Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to restart stamping???

Hello
I need advice on how to restart stamping.
I bought SU Silent Night on ebay and started looking for 2 other Christmas sets and got overwhelmed again.
I started stamping in 2004 and a had tons of stamps and supplies. I use to donate many many cards I made to different charities/organizations.
Last year, my father got liver cancer. We lived up near the Canadian border in WIsconsin. My dad was in the South.
My step-brother was living with him and taking care of him through his treatments but we needed to move in a hurry.
I ended up having to sell everything I had for stamping. We moved down in an RV and no room to take anything extra. The only thing I currently have left is my small paper cutter and a PTI stamp set to make recipe cards and 1 inkpad. THAT IS IT.
Now we are resettled and I want to start again.
I remember everything I had to make card layouts I like and get so overwhelmed with everything I need.
So I thought I would start again with Christmas cards. But even looking for cardstock and supplies it is WOW! I do not know where to begin.
I can only buy a small amount at a time as I can only work part-time when my son or husband are home to be with my dad.
Any advice????
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome back to the world of stamping!

I would start by designing a card using your new Silent Night set. If you need some ideas, check out the gallery here.

Once you have a design, make a shopping list. You might need some card stock for bases. You could buy premade card bases with envelopes to start. Then there's no need for a scoring tool. Will your design need a layering color or an ink like gold? You'll need adhesive for sure. Any embellishments on your design? Or maybe just keep it simple to start and go without any embellishments.

Look at this pretty card - Silent NIght by kariepowell - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
It was made with black and white card stock, black ink and stickles. You don't need a lot of supplies to make nice cards.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Work on one project/card layout at a time.

Go to the SCS gallery and search for the stamp set you wish to use.

Pick out two or three layouts. Picking out multiple layouts helps in deciding on making a card. If you pick out just one layout and it does not work for you, you may get upset and overwhelmed.

Pick the colors and or inks you prefer to use.

If you like to order from SU, find a demo. I think it is better to order through a demo than directly off the website.

GinaK has nice papers and inks too.

I would not go all willy nelly ordering extras until you have a particular project in mind, like you said, you don't want to get overwhelmed.

Take a deep breath, relax and make your first card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2016, 05:13 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi, welcome to SCS and glad you are back. It is a fun hobby! I am sorry about your dad and send hopes he improves.

Tell us what your favorite technique is. It is good to come back in by doing that you love/know best imho. How many Christmas cards are you looking to make? I am thinking maybe a CAS version will be the way to go if you dont hate that for a first multi card run depending on your answer. It's only June, not Dec 15th. We have time.

Once we know what you like to do, we can talk about how to get there. You were collecting for 11 years and you made a lot of cards. It didnt happen overnight. You will get there and it WONT be another 11 years. You are much wiser now. You wont make the same newbie mistakes.

BREATHE. You are with card peeps now. We got you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 04:24 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Welcome back, and I sent you a PM (click the little envelope waaaay up in the upper right-hand corner)!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 04:42 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tina, A great place to get product at a reasonable price is on the buy/sell forum here. Ink pads, ribbon and older stamp sets are usually priced low and reasonable. You can see what the SU stamps look like by checking out the stamp set in the gallery....there is usually an index card that shows all the pieces.

Let me know what ink colors you get and I'll see if I have extra ribbon, brads etc. in that color. Welcome back to the wonderful, colorful world of stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Welcome back, and I sent you a PM (click the little envelope waaaay up in the upper right-hand corner)!
Thank you so much! I sent you a PM reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 05:10 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome back! The best idea I have is to look at the buy and sell forum here. There are people selling ALL their supplies affordably and you could get a lot for your money! Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 10:03 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Welcome back! Saying a prayer for your dad and all of you as you go through this difficult time.

I, too, took a long break from stamping due to some unexpected and serious health issues. I didn't have to get rid of my supplies but they sat for a very long time untouched and unused.

Getting started again, without feeling overwhelmed, was difficult. I agree with those who've said that starting with one small project and acquiring the items to complete that project will keep costs and sensory overload at bay.

Most of us need lots of Christmas cards, but perhaps you could start with some birthday cards for upcoming dates. The very first stamp set I ever got was "Nice and Easy Notes" from SU!. It had greetings with cute little images for a number of different occasions.

Small 6X6 paper pads are also great for card making. You don't end up with tons of scraps and they are so easy to store. Most come with solid sheets as part of the pack so you could just get a nice neutral for card bases.

And, of course, SCS is always a great resource. Everyone here is so willing to offer help and encouragement.

Good luck and please share your first card!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

Welcome back
here is a direct link to the gallery with your set (so you can get ideas from how other people used that same set)
Stampin Up! Gallery: Silent Night - Page 1 - Cards & More - Splitcoaststampers

I think with as far as a where to start thing, I think I would do that look around online and day dream about using those stamps. I think one of the things a lot of people do when they are new is heat embossing so, somewhere in your list of someday products maybe a versamark pad, some embossing powder and a heat tool. ( this may be cheaper than investing in tons of ink coloring options) because, a lot of things that are heat embossed that makes them elegant enough to stand on their own without coloring.

just a random thought,

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a pile of Such stamp sets that would love to come live with you. I probably have enough stuff to fill up your room for you.

If you will pm your address I will get a box out to you ASAP.
Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 02:30 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Hi Tina I'm Tina lol and going thru the same situation as you. When I left stamping to move 4 years ago I had a huge studio now I have to rebuild and get the juices flowing again. Like someone else said the buy sell ISO forum is a great resource. If I only want to make a couple of cards and only need a few sheets of cardstock until i find out if i like it or not I will post in the ISO forum and generally have no prob buying just a few sheets from someone. Also on ebay you can find card sets for SU that have cardstock DSP and ribbon that go together so that you dont have to store it all and then find out you don't like the color or whatnot to begin with. The sets are usually around $6. Also demos have stamp nights around here so thats a great way to get juices flowing.
I also made myself some rules
*dont buy a set if you only like one or two of the stamps.
*figure out at least three projects or cards you want to use the set for before buying
*find other stampers in your area thru meetup or a stamp club and borrow sets before buying when possible (these are also good resources for cardstock )
*check out craigslist in my area there are loads of SU yard sales. I scored some great stuff and brought home a full bag for under $20

hope this is of some use! Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 02:32 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Oh and PM me your address I have some extra cardstock that you may find fun to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:36 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I have a pile of Such stamp sets that would love to come live with you. I probably have enough stuff to fill up your room for you.

If you will pm your address I will get a box out to you ASAP.
Amber
THank you so much Amber! I sent you a PM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 05:41 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

THANK YOU to everyone for all of your advice and offers. I had tears of appreciation.
I rarely get out of the house during the week and stamping will be a wonderful thing for me to do again. Blessings to you all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 06:02 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awe that is why I love it here! The people are the finest and kindest anywhere! Amber, and so many other generous lovely ladies, you always inspire me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 06:20 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi--One thing to think about, as you begin collecting stamps, what is your preferred stamp? Is it wood mount or clear mount, rubber, photopolymer or some combination? Or maybe you are flexible and like all! As you know, this impacts how you will store stamps.

I am a wood mount only kind of girl. Some companies are moving away from that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2016, 07:08 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean County StamperView Post
Hi--One thing to think about, as you begin collecting stamps, what is your preferred stamp? Is it wood mount or clear mount, rubber, photopolymer or some combination? Or maybe you are flexible and like all! As you know, this impacts how you will store stamps.

I am a wood mount only kind of girl. Some companies are moving away from that.
I had wood mounts, unmounted bare rubber, foam mounted and clear stamps. It does not matter to me as long as they stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2016, 06:24 AM   #19  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinGalzView Post
Oh and PM me your address I have some extra cardstock that you may find fun to use.
Thank you! I sent you a pm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just sent you a pm. Have some stamps and things I can send your way to help you get started again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tina the box weighs 20 lbs! Probably more than 20 SU stamp sets, lots of embellishments, brads and prima pearls and 6x6 paper pads. Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #22  
Inking Addict

Thank you all for being my Angels!
I cannot thank you all enough. I feel so truly blessed and I am so grateful for all of your generosity to help get me stamping again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 03:29 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

I, too, have been in your situation. My dad (he lived in NJ and I live in Colorafo) was in hospice for over 6 months and then finally passed Ja. 2016. I am grieving so much. I stopped making cards. Now, maybe I can start slowly. You are truly an inspiration.

I have lots of "stuff". Just let me know what you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 04:42 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

These seem like old threads, so I don't know if this is a current issue to discuss! But I, too, had to leave SU! while I had 2 serious foot operations in 2012-2013. My big mistake in coming back was choosing an Upline whose business was floundering and didn't really care about SU! that much--she had another full time job. So I quit again, and came back last November. This time I researched Demonstrators looking for a group that was active and an Upline who was successful enough to be a Cruise Achiever. I chose Janet Wakeland of Remarkable Stampers and couldn't be happier. She has really mentored me and posts several times a day on email or her website. She shipped me a bunch of supplies for my "first" customer event for free, and my event was so much better for having all the samples on hand.

Now I have a broken right knee (clumsy fall at my house) and won't be driving again until mid to late July. But I have found that one on one events at my house work great; people enjoy the individual attention I can give them. I held a sale to get rid of as many of my old supplies as I could and so far have made over $200 cash on it. I just joined DBWS to try to reach more people from my desk instead of going out to see them. I am currently on track to reach Silver status soon; I need to get a recruit! But with the new promotion, recruiting has become easier because I really feel like I have something great to offer!

I just keep pecking along, enjoying every stamp set or other SU! product that I invest in and spreading the word about how much fun SU! is and how much it has to offer! I have gained several new clients who I really enjoy stamping with, and they come to my house for any variety of things I am offering--like a new Paper Pumpkin club, since now I am up to 6 PP clients...

Good luck and feel free to contact me with any questions, I am here to help. I live in the Chicago area if you want a "live" visit and am somewhat close to both airports--Midway is just 1/2 hour away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I, too, have gotten out of stamping for almost 2 yrs and am just beginning to want to start again. As others have suggested, look at the gallery here on SCS to see samples of cards using that sat. That's what I've done and have made several b'day cards that way. Just go slow and easy and smell the roses once in awhile.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat in OhioView Post
Welcome back to the world of stamping!

I would start by designing a card using your new Silent Night set. If you need some ideas, check out the gallery here.

Once you have a design, make a shopping list. You might need some card stock for bases. You could buy premade card bases with envelopes to start. Then there's no need for a scoring tool. Will your design need a layering color or an ink like gold? You'll need adhesive for sure. Any embellishments on your design? Or maybe just keep it simple to start and go without any embellishments.

Look at this pretty card - Silent NIght by kariepowell - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
It was made with black and white card stock, black ink and stickles. You don't need a lot of supplies to make nice cards.

HTH
Beautiful card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Tina,

Welcome back to stamping! I have a handful of items I'd be happy to send you. Glitters, Embossing Powders, Rhinestones, Ribbons, Embellishments, 6x6 paper pads, etc. Just PM your address and I'll put together a package for you. I love knowing they will make someone else happy too! - Catherine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Tina,

I just ordered you a handful of Stampin Up sets from another crafter here on SCS. They are going to ship directly to you from her. I am sending you the goodies I mentioned above, I just wanted you to know some stamps are coming your way too - Catherine
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tina tracking shows your box should be there tomorrow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2016, 05:32 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
Hi Tina,

I just ordered you a handful of Stampin Up sets from another crafter here on SCS. They are going to ship directly to you from her. I am sending you the goodies I mentioned above, I just wanted you to know some stamps are coming your way too - Catherine
THank you so much! I so greatly appreciate it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2016, 05:34 AM   #31  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Tina tracking shows your box should be there tomorrow!
I am so excited and in-patiently waiting for the mailman! LOl
THANK YOU so much!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Made any cards yet Tina?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2016, 05:43 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

I remember the days when I started well and it was hard to know what to choose! I think if I had to start over I'd be overwhelmed too! I've always stayed mainly with SU because it's still overwhelming to start looking at all the options.

My advise is to focus on one company to make it easier. Adhesive, paper, a few stamp sets, a big shot, embossing folders, and ink is what I'd start with.

Sounds like some great supplies are coming your way! How nice of everyone!

Oh yes, I'd say go to some stamp a stacks or card classes! I go to two or three different demos' classes and after all this time its still my favorite thing to do!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 06-22-2016 at 05:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 06:48 PM   #34  
Inking Addict

Sorry I have been MIA. I ended up with a very bad respiratory infection and it really took me down. My husband took a few days off of work to take care of me and it was a blessing. I am feeling much better now. I have started to play with my stuff I received. It has been a blessing to me.
I have 7 cards made so far and I will load them into a gallery tomorrow morning.
I have found that I love the stamp sets I received and instantly have ideas.
The embellishments I received are so so pretty and really add those final touches!
Thank you all again for being my angels and helping me get back into stamping. I realized it was such a big part of me and missed it so much more than I ever thought I would.

Last edited by TinaMarie1; 07-01-2016 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinaMarie1View Post
Sorry I have been MIA. I ended up with a very bad respiratory infection and it really took me down. My husband took a few days off of work to take care of me and it was a blessing. I am feeling much better now. I have started to play with my stuff I received. It has been a blessing to me.
I have 7 cards made so far and I will load them into a gallery tomorrow morning.
I have found that I love the stamp sets I received and instantly have ideas.
The embellishments I received are so so pretty and really add those final touches!
Thank you all again for being my angels and helping me get back into stamping. I realized it was such a big part of me and missed it so much more than I ever thought I would.
OOPS I have 17 cards made so far!
Reply With Quote Likes