Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #41  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisstreezView Post
Soon I'll be forced to simplify my whole crafting life. I've been living single for a long time and a lot of my spare time I've put into my card making craft. I recently got engaged and in a few months I'll be making a move out to the fiances farm.

It'll be a whole new lifestyle. I won't have a tenth of the time I have now to craft away. I'm not even sure if I can keep up with the blog either. Not even sure if I'll have reliable internet service. I'm naturally a crafty person so I'll find something to turn my hand to eventually. I have visions of me popping into my crafting table to whip up a card I need, when I need it. Yeah, I'm dreaming now. LOL

My first challenge after I pack up here, is learning how to live without somethings I take for granted. Like an indoor toilet. Power switches in every room. Screened windows and doors. Yes, it'll be a step back in time. Life will not be the same.

So I'll be taking the 20% I use with me, probable box about 40% and purge the other 40%. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the 40%.
Update - Well things haven't quite exactly turned out as planned, and I'll be living in my present situation for a good while longer yet. So my goal is to simplify right where I am right now. In the lead up to Christmas I purged a lot of paper, and I've got three boxes of supplies to either give away or take to the next craft garage sale.

Simplifying will also mean creating a bit more order around my home. This last week I've purchase a couple of cheap items of secondhand furniture and I'm giving them a shabby make over. One chest of drawers is the perfect dimensions for my small, and getting smaller, 12x12 paper collection.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 AM   #42  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
All the adhesive that didn't work for me is out. Most of the glitter went to the Good will along with ribbon and a couple of punches that were not what I expected.
I sorted all the ribbon and only kept what I have paper to match. I am not keeping a spool of ribbon that has no matching paper.
I got rid of all of the plastic packaging from the embossing folders and now the box has space to spare.
Some how I had "3" bone folders I donated two of them. I am gradually weeding out the stuff that is not used or needed.

Now I have 3 empty drawers in my cart.
Which Goodwill did you donate it too? I love glitter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Update - Well things haven't quite exactly turned out as planned, and I'll be living in my present situation for a good while longer yet. So my goal is to simplify right where I am right now. In the lead up to Christmas I purged a lot of paper, and I've got three boxes of supplies to either give away or take to the next craft garage sale.

Simplifying will also mean creating a bit more order around my home. This last week I've purchase a couple of cheap items of secondhand furniture and I'm giving them a shabby make over. One chest of drawers is the perfect dimensions for my small, and getting smaller, 12x12 paper collection.
Sorry to hear things haven't worked out as planned :(

I'm also creating things for my home using second hand items. On holidays or the day after if they are closed, all the Goodwill stores in my area have half off of everything (except the few new goods they sell)! I found a great wood dresser with 5 drawers on one half/cabinet on the other side. Inside the cabinet there is a pull out hanger type thing that I will use to hang embellishment, ribbons...I dont know just yet haven't decided. I got if for $7.50!! I stained it (to match the woodwork in my apt) and now hope to change the knobs this weekend. I'm super excited and cant wait to use it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is a great idea! I pared down my "collection" of supplies a couple years ago and love the challenge of keeping things in a smaller amount of space. It makes me use things more and appreciate what I have more.

But, my "collection" is growing again. I could definitely use motivation to pare down again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #45  
Hardware Hotshot

2 years ago I was in love with MS punches. I bought two sets of Punch Around the Page and several edge punches and I made cards with them. When I got my third set of Punch Around the Page I realize no one I gave the cards to even noticed it was a new punch set LOL
We see the difference , but in all honestly they all sort of look alike on a card .

Now I think that is true of many dies too. One Cherry Lynn doily looks about the same as all the other doilies when it is on a card
The only difference in most flourish die cuts is the size when it is on a card.

Now I only buy unique dies.
I use very little DP but I'll bet this is true of DP too. It is just the color that matters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #46  
Mad Swapper

I have enjoyed reading through this thread and I don't feel alone now. I started going through my supplies a few days ago and I have gotten rid of a lot of designer paper and all of my SU cardstock that I haven't used since I found PTI cardstock. I will be going through my ribbon and embelishments next. I have tons of punches that I don't use since I got my Big Shot and nesties/dies. I also have many stamps that have not seen ink since I indexed them when I first bought them so those will be going as well. I was able to give all of my SU ink pads and ink refills to a friend who is a new SU demo and I told her what she doesn't want to give it to a home that will us them. It feels good to get rid of all that stuff and I don't even have the need or desire to replace it with other stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 04:33 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Sounds like you're making the best of an unexpected situation, and making some pretty storage pieces in the process!

