Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts
Default How Much Washi Tape Do You Have?

I haven�t seen one of these threads for a while.I bought a Washi tape organizer today, so I thought I�d ask the question:
How many rolls of Washi tape do you have?
Have you ever completely used up a roll of Washi tape?

My new organizer has 50 rolls in it right now, but I�m sure I have more.

I can�t remember ever actually using up a roll, so if I bought it, I still have at least some of it.

Your turn. Looking forward to reading the replies!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 24 rolls of washi tape. Not so many I guess, and of those there are quite a few I haven’t used. I do like it though, now and again ��
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have quite a few rolls that I bought when everyone was first talking about it. I'm inclined to be the "jump on the bandwagon" type, even when I don't know where the wagon is going, lol.

I have used the washi tape very little. Not ever on a card, but to put on envelope flaps as a pop of color, kind of like a seal.

I mostly bought the tape on sale, so it's not a big loss that I haven't used it.

I have also used it on dies to keep them from shifting as it's pretty easy to remove.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 03:56 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't have any. I think they are to expensive and I prefer to spend my money on other things. Just my opinion
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I started out only using it to hold dies for cutting so I got it cheap. Now I saw some pretty patterns on sale that I am thinking of using for either inside cards or on envies.

I'm not sure...maybe....15-20 rolls? And yes I have used up rolls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

I was slow to jump on the bandwagon, but I’ve jumped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 14. I bought 3 of them because I really liked the design (coffee cups, foiled gold, ombre peach) and the rest came in kits (card or embellishment). I don't use them often, but I have made a few cards with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh my god 72! I just counted. And I hardly ever use it!!Thanks for the question though... I'm purging for a crafters flea market and this reminded me of yet another stash I need to sort.
I have started using it to seal up bags for swaps and such... I figure I'm totally not using it on cards so I might as well use it up however I can. I will say, do use it up because I've found more than one roll that is too old to use -- it sticks to itself so bad and then just shreds when I finally can get it off the roll. So don't hoard the washi lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Oh no. How old do you think it was? I do use mine. So far, I haven’t come across any bad Washi though. I know I’ve had that happen to tolls of masking tape though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep it's just like what happens to the masking tape. When I come across one of those, I just toss it. Lesson: use the washi!I've only had that happen to maybe 5 rolls. Most were years old so I wasn't super surprised -- but 1 or 2 were just like a year old. So I don't know if it's age; it could be just lesser quality washi, I guess.
I'll check all the ones I'm getting rid of -- just to make sure they still work if I'm gonna sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I think I am the winner! I don't know if that is a good thing, lol I have over 200 rolls. I LOVE WASHI!!!!! I do use it all the time. This is probably the one art supply that gets used practically on a daily basis. Washi & my stickers I should say. I use it in my journals.

I have used up rolls of washi. I have doubles of my favorites because I can run out of the design.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 04:35 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I have maybe 15 rolls, DD has a much bigger collection on her desk. I use up rolls all the time and I am not buying more.

Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 05:34 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18 rolls. I purchased 3 rolls and the rest were given to me by friends who thought my crafting would suffer without more tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I think I am the winner! I don't know if that is a good thing, lol I have over 200 rolls. I LOVE WASHI!!!!! I do use it all the time. This is probably the one art supply that gets used practically on a daily basis. Washi & my stickers I should say. I use it in my journals.

I have used up rolls of washi. I have doubles of my favorites because I can run out of the design.
DeeAnn, where do you buy your washi tape? I have quite a bit, but definitely less than half the number of rolls you have! I've found that some older Washi doesn't come off the roll well and doesn't stick well!! :-I
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

no idea, I don't count them.. but, I am using up the ones that came in sets that I was gifted with or bought to get one or two rolls to hold down dies.
because, I tend to stamp first then cut most of the time. it's making a dent in it. and yes, I have used up whole rolls that way.
I had also had some that were just must have been junk tape that as soon as you tried to unroll it from the roll it just tore or did not unroll from it self. ( pitched those) life is short. :mrgreen:
I try to use it mostly on envelope flaps because, I find it peeling up off cards so, I hardly ever use it that way.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 12:03 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soozie4HimView Post
DeeAnn, where do you buy your washi tape? I have quite a bit, but definitely less than half the number of rolls you have! I've found that some older Washi doesn't come off the roll well and doesn't stick well!! :-I
Everywhere! I really do. I buy from the big box craft stores. I buy from Etsy, Ali, Ebay. I get them from stationery stores, bookstores, dollar stores.

