Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am Sold

I have read a lot on SCS this morning on digi images. I will probably start buying some soon. Most of you great ladies have convinced me!

I am doing the switch because of the limited amount of space I have. We are living in our motor home and believe me, space is very limited ,although it is 41 feet long and has 4 tip outs! I have one complete section were our dining table and little hutch is crammed with craft supplies. After doing some after holiday cleaning and taking inventory of my stamps, I realized that I needed to do something different. Digital stamps are the answer. I will miss buying hand held stamps, but hope to enjoy this new art form.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, sites and opinions.:p

Happy New Year,
Bernadette
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Bernadette! I am so glad to hear that you are taking the leap into digi. I know you are going to love it!

Anita Be Stampin (my blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll love them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My only suggestion would be to get yourself a can of spray fixative. I love using digi stamps, but sometimes I'm too impatient to let the ink completely dry (it will smear if it isn't completely dry when you try colouring it). If I'm in a hurry, I give it a light coat of fixative and I'm ready to use my image in about 5 minutes. Otherwise, I print off a full page of images on white cardstock and let them dry at least over night. This way I always have a bunch of images on hand to colour and use. I usually don't colour my images ahead of time - that way I can colour the image to match my cardstock & patterned papers. By the way, if you have a good printer, you might also want to consider using some digital papers too - only print off what you need as many times as you want. I love digi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I just love digital stamps, and especially Mo's http://digitalpenciltoo.blogspot.com. She just has the cutest images. You can join her group at Craft Planet. She has freebies every so often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

I started using a couple all ready. I didn't know about them until about two weeks ago. They are very nice. I downloaded a couple free ones in the download forum. And I also bought 3.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 07:31 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Quote:

My only suggestion would be to get yourself a can of spray fixative.
I love using digi stamps, but sometimes I'm too impatient to let the ink completely dry (it will smear if it isn't completely dry when you try colouring it). If I'm in a hurry, I give it a light coat of fixative and I'm ready to use my image in about 5 minutes. Otherwise, I print off a full page of images on white cardstock and let them dry at least over night. This way I always have a bunch of images on hand to colour and use. I usually don't colour my images ahead of time - that way I can colour the image to match my cardstock & patterned papers. By the way, if you have a good printer, you might also want to consider using some digital papers too - only print off what you need as many times as you want. I love digi.
What brand do you use and where did you get it from? I have Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic coating. I only used it once and wasn't very happy with it - Maybe I am not using the right stuff...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Hummmm, I dont think I ever thought about having to let my ink dry. I have never had my ink smear. I THINK I have colored some soon after I printed them, but maybe I didnt. I will have to think about that the next time I am ready to print and color and see if I have problems
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 02:47 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fell in love with Mo's digital images this summer and never looked back! The cost is minimal, storage is no problem (Just make sure to back up your files somehow!), and ease of use is great! You can "mask" images, re-size them, flip them, omit parts, and some people have even found ways to emboss with them! I rarely use my rubber stamps now. I'll be keeping most of them, though, just in case...at least until I can get a comparable image in a digital format. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
What brand do you use and where did you get it from? I have Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic coating. I only used it once and wasn't very happy with it - Maybe I am not using the right stuff...
Right now I'm using Prismacolor fixative. I bought it at Michaels with a coupon. There are lots of different brands. Another popular one is Krylon brand. Any art supply store will have a fixative, so they're easy to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Question on this topic. Are digital stamps just a fancy way of saying clip art. Cause if that is the case, I have been doing this for years. I use my clip art the same way I would use a stamp--most of them time. I never could understand why people would pay big bucks for font stamps, when they could use their fonts. Just wondering. don't want to cause a fight with the stamping companies, cause I owe real stamps also.

Deanna
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama grokeView Post
Question on this topic. Are digital stamps just a fancy way of saying clip art. Cause if that is the case, I have been doing this for years. I use my clip art the same way I would use a stamp--most of them time. I never could understand why people would pay big bucks for font stamps, when they could use their fonts. Just wondering. don't want to cause a fight with the stamping companies, cause I owe real stamps also.

Deanna
I think most clip art is already colored in for you. With stamps and digital stamps you do the coloring which makes it more fun. Especially with all the different ways you can color with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
I just love digital stamps, and especially Mo's http://digitalpenciltoo.blogspot.com. She just has the cutest images. You can join her group at Craft Planet. She has freebies every so often.
A little OT... I went to this link. I know artists have to protect their work, but I find the watermark this artist is using to be VERY distracting. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
A little OT... I went to this link. I know artists have to protect their work, but I find the watermark this artist is using to be VERY distracting. :(
I think the first link was to her blog.... the watermarks at the "store" are easier on the eyes.... HERE http://digitalpenciltoo.com/

Congrats. Digi's are wonderful. (Well, stamps are wonderful too, but there's something great about the immediacy of digital). There's a bunch of other great digi companies....and many offer freebies to their PaperCraftPlanet Groups... check out these which I'm loving right now..... I have more listed in the sidebar on my blog if you're interested.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/michelleperkett
http://thestampingboutique.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/phindysplace
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by askagainView Post
I think the first link was to her blog.... the watermarks at the "store" are easier on the eyes.... HERE http://digitalpenciltoo.com/

Congrats. Digi's are wonderful. (Well, stamps are wonderful too, but there's something great about the immediacy of digital). There's a bunch of other great digi companies....and many offer freebies to their PaperCraftPlanet Groups... check out these which I'm loving right now..... I have more listed in the sidebar on my blog if you're interested.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/michelleperkett
http://thestampingboutique.com/
http://www.etsy.com/shop/phindysplace
Thanks for this information.

WOW! there sure are a lot of digi sites out there. I am going to have to wade through them in the next couple of days. I do like the idea of instant gratifaction. I just hope my printer does a decent job. I do belong to PaperCraftPlanet but have not done a search on there yet.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 AM   #16  
Inking Addict

Here's my question. I'm new to 'digital' stamping too and I got a free download from SU! and I can find them in my computer but I can't manipulate them at all. I feel digital stamp stupid AND computer stupid now!! Do you have to have photoshop? Do you click on an image and 'edit' it? I am used to inserting graphics in 'word' and you just click on the image and change it's size there. But it sounds like if you are able to block parts out and change colors or choose portions, there must be some other progam you use to be able to do that. And I'm sorry if this is really really basic. I just really didn't 'get' what digital stamps are. I also thought that was basically clip art....Now I am understanding how/why it is like stamping...but I need help!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 AM   #17  
Embossing Fanatic

How did you get that? That would be nice if they had digi stamps. I looked on the website and didn't see any digital stamps. I was wondering myself the other day if SU had digital stamps.

I don't know how to get digi stamps into a photo software application. I have kodak but don't know how to get them in that appl. They just go in to the windows photo gallery. I will have to play around with that. I too would like to edit them, they don't fit right on the page when I print them out. I like to print them out small, they go to close to the end of the page and it cuts a little off of the image.

Last edited by mindie75; 01-13-2010 at 06:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addicted To StampingView Post
Here's my question. I'm new to 'digital' stamping too and I got a free download from SU! and I can find them in my computer but I can't manipulate them at all. I feel digital stamp stupid AND computer stupid now!! Do you have to have photoshop? Do you click on an image and 'edit' it? I am used to inserting graphics in 'word' and you just click on the image and change it's size there. But it sounds like if you are able to block parts out and change colors or choose portions, there must be some other progam you use to be able to do that. And I'm sorry if this is really really basic. I just really didn't 'get' what digital stamps are. I also thought that was basically clip art....Now I am understanding how/why it is like stamping...but I need help!!
I found this link on one of the other threads of SCS http://www.gimp.org/ it was from the printing digital images: free digital downloads thread
I think I will try it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Gimp seems a little too complicated for me, I don't know what size to scale it down to, to make pictures for cards and to color them in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #20  
Inking Addict

Sorry I didn't get to reply sooner. Maybe it isn't exactly a digital stamp, it was a download with various things. Maybe it is more for scrapbooking. But since I don't have 'My Digital Studio' or any other digital stamps, I just didn't know how to use them. I can select 'print' but I can't alter it. It sounds like you and others have other programs - either photoshop or Kodak Windows Photo Gallery. Maybe I need to look into the computer aspect of it more and then I'll start to understand better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

That's OK. I can't seem to get my pictures in the kodak program though.
And, I would like to be able to move my picture around on the page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addicted To StampingView Post
It sounds like you and others have other programs - either photoshop or Kodak Windows Photo Gallery. Maybe I need to look into the computer aspect of it more and then I'll start to understand better.
I have kodak and windows photo gallery, thats what I meant, I just reread my post and it looked like I said kodak windows photo gallery, sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best thing to use for any image alteration is Microsoft Publisher.
Anything I see that I like, I copy and then paste it on Publisher. Then I size it, flip it over or what ever else I want to do with it. Save it in My documents or Pictures for next use. It's a program that I have been using for years and it's easy to work with.
I am thinking on going digi also.

good luck to all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

To print off my digis (and this has worked for all the company's I've used)...I open a new WORD document (in Word) and use insert photo/picture and choose the digi from my library of digi's...I can then resize to my hearts content. I do have Kodak AND Paint Shop Pro...but find both are unnecessary...HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftloverView Post
The best thing to use for any image alteration is Microsoft Publisher.
Anything I see that I like, I copy and then paste it on Publisher. Then I size it, flip it over or what ever else I want to do with it. Save it in My documents or Pictures for next use. It's a program that I have been using for years and it's easy to work with.
I am thinking on going digi also.

good luck to all
Wow, thank you so much that works perfect!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Thank you both for the tips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I'm loving the digi stamps, too! Thanks for the tips on the fixative!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

The digital paper is pretty awesome too, I got some freebies and it is nice. What does everyone else think about the digital paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindie75View Post
The digital paper is pretty awesome too, I got some freebies and it is nice. What does everyone else think about the digital paper?
I use digital paper all the time. I started out on this paper crafting thing as a result of digital scrapbooking, so I was quite familiar with digital papers. I actually designed digital scrapbook kits for a couple years. You might say I went backwards - from digital to paper. What I really like about digital paper is that once you find one you like, you never run out of it. I can also change the colours if I need to. I need to find a better printer tho. I have a Canon MP520 and its ok, but not as good as my Brother printer was as far as colour goes. But back to topic... I really like anything digi.
Reply With Quote Likes