Does the change in plans mean you still get to have indoor plumbing?? I must admit, I shuddered when I read that in your earlier posting--clearly, I do not have what it takes to rough it!!

Good luck with all of your organization projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:07 PM   #48  
Glitter Queen

I don't think i will be getting rid of any of my stash anything i dont want to use i just put aside for my little girls to use or if its paper i craft punch them. Mind you i have 2 containers of mixed punch cut outs in which i am sorting out at the moment into little containers and glass spice jar i picked up from golo.
I would like to get a folder so i can put all my papers in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 06:06 PM   #49  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapmomoftwinsView Post
Sounds like you're making the best of an unexpected situation, and making some pretty storage pieces in the process!

Does the change in plans mean you still get to have indoor plumbing?? I must admit, I shuddered when I read that in your earlier posting--clearly, I do not have what it takes to rough it!!

Good luck with all of your organization projects!
I going to stay in my own home which has modern indoor plumbing, lol. You made me laugh. 'Roughing it' is very much a part of my life I guess, and indoor plumbing is not always available, so I was more okay with the no plumbing part and less okay with the obstacle course to get there, lol

I just finished making over my chest of drawers. I was having so much fun with the shabby distressed look, that I went ahead and added some stencilling as well. Now to get it inside and make my room beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty ChelleView Post
Sorry to hear things haven't worked out as planned :(

I'm also creating things for my home using second hand items. On holidays or the day after if they are closed, all the Goodwill stores in my area have half off of everything (except the few new goods they sell)! I found a great wood dresser with 5 drawers on one half/cabinet on the other side. Inside the cabinet there is a pull out hanger type thing that I will use to hang embellishment, ribbons...I dont know just yet haven't decided. I got if for $7.50!! I stained it (to match the woodwork in my apt) and now hope to change the knobs this weekend. I'm super excited and cant wait to use it!
Wowzers - what a GREAT buy. I wish I'd know about that. I could use a couple of storage/organization items and I'm not afraid of used/repurposed items. I may go check them out anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #51  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I did simplify my room a lot more after this thread was started. Now my room and supplies are fit for the artist/crafter I have become. I did not hang on to things "just in case". I gave things away for those who are just starting out. I love my room now. My craft room is elegant, frugal & artsy. I don't feel like I am in a trendy Michae's store any more, lol. I did love my Michael's trend store when I was into it. After I outgrew it my room made me tired.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #52  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I did simplify my room a lot more after this thread was started. Now my room and supplies are fit for the artist/crafter I have become. I did not hang on to things "just in case". I gave things away for those who are just starting out. I love my room now. My craft room is elegant, frugal & artsy. I don't feel like I am in a trendy Michae's store any more, lol. I did love my Michael's trend store when I was into it. After I outgrew it my room made me tired.
Yay for you! You sound happy now that you have let go. More power to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I just found this thread by searching "downsizing" and you ladies have given the confidence I need. It is okay to part with craft items and it's okay to break up stamp sets (keeping just what you want) and I no longer feel the need to keep so much stuff "just in case."
My mom was born near the end of the depression and I was brought up to take care of what you have, use it up and save usable things because you might need them!
I have fought the hoarding instincts my entire adult life! No, my house does not look like "Hoarders." I came to realize a long time ago that accumulating stuff can suffocate you. the more you have-the more time it takes to maintain it, organize it and clean it. I clean, purge, downsize, re-organize and whatever else you may call it at least once a year. However, my craft area is my hardest area to downsize.
I am really sorting thru stuff and the paper, stamps, and embellishments that I don't just LOVE! will be finding a new home!
Thank you, Ladies! I look forward to more encouragement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Arlene, lots of encouragement wishes from me.

