChristy at Splitcoaststampers

I like to participate in the gallery comments threads or the blog comments thread when I want to leave some comments and also receive some. Lately I've been trying to leave more comments.

I'm also hosting a gallery comments game thread. I welcome everyone to come and play. The link is in my siggy line. All you need to do is leave 5 comments on anything in the gallery and I will pick some winners (and I'll be sending prizes) once the thread is over. More information can be found in the first post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

{{{{{{{{Nancy}}}}}}}}

Julie Thank you! I really needed that.;)

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 04:50 PM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL! At least you're getting VIEWS! I uploaded a couple of cards in the past week that I really loved ( geranium and a skateboarder), and they don't even have 50 views! A lot of my recent cards haven't been viewed by many. I chalk it up to the sheer number of cards uploaded daily. Unless a card is linked to a challenge, no one sees it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

i love all your cards happy heart, i'm thinking, if you don't get views, then i am not feeling like i am that awful of a card maker cuz i don't get alot of views ever, let alone comments, to get 40 is average, it's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks everybody for at least explaining why it is the way it is.

Thanks also to everybody who left such nice comments on my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I don't really ever think about it. Even when people look at my blog but don't comment...doesn't bother me! I just have fun and if someone wants to say, "HEY! GREAT JOB!" then so be it. If they don't, then that is just fine, too. Because I like it and the person that I give it to will (hopefully) like it.

I thought your card was pretty!

Now what would upset me is if someone was all, "UGH WHY DID YOU MAKE THIS UGLY CARD?" hehe Though I've never gotten that ever...yet. LOL! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I have only recently started uploading my some of my cards. I didn't want to at first since I felt a little intimidated with all the beautiful cards I have seen on this site. I am my own worst critic. I looked to see if anyone even looked at them, and I couldn't believe how many people looked...and then I had some wonderful comments. That made me feel incredibly happy. My friends and family give them compliments, but they are friends and family and sometimes I feel they are just being nice. No one on here knows me, so I don't feel anyone is obligated to say anything nice or anything at all. I am very appreciative for the nice comments I did get, and if someone had any constructive critism, I would not be offended either. I also understand that not everyone has the luxury of spending a lot of time, and commenting on all they look at. I try to make comments, but sometimes I just want to look at as many as I can in the shortest amount of time, because I don't have that much time. I thank everyone who has looked at mine!

Sorry for the long post...

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Isn't it funny how we all want comments? I used to be obsessed with them when on a scrapbook site. I have not uploaded much here though so I tend not to pay as much attention. In all honesty I just recently started checking out the gallery here more. I love what I see, but frequently browse it during my half asleep moments before bed. I rarely comment. Not because I don't love the work. Just because I am kinda just looking and sleepy.

That said, I finally got my blog going again recently. Yikes... I stalk that thing. I used to get more comments, but lately it is kinda dead. I had 33 views today and no comments. :( So I know the feeling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

What I have noticed over the years of looking in the gallery is that the cards that have tons and tons of comments are the ones that are actually in a challenge of some kind OR, a tutorial was recently posted and they give a specific place to leave your cards that follow the tutorial.

To me this make a lot of sense, because the ladies who are in a challenge, or are entering their card from a newly posted tutorial are eager to see what others are doing and they comment on each others work.

So if you are comparing your 0 comments to one that has anywhere from 15 to 50 comments, don't feel bad. Just remember that you posted yours all on your own and had to depend recent viewers to even see it. Does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 08:39 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

WOW...just look how many looks you have now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Ddon't flame as I don't mean this in a bad way, but lately there have been a few thread with people complaining that their cards are not getting the comments that they had hoped for or felt deserved. Would a better solution be to just get rid of the comment section altogether if is is turning into a comment contest? Let the number of views and the favorites be the validation for the card.