Most decorative tape on the market now is branded as Washi. It has become such a catch-all term. The prettiest tapes with good sticking are true Washi from Japan. A lot of times for pure Washi I will go on the hunt at traditional stationery online stores in Japan. They are expensive but worth it. The quality is so beautiful. There are a a few Etsy sellers that have gorgeous true Washi too.

I have been using Washi before it became popular. This is the one trend I am so excited about. That and adult coloring books, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

None!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

About 25.....but I rarely use them for card making. I love using them on layouts. They are much quicker for seaming paper together and I got tired of manufacturers not making their border stickers 12inches. Washi is perfect because I can tear of 14/inches and wrap around the back.

Love Washi and I Need More!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 02:30 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm with lesliespringer and Paula O - none! I didn't actually see the point of them and haven't yet seen a card where I couldn't have achieved the same effect with a strip of patterned paper. So, one thing that I don't need to buy!

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 03:41 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
Oh my god 72! I just counted. And I hardly ever use it!!Thanks for the question though... I'm purging for a crafters flea market and this reminded me of yet another stash I need to sort.
I have started using it to seal up bags for swaps and such... I figure I'm totally not using it on cards so I might as well use it up however I can. I will say, do use it up because I've found more than one roll that is too old to use -- it sticks to itself so bad and then just shreds when I finally can get it off the roll. So don't hoard the washi lol.
I just received some as a Christmas gift. It was a variety box of small washi rolls from Michael's, but I'm not sure how long it sat on the shelf. I used a lot on my Valentine's cards, and there was one roll that was shredding bad toward the end.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

I might have 50 rolls. I enjoying using it on my packaging, envelopes, journals,and to hold dies. I also add it to my patch worked card (made from scraps of paper) and then run it through the Big Shot with a embossing folder. The embossing fold helps to keep the washi tape from coming up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 05:17 AM   #22  
Watercolor Wizard

Love that tip of running it through the Big Shot. I have a Washi tape Pinterest board, and I plan to try some of the ideas.
I tracked down the rest of my Washi tape, put it in my organizer, and counted. I have 132 rolls. Yikes! When I started this thread, I said I had 50 rolls. I think I’m attracted to the glitzy ones. Used some to seal Valentines I sent to my kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Actually I have none! I do have a few strips left over from what I made by stamping on first aide tape, tissue paper on double-sided tape or post it notes, but those were made for a specific card or cards. This was years ago when I was seeing it used a lot. The leftovers I have I stuck to wax paper and there they have been for a long time. Probably should throw them away, as I'm really not into the washi tape thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a bunch. I’m not going to bother to count. I’m just a sucker for really cute office supplies, dating back to the early ‘80s when Hello Kitty finally made it to the U.S. with all her friends and the knock out fun stationery supplies. I use cute tapes especially on the outsides of mail. It’s a lightweight componant to mail art, and it just really jazzes up a package that I’m sending to a friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Default Washi tape

I have 82 rolls. Now that I've counted them I realize I need to get rid of many! Bought that cute little slide-out drawer holder on sale from Michael's, and I really like it for holding my washi and some small ribbon spools. Like some others I have not used much of it, but have now saved ideas in a Pinterest file with hopes of using more. Have never used up a roll. I have some that also sticks to the roll, or not to paper, as others have said. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I just counted and I have 32 rolls. I have used it on some cards, but only specific ones that aren't very transparent. I hate that you can see through the tape to the patterned paper below. I used gold foil washi tape and that worked great. Once I used some patterned washi by mounting it on white paper first and then attaching it to the card. I would love to learn some techniques for using it on cards in fun ways. I hate that I mostly just use it to hold down my paper as I heat emboss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have none. Guess I just always looked at cards that used them and figured I could do it with patterned paper and adhesive. I'm addicted to embossing folders and dies...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

You don't really expect me to count them, do you? Probably 120 rolls. I love it and use it a lot. I was not quick to jump on the bandwagon. But I have found some gorgeous coordinating colors, and I often use 2-3 to anchor or balance my image. Adding a strip or 3 inside my card and on my envelopes is just an added touch. I also use it on gift tags to coordinate with the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 06:14 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know - not tons but enough, will have to count. I saw a fun technique I only tried once but liked it. You just smack down washi tape randomly, going in different directions, overlapping the washi on CS or paper so an area is covered. (I did pay a little attention to colors that played nice plus black.)

Then place an outline stencil on top and trace it. Cut out the shape and you have a washi-shape to put on a card, journal page, etc. The person in the video - which I'll look for - used a reindeer, since I think it was around the holidays. I used stars. You could also draw your own shape, use a ruler, etc.

I haven't used them yet but have one propped up on a book case. It's like when making backgrounds - sock them away until the right card calls for it.

ETA: I forgot - the stencil was outlined and cut on the back of the CS since it was smooth plus any pencil lines that weren't cut away wouldn't show. She just held up the CS to the light to make sure she was covering enough area with washi.Clear as mud, huh.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-16-2018 at 06:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

About this much! I love it and keep buying more .
Attached Thumbnails
How Much Washi Tape Do You Have?-washi.jpg  

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 08:22 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

I have three rolls. I've used some of each on a few cards, and as others have mentioned, I've used it to help hold dies in place.

My favorite use for washi tape, however, is a non-crafting purpose. I wrap a few inches of it around the handles of my serving spoons when I go to pot-luck suppers. I haven't had a spoon "disappear" at the end of the meal since I started doing this. It's easy to remove the tape from the spoons once I get home, and the tape leaves no residue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

True confessions time, I have 170+ rolls. I had never counted them and now I know why! :oops: Hoping to use it more often now that I can match just about anything. Ha!

I purchased some of my favorites a few weeks ago on **********. Beautiful designs and most seem to be the higher quality from Asian manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I don't know - not tons but enough, will have to count. I saw a fun technique I only tried once but liked it. You just smack down washi tape randomly, going in different directions, overlapping the washi on CS or paper so an area is covered. (I did pay a little attention to colors that played nice plus black.)

Then place an outline stencil on top and trace it. Cut out the shape and you have a washi-shape to put on a card, journal page, etc. The person in the video - which I'll look for - used a reindeer, since I think it was around the holidays. I used stars. You could also draw your own shape, use a ruler, etc.

I haven't used them yet but have one propped up on a book case. It's like when making backgrounds - sock them away until the right card calls for it.

ETA: I forgot - the stencil was outlined and cut on the back of the CS since it was smooth plus any pencil lines that weren't cut away wouldn't show. She just held up the CS to the light to make sure she was covering enough area with washi.Clear as mud, huh.
I don't know why I never thought of this. Thank you so much for the idea. I will have to play with my washi tape and make some cute shapes for cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Everywhere! I really do. I buy from the big box craft stores. I buy from Etsy, Ali, Ebay. I get them from stationery stores, bookstores, dollar stores.

Most decorative tape on the market now is branded as Washi. It has become such a catch-all term. The prettiest tapes with good sticking are true Washi from Japan. A lot of times for pure Washi I will go on the hunt at traditional stationery online stores in Japan. They are expensive but worth it. The quality is so beautiful. There are a a few Etsy sellers that have gorgeous true Washi too.

I have been using Washi before it became popular. This is the one trend I am so excited about. That and adult coloring books, lol.
Have you ever purchased from Cute Tape? They have so many beautiful designs, and they categorize their tape by Japanese and other.

Fun Washi Tape Japanese Masking Tape Paper Tape

I only have about 10 or so rolls. I use it mostly to hold down dies. I found one technique for using washi that I really liked -- you put down stripes of complementary tape and then die cut a shape. Your shape then has beautiful stripes.

Here's a nice example:
washi birds

There are some really nice ways to use washi tape, but they don't come to me naturally. Pinterest has a ton of great inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #35  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
Have you ever purchased from Cute Tape? They have so many beautiful designs, and they categorize their tape by Japanese and other.

Fun Washi Tape Japanese Masking Tape Paper Tape

I only have about 10 or so rolls. I use it mostly to hold down dies. I found one technique for using washi that I really liked -- you put down stripes of complementary tape and then die cut a shape. Your shape then has beautiful stripes.

Here's a nice example:
washi birds

There are some really nice ways to use washi tape, but they don't come to me naturally. Pinterest has a ton of great inspiration.

That link to Cute Tape is dangerous! I love the little flowers, mosaic, plaid, and Tour of the World! I need to be strong! 💪
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2018, 08:33 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I know and there was some cute stuff in the sale section too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I only have about a dozen, just not me when it comes to putting on cards but I do use them for tip ins for art journaling.

Like PH in VA I have also used them to "mark" my stuff, be it a potluck, family gathering, etc and not just my spoons but anything I take including folding chairs.

I have also used it on my charger plugs/cords here at home so I know which are mine. They tend to last longer and work better as long as others don't "borrow" them and no more "no that's mine" arguments either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't use them on cards. I do use them on the back of my envelope along the seal for decoration. My first rolls were from a SU demo's retirement items sale.

I've since bought additional rolls and only use them on the envelope!

I have 29 rolls.
Attached Thumbnails
How Much Washi Tape Do You Have?-image.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

If I counted, I would be so mortified!

really...truly...I have 15 sitting on the table...haha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

I have about 60 rolls right now and I use it all the time. I love using it in my cardmaking, scrapbooking, and in my planner. I even use it when I write notes and letters.