I do understand about the Depression age parents. I am a Generation X'er raised by end of the era Depression age parents. My Father was born the year the market crashed. My parents lived by those mottoes too. My Mom, sadly, is a clinical hoarder. I get a little postal about hoarding. I live like a minimalist but my art supplies are my love. I work with a lot of different mediums besides paper crafting so I have a lot of art supplies. My DH is an artist too.

It's all about finding a good balance when your trying to downsize. I started downsizing and thought what the heck am I doing? I downsized a little too much and gave away things that were my personality. I found a good balance now. My art room is really beautiful. It's DH & my favorite room. We really love it. When I go in that room now I can actually say even though it might be a lot of items to some people that my room really doesn't have a lot but it's full of everything that I love.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
Although I think it would be very liberating, the thought of getting rid of 80% of my stash just scares the pants off me! LOL!
That's what I was thinking, exactly!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 08:21 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

I wasn't sure I would be able to pull it off, but I have downsized my stash and I feel so much better about it. I'm in the process of losing my scrapbook room and moving into a shared space with the hubby and I needed to downsize. Now that it's almost complete, I realize just how much stuff I didn't really need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #57  
Gallery Gazer

I have dragged my considerable stamp supplies to SEVEN houses! We are moving again this summer, and I will NOT drag all of this stuff with me again! I just priced 75 SU! sets at 50% off for my yard sale on the 21st. The rest will go into my Etsy shop. I've already sold all my SU! inks and markers in my shop. Another thing I won't be moving is 12 years worth of magazines and idea books. I will only keep mags with my published work in them.

I don't think I will get rid of much else. Even though I am an A Muse Studio consultant, I still use my stash for my Etsy shop. I am limiting myself to a|s purchases, which helps my business and my spending habits.
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Yes, I am just trying to find a good balance and keep what I really love. Most all my tools I will keep and I use. My Cricut Expression does not get much use, but I don't have the heart to tell DH that! He tried to buy me one for 2 years and I declined thinking it was a lot of money and I just didn't think I would get that much use. I think that if I can seriously get back to scrapbooking it would be a great asset, but right now cards are my thing and scrapping is on hiatus!

I seriously cleaned out a lot of paper yesterday (still have lots, but it's only what I really love)! I really like the 6x6 paper pads - I rarely use an entire 12x12 sheet on cards unless I am making Christmas cards or something in a big lot.

My needlepoint, sewing and counted cross stitch supplies have all been downsized as I have not done much of those crafts in the last few years. I am looking forward to having a clean craft room!

Note: I think my big push to downsize is due to the fact that my brothers and I will be meeting this summer to clean out my mother's house. She has Alzheimers and is not able to live alone (and hasn't been there for the past year). I know I will be bringing some of her things home and will have to weed thru it, She was always sewing or doing some sort of craft so there is lots of stuff to be dealt with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #59  
CSC
Compulsive Stamper

To Misstreez: Just went to your blog through this forum for the first time and your work is fabulous. Is your blog and the things on it now going to still be there or are you taking it down when you move. I really enjoyed visiting it today. Congratulations on your marriage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

I am going to prune the paper punches.
I dumped a TON of stuff a few years ago and actually regretted getting rid of the punches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #61  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSCView Post
To Misstreez: Just went to your blog through this forum for the first time and your work is fabulous. Is your blog and the things on it now going to still be there or are you taking it down when you move. I really enjoyed visiting it today. Congratulations on your marriage.
Thank you CSC for your very nice comments. I did recieve you email too. Oh and I haven't quite got to the marriage part yet. It's a work in progress.

I'd forgotten about this thread so I was glad to come back here for a revisit. Six months ago I finally made the move out to the farm and in the process I purged a lot of stuff. I donated several boxes of supplies and several shoe boxes full of ready made cards. I made way more cards than I could possibly use. The recipients were beyond delighted which just multiplied the joy of the giving.

I'll never be totally organized, it's just not in my nature, but I can find what I want so much more easily. And just as importantly I can put it away easily since there is space for it to go. I have left some shelves empty, about 6' in total. I'm not in a hurry to fill them but if I decide I want to expand on what I have I've got room to move. For example I'm concidering adding clear stamps to my collection, but first I'll want to have a storage solution for them that fits in with my current solution for my rubber. I'd also like to get some of the new Tim Holtz paints but I'll only get them if I have a solution that fits in with all my other Ranger products.

I store all my DSP according to brands and collections. And since I greatly reduced the amount of paper I have, I now know what I have. I know I purged some very pretty papers that didn't fit in with my 'branded' categories but 6 months on I couldn't really tell you what they were. And I have given myself a rule to not buy any new paper colection until I have exhausted one I already own.

Since I simplified my stamping supplies and storage I have found I'm even more creative than ever. If I don't have something I'll make do or better yet, improvise.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoffeeKatView Post
Perhaps you could do something I saw on a video. They put a sticker on everything then took the sticker off when it got used. If it has a sticker on at the end of the time period, it went.

Perhaps this could be done in reverse. Mark things you use and remove the rest.

As for simplifying, I have gotten rid of a lot of stuff over the last 12 months but just seem to refil the spaces. I give up - for now.
Purging then restocking with new.... this is my problem! I think I will be doing another purge.....maybe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #63  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
Simplify, I would love to simplify as long as I don't have to get rid of anything. I would rather not purchase anything new for a while, yea like that is going to happen too.
I find I am using supplies that I bought years ago. Now if I only stamped and made cards then yes I could get rid of some stamp sets that are packed in a box in the closet and have been for a few years. First I need to get all my quilting supplies out of the attic and get rid of it!
What a hoot seeing this thread again!! Then reading what I had written back then! Well........

I have done very little purging! I have recently finished three quite tops and have taken them to be quilted and are now waiting for me to put the binding on. Two more quilt tops are in the process of being completed. I just put more fabric in the attic to clear out dressers in the guest bedroom, but I have not purchased any for quilting in 5 or more years.

I have gotten back into doing more scrap pages than cards (for 2013) and purchased only 1 stamp in 2012, the rest are given to me. I have gotten rid of all but a handful of old stamping magazines. I have purged a pile of papers to give to my DIL but find I am using some of those papers while scrapping, probably because they are sitting out where I can see their potential use. My purchasing of supplies has drastically been reduced, more from the fact that I don't find anything that appeals to me than from discipline on my part.

What is growing is my collection of scrapbook albums and my commitment to finishing all those UFO's before I get too old to care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

I am still working on this too and have to do more . Next I need to weed out the background stamps, punches and bottled adhesives.

I find that when I get a new die or stamp I use it a lot. Then I get another new die or stamp and the previous one just sits in the box. That is how I am deciding what to get rid of. Except for sentiments I am trying to eliminate the stamps or dies that I have lost interest in using .
Plus I only make cards for my family and close friends so I can't keep using the same stamp or die on everyone's cards.

I bought supplies for a few techniques and found I didn't really like them.
So the supplies were given away.
Glitter looks nice but it is too messy for me . After I got my Copics and Distress inks I didn't use my water base markers. So I got rid of those things
I don't have space to store things I have lost interest in using
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I got rid of my entire 10 year stash last year, keeping only my silhouette, copics and colored pencils. OY!

Now I am restocking, but in a completely different way. I intend to hold onto no more than 10 stamp sets at a time, using them until I have exhausted my interest. If I want another set, I will sell a set to make room. To start with, I've ordered 3 stamp sets -- a Christmas, a sentiment and a floral and intend to use just those 3 for a couple of months.

This is such a LARGE hobby, requiring multiple supplies to make one simple card, so I will also keep a low inventory of paper. I just don't need 50 sheets of every color under the sun at all times.

I am finding this liberating. Once we move next week and unpack etc I am looking forward to making things again and, with so few choices, I'll have to rely on my brains on not my stash!

Last edited by Joan B; 01-26-2013 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #66  

Joan, I've been reading your White Spaces blog ( and your other one before that) for a while. You've taken us on a journey of organizing your volume of supplies to the sever (and at times difficult) decision to pare down. I can't wait to see what you do with your new minimalist approach. I think it can be doable and I think someone needs to show how it can be done. But I must point out I doubt I'd ever get down to ten sets, or even want to.

Since I've reduced and simplified my stamping and supply inventory I do find I'm less inclined to buy more of something (stamp images, paper) just because it looks good. I don't need to go thru the tossing process again. That was just too much work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for your note. This has been an eye opening experience because I LOVE to shop and acquire things. especially stamping things. we move into the new place this week and I was just over there looking at my new room. I am grateful to have a space dedicated to me, but it is not big and has to house other things besides crafty.

I am hoping to discover that it is possible to stamp small and enjoy it even more. We will see!!

By the way, regardless of what direction you take, getting rid of things you aren't using is 100% positive. It is so liberating to no longer have shelf after shelf of items that I wasn't going to use. I am happy that someone else is enjoying them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 AM   #68  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Since I simplified my stamping supplies and storage I have found I'm even more creative than ever. If I don't have something I'll make do or better yet, improvise.
I love to improvise. That is my favorite thing about this hobby is trying to find alternate ways of creating something.

I am so happy to see this thread revived. I was making a joke on a different thread when I started getting into paper crafting I had a RubberMaid box to fit my supplies but now I have an art studio, lol.

I have my studio at such a great balance right now. I love my little studio I share with my DH. I do a variety of crafts. Each of those areas are nicely balanced, frugal & a lot of make your own supplies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #69  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I have been home on medical leave for three weeks, recovering from surgery. Had some time for some light re organizing. And when friends drop by, I proudly show them the Valentine party favors I am making for my grandson's parties. Cutting paper towel rolls into five inch sections, stuffing with candy, then covering with red tissue paper (75% off after Christmas), tie off ends with white tulle (given to me free after a wedding), then embellished with scraps of cardstock,punches, stickers. One friend commented " I bet your 401k retirement fund looks a lot better then mine".

I can only hope it does. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #70  
Crimping Master

No, I won't be joining you. Every time I decide I don't NEED something, I find sometime down the road I DO need it and end up buying another. In my LONG crafting experience, I have discovered that what is old has become new again. I love the NEW and keep adding to my STASH as decided. There isn't a spray I can do without LOL. My biggest fear is not having an appreciative someone to leave all this to. I don't apologize, I love all of my crafy goodness. I have the space and funds to enjoy it. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I feel better now

BLOG : The Papercraft Place

You Tube: kelley3684
Guest Designer for "Midnight Madness"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #71  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet43View Post
No, I won't be joining you. Every time I decide I don't NEED something, I find sometime down the road I DO need it and end up buying another. In my LONG crafting experience, I have discovered that what is old has become new again. I love the NEW and keep adding to my STASH as decided. There isn't a spray I can do without LOL. My biggest fear is not having an appreciative someone to leave all this to. I don't apologize, I love all of my crafy goodness. I have the space and funds to enjoy it. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I feel better now
I really have done that! I have been purging stamps as I go along. Those grow so much that I don't even know what I have. I really did buy and sell the same stamp set 3 times! Sold it- changed my mind- over and over. So I'm very careful about what I don't keep. As soon as I give it away or sell I find myself looking for it. I did quit spending so carelessly and for that one stamp for one person I often resort to digi's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

One of the bad habits I am struggling to break is if I love using a product or tool I have a compulsive need to buy a spare. :(

I don't know if I think we will be going back to the stone age and I will never be able to buy anything again if I lose it or wear it out .

When I am tempted to buy a spare I have to keep reminding myself that even if a product is discontinued some one will have one on e-Bay or an Etsy shop .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

One of the bad habits I am struggling to break is if I love using a product or tool I have a compulsive need to buy a spare. :(

I don't know if I think we will be going back to the stone age and I will never be able to buy anything again if I lose it or wear it out .

When I am tempted to buy a spare I have to keep reminding myself that even if a product is discontinued some one will have one on e-Bay or an Etsy shop .
I always bought spares of things I loved. Nine times out of ten I didn't need the spare. Thank gosh I always could give my spares to somebody. I remind myself too that Ebay you will always find a replacement.

Now, I only buy spares of things I know are needed like coffee carafes. My DH breaks the carafe all the time. I don't find this emergency when it breaks but he does. I don't drink coffee, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

For me having a spare is not just a crafts stuff issue. The top shelf of my closet is filled with spares. Spare coffee pot, hair dryer, light bulbs, radio clock, batteries, etc -etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

For me having a spare is not just a crafts stuff issue. The top shelf of my closet is filled with spares. Spare coffee pot, hair dryer, light bulbs, radio clock, batteries, etc -etc
I keep a spare clock, batteries, light bulbs, aquariums, etc... I have always needed a spare of those things. Usually when I need a spare it's three in the morning. I am glad to have it.

I read this really good frugal article one time that you should keep spares of your most used items. If you find a good deal on a coffee pot pick up an extra when your other breaks you won't have an added expense for the week. Made me feel better about buying a spare.

I am not going to buy a spare for a toaster since I can always find a replacement cheaper or a new model that might be better. I will stock up on aquariums.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #76  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

oh I hear you, completely! I've been through a major slump in the past year. I haven't stamped in over a year, haven't touched those craft supplies. My mother passed away last September after a battle with cancer, then we moved across the country in November, and now we're moving again from the rental into our own home. Ai yi yi ... too much happening in too short a time span. In between mum passing away and moving, I had a massive garage sale where I cleared out all of my extra supplies from being an SU demo (no longer am a demo), all my extra tables, inks, etc. Also purged my personal supplies to ones I actually like and would possibly use - mainly limited to Christmas with a few other sets. Also, only kept unmounted (wood made sense as a demo, not for personal use). Before being dropped as a demo, I did purchase a few things but it feels like a stupid move since I have no plans to use it ... may have to have a garage sale in the spring to clear out a few more things once I actually unpack the boxes! Right now, I've learned how to knit and I cross stitch. What is it with crafting? Why do we branch out into so many different areas of crafting? Or is it just me? I like to sew, crochet, knit, bead, stamp, digi scrapbook, make home stuff ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 PM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I think we branch out into different areas of crafting because we are creative and there are so many different ways to be creative. I'm a senior citizen and probably have done almost every type of craft known - starting as a teen I made all my clothes and continued sewing until my daughter turned into a teen and only wanted jeans - I still made all her prom dress. I used to knit, did antiquing of fruit baskets, made Christmas ornaments - dough-art, beaded, glass, stuffed, etc. I did ceramics. I still made about 15 counted cross stitch ornaments yearly for family and friends. I've made 7 heritage scrapbooks over the last few years. I make beaded earrings and necklaces. And I stamp and make cards. All of these crafts help me relax and for me, that helps with my arthritis pain.

For you, so much happened in such a short time that you got burned out. Just go with whatever craft interests you now and enjoy doing that craft. Maybe your interest in card making will return and you'll get over your slump. If not, find something else that interests you and try that. Good luck. Diane

Last edited by DianeinSparks; 02-04-2013 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by prchvsView Post
oh I hear you, completely! I've been through a major slump in the past year. I haven't stamped in over a year, haven't touched those craft supplies. My mother passed away last September after a battle with cancer, then we moved across the country in November, and now we're moving again from the rental into our own home. Ai yi yi ... too much happening in too short a time span. In between mum passing away and moving, I had a massive garage sale where I cleared out all of my extra supplies from being an SU demo (no longer am a demo), all my extra tables, inks, etc. Also purged my personal supplies to ones I actually like and would possibly use - mainly limited to Christmas with a few other sets. Also, only kept unmounted (wood made sense as a demo, not for personal use). Before being dropped as a demo, I did purchase a few things but it feels like a stupid move since I have no plans to use it ... may have to have a garage sale in the spring to clear out a few more things once I actually unpack the boxes! Right now, I've learned how to knit and I cross stitch. What is it with crafting? Why do we branch out into so many different areas of crafting? Or is it just me? I like to sew, crochet, knit, bead, stamp, digi scrapbook, make home stuff ...
Hugs to you. I am so sorry about your Mom.

I do so many different crafting things. I loom knit, sew, cross-stitch, make my own beauty products, candles, jewelry, polymer clay, resin, draw, paint, alter items, etc... I also garden, study music, write, & obsessed with decorating. I am the most happiest when I am reading and making things.

Reply With Quote Likes