Honestly getting to feel a little guilty if I actually look at a card and don't comment, if I have to comment on every card, then I too would stop looking. Hoenstly does anyone comment on every single card they have looked at?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inky PawsView Post
Honestly getting to feel a little guilty if I actually look at a card and don't comment, if I have to comment on every card, then I too would stop looking. Hoenstly does anyone comment on every single card they have looked at?
Ditto.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=Inky Paws;14832642]Ddon't flame as I don't mean this in a bad way, but lately there have been a few thread with people complaining that their cards are not getting the comments that they had hoped for or felt deserved. [QUOTE]

Or posting to get comments on a friend's or relative's card. I mostly skip these type of threads and refuse to look at the cards in response.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

When I try to leave a comment on a card that I like, for some reason my computer will hang forever but it doesn't do the same thing when I'm on the message board! It drives me crazy waiting so often I will only look but not comment. Please know that I am so very appreciative of the talent on this site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inky PawsView Post
Would a better solution be to just get rid of the comment section altogether if is is turning into a comment contest? Let the number of views and the favorites be the validation for the card.
You know, this really isn't a bad idea? Or, maybe the box for comments can be a box that automatically posts as a p.m. to the creator, rather than posted publicly, although I'm not sure this really solves anything other than we would still be able to receive constructive critisism if that's what we're wanting for our gallery? Maybe the comment count can just be something between the creator and SCS? I dunno. I just know I wouldn't like to get rid of comments alltogether because I do like getting feedback. I do like the idea of validation coming from views and favorites, because really, comments don't really mean a whole lot for the reason mentioned earlier..........some cards get more comments because they're part of a challenge or a swap, some get more comments if the creator is part of an SCS 'group', such as the dork sisters, who tell each other when they post new stuff and then the rest go check it out and post all kinds of warm fuzzies, there's lots of reasons some get more comments. So the true validation, (which I think we all need sometimes), comes from views and favorites.

I don't know.......not sure what the solution is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, I have a different take on this whole gallery thing. I don't leave comments, because I never bother to look at the gallery. The only time I have even been in the gallery is if a tutorial references a particular card/technique.

I do like the idea of having a gallery though as a place to upload a card to, but I figure why bother even with that, I can take a photo and save it on my computer or upload it to PhotoBucket. On the sewing forums I'm on, there are no galleries, if ladies want to show their work they just link a thumbnail to their post. So from my perspective, the idea of wading through hundreds and hundreds or cards would seriously bog down my day. I do like it though when I am reading someones post they put a link to one specific card. I'll click on that.

It's a shame your feelings got a bit wounded by no comments, but like everyone said, just be glad you got the views.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I appreciate everyone uploading their works of art. I draw a lot of inspiration from being able to type in a set and have all these marvelous ideas. I favor the "let the views and favorites be your validation." I leave comments on cards that really grab me. I love getting comments ( thanks to those who have commented on mine!) but no longer expect them because of the number being loaded. I sincerely hope everyone continues to share their work so many of us can get pleasurer and inspiration from them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 04:38 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

When I first started posting my cards here I was focused on comments as much as views, but over time for myself realized that it is just as much a compliment to me the number of views as getting comments left about my card. There are so many talented people on this site, I think I would get redundant commenting on all of the lovely cards that I have viewed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I try to leave comments but not all the time. I live in the dark ages and am still on dial up because of my rural location. This is the best absolute best site but of course they are still working on things too. For instance when you comment on a card then hit your back key...no luck. So that means starting from scratch and going to Todays Additions and starting all over again. That is the main reason I don't leave many comments. I do agree with others that if your card warranted a closer look it's because it is eye catching. Don't be so hard on yourself or you will cease to have a good time. Create because it makes you feel good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

"Create because it makes you feel good!"

Sorry, cannot get it to quote. I feel the same way! Also, I went into my gallery earlier because I didn't know that you could tell if you have been favorited. I was so excited to see not only how many people looked, but also there were some who actually put my cards in their favorites! I was ectastic! I like the comments, but I feel as though that is even more of a compliment.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes