Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default I can't be the only one....

Who spent 3 hours making last minute cards last night for my DH and my SIL and BIL......at least I was not doing it on Christmas morning like I did last year:rolleyes:

I have a hard time making Christmas cards when I don't feel 'Christmasy'... but at least I got them done.

I also managed to make a Nativity Scene Luminary and I have another Snowflake one to assemble and I will be done.

Anyone else a last minute panic crafter? lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 05:52 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Made one this morning as I wait for the airport shuttle to come and pick me up!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't make cards, but I did make several Christmas tags last night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Made my hubby's, daughter's and son's card yesterday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 06:44 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I am sitting down right now to make some gift card holders. My cards were done and mailed a couple weeks ago but I always wait until the last minute for gift card holders and tags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 07:03 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Oh, I think I have you all beat. I am just starting my cards today. My craft room became my daughters room when she had to move back in. My stuff is stacked and piles everywhere. That will be the fun part. Looking for my stuff to do the cards. I hope to get them out before the New Year. Just extending the Christmas celebrations I guess. 😳
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkowal4View Post
Oh, I think I have you all beat. I am just starting my cards today. My craft room became my daughters room when she had to move back in. My stuff is stacked and piles everywhere. That will be the fun part. Looking for my stuff to do the cards. I hope to get them out before the New Year. Just extending the Christmas celebrations I guess. 😳

You are just spreading the Christmas joy and celebrations...shame to get everything all at once
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #8  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Don't the Twelve Days of Christmas begin ON Christmas Day? If so, anyone sending them out now is not technically late!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
Don't the Twelve Days of Christmas begin ON Christmas Day? If so, anyone sending them out now is not technically late!
Absolutely! That's why it's called a holiday "season" :p

I just finished and delivered Christmas cards for my neighbors, with a CAS design that I just came up with this morning I personally love to do these types of projects and bake as well on Christmas Eve while listening to choirs from around the world sing Christmas carols. It really puts me in the spirit! I made Christmas cookies at the end of November for a swap and that just didn't do it for me � too far away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I did not finish all my Christmas cards. I mailed a few out last week. But I have an entire list of people I wanted to send cards to that will not get them. I guess that's OK. They won't know the difference since I did not send out cards last year or the year before or the year before that. :eek:

In 2016 I plan to take part in the SCS Christmas Cards Challenge. I hope that it will put me in the Christmas spirit all year and then come Dec. 2016, I'll be able to send out cards to many friends and family members, without any added last-minute stress.

2016 Christmas Card Challenge by annsforte3 at Splitcoaststampers

Many thanks to Ann (annsforte3) for hosting the 2016 Christmas Cards Challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I think I'm going to get back in the challenge this year too.

But this is the FIRST year ever that I wasn't doing everything at the last minute. I like it!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2015, 07:52 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkowal4View Post
They will be happy new year cards!!!

Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 01:30 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I cut my cards out in July for the first time. It's a good thing I did because they were a bit involved. I didn't get them all put together and sent out for the first time ever. I didn't start putting them together until Dec. A few are going out as new year cards. I always end up taking a day off from work to finish them. This year I could only take a 1/2 day.

Along with making the card is the time to address the envelope and I like to use a few stamps on the envelope too (not to mention getting them to the post office-I hate to leave it for our mail carrier-they always seem to be mixing up what goes in our mailbox. I don't trust that person who ever they are). I use a lot of my dollar Michael's stamps on envelopes. I always underestimate the time to do these two things. Or like this year I didn't even factor it in.

I always pick a complicated design. Not a good idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 04:57 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I confess, I was dropping Christmas cards in the box at the post office last night, right after Christmas Eve service! I decorated my envelopes with pretty washi tape from Simple Stories. It was a LOT faster than stamping, and I love the look. Now I just have to hope the washi doesn't get stuck in the machines at the post office. Crossing my fingers that cards arrive unmangled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
(not to mention getting them to the post office-I hate to leave it for our mail carrier-they always seem to be mixing up what goes in our mailbox. I don't trust that person who ever they are).
How is it that you live in the Midwest and have the same mail carrier as me? Several times a month I get other people's mail. It makes me wonder how many times others have received mine but not bothered to give it to me.

This Christmas, I put my return address on the back of my A2 envelopes. On the front, I put the mailing address and postage stamp(s), just like you're supposed to. Then I took them into the post office to make sure each one had enough postage, and personally handed them to the clerk.

Two days later, one of the cards that I sent to Canada, with three obviously Christmas (Peanuts) stamps on the face, was delivered to ME. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 08:19 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
How is it that you live in the Midwest and have the same mail carrier as me? Several times a month I get other people's mail. It makes me wonder how many times others have received mine but not bothered to give it to me.

This Christmas, I put my return address on the back of my A2 envelopes. On the front, I put the mailing address and postage stamp(s), just like you're supposed to. Then I took them into the post office to make sure each one had enough postage, and personally handed them to the clerk.

Two days later, one of the cards that I sent to Canada, with three obviously Christmas (Peanuts) stamps on the face, was delivered to ME. :confused:
That is smart to put the return on the back. You should ask them why that bounced back you. If they cant come up with a reason they should re-post for free. 3 stamps should have more than covered up to 2 oz to Canada which last I heard was 1.20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
That is smart to put the return on the back. You should ask them why that bounced back you. If they cant come up with a reason they should re-post for free. 3 stamps should have more than covered up to 2 oz to Canada which last I heard was 1.20.
Yes, the $1.20 is the correct international price and my three forever stamps was more than enough to cover it. The reason it came back is because at least one not-so-bright bulb at USPS thought my return address was the mailing address, even though that side had no postage. For that to happen, it had to be routed back to my post office from the sorting unit and then my mail carrier would have to deliver it. So I think at least two people weren't paying attention. At least they didn't leave me a note saying I owed postage! LOL

The gal at the post office took care of it by slashing through the return address with a black Sharpie and marking off the bar codes on both sides of the envelope. No charge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Yes, the $1.20 is the correct international price and my three forever stamps was more than enough to cover it. The reason it came back is because at least one not-so-bright bulb at USPS thought my return address was the mailing address, even though that side had no postage. For that to happen, it had to be routed back to my post office from the sorting unit and then my mail carrier would have to deliver it. So I think at least two people weren't paying attention. At least they didn't leave me a note saying I owed postage! LOL

The gal at the post office took care of it by slashing through the return address with a black Sharpie and marking off the bar codes on both sides of the envelope. No charge.
Amazing.

My shaker card to my sister was returned to me. And it was so mangled. I used the fun foam instead of the foam tape so it would withstand the machines and not look thrashed. Well, it was thrashed. I don't know what machines they use to frank the envelope (bulldozer?), but the bottom was slit (so I just opened the envelope) and saw all the corners were creased and it looks like the card had been folded in half at least twice...

I mailed that on December 3rd, and I got it back December 20th. It didn't even leave my county, but it took 3 weeks to return it to me. And they franked the stamp.

I Skyped with her and showed her the card and shook it for her. She oooohhed over it. Told her that was it for her Christmas card.:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 06:28 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

That happened to me, too. I think I put the return address label too far down/ near the center of the back of the envelope because the flap had a point and I put it on the point to help hold it closed. I now put them on the front top left corner all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 07:06 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually have my cards done in plenty of time. This year my cards were done the first weekend in October. Getting them in the mail before Christmas is the challenge for me! It's usually Christmas Eve. This year it was Dec. 22. Woo Hoo! I was EARLY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2015, 07:13 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janet1000View Post
Amazing.

My shaker card to my sister was returned to me. And it was so mangled. I used the fun foam instead of the foam tape so it would withstand the machines and not look thrashed. Well, it was thrashed. I don't know what machines they use to frank the envelope (bulldozer?), but the bottom was slit (so I just opened the envelope) and saw all the corners were creased and it looks like the card had been folded in half at least twice...

I mailed that on December 3rd, and I got it back December 20th. It didn't even leave my county, but it took 3 weeks to return it to me. And they franked the stamp.

I Skyped with her and showed her the card and shook it for her. She oooohhed over it. Told her that was it for her Christmas card.:lol:
Anything thicker than 3 brads in a row or a bow on a card I pretty much walk the card in the PO so it can be hand cancelled and pay a non machinable rate, just to be safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2015, 04:36 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default I caan't be the only one thread!!

I have been searching and searching for anything that would help me to learn how to use different fibers in my cards. I bet I have 200 feet of different types of artic fiber. Does anyone have any idea on how to use them???:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Alas .... I didn't get my complete "planned" number of cards ready for mailing on time this year. In the past, I've sent a few after-the-fact. Not this year. If the card didn't get sent, it wasn't made/finished ... and I'm moving on to January's needs now. Not a grinch ... but I'm just not going to start of the new round of stamping from "behind". Moooooo-vin' on. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2015, 02:35 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I completed two papercraft gifts for my SIL and niece Christmas Day! woohoo! Have a stack of incomplete Christmas cards. Guess I have a jump on next year's cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by phraramaView Post
I have been searching and searching for anything that would help me to learn how to use different fibers in my cards. I bet I have 200 feet of different types of artic fiber. Does anyone have any idea on how to use them???:
I have no clue what artic fiber is. You might want to ask this question in a new post in the tools & products forum.

I did see a video of someone using a bunch of left over bits and pieces of cardstock on a small canvas. She just piled them up and gave it a thick coat of gel medium, then painted over it. It was interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OZg4t8o-AM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Melissa, Artic fiber is just a brand name for knitting fibers. There are hundreds of types; some strands have squares on them and some are muti color and some look like bunka, others look like ric rac and some look like bakers twine. Thanks for the advice and I will post elsewhere Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #27  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Sorry for those of you who have had postal woes. I recently got a very mangled envelope from the US recently - some PO worker had even taken the time to hand-write the bar code on it, and tape it all up with packing tape. And the contents were also in surprisingly good condition!! It had been posted from a post office, too, judging by the franked stamp on the front. Goodness only knows what happened to it after that .

I also had a Christmas card delivered from Ireland - someone had no return address and hadn't put our house number. There was a label stuck over it saying non-deliverable - but our postman obviously saw the street address and name and correctly added them together to equal me .

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2015, 01:01 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts
Default Late-ish

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Who spent 3 hours making last minute cards last night for my DH and my SIL and BIL......at least I was not doing it on Christmas morning like I did last year:rolleyes:

I have a hard time making Christmas cards when I don't feel 'Christmasy'... but at least I got them done.

I also managed to make a Nativity Scene Luminary and I have another Snowflake one to assemble and I will be done.

Anyone else a last minute panic crafter? lol
Unfortunately, I am a procrastinator. I'm not done with the Christmas cards for in-laws, and sister & brother-in-law yet. And they live in England. The cards will be late. I always have a burst of after-holiday creative juices, I need to harness those and make things ahead for the next year!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #29  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Sorry for those of you who have had postal woes. I recently got a very mangled envelope from the US recently - some PO worker had even taken the time to hand-write the bar code on it, and tape it all up with packing tape. And the contents were also in surprisingly good condition!! It had been posted from a post office, too, judging by the franked stamp on the front. Goodness only knows what happened to it after that .

I also had a Christmas card delivered from Ireland - someone had no return address and hadn't put our house number. There was a label stuck over it saying non-deliverable - but our postman obviously saw the street address and name and correctly added them together to equal me .
That's a rather amazing tour story of a package from the USPS!

A friend in Austin, TX mailed (er ... uh ... attempted to mail) a Christmas card to me up here ... 5-ish hours North above the Dallas area. She received it herself last week .... returned because it did not have a zip code. Every other item on the addy was perfect. You just never know. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post

Every once in a while you'll get a good postal delivery person. Many years ago my dad sent me a card with only the street name and no house number. Someone wrote on the envelope "try 702?" That was correct!

But my best postal story is kinda funny. My hometown was so small, the postmaster knew everyone. My aunt sent a letter to me, but put her daughter's name on the envelope instead. My cousin and I share the same first name, but different last names. The address was correct. My birthday card ended up in the "Smith's" mailbox because it was one row up from my mailbox. Eventually I got it, but the Smith's opened my card first.
Reply With Quote Likes